• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Des when you listened to the title track 'Under Pressure'

tell me what was the first song that popped up in your head

Backseat Freestyle. The whole album is a ripoff of GKMC, but like a decent made knockoff. Like those Chinese Samsung Galaxy knockoffs you can find on Amazon. Okay maybe it's a 6/10, but I was expecting to go 3/10 on it.

IrishNinja

I hope the ultimate end point of this conversation isn't WanderingWind telling us he's never listened to some Slum Village.

AiBMXAL.gif

better or worse than the I DONT LIKE DMX camp? like when i was a field medic and patients flatlined the protocol was literally epinephrine, atropine & It's Dark And Hell's Hot

Koozek

Nah he's a great supporting cast member but you need to go ahead and listen to this. When I think detroit hip hop, i really think of this album:

slumvillage_fantastic_vol2.jpg

My man. All-time Top 3 for me (as a representative for SV and Dilla in general - impossible to choose only one album).

How can anyone not like Dmx

He's hardcore, aggressive, I mean he's not the illest lyrically but the guy can rap.

Dame Grease and Swizz gave him a soubd that worked perfectly with his voice and rapstyle.

Plus he was topping the charts like 5 albums straight. Aside from the whole being a crackhead thing, X had a serious run. I'd rank his first 5 albums way over Jays first five.

Only mentioned jay because they were in competition at that time in New York.

Jay knows he got lucky that X did what he did to himself. That infamous battle back in the day was won by X afterall, according to people who seen it.

Incoming Esch post telling me why I'm wrong and Jay is great

Esch

Banned
Nope, I love DMX but i'm gonna definitely drop you a
dCNMiiR.png
for the DMX first 5 > Jay's first 5.

DMX's moon was already waning after his 2nd album.

As for the battle....He got a tie in DMX's territory, you already know what that mean.

never really liked DMX until that roller coaster video tbh

Really wouldn't expect any better of you.

Nope, I love DMX but i'm gonna definitely drop you a
dCNMiiR.png
for the DMX first 5 > Jay's first 5.

DMX's moon was already waning after his 2nd album.

As for the battle....He got a tie in DMX's territory, you already know what that mean.

I'm not a big fan of all Jays early stuff. I don't like Reasonable Doubt as y'all know already. I'm a jay fan, but some of his earlier shit just hasn't aged as well. Especially Reasonable Doubt. Might have to give it another honest listen and see how I feel, been a long time since I bumped the while thing.

I woulda been ten times more excited to see Meth, Red and X at the hard knock life tour than Jay.

As for the battle I was just baiting Esch, I don't really know anything about what went down. Would still have loved to see footage of it though.

Esch

Banned
So what you're saying is that Reasonable Doubt hasn't aged as well as all of DMX albums full of Swizz Beats and Dame Grease casio shit from the late 90s.

n6Tgwoy.png

Honestly yeah. That intro track of Its Dark still gets me hyped.

Like I said I'll give RD another listen and post impressions.

Still have to post what I think of DOC too, there's no time limit on the weekly classic thing right? Well I mean clearly it's a weekly thing but I'm slow as fuck to listen to music sometimes.

Esch

Banned
I didn't like RD until years after I first heard it so I can't really fault anyone for not liking it. For whatever reason I think it's one of those joints that takes a while to really sink into you.

DMX and 50 Cent catalogues aged very poorly imo.

JohnDoe

Banned
We still doing this classic of the week shit? How does it work, can we just go ahead and suggest a classic gaf-hop should listen to this week?

Because I want everyone to listen to this shit again:

V4sr0Bv.jpg

Grimey as fuck brehs. This is my favorite Redman album. Soooo goood.

Tokubetsu

Not a Jay fan at all but Esch is right. The only DMX albums worth listening to are his first two. "...And Then There Was X" is okay but I remember being disappointed with it even at 11 years old.

I didn't like RD until years after I first heard it so I can't really fault anyone for not liking it. For whatever reason I think it's one of those joints that takes a while to really sink into you.

DMX and 50 Cent catalogues aged very poorly imo.

The first two DMX albums are incredible. The third one is less fun, but I still go back to it, once in a while. After that it's only individual tracks here and there that I really enjoy.

Reasonable Doubt though, I go back to that all the time. Classic.

You know, I said this shit a few months ago, but I'm telling you guys again... Redman is one of the most underrated ever. I think this dude can be considered top 20, period. I'm that guy that prefers flow over lyricism most of the time, thats why I fuck with artists like Gucci and Juicy J. So I've always been inclined to lean more towards artists that are on point with their flow, and few can groove over a track like Redman with the funk shit. Nobody spits like Red does, people have tried to mimic his shit, but nobody can do like he can.

And man, how about his energy? Especially his earlier albums, this dude loses his mind in the studio. I get goosebumps to his shit on the regular and few other artists can relieve some aggression like a Red track. This is also very important to me when picking who I listen to frequently, he has to have some anger, some issues, I want my hip hop to be the artists way of venting. I want to match that level of aggression and hear the passion. I come from a brutal death metal/goregrind (i see you courage) background, so its influenced the energy I expect of my artists.

I've been bouncing between Dare Iz A Darkside and Muddy Waters the past few weeks, I might do a track by track breakdown later, but for now Green Island is one of my favorite tracks ever. Across all genres of music. I remember I was doing a paper for school when it came on for the first time and I lost focus, ended up putting it on repeat while being hypnotized for like 20 mins. 4:33 is one of the greatest moments in hip hop.

Best way to sum up Redman? Yo, I dont even smoke but this dude about to make me
Fucking yes. Redman is one my favorites as well, the more Redman fans the better. #LookOutForMuddyWaters2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom