• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
New Shabazz Palaces is pretty awesome. Just based off early impressions it might have to dethrone Pinata, Fazoland and So it Goes but we'll see. I think I'll do a whole write up later this week.

RP912

Banned
That new thread scent.

Its been a while since I bump some odd future albums. It seems like their work is so hard to listen to on a regular basis.

codhand

RE: Shabazz Palaces

There's a special zone that great albums find themselves in where your first impression isn't something specific, or clear, or even coherent. Nothing about the production or lyrics or content at all. It's just...fuuuuuuuck. Like, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. It keeps you out of the past (reference building) and future (noting observations to flesh out) and plants you firmly in the present. One of my favorite things in the whole word is just being trapped in that zone with an album and being completely swallowed up by its presence. All of my personal favorites can transport me there.

Lese Majesty is all up in that zone. First listen had me completely engaged in the album moment by moment. The production changes so gradually, with such fluidity and the entire record is so cohesive that you just lose yourself in it. It's insane.

Quick example with another great record: every once in a while during Pinata you stop and think about how dope Madlib is, right? And how long he's been dope, how varied the dudes he's worked with have been, how smooth he always is. And Gibbs being a monster and killing tracks and knowing exactly how to approach any given beats nooks and crannies. Pinata is a fantastic album, but Pinata can't drag me out of my own mind. Lese Majesty did that shit with ease. Beautiful album.

PS: the effortlessness of its transitions and how quick they execute ideas and move on reminds me a lot of The Avalanches in the best way possible. In and out, always pushing forward. Flirting briefly with darker, scaled down moments before moving back into these lush multi layered all angle attacks. Just amazing.

you should check out Cherrywine, Butterfly's original live band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjXQd3VL1k

Ninja Dom

GAF is my new go-to place for hip-hop. HiResDes's half year and quarter year breakdowns and this thread is where 90% of my hip-hop comes from.

Honestly never heard of Shabazz Palaces although I have heard of Digable Planets. I don't know if it's gonna be my shit but I'll check a few YouTube vids and see waa-gwaaan first.

PlayDat

Sway took my wife (then girlfriend) out for drinks when she was an MTV intern because he "takes out the interns for drinks to be friendly" (dude's nearly double her age), gets a buzz going, drops her off at her apartment, then proceeds to lean and make his move. She runs inside scared, he fires off a couple lame ass apology texts about how "he was inappropriate" and "didn't mean anything by it".

Fuck Sway.

From the Huey Lewis thread.

RP912

Banned
I seriously can't do another rae album. It's bad enough he tried so hard to ruin the legacy of the purple tape by releasing the sequel :/.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You've never heard of Sir Michael before? Lap of Lux is even better than Banco tbh.

Most of his recent stuff hasn't really connected with me, but Lap of Lux is such a great tape.

Didn't realize Banco was a studio album. I'll get around to listening soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've stopped listening to Rae's singles even. I just don't care. Him and Snoop have weathered their legacy to the point where I don't think there is a creative bone left in their bodies. I know exactly what they'll sound like on a record or verse and know it won't entertain me.

There are many other artists I haven't cared for in a hot minute I'll still give the courtesy listen because they still have potential though.

RP912

Banned
The Rocks Report is probably the best piece of work Michael Rocks came out with. Everything else is ok to meh.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Been a while, had a busy summer.

I was wrong about oxymoron. Without cynical ass gafhop making me want to hate everything (I still love y'all though) I actually gave it a proper listen and the album is damn good. 8/10.

It's old but titty two chainz wuda cuda shuda is the shit.

Next to it is the fist Lupe song to ever get more than a casual listen from me. Best thing Lupe has ever done.

I have commons new album but haven't had any motivation to listen to it. Common used to be one of my favorite artists, resurrection, lwfc and one day all got immense play from me. But he's burnt himself out in recent years to me. Is the new one worth it?

Any other ex cigarette smokers in here? I smoked for 16 years with a one year break a few years back and I recently quit again. But I still find myself having a cigarette every so often. Anybody else in the same boat?

Anything note worthy drop/drip in the last month?

Anybody know how blackace doing? Miss his mixes and posts. Met the dude in Japan a while back and he is a cool ass dude in real life.

I found out Riff raff is more enjoyable when you think of him as a lonely island type of artist. He makes parody rap. Which is fun in small doses. Listening to him like he's a legit rapper and means what he says is just fucking depressing.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
guess ill get that shit. aint anything else on the ps4 right now or next month
All the new PSN games coming out next month look dope as hell. I've already per-ordered them all.

Giving that new Shabazz record a listen now. Wasn't heavy into their first record so we'll see.

Courage

siddx, new Common album is ok. Production is kind of interesting (atypical from his previous recent albums) but he still fails to captivate me lyrically, even when talking about issues like gun violence.

siddx

New Common album is ok. Production is kind of interesting (atypical from his previous recent albums) but he still fails to captivate me lyrically, even when talking about issues like gun violence.

See that worries me, one of my big issues with common in recent years is he comes across as corny and preachy. I don't know when it happened burlt one day I just found myself wanting to punch him in the head when he raps.

RP912

Banned
Thank goodness I'm not the only dude on these boards that don't care for common that much.

Boots Riley>>>>>>Common

wenis

See that worries me, one of my big issues with common in recent years is he comes across as corny and preachy. I don't know when it happened burlt one day I just found myself wanting to punch him in the head when he raps.
His new record isn't going to change your mind.

Glad to have you back in the fold man.

thabiz

Been a while, had a busy summer.

I was wrong about oxymoron. Without cynical ass gafhop making me want to hate everything (I still love y'all though) I actually gave it a proper listen and the album is damn good. 8/10.

It's old but titty two chainz wuda cuda shuda is the shit.

Next to it is the fist Lupe song to ever get more than a casual listen from me. Best thing Lupe has ever done.

I have commons new album but haven't had any motivation to listen to it. Common used to be one of my favorite artists, resurrection, lwfc and one day all got immense play from me. But he's burnt himself out in recent years to me. Is the new one worth it?

Any other ex cigarette smokers in here? I smoked for 16 years with a one year break a few years back and I recently quit again. But I still find myself having a cigarette every so often. Anybody else in the same boat?

Anything note worthy drop/drip in the last month?

Anybody know how blackace doing? Miss his mixes and posts. Met the dude in Japan a while back and he is a cool ass dude in real life.

I found out Riff raff is more enjoyable when you think of him as a lonely island type of artist. He makes parody rap. Which is fun in small doses. Listening to him like he's a legit rapper and means what he says is just fucking depressing.

quit smoking after 23 years, 3 months ago. havent had a single drag since. went with the ecig and was off the smokes in a week. best decision of my life.

RP912

Banned
I used to smoke milds and some cigs but gave it up quickly since it wasn't my style....plus of health related issues.

Sometimes I wish I could go for a vanilla swisher sweet though :(

Courage

It's pretty much the same in this album. The Lil Herb and Staples features are much more interesting since I feel they're more attached and conscious of the issues Common's trying to rap about. I guess I'm always gonna view him as corny and way past his prime.

siddx

quit smoking after 23 years, 3 months ago. havent had a single drag since. went with the ecig and was off the smokes in a week. best decision of my life.

I did the ecig first time I quit and I ended up back on cigs a year later. This time I'm trying to be more realistic about it. I dont want to be a smoker anymore but like an ex girlfriend, sometimes you end up going home together for drunk angry ex sex aka a drunken late night smoke at the bar.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay, yeah, this Shabazz is some cosmic shit. Diverse but it all flows together so well. I'm gonna be listening to this a lot.

Ohnonono

All I have listened to is Freddie Gibbs for like a week straight. Need to cool that shit before I start to think I'm tough. Its all so good though.

Koozek

I've been listening to some old Common albums again after hearing Nobody's Smiling (might be one of Com's weakest works lyrics- and rap-wise BUT I like the beats - you can hear No I.D. having fun and experimenting with new production methods).
Like Water For Chocolate, Electric Circus and Be (so, so good - his best) are still my faves.
I don't know why, but some verses on Nobody's Smiling sound extremely corny, yeah. I mean, he's always been preachy, obviously, but it didn't bother me as much on the other three albums I mentioned before^^

RP912

Banned
Since we on the subject of Conscious rappers:

My top 5:

1. Boots Riley
2. Lupe Fiasco
3. Most Def
4. Talib Kweli
5. Ab Soul

I'm 99% sure it's alien music. Like 45 minutes of another galaxy's Illmatic just dropped onto Earth and made its way online/into stores.

man, i fucking hate illmatic

image.php

RP912

Banned
No lie BE was a good album because Ye made common's ramblings tolerable throughout the album with those golden beats.

Beats so good my mouth watering thinking about that album.

Courage

No lie BE was a good album because Ye made common's ramblings tolerable throughout the album with those golden beats.

Beats so good my mouth watering thinking about that album.

It was also the first album I listened from Common, so I didn't mind his style.

wenis

Maybe I'm just agist, but I can tolerate the young, idealistic dreamer much easier than the preachy, self-righteous old dude.
Hip.hop fans in generally are ageist (agesei?). That's why most rappers got a half life span up until their forties and if they aren't moving and shaking in the business world they're fucked. They might as well start putting together promos for Wake Up Now and get used to their JCPenny tailored suits and leather shoes from Costco.

siddx

Yeah I didn't mind the preaching back in the 90's but it just sounds obnoxious now. Preach rap is hard to do, but common used to pull it off. Not anymore. I've been having issues with rap in general recently, a lot of different things bugging the shit out of me. After 20+ years of listening to rap, I'm worried I'm starting to become less tolerant or the idiocy that often comes along with rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom