• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Dollarz

They should sign Kembe X

Hell yes. Been listening to his album, love his aggressiveness.

Bealbum.jpg

edit: Brehs, am I wrong in saying that Be by Common has to be in the top five albums of the 21st century? This that type of shit that's so beautiful it brings a passionate thug tear to your eye. It is the perfect conglomerate of the different up and coming sounds of that era like Kanye, Dilla, and John Legend. Album is love.

Be is very good, but I think Common sort of stumbles in regards to his flow (I feel he often forces verses on it, as it sounds like spoken word that actual rapping). Production is perfect, though.

Koozek

Bealbum.jpg

edit: Brehs, am I wrong in saying that Be by Common has to be in the top five albums of the 21st century? This that type of shit that's so beautiful it brings a passionate thug tear to your eye. It is the perfect conglomerate of the different up and coming sounds of that era like Kanye, Dilla, and John Legend. Album is love.

It is for me, too. Pure bliss.

Be is very good, but I think Common sort of stumbles in regards to his flow (I feel he often forces verses on it, as it sounds like spoken word that actual rapping). Production is perfect, though.

But I'd still agree that Common sometimes has a corny flow.

RDreamer

Hitta93

Banned

Bealbum.jpg

Very wrong.

Hitta93

Banned
Best Common album, but I feel the 2nd half(specifically after Love Is...) just pales to the opening tracks.

Also not my preferred sound in hip hop.

IrishNinja

i don't know if Be is a top 5 for the last 16 years, but it's a fantastic album and one of com's finest. i don't know what my expectations were post Electric Circus, but even with yeezy lacing it, there's a ton of other artists i wish could've had a comeback album nearly as good

How you know Nas is this fall?

streets is talkin bout how the album done

Best Common album, but I feel the 2nd half(specifically after Love Is...) just pales to the opening tracks.

Also not my preferred sound in hip hop.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I think it's great, but not one of my all time personal favorites.

I never bothered with Electric Circus, but why is it disregarded?

IrishNinja

I never bothered with Electric Circus, but why is it disregarded?

it's been forever, but i recall my time with it being short & some weird attempt at hendrix/etc kinda feel...good features but it's pretty out there, especially as a follow up to something as good as like water for chocolate

mind you, it at least stumbles trying to do something interesting, and is still more listenable then say, something cudi & 3 stacks would try in the same vein today, but hip hop has almost always been a pretty limited lane, and if heads weren't trying to hear l-boogie on some acoustic shit, this was really gonna be off putting

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I dunno what my top 5 of the 21st Century would be, but I will accept Be as a contender.

Rock solid album in so many respects. Few albums give me such a strong vibe front to back while still delivering variety. Just a really feel-good, really good-good album.

Nabs

I like Electric Circus more than BE or FE. That's the last time Common really spit with some aggression. Didn't care for the last two tracks combining for 20 minutes or whatever.

Hitta93

Banned
I dunno what my top 5 of the 21st Century would be, but I will accept Be as a contender.

Rock solid album in so many respects. Few albums give me such a strong vibe front to back while still delivering variety. Just a really feel-good, really good-good album.

I don't know about "variety" but won't argue against everything else.

Hitta93

Banned
This discussion also makes me realize I like Common's music more than I admit.

One of the few conscious rappers I can tolerate.

I like Be, but I never got why The Food was the edited live version on the album.

I don't know, I thought the live version made it sound like a retro TV show. More energy in the music, which is why I prefer the live version. Kind of like i for TPAB (the single version for i....ugh major shitty).

That's true, though it being edited always bugged me. Still a great track, though.

I think They Say is my favourite song on there. Amazing beat.

I love the first track on the album, the way it just starts with an up right bass, and then starts bringing in layers of instrumentation, finally culminating with strings alongside everything else. The second track is also terrific production wise too, and Common's lyrics are terrific.

On another note, I'm listening to Parliament's Mothership Connection, and holy shit, it's the chorus on Dre's Let Me Ride.

Fjordson

I love the first track on the album, the way it just starts with an up right bass, and then starts bringing in layers of instrumentation, finally culminating with strings alongside everything else. The second track is also terrific production wise too, and Common's lyrics are terrific.
Yeah, the intro is dope. That beat is also insane. Kanye (and Dilla) really balled out on that album.

I think you should not put so many of the same gifs Cheddahz, due to the fact that some people may be using mobile and displaying all of those Gifs will drain someone's memory. Also, it makes reading this thread more difficult for everyone.

overcast

Sounds dope. This album is gonna be crazy. Gonna sound like Detroit in the best way.
FREE LUNCH VIDEO

MyhtqqX.png

ISAIAH RASHAD CONFIRMED DROPPING ON 9/02/2016
Fuck yeah. Can't wait. Happy Isaiah is next instead of Soul's whack ass. If Zay delivers this would be TDE's best year since 2012. Maybe soul will too... lol.

Already got:
Untitled Unmastered
Blank Face (AOTY)

Koozek

I think you should not put so many of the same gifs Cheddahz, due to the fact that some people may be using mobile and displaying all of those Gifs will drain someone's memory. Also, it makes reading this thread more difficult for everyone.

That's why every sane person disables GIF on GAF on mobile (check the options).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom