• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is better than NWTS so far
I'm on the Travi$ Scott track

Will need to listen to multiple more times to see if it's as cohesive though. Really enjoying it though. Gotta give credit where credit is due. This is the Drake album I've wanted. Mix of 5AM in Toronto tracks and some Take Care with PND influence.

2014 had the most tapes I felt got legitimately slept on

Agreed, because a lack of major releases caused people to fall into the "oh nothing's coming out this year" trap.

That's why I knew you'd catch people slipping for shitting on 2014.
On the other hand, it has been a bit of a drought for the past couple of months are far as AAA releases go. So the Drake hype is understandable.

Chester Watson still sleeper hit of the year 2014

And of course, happy birthday man

Courage

Gave it a full listen and a half and it's solid. PND and Travis Scott features are wack AF but those tracks also have some of the best production. More Jungle tracks, less 6 Gods next time tho. Definitely a satisfying appetizer before VFT6.

Some of harder tracks are tight too tho. Know Yourself, No Tellin, 6 PM in New York.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Happy Birthday Des!

According to Reddit, that's the point of the album title. It's directed at CM/YM.
Did we ever have confirmation for how many releases were in his deal?

I don't think I've ever seen a number mentioned officially. Sounds fishy because wouldn't they have to go through the label (who would cockblock this move) first before release?

Happy Birthday Des!

I don't think I've ever seen a number mentioned officially. Sounds fishy because wouldn't they have to go through the label (who would cockblock this move) first before release?

Considering Drake has one of the best deals in the industry I wouldn't be surprised if he could do it

DominoKid

Happy Birthday Des!

nah it's always been said drake got the best deal of any new artist. creative control and he can pick when he releases.

Happy born day, Des

Cross posting on the Drake tape:

Ehh, it slumps pretty hard in the middle (the PND tracks) and never fully recovers aside from 6 Man, You & The 6, and 6PM In New York.

10 Bands is the clear standout IMO. Know Yourself, No Tellin, and 6 Man after that.

Happy Birthday Des!

Drake's deal gives him control of when his albums are released, apparently. Birdman controls when Wayne drops, whereas Drake just tells Universal when he's ready and they move. Allegedly.

Folks are saying Birdman had no idea this album was coming out tonight lol.

Detox

Drake's deal gives him control of when his albums are released, apparently. Birdman controls when Wayne drops, whereas Drake just tells Universal when he's ready and they move. Allegedly.

Folks are saying Birdman had no idea this album was coming out tonight lol.
That preemptive warning from J Prince to keep away from Drake.

Copy & Paste from the OT thread

Alright so after my first playthrough my impressions;

Overall, it sounds like your classic generic Drake tape/album. In a good and bad way. There's not that many tracks on here that rubbed me the wrong way, to say that out of 17 songs is a good thing. Apart from the crooning tracks and one of the worst noises I've heard on record since Kid Cudi's 'Ghost' which is the chorus of 'Preach' it aint all that bad.

Also, Drake has started to do this thing where he holds/yells his words and he's just doing it too much and the sounds of the tape overall start to blend together. Not to mention that almost half the tracks do that 'the studio is now underwater' theme for the outro.

Overall, not bad, his sound hasn't changed and as an artist there hasn't been a lot of growth from NWTS.

The Good:
Energy
Know Yourself
No Tellin'
Madonna
6PM in New York

The Aight:
Legend
10 Bands
6 God
Star 67
Now & Forever
You & The 6

The Ugly:
Preach
Wednesday Night Interlude
Company (Travis Scott is TRASH)
Jungle

9/17 on the Esch scale.

Hov and Kanye shots on 6PM In New York. Edit: ah he talking about Tyga, not Hov? smh
aXC9nsJ.png

last three tracks>>>rest of the album

First half is pretty boring, repetitive Drake. Same flow since he came in the game shit. Know Yourself is cool once the transition starts.

gonna marinate on this some more before giving a definitive opinion. But I gotta say dude is NOT impressive lyrically or flow wise. Even the hooks aren't that catchy here.

HiResDes

Umm I'm gonna let this marinate on this, but these are definitely mostly throwaways with Drake spitting on tracks with worn out beats, some awful features by artists he's trying to help blow up, and not nearly enough really radio ready tracks. Drake usually likes to compose his album mainly of radio ready tracks so he can have multiple singes/videos. I don't even think he's rapping on beat entirely in the last track (Jay-Z/Ye diss). No this is definitely not as good as NWTS, the polish is nowhere there.

Esch

Banned
Some good stuff, some bad stuff, mostly meh.

I get that he's trying to leave contract and all but these throwaways are meh as fuck. Dude's batting like a 45% eschpercentage on this tape.

oh well.

Esch

Banned
Yea if any of ya'll are drawing favorable comparisons with any of his projects you kinda crazy lol. Shit has a lot less of the polish and cohesion we should expect, and honestly even general song concepts and ideas aren't very strong.

A mixtape is a mixtape though.

Where does YMCM go from here lol. Drake gone (now or soon), Wayne isn't worth much these days/is disgruntled, Nicki will leave the minute she can. The label is about to explode Death Row style.

Young Thug is a flavor of the month, he'll never sell records. Really surprised Birdman is fucking with him so heavily. He has no relevance outside of clubs and a few white people. The mainstream ain't fucking with that troll face demon.

overcast

Album shows virtually no progress in any regard over the last. It's probably a bunch of throwaways but it feels like that, which is worse. There is really nothing interesting happening. It falls into a drowsy streak of songs that feel exactly the same in tone and execution. Nothing inherently wrong with cohesiveness, but jesus drizzy give this thing a shot there.

It's okay, didn't have lofty expectations considering it came out of nowhere. Next one should be better.

Where does YMCM go from here lol. Drake gone (now or soon), Wayne isn't worth much these days/is disgruntled, Nicki will leave the minute she can. The label is about to explode Death Row style.

Young Thug is a flavor of the month, he'll never sell records. Really surprised Birdman is fucking with him so heavily. He has no relevance outside of clubs and a few white people. The mainstream ain't fucking with that troll face demon.

iMG7uiXRSUby3.png

overcast

Aren't the mainstream fucking with Young Thug though? I mean, album sales don't come through the mainstream aside from a few exceptions. All about a fanbase now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - If You're Reading This Its Too Late

Don't know the fuck y'all are talking about; I don't think it's really comparable to any of his other projects at all, it shares more in common with loosies released/leaked throughout 2014, low bass, less atmospheric, less polished, super punchy drums and some relaxed/nonchalant delivery. It's a damn mixtape for sale. Which is cool, I don't see a reason for this to be free considering his status and you'd have to be crazy to think this is his next big solo since he's been talking about Views From The Six for half a year now, or critique it for lacking progress or something. People ate those shitty 6 God loosies up last year and this is more of that shit.

Starts out street, mobbing-in-a-hoodie feel; Drake is talking that talk in the first 1/3 of the album, with good metaphors and all that, definitely the more technically impressive Drake in terms of his writing and bouncing between flows. I think some people might be bored of the flows themselves, but the production is too good. Clearly the strongest part of the tape, ending with No Tellin'.

PARTYNEXTDOOR still garbage, but he's not as bad as usual. I think the reckless use of autotune will keep me away from those songs in general in the long run though. PND almost sounds like he might be able to sing underneath that but goes out of his way to make it annoying. Drake should just cut his losses with dude, seriously. Then there's Used To (song is straight, sounds super mixtape-y but it's not offensive and Wayne's verse is straight), but the songs are just a bit more vanilla from there on out and the project kind of fails to perk your ears again.

Standouts include Energy, 10 Bands, Know Yourself, 6 Man, Company. I feel like the majority of the songs on this album are either a yay or meh depending on the time of day, really. 6PM In New York doesn't really do it for me either, he's not really flowing well or saying much, doesn't really live up to it's predecessors. Gets better as it goes on though. A significant chunk of it is made up of outright bad songs, however: Madonna, first half of Star67, Wednesday Night Interlude, Now & Forever, You & The 6 (I don't care if this is heartfelt or whatever, it's terrible storytelling and annoying), and Jungle.

Not tryna be harsh about it because it's not his next big studio, and as we've been discussing, there are probably ulterior motives behind this release. Overall, a straight release that raw-quality-wise doesn't compare to anything post-SFG in his catalog, but it seems like it's only out to keep people fed. It really does feel like a tape thrown out to give people something to snack on before the album, and I don't have a problem assessing it as such. Probably could have been #minimalized to a more sturdier 10-12 roster, but it still wouldn't be as good so who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom