• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I know everyone's always praising Redman for the funky early stuff, but honestly I love the '98-'01 sound, including El Nino and Blackout!.

Same, Doc's Da Name 2000 is a great fucking album. And then he followed it up with Blackout. He was probably one of my top 3 favorite rappers during that time.

Tokubetsu

Same, Doc's Da Name 2000 is a great fucking album. And then he followed it up with Blackout. He was probably one of my top 3 favorite rappers during that time.

Those are the Redman albums I grew up with. The "I'll Bee Dat" video was a staple of my childhood.. They played this shit constantly on BET in 98. (I was 10 if you wanted to feel old lmao)

IIRC my sister got the album for her bf for christmas and I got him to tape it for me.

cacophony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlWTPBV5eGw

HDZk0IL.gif

thabiz

A-Villa - Carry On Tradition

1. Pay Homage (Intro)
2. Carry On Tradition f/Rapper Big Pooh & Mikkey Halsted
3. The Warrior, The Philosopher, The Rebel f/Lil’ Fame of M.O.P., Cormega, Killer Mike
4. Live From The Villa f/Action Bronson, Roc Marciano, Willie The Kid
5. Dynamite S.O.U.L. F/Guilty Simpson, Ras Kass, Fashawn, Skyzoo
6. Gunnin’ For The Throne f/Elzhi, Naledge, Freddie Gibbs, Mikkey Halsted, Vic Spencer
7. Tear It Down f/Blu / A.M.S.M. f/Chaundon & Reks
8. A Hustler’s Soliloquy f/Roc Marciano
9. Pass The Wire f/Noreaga, Kool G Rap, Twone Gabz
10. Mega Trifle f/Joell Ortiz & Scheme
11. The Colosseum f/Big K.R.I.T., Termanology, & Inspectah Deck
12. The Wild Bunch f/Oh No, Roc Marciano, & Sean Price
13. Sucker Free f/Saigon, Jon Connor, Joe Budden, & BJ The Chicago Kid
14. A Day In The Life f/AZ, Havoc, Freeway, Macie Stewart
15. Never Give You Up (One For Ana) f/Rapsody, Guilty Simpson, Villa, & Avalyn Villagomez

Nov 4

Vorheez

Smoking and listening to red is great. Do yourself a favour and check out the Blackout album with Method Man. Both red and meth are underrated.

You should probably listen to Dmx's albums next if you want that aggression.
Yeah that's what I thought too, but for whatever reason I find the dude corny. It feels like hes trying too hard to be rugged and tough. I mean, I don't doubt he is, but when your goal when you get into the studio is to sound angry and tough, just doesn't sound right. That's the difference, I feel Reds aggression isn't so much intentional as it is just a result of being in the studio and his passion for the music.

Might also have something to do with my first exposure to DMX being Cradle 2 the Grave. It was a good movie, but everytime he's on a track talking about how tough he is I always just pictured him jumping that ATV off a skyscraper or whatever the fuck. Messed with my image of him

PBY

Banned
Yeah that's what I thought too, but for whatever reason I find the dude corny. It feels like hes trying too hard to be rugged and tough. I mean, I don't doubt he is, but when your goal when you get into the studio is to sound angry and tough, just doesn't sound right. That's the difference, I feel Reds aggression isn't so much intentional as it is just a result of being in the studio and his passion for the music.

Might also have something to do with my first exposure to DMX being Cradle 2 the Grave. It was a good movie, but everytime he's on a track talking about how tough he is I always just pictured him jumping that ATV off a skyscraper or whatever the fuck. Messed with my image of him
Don't like Dmx

A-Villa - Carry On Tradition

1. Pay Homage (Intro)
2. Carry On Tradition f/Rapper Big Pooh & Mikkey Halsted
3. The Warrior, The Philosopher, The Rebel f/Lil’ Fame of M.O.P., Cormega, Killer Mike
4. Live From The Villa f/Action Bronson, Roc Marciano, Willie The Kid
5. Dynamite S.O.U.L. F/Guilty Simpson, Ras Kass, Fashawn, Skyzoo
6. Gunnin’ For The Throne f/Elzhi, Naledge, Freddie Gibbs, Mikkey Halsted, Vic Spencer
7. Tear It Down f/Blu / A.M.S.M. f/Chaundon & Reks
8. A Hustler’s Soliloquy f/Roc Marciano
9. Pass The Wire f/Noreaga, Kool G Rap, Twone Gabz
10. Mega Trifle f/Joell Ortiz & Scheme
11. The Colosseum f/Big K.R.I.T., Termanology, & Inspectah Deck
12. The Wild Bunch f/Oh No, Roc Marciano, & Sean Price
13. Sucker Free f/Saigon, Jon Connor, Joe Budden, & BJ The Chicago Kid
14. A Day In The Life f/AZ, Havoc, Freeway, Macie Stewart
15. Never Give You Up (One For Ana) f/Rapsody, Guilty Simpson, Villa, & Avalyn Villagomez

Nov 4

Nice. Although A Hustler’s Soliloquy is a very old track...I hope the rest are new.

tmdorsey

You know, I said this shit a few months ago, but I'm telling you guys again... Redman is one of the most underrated ever. I think this dude can be considered top 20, period. I'm that guy that prefers flow over lyricism most of the time, thats why I fuck with artists like Gucci and Juicy J. So I've always been inclined to lean more towards artists that are on point with their flow, and few can groove over a track like Redman with the funk shit. Nobody spits like Red does, people have tried to mimic his shit, but nobody can do like he can.

And man, how about his energy? Especially his earlier albums, this dude loses his mind in the studio. I get goosebumps to his shit on the regular and few other artists can relieve some aggression like a Red track. This is also very important to me when picking who I listen to frequently, he has to have some anger, some issues, I want my hip hop to be the artists way of venting. I want to match that level of aggression and hear the passion. I come from a brutal death metal/goregrind (i see you courage) background, so its influenced the energy I expect of my artists.

I've been bouncing between Dare Iz A Darkside and Muddy Waters the past few weeks, I might do a track by track breakdown later, but for now Green Island is one of my favorite tracks ever. Across all genres of music. I remember I was doing a paper for school when it came on for the first time and I lost focus, ended up putting it on repeat while being hypnotized for like 20 mins. 4:33 is one of the greatest moments in hip hop.

Best way to sum up Redman? Yo, I dont even smoke but this dude about to make me

I think he's underrated as a lyricst too. I mean sure he's not thought provoking or anything, but his wordplay has always been pretty good. He's been in my top 10 forever.

Branson Branson of his is a classic example.

I'm not familar with Black Milk. What's the name of this album yall are going on about?

I'm not familar with Black Milk. What's the name of this album yall are going on about?

If There's A Hell Below. He's a Detroit producer known for hard drums; used to be a sample chopping god but has since successfully moved more towards live instrumentation. He produced some tracks for Slum Village and was sort of a Dilla acolyte.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I read up on Wikipedia, so I'm more or less an expert, but it says he did a bunch of bullshit, then Tronic came out in 08. Y'all can pretend that forming some bullshit group with local artists count as "being in the game" all you want, but bottom line, he's been in the game for a maximum of 8 years.

Definite knowledge gap that needs filling for sure, and I'm going to get on that ASAP, but let's not oversell how big a name this dude is.

HiResDes

I read up on Wikipedia, so I'm more or less an expert, but it says he did a bunch of bullshit, then Tronic came out in 08. Y'all can pretend that forming some bullshit group with local artists count as "being in the game" all you want, but bottom line, he's been in the game for a maximum of 8 years.

Definite knowledge gap that needs filling for sure, and I'm going to get on that ASAP, but let's not oversell how big a name this dude is.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/black_milk_f1/sound_of_the_city_volume_1/

Esch

Banned
I hope the ultimate end point of this conversation isn't WanderingWind telling us he's never listened to some Slum Village.

AiBMXAL.gif

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So what's the consensus then? Tronic or Hell Below for a intro course?

I hope the ultimate end point of this conversation isn't WanderingWind telling us he's never listened to some Slum Village.

AiBMXAL.gif

Oh, shit, so Black Milk is on some legendary level like that then? No wonder y'all stressed over this.

HiResDes

So what's the consensus then? Tronic or Hell Below for a intro course?

I'd say Tronic or No Poison first. Tronic sounds a lot different though, so if you're short on time just do No Poison then Hell Below. And hurry up.

Does anyone else think Under Pressure sounds a lot like ComfortZone?

The production slightly, but their subject matter couldn't be more different. ComfortZone is way better.

HiResDes

Gang Related on Logic's album is dope, forreal. Dude can definitely spit, but I don't feel he sounds good when he's not spitting fast. The rapid pace conceals his rather lame tone better.

I remember seeing Logic at the Maryland State Fair.

I'm not as high on him as some, but he does rep Maryland hard. (Gaithersberg is basically a DC suburb, but whatever.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom