• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

-Ackquille Pollard, aka “Bobby Shmurda”:

Conspiracy 2nd — 1 ct
Conspiracy 4th — 3 cts
Reckless Endangerment 2nd — 1ct
Criminal Possession of a Weapon 2nd — 2 cts
Criminally Using Drug Paraphernalia 2nd — 1 ct

RIP Shmurda 2014 - 2014

start carrying around terminator 1 scope guns in NY brehs.
j5JBVNM.png

RIP Shmurda
UgsGJon.png

maybe he can Shmoney dance those charges down.

I'm watching this Banks interview and she just started crying out of nowhere, as if she read my post about her losing my L of the year and caught feelings. I'll give it back to you girl, fix your makeup.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
brehs I just got Driveclub. Is there a GAF club?

Enzo do a summary of that Azealia Banks Hot 97 interview, she breaks out in tears while talking about Iggy and Azealia Banks album costed 2 mil to make
I was just watching it and this shit is unreal. Unreal.

- Starts the interview talking about slaughtering pigs and eating vag
- Her record cost 2 mill to make, they were paying her to go out everywhere and do shit, she was releasing stuff for free, not on a 360 deal so she gets all her touring money and.. She's mad at the label even though she spends all of their studio money on shit she puts out for free because "I'm doing my thing." FOH.
- They ask her if the Iggy beef started with the name thing and she completely curbs that and says it's because of culture appropriation
- Starts crying over white appropriation after ranting about Iggy, wonders why people are paying attention to the Bill Cosby when there's the Eric Garner shit is going on (didn't she defend Bill Cosby on Twitter recently?). She pulls herself together pretty quick, I wouldn't say it was contrived, but it looked contrived.
- Calls "TI a shoe-shining coon" and says why are you promoting your white girl when your wife is on VH1 is can't read
- Calls Iggy a "runaway slave master" and she did the motion in a video (she implies Iggy said "runaway slave master" in a song?
- Said she stood next to TI and Tiny backstage at a Ye show and he didn't do shit, "me and my sister would have jumped him
- Mocks TI using a slave sounding voice.
- Ebro challenges her to put that into her music, she says she can do what she wants in her music, then goes into some nonsense about people want to pay attention to negative things and that being the problem, but then she says then whatever go ahead if it's for the clicks
- Parents were jazz heads, has a history in theatre, talks about her getting interested in rap from cyphers
- What the fuck is "fleek", I swear all these Hot97 guys are saying this liberally. NYC-GAF, translation pls?
- Diplo gave her her big break, that's when people started paying attention
- Tries to school Hot97 about the difference between the Internet and "cyberspace" where you'll find BitTorrent and shit #knowledge #powerful
- Says media has an undercurrent of "fuck you" to Black art, "they're trying to erase us and our scriptures," tears up again over agriculture being stolen because it started in Africa, Rosenberg adds that there is a history of inventions being reattributed to white people
- Talks about she doesn't want to see slave movies anymore or anyone being whipped anymore because her skin is deeper than that, feels music is being snatched from her, tears up again
- She just sort of casually mentions her mom did coke and heroin

My 2c: I still think Kanye did the best job at addressing culture appropriation, and now that it's a conversation post-Yeezus and we're seeing more artists jump on the idea of ownership in hip-hop, but I still think anyone who is important is doing a pretty shit job of trying to apply the concept without it being embedded in some sort of additional fuckery, whether it be Ye's materialism, Banks' almost blatant racism and aversiveness to cultural mixing, Gambino's.. weirdness and general indifference to life, Swizz' endorsement of so many white brands, etc.

overcast

Banks needs to get off that bullshit about Iggy as if she personally is leading this white ambush of rap music. Get the fuck out of here clown.

There is appropriation, but Igloo isn't some anti Christ that will bring about what happened to Jazz.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Like, Fancy was big, and I think Iggy is a bigger thing than many of us want to admit and will probably open more doors in the future, but I also think shoehorning any sort of cultural mixing as being appropriation, and then going further and insinuating that it's conscious, is just fucking dumb.

On top of that, she really is taking it all out on Iggy, and she's much more selective when she goes at Em (she had a funny tweet recently clowning him for beefing with his mom though, I'll admit). In reality, I think she's just giving more power to Iggy/white people when you show that you can't try to have intellectual conversation without going out there and calling someone a coon. That shit needed a "coon" counter at the bottom.

I think she's pretty fucking racist, TBH, and the irony is real.

injurai

Banned
Is cultural appropriation a dirty thing now? As far as I'm concerned It's a neutral thing. But recently I've seen appropriation talked about as if it's intrinsically bad. As if others are barred from joining in culture, sharing it, or celebrating cultural differences.

codhand

brehs I just got Driveclub. Is there a GAF club?

- Her record cost 2 mill to make, they were paying her to go out everywhere and do shit, she was releasing stuff for free, not on a 360 deal so she gets all her touring money and.. She's mad at the label even though she spends all of their studio money on shit she puts out for free because "I'm doing my thing." FOH.
- They ask her if the Iggy beef started with the name thing and she completely curbs that and says it's because of culture appropriation
- Starts crying over white appropriation after ranting about Iggy, wonders why people are paying attention to the Bill Cosby when there's the Eric Garner shit is going on (didn't she defend Bill Cosby on Twitter recently?). She pulls herself together pretty quick, I wouldn't say it was contrived, but it looked contrived.
- Calls "TI a shoe-shining coon" and says why are you promoting your white girl when your wife is on VH1 is can't read
- Calls Iggy a "runaway slave master" and she did the motion in a video (she implies Iggy said "runaway slave master" in a song?
- Said she stood next to TI and Tiny backstage at a Ye show and he didn't do shit, "me and my sister would have jumped him
- Ebro challenges her to put that into her music, she says she can do what she wants in her music, then goes into some nonsense about people want to pay attention to negative things and that being the problem, but then she says then whatever go ahead if it's for the clicks
- Parents were jazz heads, has a history in theatre, talks about her getting interested in rap from cyphers
- What the fuck is "fleek", I swear all these Hot97 guys are saying this liberally. NYC-GAF, translation pls?
- Tries to school Hot97 about the difference between the Internet and "cyberspace" where you'll find BitTorrent and shit #knowledge #powerful
- Says media has an undercurrent of "fuck you" to Black art, "they're trying to erase us and our scriptures," tears up again over agriculture being stolen because it started in Africa, Rosenberg adds that there is a history of inventions being reattributed to white people
- Talks about she doesn't want to see slave movies anymore or anyone being whipped anymore because her skin is deeper than that, feels music is being snatched from her, tears up again

My 2c: I still think Kanye did the best job at addressing culture appropriation, and now that it's a conversation post-Yeezus and we're seeing more artists jump on the idea of ownership in hip-hop, but I still think anyone who is important is doing a pretty shit job of trying to apply the concept without it being embedded in some sort of additional fuckery, whether it be Ye's materialism, Banks' almost blatant racism and aversiveness to cultural mixing, Gambino's.. weirdness and general indifference to life, Swizz' endorsement of so many white brands, etc.

TeamAmericaVomit.gif

Is cultural appropriation a dirty thing now? As far as I'm concerned It's a neutral thing. But recently I've seen appropriation talked about as if it's intrinsically bad. As if others are barred from joining in culture, sharing it, or celebrating cultural differences.

When the people who invented something has it appropriated and then get no acknowledgment for it then that's not cool.

Banks needs to get off that bullshit about Iggy as if she personally is leading this white ambush of rap music. Get the fuck out of here clown.

There is appropriation, but Igloo isn't some anti Christ that will bring about what happened to Jazz.

Lol forreal. I think azelia's turning into female lord jamar. Also wtf at crying twice during a hot 97 interview, gonna listen to this later haha

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Finally got around to the new Hail Mary Mallon album, definitely top 10 material for me.

studyguy

I can't be out here sitting in sweat pants, eatin ice cream all day while watching Marley and Me.

tumblr_m26h4uWFHp1r7hwvko1_400.gif

Today sucks, dog is gone, but the year ain't over yet.
If nothing else, Ma$e cheered me up by sweeping the L of the year out of nowhere.
Thanks Ma$e, you really got that blow up big then disappear in the blink of an eye shit down.

injurai

Banned
When the people who invented something has it appropriated and then get no acknowledgment for it then that's not cool.

What you're talking about is different than cultural appropriation. People can take influence from others and should not need to offer acknowledgement. If it's not just influence but you are straight lifting or copying from someone. Now we are talking about issues with copyright and patent. Cultural appropriation implies whatever livelihood, aesthetic, custom, etc. which is being appropriated has already been adopted into population which goes beyond the people who set the precedence, invented or started something.

I get people take identity from these sorts of things, and not just their accomplishments and their own character. So there is that feeling of being diluted when others take up what you wanted to be unique to you. But I don't think this is a reason for appropriation to be bad. Especially if you weren't the inventor, because you yourself are just a propagator. Everyone takes identity in that way to some extent, it's important to not let it rule and control you.

Appropriation is often done to mix one's own influence with something. So right away there is that natural element of not directly stepping on someone else's identity. As long appropriation isn't being done as a way to prove that one can do something in a way that is superior, and the original is somehow intrinsically lesser. I really don't see the problem.

If you're talking about appropriating something then making claims that the original propagators of something can make no claim to it. Then that is indeed very bad, but I think the claim falls outside the bounds of the application itself.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
trying to listen to this premo-royce album, turned that shit off, put on the new Fashawn. first song
100HH2U.gif

thats Alc on the beats though. That's like getting a piece of tiramisu and being surprised it's delicious.

also i fucking love that gif, so fuck a sequential quote.

Furyous

*Eyeroll of a lifetime at this fuck shit*

Tip is not one for the fuckery and we shall find out why... AGAIN. Her whole Harlem schtick is wearing thin because she's entitled. Her fake crying, blatant antagonizing/posturing, and arrogant attitude turn me off from her music. Other young artists are too classy to show up to a radio station and lecture the hosts, especially the former PD Ebro, about performance metrics that gauge the impact of music. Hot 97 or any radio station doesn't have to play any of her records. Be thankful they have her up there in the first place and stop talking down to them. The end of this interview is uncomfortable. Desus was right about her.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Azelia Banks is the female version of ass cancer.

I don't know what that means but I know I mean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom