• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
how come yall hate azelia banks so much?

She knows deep down she's not remotely as talented as she pretends she is. So she just acts like a vile twat who wants to treat everyone around her like crap and spew her bullshit because it's the only way anyone would ever pay attention to her. If she tried to run on her music alone she would be a forgotten artist serving coffee at some hipster cafe by now to make ends meet.

I understand being upset at cultural appropriation. Few things make me mad more than people who only appreciate something when a white person does it. I've seen it happen with rap, specifically Eminem threads on this forum. But it's been happening to other genres for years. Especially jazz. Dave Brubeck was one of the first big artists to "civilize" jazz for white audiences, and he made a killing doing it. But Brubeck was a talented musician, wasn't racist, and went out of his way to avoid letting networks/tv segregate his band.

Iggy represents the worst of appropriation because not only is she talentless, she's not a hip hop artist. She's a failed model/pop act who tried hip hop as a last resort. She's not of the culture like Eminem or even Macklemore. She's a cynical label fraud. Luckily I truly believe she won't matter in a couple years.

Banks came off bitter and jealous. The crying sealed her fate. She couldn't articulate her point and just sounded wack. TI isn't a coon for pimping her, he's just hustling. And honestly Iggy isn't that much faker than Nicki...

injurai

Banned
I understand being upset at cultural appropriation. Few things make me mad more than people who only appreciate something when a white person does it. I've seen it happen with rap, specifically Eminem threads on this forum. But it's been happening to other genres for years. Especially jazz. Dave Brubeck was one of the first big artists to "civilize" jazz for white audiences, and he made a killing doing it. But Brubeck was a talented musician, wasn't racist, and went out of his way to avoid letting networks/tv segregate his band.

Iggy represents the worst of appropriation because not only is she talentless, she's not a hip hop artist. She's a failed model/pop act who tried hip hop as a last resort. She's not of the culture like Eminem or even Macklemore. She's a cynical label fraud. Luckily I truly believe she won't matter in a couple years.

Banks came off bitter and jealous. The crying sealed her fate. She couldn't articulate her point and just sounded wack. TI isn't a coon for pimping her, he's just hustling. And honestly Iggy isn't that much faker than Nicki...

Appropriation and appropriation while being a charlatan are two different things. Which I guess is the most succinct way to put my earlier point. But I understand what you're getting at.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The movie will come out at some point, doesn't change the fact it was a shitty fucking precedent to set. Get ready for more of this kind of shit to start popping up. People thinking they can get movies, shows, music, games and so on cancelled by making threats and demands just because they catch feelings over subject matter.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't buy appropriation as a concept in most cases. Is Eminem "appropriating" black culture? No. Are the legions of fans who think Em is the only good rapper guilty of whitewashing a primarily black art form? Absolutely. A case can be made for Iggy, but even then, it's pretty fucking racist to say she's putting on a "black" voice. What the fuck does "black" sound like? I get it though, because she or somebody in her camp at some point thought, "alright, try to sound like, 20 percent more ratchet" and that's what she came up with.

If Iggy/Em/Mackle/Yela was saying shit like "White people started rap and it's really a white art form," that would be appropriation. Rock music and "Elvis started it" is appropriation. Roughly 4 popular white people in rap in a sea of hundreds of successful contemporaries is not appropriation.

When we start segregating art forms we've all fucking lost. Same goes with fucking hijabs, or scarfs, or fucking food - all of which have been called cultural appropriation.

tl;dr: Fuck off, Iggy, fuck off Banks.

damn 36 if you don't want net wrecker to add you on live just say so bruh

8n3MJmY.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't buy appropriation as a concept in most cases. Is Eminem "appropriating" black culture? No. Are the legions of fans who think Em is the only good rapper guilty of whitewashing a primarily black art form? Absolutely. A case can be made for Iggy, but even then, it's pretty fucking racist to say she's putting on a "black" voice. What the fuck does "black" sound like? I get it though, because she or somebody in her camp at some point thought, "alright, try to sound like, 20 percent more ratchet" and that's what she came up with.

If Iggy/Em/Mackle/Yela was saying shit like "White people started rap and it's really a white art form," that would be appropriation. Rock music and "Elvis started it" is appropriation. Roughly 4 popular white people in rap in a sea of hundreds of successful contemporaries is not appropriation.

When we start segregating art forms we've all fucking lost. Same goes with fucking hijabs, or scarfs, or fucking food - all of which have been called cultural appropriation.

tl;dr: Fuck off, Iggy, fuck off Banks.
I don't get the voice complaints. I think that's just another instance of people throwing the kitchen sink in to try and make a point. I mean Nicki does silly voices all the time.. so is it an inherently black thing? Was it an inherently white thing when Em did it years ago? Or before that?

Your point about segregating art forms is so spot on. Trying to protect one's culture from dilution is a natural response to cross-cultural pollination but there needs to be some proper threat assessment. I don't get the feeling that anyone looks at Iggy and thinks she's the poster child for hip-hop or some sort of prototypical MC, not even the 13yo girls. As long as that is the case, then if you get about it you are invested for the wrong reasons. I think Banks genuinely cries herself to sleep every night thinking about this, and no amount of RTs from her cult fan base can change that.

She still gets L of the year for me, solely for showing unparalleled levels of assmad.

Tokubetsu

New Miguel EP for those gaf hoppers that get down with R&B:

1.) nwa ft. Kurupt
2.) hollywooddreams
3.) coffee

(click the image)

overcast

Dope. Thanks Toku.

Speaking of other cultures in rap, when are other races gonna break through in the mainstream? All I can think of off the top of my head in Hispanic/Asian cultures are Aston Matthews and Dumbfoundead. They are hardly mainstream.

Dope. Thanks Toku.

Speaking of other cultures in rap, when are other races gonna break through in the mainstream? All I can think of off the top of my head in Hispanic/Asian cultures are Aston Matthews and Dumbfoundead. They are hardly mainstream.

kap g released a top 10 soulja girl project this year. he's not really mainstream either though.

i don't think it will happen for a while. if it does though it won't be an asian guy. it will probably be a latino first. and they will have to cater to a female demographic with a big radio single.

this prophecy is sealed.

brehs I just got Driveclub. Is there a GAF club?

- They ask her if the Iggy beef started with the name thing and she completely curbs that and says it's because of culture appropriation
- Starts crying over white appropriation after ranting about Iggy, wonders why people are paying attention to the Bill Cosby when there's the Eric Garner shit is going on (didn't she defend Bill Cosby on Twitter recently?). She pulls herself together pretty quick, I wouldn't say it was contrived, but it looked contrived.
- Calls "TI a shoe-shining coon" and says why are you promoting your white girl when your wife is on VH1 is can't read
- Calls Iggy a "runaway slave master" and she did the motion in a video (she implies Iggy said "runaway slave master" in a song?
- Said she stood next to TI and Tiny backstage at a Ye show and he didn't do shit, "me and my sister would have jumped him
- Mocks TI using a slave sounding voice.

- Diplo gave her her big break, that's when people started paying attention

- Says media has an undercurrent of "fuck you" to Black art, "they're trying to erase us and our scriptures," tears up again over agriculture being stolen because it started in Africa, Rosenberg adds that there is a history of inventions being reattributed to white people
- Talks about she doesn't want to see slave movies anymore or anyone being whipped anymore because her skin is deeper than that, feels music is being snatched from her, tears up again
- She just sort of casually mentions her mom did coke and heroin

Appreciate the write-up Enzo, props. I also watched the interview. Toward the end of the interview when she started to speak about her mother, whom has a distain toward white people due to the era she was born, you can tell this is were she gets some of her attitude toward whites.

They should have mentioned how Diplo produced half of Iggy Azalea's 'Trap Gold' Mixtape to get her reaction. Hell, why not, that's what have the interview was about anyways.

Overall she sounded immature. When she stops getting overly emotional and matures-up she's be able to articulate whatever points she's trying to make, but right now she's too focused in Iggy as if she's the master mind of "white appropriation"

He signed Gaga so he's on that Dr. Dre lifestyle.
Akon on Lady Gaga:
"I got out while the gooding (sic) was hot. It's like a business, you build it to sell it," Akon told Sway on his radio show.
"When I got it to the peak of where I felt it couldn't go nowhere, and there was nowhere left to go but down, I cashed out, in other words I sold my share and got out before it was too late."

#ARTPOPed

Anyone have thoughts on Lady Gaga - 'Jewels & Drugs' feat. T.I. Too Short and Twista?
I like it. Twista's charisma, flow, and delivery was dope on the track.

PBY

Banned
Akon on Lady Gaga:
"I got out while the gooding (sic) was hot. It's like a business, you build it to sell it," Akon told Sway on his radio show.
"When I got it to the peak of where I felt it couldn't go nowhere, and there was nowhere left to go but down, I cashed out, in other words I sold my share and got out before it was too late."

#ARTPOPed

Anyone have thoughts on Lady Gaga - 'Jewels & Drugs' feat. T.I. Too Short and Twista?
I like it. Twista's charisma, flow, and delivery was dope on the track.
That song goes hard. I fuck w lady gaga

PBY

Banned
Dope. Thanks Toku.

Isn't kevin gates Puerto Rican?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't get the voice complaints. I think that's just another instance of people throwing the kitchen sink in to try and make a point.

Eh? That's a simple one, imo. She's not even from America. It's the equivalent of finding out all of those actors on The Walking Dead are from the UK. The only difference is, they drop the accent when speaking, whereas she keeps it up. She didn't start rapping with the voice until someone in her camp told her to. When in Rome, and shit like that.

There is a case to be made for Minaj doing it, but that also feeds into what Banks was saying about Iggy being a copycat and getting away with it.

Em didn't start off mimicking local vocal dialects and tones of the midwest and changing his voice to start sounding like a particular group of people. He was born there. The voice changes he did were silly as shit. Not comparable at all.

I hate the, "every time a white person does something, it's cultural appropriation" argument too, but Iggy is the last person to try and disprove someone whose views are as extreme as Banks' with, especially with her dicey history of saying silly shit on social media and that wild ass picture she put on IG the other day.

Appropriation and appropriation while being a charlatan are two different things. Which I guess is the most succinct way to put my earlier point. But I understand what you're getting at.
I'm seperating them because I don't believe hip hop "belongs" to black people. Iggy being a fraud makes her appropriation worse as it's a cynical attempt to hijack something. If she was just a female white rapper doing her thing after grinding for a few years I wouldn't have a problem.

Now she's doing an arena tour. Even Drake couldn't do that after two albums...Iggy hasn't gone gold. I'm going to bet she won't come close to selling out most of th shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom