• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tiller is probably trash live, but I bet the crowd is sexy.
I've seen some clips from Tiller's Summer Jam performance it was looking terrible. Dude's speaking voice is very different from his singing one, and he was mostly just talking the words to his songs out.

overcast

Holy shit this sounds great. Really have high expectations for this.
Wonder how Q is gonna do then
I was wondering the same earlier. Should be a decent drop off from Oxy. It'll be less commercial (it seems like), a less hyped release (Oxy was built towards for a few years) and sales of actual albums are wayyy down + dropping quicker.

Basically I would get ready for a Top Dawg meltdown on Twitter. Should tour well though.

In regards to concerts, I for some reason want to see Meek Mill in concert, of all of the rappers I would potentially see in concert. Anybody ever seen him in concert?

ARK322

Neo Member
Anybody here go to Hip Hop concerts regularly? I've noticed that the Metal thread has tons of folks going to concerts, but it never occurred to me if rap fans really go to concerts regularly as a head.

I mostly go to metal shows. The few rap concerts I have been to are a weird assortment: I went to a Watch the Throne show, saw Run The Jewels, GoldLink, G-Eazy (actually really damn fun live even if his records aren't very good), and caught Kendrick on his most recent tour.

Lil Boat is good as background music (which I maintain, is not a compliment really, especially because..) but as soon as you start paying attention to it, it's grating and wow how fast can I stop listening to this.

Dude has all the randomness of a Lil B with none of the charm or charisma. All of the crooning and style-jacking of every other autotuned ATL artist but none of the identity or style or songwriting ability.
Hate does not look good on you enzo

HiiiLife

I hope the best for him considering H&C is one of my fav albums this decade...but I can't help but feel we got a "LA we got a work to do" tweet coming soon regarding sales lol

And let's see if he actually has a better album than YG this go around...Still Brazy was such a fun listen...

http://pitchfork.com/news/66102-wat...a-ign-create-kidz-bop-versions-of-their-hits/

I mostly go to metal shows. The few rap concerts I have been to are a weird assortment: I went to a Watch the Throne show, saw Run The Jewels, GoldLink, G-Eazy (actually really damn fun live even if his records aren't very good), and caught Kendrick on his most recent tour.

Concerts are usually hit or miss for me, but I did love BTBAM live; that fucking blew my mind. Oddly enough, I feel that Jazz and Classical concerts are my favorite of them all. Definitely a little stuffy at times, though. I'm usually on my damn feet when I listen to Classical Music at home.

Is YG's Drake song even on the radio? That song is terrible, easily the worst track on the album.

Surprised he got a release date without a decent radio single.

HiResDes

I actually like both Groovy Tony and That Part, even went back to Oxymoron and realized I really don't dislike as much as I thought. Would probably give it a strong 7 now, Prescription Drugs is probably a top three Q track for me.

I actually like both Groovy Tony and That Part, even went back to Oxymoron and realized I really don't dislike as much as I thought. Would probably give it a strong 7 now, Prescription Drugs is probably a top three Q track for me.

I revisited Oxymoron a while back but it just does nothing for me aside from Hoover Street, Prescription/Oxymoron, Break The Bank, and Man of The Year (and Yay Yay, if that counts). Most of the album is just so blehhh. I thought I overreacted initially, but nah that album's a disappointment.

Groovy Tony is great though, and that snippet sounds like prime Q indeed. We'll see.

I hope the best for him considering H&C is one of my fav albums this decade...but I can't help but feel we got a "LA we got a work to do" tweet coming soon regarding sales lol

And let's see if he actually has a better album than YG this go around...Still Brazy was such a fun listen...

Lmao I wouldn't doubt it at this point he already complained about the Groovy tony sales.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Agreed and expecting the new album to be very good based off the singles so far.

Anybody here go to Hip Hop concerts regularly? I've noticed that the Metal thread has tons of folks going to concerts, but it never occurred to me if rap fans really go to concerts regularly as a head.

Last year i went to Wu-Tang (well kind of...Method Man and RZA and a few more weren' there, lol) and this wednesday it's time for Cypress Hill in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Should be awesome. Years ago i went to their show in my hometown and it was fantastic.

Of course his lawyers would phrase a statement like that, so I won't read to much into it. I just hope this is cautiously investigated and fairly judged, in the end, whoever did wrong shold be accordingly punished.

Agreed. I think anyone here finds it weird as hell that these allegations would appear a year after, but who knows.

Wasn't it said there was camera footage though?

"My mom wasn't letting me listen to rap when I was 7, she loves me."

To be fair, I actually think this is the best thing to do. Looking back at the stuff I listen to now, and the material at hand, I wouldn't let my children listen to Parental Advisory rap albums even if they're 13 years old.

Dereck

Rate from best to worst

uWV3cDW.jpg
izxj1F5.jpg
tox35kA.jpg
sc5QNiz.png
eLpn6e3.jpg

IrishNinja

i really need to revisit deltron while blazed...prolly octagon too, i dug it but not like other heads did

can't fuck with quasimoto's voice, shit fucks up tracks like i'm hearing nerdcore alla sudden and just makes me wanna skip

vaughn & cold vein are nice

Nabs

The Unseen and Vaudeville Villain are my classics from that era. Low Class Conspiracy is that jam.

I can't really rank the albums though, I didn't get into the other ones even when they were hyped like crazy.

God damn dude....now this is one fucking great list of albums to pick.

1. The Cold Vein (9/10)-Genius album. Brilliant lyrics. Evocative and amazing soundscapes. Masterpiece.
2. Dr. Octagonecologyst (9/10)-Still one of the most unique albums in rap. Production is fantastic and Kool Keith is at his apex in terms of nonsensical rhyming and unique imagery.
3. Deltron 3030 (9/10)-Funnily enough, I used to not like this album very much, but it grew on me. Few albums in rap are as fun to listen to, even though the concept itself (like most concept albums) is stretched a bit thin.
4. Viktor Vaughn (?)-I like this one, but I don't have a decisive rating on it.
5. The Unseen (5/10)-Probably the only album on this list I never really got into. It's definitely unique and I recommend it to anyone, you will probably get more out of it than I.

IrishNinja

yeah that one's not bad, but if it would've been madvillain or even mmm...food id've ranked it higher
surprised company flow isn't on here too

yeah that one's not bad, but if it would've been madvillain or even mmm...food id've ranked it higher
surprised company flow isn't on here too

I really respect EL-P but Company Flow's debut.....never could get through it. Too lo-fi for me, and lo-fi rap usually lacks the necessary production for me to enjoy the album.

Dereck

The only, and I mean the only issue I have with Dr. Octagonecologyst is with Keith. Keith is one of the primary reasons why the album is so interesting, however.

He's championed this extremely sporadic flow. He doesn't rap that way on the entire album. Songs like Halfshark, Blue Flowers and Wild & Crazy demonstrate what he can sound like when his flow is more rock solid.

Songs like No Awareness and Technical Difficulties though, on some occasions I love those songs and on some occasions they're a little overwhelming just because it sounds like Keith is just saying whatever in whatever pattern he wants to. No Awareness is scatterbrained as fuck and I don't know what the fuck he's talking about. That's not a problem at all, I really like the parts that just sound kooky and unexpected, lines like "ever since Presidents......Lyndon...B, Jerry, John, George and Carter like Optimus Diesel reflects auto starter". Deltron does the same thing yeah, but his flow is more conventional.

The extraterrestrial lunatic personality is what makes No Awareness and most of the album work. So that gives the album an undoubted unique edge.

1. Cold Vein
2. Dr. Octagon
3. The Unseen
4. Victor Vaughn
5. Deltron
Hrrrrmmmmmm

Fjordson

Shades of Alejandro

Dope cinematic, crime rap. Think biz has posted his previous stuff in here, this one is damn good.

Rate from best to worst
Oh damn, this is the hardest one yet. Deltron was one of the first underground albums I ever heard so I'm a bit biased & Del is one of my favourite MC's ever but...

1. Deltron 3030
2. Dr. Octagon
3. Cold Vein
4. Viktor Vaughn
5. The Unseen

Love all of them, though. Especially the top two. Automator's production was so good back then and I love the story concepts of Deltron and Dr. Octagon.

Fjordson

Still is. Deltron Event 2 underwhelming is 100% on Del. Automator brought heat.
True true. Damn that shit was disappointing. Though not entirely surprising, I always get nervous when shit takes forever to come together like that.

It's like that Doom and Ghost album. Have a feeling it'll be disappointing if it ever makes it out.

I don't even want to hear DoomStarks anymore. Ghost lost more than a few steps, and who even knows what Doom can do these days. The perfect time for that album would've been like a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom