• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I don't have a problem with rap beats with a heavy electronic base. I love Dalek, Captain Murphy is ok, and even some of Blu's crackhead material is alright. But it's never really great. Plus a lot of these rap dudes are kinda going to wack dudes like Baauer and Skrillex, etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only person to do EDM rap well was Lupe with Break The Chain.

Super Swah, the cape remains, thought I was M.I.A.? No paper?
Planes, I'm fly plus I don't write no more, its all off of the top I shaved the braids
Stay sharp, mama knew how to raise-a-Blade

Sway obliterated that verse, best verse on the entire album by far.

iavi

EDM rap is kinda corny in general. He does a good job riding the beats but the outcome is bombastic trash about doing drugs pretty much. It's like rap's version of metalcore.

Side B is wack.

Bombastic trash about doing drugs describes the majority of BOTH Trap genres bruh. A lot of hip-hop, actually.

On that note: To be completely honest, I've never really gotten the differentiation between the two 'Traps' when the energies are the same, and the reliance on synths/effects are as prevalent in both sides.

Esch

Banned
Bombastic trash about doing drugs describes the majority of BOTH Trap genres bruh. A lot of hip-hop, actually.
Trash is trash. But at least some trap is fun trash and doesn't feel too high concept, a lot of EDM rap is a little try hard.

On that note: To be completely honest, I've never really gotten the differentiation between the two 'Traps' when the energies are the same, and the reliance on synths/effects are as prevalent in both sides.

One is made by and for black people, one is made by and for white people
troll.png

Trap is the more acceptable successor to bro-step, trap rap is the successor to ringtone rap and dirty south shit.... They're coming from different sources and have different aesthetics, even if they blend together sometimes. I don't really think they sound that alike either despite being synth heavy.

overcast

I can't even see how side b is "trash" when it has 2 of Danny's best songs?

Smokin and Drinking and Dope Song are fucking terrific. Dubstep is under appreciated, and I personally love Dip. Not to mention Float On and Kush Coma are significant to the album overall. I like Kush Coma, but I completely understand why some don't. It could have been better. Handstand is fun, but he's done it before, and done it better. Break It is aight (could have cut one of those 2). Way Up Here sucks.

Honestly, calling the whole second half EDM is a bit ridiculous considering only about 4 of the songs I mentioned can have that label thrown on it. There are heavy trap songs, but even then there is a bit of self awareness of his self destruction that I appreciate.

It would be cool to hear a full on trap tape from Danny, or just some angry/funny shit again. I will agree that it is great live. I have no doubt just next album will be interesting though. I want him to start a feature/single year again. Made some of his best tracks in between XXX/Old.

Side B has some bangers, dunno what yall smoking today. Dubstep, Dope Song, Smokin & Drinkin, Float On...

I wish that Blueberry song was on the album.

Detox

Edm trap doesn't make me a bloodhound for the bread, get my benihanas on working two pots. Jeezy and TI's trap is very different from that shit that will leave no effect on its listener.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dope Song is easily Top 3 songs Danny has ever made, that alone keeps Side B from being trash.

Both Side A and Side B have their equal share of zzzzz songs.

iavi

Edm trap doesn't make me a bloodhound for the bread, get my benihanas on working two pots. Jeezy and TI's trap is very different from that shit that will leave no effect on its listener.

I'll argue that's more because of the lyrical content than production, though.

As far as Side A vs B, I like Side B more. BLASPHEMY, not. Dip, Dope Song, Break it, those still get played while only 25 bucks and Wonderbread from side A are thrown into rotation and nowhere near as frequently as the tracks from B.

Side A was nowhere near as fun as side B, while being nowhere near as poignant as grimy Danny off of XXX.

Uh, Hudmo and Zomby got in a fight?

Stereogum said:
Hudson Mohawke and Zomby got into a fight last night after Zomby played a show at London’s XOYO. The pair took to Twitter shortly after to exchange some words. Zomby tweeted that HudMo “got the shit slapped out of him” and “caught 3 in the face,” accompanied by a picture of his bloody knuckle which was later taken down. Details about the why are still unclear, but both artists mentioned their fashion choices for the night.

Detox

bitch made guys fighting over their clothes or even just bringing it up

50 had them wearing vests now they wearing dresses

Esch

Banned
Might jump in in a bit. Too busy arguing with PhoenixDark. Son is saying Life is What You Make It is better than Money, Cash, Hoes

ibxdRKQe7eCltd.gif

Kwixotik

Freddie Gibbs is the voice of not only a generation, but an entire subset of the population that has existed for the entire history of the human race

drunk. He's dope tho

Uh, Hudmo and Zomby got in a fight?

More proof that Zomby is not only a terrible musician, but a terrible human being as well

Old is worse than XXX, The Hybrid, and Detroit State Of Mind parts 3 & 4.

I can definitely agree with the first two, unsure about DSOM though. I'd have to revisit them. Either way, OLD is basically an inferior XXX. Danny tries to cover the same ground by merely reversing the organization of XXX. I think this ended up cutting the "narrative" impact of the album, which was already done p succinctly on XXX in the first place.

With that being said, OLD carries some straight heaters. There's no denying that. I just hope Danny is more progressive/ambitious thematically on the next one

big ander

Where Were U in '92 is a good album :/
"are you done mixing yet? are you--are you" and the blade runner quote, c'mon

tho tbh I never listened to With Love all the way through and Zomby has always seemed kinda cruddy, definitely feel like Ross was in the right here. Still they're both being lame

I don't know how anyone could like that Jay Z song. Shit sounds like straight trash.

Meanwhile Nas went IN on his track. SMH at the fact this is even being debated.

Gods Son > Satanic Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom