• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

I swear around this time last year Eric Dingus was just a lonely kid throwing up remixes and his own tracks on his SoundCloud. It's mind blowing that he's pretty much in the OVO pool of producers now. If he has a production credit on Views from the 6…holy fuck. The bridge between up and coming SoundCloud producers and mainstream artists is shortening. I'm half expecting Bones to be on some Drake remix that Dingus does pretty soon. The degrees of separation between the two are not far off at all.

HiResDes

He's been signed for two years now actually. Drake's been on the soundcloud wave for a long time now. If he'll sign his own imitator Jimmy Johnson he'll sign anybody. Jimmy auditions the Dingus tracks for him as a sort of reference I believe.

Mau ®

The production on Drake's mixtape is fantastic. His most cohesive production work yet.

But NGL some of the songs are kinda weak and it's definitely bloated. Good thing it's not the main album, otherwise I'd rank it as his worst.

My faves on the first listen is "You and the 6" and "Preach"

Yado

Mau ®;151914923 said:
His most cohesive work yet.

But NGL some of the songs are kinda weak and it's definitely bloated.

iC6LnGTQErj0t.gif

HiResDes

Mau ®;151914923 said:
The production on Drake's mixtape is fantastic. His most cohesive work yet.

But NGL some of the songs are kinda weak and it's definitely bloated. Good thing it's not the main album, otherwise I'd rank it as his worst.

My faves on the first listen is "You and the 6" and "Preach"

Cohesive doesn't mean homogenous, the production is pretty homogenous.

Esch

Banned
BTW happy birthday to HiResDes, one of the GOAT posters and one of the few OG's left alive. Gotta thank him for always holding us down on the bandcamp stuff, having an open minded musical worldview, and for sticking to his guns; both his worldview and his 'musical ideals'.

what a man

what a birthday

what a poster

I swear around this time last year Eric Dingus was just a lonely kid throwing up remixes and his own tracks on his SoundCloud. It's mind blowing that he's pretty much in the OVO pool of producers now. If he has a production credit on Views from the 6…holy fuck. The bridge between up and coming SoundCloud producers and mainstream artists is shortening. I'm half expecting Bones to be on some Drake remix that Dingus does pretty soon. The degrees of separation between the two are not far off at all.

Reminds me of something I wanted to mention. It's dope seeing rappers treat production like an arms race. The days of relying on dated soul sample beats of middling quality are over. There's so much dope shit out there, and so readily available, that rappers really have no excuse not to have good production.

And this also allows artists to build production teams. Take a 20 year old kid from the suburbs or projects, give him access to a real studio and instruments, and let him cook for you; let him develop as an artist and transition from a beat maker to a producer. I won't say Hov created that blueprint but when I think of great production teams I tend to think of his first. Baseline Studios, Just Blaze, Kanye, The Heatmakerz, etc. It's an arms race. Who is going to get the best sound, the best beats, the best song writers, etc.

This is something a lot of trapped in the 90s dudes don't understand. Including Nas. There's so much dope shit out there, from soundcloud to more established new producers...there's no excuse for wack shit breh. I think about all the RZA imitators in France right now, and Ghost/Rae will never hear their beats because they'd rather call up Akbar from 125th who has a homie who makes soul loops for $100. Fuckouttahere...

Wonder if/when we'll see confirmation that this tape/album frees Drake from YM/CM

edit: what is up with Drake's obsession with popcaan though? I'm hearing more of that illiterate mofo now than when I lived in Jamaica.

edit2: Drake tape is up on Spotify

Detox

Wonder if/when we'll see confirmation that this tape/album frees Drake from YM/CM

edit: what is up with Drake's obsession with popcaan though? I'm hearing more of that illiterate mofo now than when I lived in Jamaica.

edit2: Drake tape is up on Spotify
I think urban culture in Canada is heavily influenced by Jamaican / West Indian culture similar to the UK.

Nibel

Happy birthday Des; I do not know you for that long but you always bring some fantastic insight and I love reading your posts. Also, considering him having released today, you got that Aubrey cosign which must mean something right

big ander

such samey production on this drake, even for a project of gathered one-offs designed to get him out of a contract.

10 Bands->know yourself->No Tellin, 6 Man->now & forever good combos. Especially that first run. company's maybe the most interesting instrumental on here and has garbage from la flame over it. you & the 6 is still pretty good, star67 is alight too. rest is bad to forgettable

hbd hrd

Detox

The Don performing with Drake tonight. Is the ramp up for the next classic starting?

Drake about to sign with Mass Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom