• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP912

Banned
These rappers nowadays got me listening to grime and electronica.

Last great era for hip hop imo was 2005-06. Top contender is 2012 since a lot of good shit came out around that time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I feel like if you keep an open mind and put some effort into it, every year as a good year, at least nowadays that we have so many different resources to discover and share music. Anytime I hear someone mutter (or post) something like "this year has sucked for music" I'm really just hearing "I'm close minded and/or only listen to what's being spoon fed to me".

RP912

Banned
I feel like if you keep an open mind and put some effort into it, every year as a good year, at least nowadays that we have so many different resources to discover and share music. Anytime I hear someone mutter (or post) something like "this year has sucked for music" I'm really just hearing "I'm close minded and/or only listen to what's being spoon fed to me".

Thats the thing though. There's different resources but a flood of music out there to even try to grasp. I often feel overwhelmed reading gaf hop sometimes and seeing random rappers out of no where and not enough time to check out the music.

It's like a gift and a curse of how open music is to the masses nowadays compared to a few years back when the underground was at it's peak. Seeing labels like Stonesthrow, Def Jux, Rhymesayers, etc just blowing up out of nowhere was amazing.

Nowadays it's seems like music is how it used to be in the 90s where it's all suggestions from peers and etc.

Esch

Banned
2014 is pretty good. Better than 2013 by a hair already and we still got interesting stuff in the pipeline.

It's no 2012 though, yet anyway.

The albums that pop in mind immediately are Yeezuz and Old. While those were good, I wouldn't call them fantastic. I can do that with a couple of albums this year already.

RP912

Banned
2014 is pretty good. Better than 2013 by a hair already and we still got interesting stuff in the pipeline.

It's no 2012 though, yet anyway.

Outside of TDE releases, I haven't really bump anything this year that's worth checking out. I'm mainly hyped for the L.O.R.D album and if yeezus bless us....his album.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just talking high profile rap albums, 2013 was pretty great for me personally. Stay Trippy, NWTS, Old and of course Trap Lord. The summer line-up was strong. I'll need to refresh myself on 2012, obv there was GKMC but can't remember everything.

RP912

Banned
Just talking high profile rap albums, 2013 was pretty great for me personally. Stay Trippy, NWTS, Old and of course Trap Lord. The summer line-up was strong. I'll need to refresh myself on 2012, obv there was GCMC but can't remember everything.

Life is good, R.A.P Music, H & C, Gravity (I'm a lecrae fan btw), G.O.O.D Music, Food and Liquor 2, and GMB.

HiResDes

Race Music came out in 2013 nothing has topped that yet for me this year. But So it Goes is close and I still need to listen to Shabazz

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah I haven't liked this year much. Some good shit has come out but not like prior years where I was constantly feasting on new shit. But it's becoming harder and harder to please me as I get older. I can't even pin down my own tastes anymore because I never know what ill enjoy and what ill fucking hate.

Esch

Banned
Lese Majesty gets full Esch scale marks thus far. Can't wait to write this one up, lots of emotions and abstraction in this one to crack open.

thread delivers

wavyqjbbi.gif

siddx

Charles Hamilton was never good. He was always a fucking mess who managed to fart out one or two good songs amid a diaherra explosion of stupid boring garbage.

That edge story is true. He lives in a big ass house at the foot of the dublin mountains. Fuck that guy.

I'm a 20 a day cigarette smoker. I'm planning on giving up at the end of the summer. Gonna go cold turkey though, I'll just get hooked on e cigs.

Drinking is gonna be the problem, I can smoke 2-3 packs on a heavy night of drinking.

Edit: That Halo 2 guy is now banned from NeoGAF

Dead at 65 posts per day...

RP912

Banned
Charles Hamilton was never good. He was always a fucking mess who managed to fart out one or two good songs amid a diaherra explosion of stupid boring garbage.

Dude had bars though and his beats were ahead of time.

How many producers can put out a beat that sounds like it's claustrophobic?

This Perfect Life still gets spins to this day.

HiResDes

I smoke a cigarette or two when I go to the bar so like twice or thrice a week. I don't feel like it's affecting my health too much but I also don't care to live much past 60.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2014 has absolutely not been better than 2013. The best shit put out this year rivals stuff outside of the Top 5 last year like NWTS.

I smoke a cigarette or two when I go to the bar so like twice or thrice a week. I don't feel like it's affecting my health too much but I also don't care to live much past 60.
I guess I finally understand what #sadboys is all about.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Same except when I drunk smoke it's more than a cig or two. There's not much to do past 60 but wait around to die anyways, fuck it.

siddx

Yeah that's where I'm at now. Used to smoke a pack a day, now only smoke one when im drunk as shit out and having a good time or when I'm super stressed out. I think I've had about 6 in the last month.

And if I make it to 60, I plan to go fucking buckwild. Just anything and everything I want to do. I'll be that 60 year old high on cocaine driving his scooter down the sidewalk slapping girls on the ass with his dick out screaming "who wants a little Jew inside em?!"

IrishNinja

Serious q: Does IrishNinja like Charles Hamilton?

i don't even think i heard the 2 songs siddx said were entertaining; i only recall seeing him get the rings slapped out of him by a chick he "joked" about with abortion, and then when rhymefest ethered him

so i guess i like him cause i enjoyed seeing both those things happen

big ander

I was the smoke a couple a week type but I started smoking more and more. quit at the start of the year for a month, then started again with 2 a day, then quit for a month, then started again with 3-4 a day, then quit a month ago. Should be alternating pack a day/cold turkey by the end of 2015
I wonder what did him in lol
Alt of a banned person, dunno who.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't even front, I'm at half his posting rate. It's really unhealthy. I post more than there are hours in the day.

Haven't done this in a minute

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - West Side the Best Side
• Favorite Artist - 2pac
• Best feature killer - Andre 3000
• Favourite producer - Dr. Dre, RZA, The Neptunes
• Favourite album - ATLiens, MBDTF, The Diary, GKMC, 2001, too many to name tbh
• What's in your playlist right now? - Nobody's Smiling, Oxymoron, IVRY

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: MBDTF > CD = LR > Yeezus > GRAD = 808'S
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface
• Jay Z or Nas? Depends how I feel honestly you could stack their top five albums evenly
• Biggie or Pac? Pac
• What’s your dream album/project? Kanye produced Kendrick album
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? Chance The Rapper / Metro Boomin
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? Underrated Big Boi / Overrated T.I.
• Have you been known to eat ass? Hell Nah ninja

PlayDat

• What’s your dream album/project? Kanye produced Kendrick album

This answer is really interesting to me since we have no idea what Kanye West the producer sounds like in 2014.

I'd like to see them work together too but you're right to put it the dream category since I doubt it'll ever happen. Despite touring together Kendrick's NYT interview suggested while there's mutual respect between them they didn't really become that close. Their creative processes are way different also and might not mesh well.

This answer is really interesting to me since we have no idea what Kanye West the producer sounds like in 2014.

I'd like to see them work together too but you're right to put it the dream category since I doubt it'll ever happen. Despite touring together Kendrick's NYT interview suggested while there's mutual respect between them they didn't really become that close. Their creative processes are way different also and might not mesh well.

Dream project for sure but Kanye I'm sure will go for more traditional sounds beats for Kendrick. Still soul-sample beats for a Kendrick album :phew:

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I think about this pretty often, and it might be an interesting clash. Kanye cares a lot for pushing sonics, and Kendrick really just needs to one up himself in his storytelling ability, but they are not passionate about the vice versa. Then again, Ye as an executive producer could work wonders too, it's just I don't think Kendrick needs that. Or maybe he does because it's like, where do you go from after GKMC? The album he's been building up to and planning for the entire rest of his life? Is his vision as clear for what follows afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom