• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Brehs, that feeling when you find a new dealer and it's love at first sight. Bang for your buck and some good shit. Haven't felt this good while high on weed for a long time.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Brehs, that feeling when you find a new dealer and it's love at first sight. Bang for your buck and some good shit. Haven't felt this good while high on weed for a long time.
Wait till you get medicinal clubs...

#oneday
#newamerica

#nevergunnahappen

effzee

brehs I'm late but I gotta admit the last few tracks Drake has thrown out are crazy. 0 To 100, Draft Day...Trophies is aite too. This shit knocks, especially those drums on Draft Day. Too bad you know his album is gonna be at least 60% lactose.

Yup. Drake always has these tracks where you think man imagine a full album like this? Then you get to the album and more than half is sung.

Radio plays Drake all day every day but the current bunch of songs don't bother me.

Is Believe Me even considered a Wayne track? Works more as a Drake song.

Gajar ka halwa remains the GOAT.

Shit I thought I was the only one under the age of 50 who thought this.

All my friends, cousins, and wife give me the weirdest looks for thinking this. Give me Gajar Ka Halwa slightly warmed with that koya (burnt milk?) stuff crumbled in?

Oh man.

I never cared for things flavored with rose or rosewater. Always has a weird.. aftertaste?

Yeah I feel that, I grew up with it but I can imagine how it can turn some people off. Plus some sweets just use too much which can be kinda gross. Still, when used right, for me it adds a kind of delicacy to the likes of baklava, nougat, turkish delight, ice cream, and rice puddings which can help cut the sweetness. Is rosewater common/used at all in Indian sweets, in general?

Cheddahz

Banned
Yo guys, I started working again today and it was great. I got to help set up for an art show and all that, so it was cool. I also decided to start using Tinder again and I actually matched up with this chick on their she seems cool as shit, so that's cool

It's been a good day

DominoKid

Seen a new Shmurda vid on Revolt. Man this dude bite southern shit with no hesitation. are New Yorkers still jockin this dude like he got something?

Tokubetsu

Yo guys, I started working again today and it was great. I got to help set up for an art show and all that, so it was cool. I also decided to start using Tinder again and I actually matched up with this chick on their she seems cool as shit, so that's cool

It's been a good day

Blessings up!

overcast

It's been a good day
Nicely done Chedda. My tinder date was cool at first but I got over it. Drought continues here.

Y'all gotta start PM'ing me or posting PSN's. Getting a PS4 at midnight Monday.

Cudder

We broadcasted a live event today at work, some charity/fundraiser with celebrities to fight against cancer. Closed the show with Lupe and Common playing some song lol.

Esch

Banned
Yeah I feel that, I grew up with it but I can imagine how it can turn some people off. Plus some sweets just use too much which can be kinda gross. Still, when used right, for me it adds a kind of delicacy to the likes of baklava, nougat, turkish delight, ice cream, and rice puddings which can help cut the sweetness. Is rosewater common/used at all in Indian sweets, in general?
I really like the fragrance but sometimes it has a weird like... mouthfeel? It's decently common in Indian food. They usually blast that shit all over ice cream(kulfi) and sometimes baked goods. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not.

I think this is arguably Kanye's biggest strength as a mentor. He did wonders in terms of refinement for all the big pick ups: Legend, Big Sean, CuDi, Common, Pusha T, CyHi even. Look at how their styles evolved and refined to the essence of what makes them notable. Some prospered more than others though, and some weren't as notable or worth investing in as a mentor or label in the first place (Cons, GLC, Teyana even).

TBH I kind of wish Jay did more of this. He pretty much gives his signees a big budget but is very hands off, even for non-rappers on Roc Nation, when I think he would have the most insight to offer in the game than everyone right now. Dude is really more comfortable getting in the studio with Rozay than doing groundwork with his own artists. It seems like most of the insight he has to offer is entrepreneurial than creative, though, and even still it's only other established artists who benefit instead of the J. Coles and Jay Elecs.

Jay has always been a businessman first and foremost though. I mean he found a lane and built what he built with it but looking at his career, he networked his way to being noticed and then capitalized on the fact that he found that right formula.

To illustrate my point.. how much has Jay actually grown/developed post Hard Knock Vol 1? And I understand that not everyone that does experiment has those risks resonate but the fact that they are experimenting kind of shows that they feel they have an understanding and a need to keep moving forward with music.

Why do people insist so heavily on these everyday rapguy comparisons (and with Phonte too)? Drake draws on those sources but hes just as much a product of Jay-Z and Lil Wayne and Mase and guys like that. None of whom are guys interested in conscious rap.

lmao @ you trying to spin it like Kanye made those guys.

He just gave them a couple beats and album covers fam.

People can say what they want about Kanye but the dude knows music. He put in time and effort and grew to an understanding of it and he definitely shares that with others that he works with. Off the top of my head the only other rapper I can think of that experimented and saw anywhere near the success that Kanye did is 3K and he really didn't even get close to the success that Kanye has. In that sense.. I almost want to compare Kanye to Dre in terms of understanding music in their prime and recognizing and mentoring other newer artists in such a way that it refines them.

Also.. I hear zero Jay and zero Mase in Drake. Drake originally had a decent amount of that indie rock influence but as he started to work with Wayne more that dropped away and now he's extremely southern influence-sounding.

Jay doesn't really develop artists, he puts them in a position to win and waits for the outcome. If it works (Cole) it works, and if it doesn't (Jay Elec, Bleek) oh well. But that's not exclusive to Jay, it's how just about everyone operates. The days of proper A&Rs and R&D are long gone. Labels want to sign guys who already have a fanbase or a viral hit song so they can sell some singles; if the artist stays around cool, if not they're out of the building with no major losses sustained (ie Bobby Shmurda next year).

I find it interesting that No I.D. is spending quite a bit of time trying to mold Vince Staples. Personally I think Vince fucked up by signing to a major and I can't even imagine him making singles that sell well, but No I.D. is still helping him.

Kanye just uses people. Right now he's all about Travis Scott, a couple years ago he was all about Pusha T, Big Sean was all over Cruel Summer at one point, etc. Before them it was that white dude who sung the hook on Forever Young. Eventually he finds a new toy to obsess over.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Danny Brown is in Toronto tomorrow
Holla back.

My hype for All Day is approaching I dont like remix levels

drop it already yeezy

til then, here are some KTT user tour remakes from the yeezus tour. pretty nice

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/45599520/file.html
enzo, if you haven't listened to this- they're must listen for fans
Will give this a run through some time in the near future. Already ready to cry to that Cold intro all over again.

Did anyone post this?

Gonna wait for impressions of this. I think like many people here that Quest is talented, but going through full projects of his is a slog. This shit stays sync'd to my phone at all times though (the only YT version is a weird remix that repeats though, wtf).

Jay has always been a businessman first and foremost though. I mean he found a lane and built what he built with it but looking at his career, he networked his way to being noticed and then capitalized on the fact that he found that right formula.

To illustrate my point.. how much has Jay actually grown/developed post Hard Knock Vol 1? And I understand that not everyone that does experiment has those risks resonate but the fact that they are experimenting kind of shows that they feel they have an understanding and a need to keep moving forward with music.
I'm not sure how much of his sound in general evolved, but wouldn't you say after the explosive successes like The Black Album and BP3 he'd at least have something to offer the new generation in terms of what resonates with people at large or about branding or how to have a great ear for production or something?

This kind of opens up an interesting discussion though. There's always talk of artist development no longer existing in hip-hop, so in light of that, who are the best [potential] mentors right now? Everyone and their weed carrier has their own artist and label, but how many of these guys are willing to work on artists until it's the right time and content to put out there and let something build? Finna edit some names into this post in a second after doing some research.

Jay doesn't really develop artists, he puts them in a position to win and waits for the outcome. If it works (Cole) it works, and if it doesn't (Jay Elec, Bleek) oh well. But that's not exclusive to Jay, it's how just about everyone operates. The days of proper A&Rs and R&D are long gone. Labels want to sign guys who already have a fanbase or a viral hit song so they can sell some singles; if the artist stays around cool, if not they're out of the building with no major losses sustained (ie Bobby Shmurda next year).

I find it interesting that No I.D. is spending quite a bit of time trying to mold Vince Staples. Personally I think Vince fucked up by signing to a major and I can't even imagine him making singles that sell well, but No I.D. is still helping him.

Kanye just uses people. Right now he's all about Travis Scott, a couple years ago he was all about Pusha T, Big Sean was all over Cruel Summer at one point, etc. Before them it was that white dude who sung the hook on Forever Young. Eventually he finds a new toy to obsess over.

Wouldn't you say.. by your own description that Jay is basically playing the role of A&R though? I mean I get what you're saying about the traditional roles and how they're sort of dissolving but that doesn't change that that Jay is basically being an A&R in terms of how he's approaching 'his artists'. I mean I personally feel like the fact that Jay didn't know what the fuck he was doing creatively was proven when he was "running" Def Jam and fucked release dates and marketing to hell and back.

I feel like No I.D. is one of these loyalty type dudes. Which is great... for now. Eventually we'll see that Wu Tang-esque "Maaaan I want to release but Homeboy #20 doesn't' feel like the sound is perfect yet. ... etc..

I'm not sure how much of his sound in general evolved, but wouldn't you say after the explosive successes like The Black Album and BP3 he'd at least have something to offer the new generation in terms of what resonates with people at large or about branding or how to have a great ear for production or something?

This kind of opens up an interesting discussion though. There's always talk of artist development no longer existing in hip-hop, so in light of that, who are the best [potential] mentors right now? Everyone and their weed carrier has their own artist and label, but how many of these guys are willing to work on artists until it's the right time and content to put out there and let something build? Finna edit some names into this post in a second after doing some research.

Jay definitely has knowledge.. but I feel like he's had too much experience with Puffy to actually invest in an artist. Like.. to him.. Artists are stocks you invest in.. and they either pour money back out or fuck it, drop em. Does Jay have knowledge? Of course he does. I just think he's in the
fuck you pay me, not going to share a fucking cent" mode right now.

But as far as mentoring... yeah.. that shit is rare as fuck atm. Even in terms of the backpacking underground.. I feel like it's relatively rare. It used to be more common in underground rap circles but it sort of just disappeared.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wat, so now putting your effort in one place at one time is a bad thing? Especially when that's how the biggest successes occur and when they've reached that point where they need that push to get them out of boot camp and into the market? I'd hardly even call those obsessions when they usually correlate directly with upcoming releases or active work on projects. All of these allegedly temporary toys were out in Mexico working on Yeezus 2.

Right now Ye hasn't said shit about Travis Scott, nowhere to be found on Days Before Rodeo either. He's just buzzing now because the media is realizing how much work he's put in at GOOD Sessions (notably giving Pusha Blocka, working on Yeezus) because he never gets the name drop and that off of a single YouTube song he was called in to meet with Kanye and T.I., both of whom have stake in his success, which is great interview fodder. He literally went from Love Sick to working on Mercy, and the only outlet that noticed were two white Jewish guys that do hip-hop comedy sketches. Let that sink in.

As for Pusha, Ye has always been a fan of the Clipse, also in part because he stans Pharrell. Pusha got signed pre-MBDTF, and his album came out 3+ years later. Throughout all those years you had so many opportunities/connections either gained through association or learned from being with Ye in the studio (like every other Pusha interview is him talking about what he learned from Ye). This dude is still doing crossover features to this day. Pusha is probably the clearest example of artist and brand development.

Big Sean was signed long before Kanye was really willing to make him move like that. The story goes he was signed off the strength of a freestyle at a radio station, right? Kanye waited till this dude went out on his own grind before he made that label push, instead of Sean just having his platter handed to him (this is where most GOOD failures stem from outside of artists with nothing really novel about them IMO). Once the FF movement got rolling with Supa Dupa, he got in there with No I.D. and shit popped off. He was only all over Cruel Summer because his verses and the songs he was on made the cut; this dude took the best verses from his album and gave them to those songs, including a memorable verse on the smash of the summer that year. The Ye/Sean relationship is a complicated one though, way too many question marks in their history, and I think you could make a decent argument for Sean being more self-made but it really is synergistic. Without that Kanye cosign and process, Sean would be any of these other flavour of the month rappers.

I have no idea what happened to Mr. Hudson. His wiki makes it seem like he's been chilling doing non-solo stuff though. D'Banj tier.

Jay definitely has knowledge.. but I feel like he's had too much experience with Puffy to actually invest in an artist. Like.. to him.. Artists are stocks you invest in.. and they either pour money back out or fuck it, drop em. Does Jay have knowledge? Of course he does. I just think he's in the
fuck you pay me, not going to share a fucking cent" mode right now.

But as far as mentoring... yeah.. that shit is rare as fuck atm. Even in terms of the backpacking underground.. I feel like it's relatively rare. It used to be more common in underground rap circles but it sort of just disappeared.
This is actually.. a very good way to look at it. Jay makes those investments where he knows he'll get something out of it no matter what the trajectory (or it's usually a safe one). He approaches features very similarly too. Very calculated.

Ye acts off of emotion, and is obviously not as good of a businessman. I think when Ye sees something he likes, he also sees what needs improvement and likes to "fix" things that have something going for them. I really don't think he gives a fuck about who he works with or if he'll maximize profits off of it if he thinks they're dope, I guess that's sort of why the Ye cosign is coveted amongst this generation. This is the dude that's been holed up in studios with Theo London for years even though nothing has been released and he's not on G.O.O.D., flies people out on his own bill if he thinks they can put a new perspective on a song, wants to executively produce Tyga's album because [reasons] and signs people off of pretty damn limited information.

- - -

I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of other good mentors. Short list:

Ross - Proven ear for talent, built his entire label around supporting all of his artists simultaneously. MMG platform is strong, and they make sure to always cross-promote. It's also kind of cool how he still is trying to keep a budget open for Gunplay despite him being a perpetual fuck up.

Dre - The most similar to Kanye because of his work ethic, also probably the most explicit in terms of mentoring young artists and expecting nothing out of it. Pretty sure some stories came out a while back about him tweaking songs or doing beats for free just cause.

will.i.am (?) - Cockroaches survive, and if you're in a similar lane that will.i.am is in, I think out of anyone in the pure pop-rap world (Pitbull, etc.) he has the most diverse experience from both an artistic and production perspective to have you survive as well. Whenever he starts to fizzle, if not already, I think he could channel what he's doing into a protege and not do as bad as most artists do.

Drake (?) - I mean, let's face it, he's been through the worst. He knows better than most that quality music will keep you relevant no matter how much shit you get slung at you. Those same people making his memes are buying his albums. I think he's had pretty shitty success ATM with new artists, but he literally makes careers out of jumping on random songs. Closely watching PartyNextDoor incubate rate now, it seems like Drake is taking it slow with these artists (though I don't think anyone he has will make it far). Majid Jordan dropped out of nowhere too with little prep or promo, which gives me the idea that he's willing to let things grow organically or on their own merits instead of blowing your entire budget on something with a Drake-feature single. Value for groundwork is a good thing.

DominoKid

How could you not hear some Jay and Mase in Drake. Especially Mase?

I dont think a lot of these rappers now would tell it but they fuck w/ Mase as an artist and an entertainer. Maybe not the southern rappers cause theyre on their own shit. but Ye has made it known.

Also im hesitant to give Ross credit for talent development. Wale and Meek are free agent acquisitions which are good grabs for him. They already had a platform built though. But Gunplay or Fresh or Stalley [lol] gotta pop off before i give him credit for developing artists.

Gibbs put up maybe the best rap show I've ever been to last night. Crazy energy, dude is animated as hell when performing. Master-class live rapping. Every line was spat.

Venue was sold out and he even performed Old English (with an extended verse even if I wasn't tripping of second hand weed smoke) which made the crowd go nuts.

Only nitpick I can find is that Madlib beats could have been mixed better. At first I thought they weren't even playing them in their original form when Thuggin started. Well can't get those studio nuances in a front row live setting anyway.

Absolutely go if he's hitting your town.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm late to this but been listening to Chanel Vintage with Future/Thugger/Metro a lot lately, it's become one of my favorite ignorant tracks of the year. Future brings more energy on this than he did on any track on Honest and Thug is in prime form. Good shit. 👌

2 Cups Stuffed is still the best Young Thug track.

BwUY5o9IgAEpLBU.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If it's still a thing I have high hopes for Metro Thuggin after Blanguage, Cash Talk and Chanel Vintage. Sometimes a rapper and a producer are just right for each other.

big ander

yea I saw that shmurda pic get like 30k retweets and all the responses were just "LOL" and wasn't sure-- is the entire joke in the image just that the song and video have been popular for much longer? the entire joke is that a video was reuploaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom