• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitta93

Banned
Billy's got that DOOM spark.

Elucid goes more into the Def Jux territory for sure.

Breh, when I first turned on Armand Hammer and I heard this line:

So goth I was born black
Son trapped within a crux that endorsed crack
Dirt nap before 21 be the forecast

9NdkeBh.png

I was like whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo this nikka here

That's a fucking great lyric, nice.
Flow was straight ass.

The Kembe X only gets better wasn't crazy about his flow at first but now I'm feeling it. Sounds like a hungry every man with more edge than artists like Cole showed on their early tapes. He'd definitely fit in well on TDE catapulting instantly over the likes of ab soul and Jay

I was just listening to this again last night and almost made a post about it. Might be top 5 of the year for me (and climbing). Top to bottom quality. I'm surprised you weren't feeling his flow at first, I like how he goes back and forth between a tight low key style and commanding Ludacris bravado. Production is dope all the way through too.

Koozek

I was just listening to this again last night and almost made a post about it. Might be top 5 of the year for me (and climbing). Top to bottom quality. I'm surprised you weren't feeling his flow at first, I like how he goes back and forth between a tight low key style and commanding Ludacris bravado. Production is dope all the way through too.
If you like flow changes like that, you should enjoy Azizi Gibson, too, then, in case you don't know already.

riotous

Banned
Peeps sayin this suicideboys sound like bone over Memphis beats was dead on. This shit is nice.

More like Three Six mafia than bone; a lot of their beats either use actual snippets or instruments from old 3-6 beats.. they also take rhyme patterns from 3-6 songs, and sample 3-6 choruses. Basically took the late 90's 3-6 sound and ran with it for 200+ songs.

Bone is far more melodic with how they rap. Even the members of the group that don't sing still change notes while rapping; the rappers from 3-6 stayed more monotone or dual-tone.

Yup. When I first heard Doom back around 03, I loved the beats but didn't really catch the rhymes and thought his flow was out there.

Then I really sat down with Operation Doomsday and it all fell in place.

I still gotta give that album a serious listen. I wasn't really feeling Doom's debut, preferring his later stuff.

Given how much I also love the late 80s era, there is the Zed Love X stuff to check out. Gas Face....great song. The Cactus Album is a blast.

HiiiLife

More like Three Six mafia than bone; a lot of their beats either use actual snippets or instruments from old 3-6 beats.. they also take rhyme patterns from 3-6 songs, and sample 3-6 choruses. Basically took the late 90's 3-6 sound and ran with it for 200+ songs.

Bone is far more melodic with how they rap. Even the members of the group that don't sing still change notes while rapping; the rappers from 3-6 stayed more monotone or dual-tone.

Going thru a couple of their tracks and Its a nice sound. Don't know if I got the patience for 200+ tracks tho lol.

riotous

Banned
Going thru a couple of their tracks and Its a nice sound. Don't know if I got the patience for 200+ tracks tho lol.

lol, copped their discography 2 weeks back when Des posted their new EP and have had it on random enough times since that I've probably heard most of it.

I work with headphones on and it's good music to sort of zone out to.

HiiiLife

lol, copped their discography 2 weeks back when Des posted their new EP and have had it on random enough times since that I've probably heard most of it.

I work with headphones on and it's good music to sort of zone out to.

Cold Turkey and south side suicide are fucking tight. I'll be sure check the rest of the eps out after work.

Koozek

from the comments

dead

dead.png
dead.png
dead.png

Speaking of Future, listened to Monster in full last night. Whew! That was fucking GOOD.

I know I might get shit for this, but for modern rappers, Future may have my favorite flow overall.

Jesus I love these gifs.

Dude. Been listening to pretty much nothing else besides Future when I'm on-the-go. Only recently listened to Monster for the first time. Started with WATTBA, then went back to DS2, then Purple Reign and EVOL. It's funny how I went from not even understanding Future last summer when DS2 dropped (not talking about understanding what he says, but "getting it") to absolutely loving it months later. I get in a zone now when I'm listening to him, especially when it's late at night and I'm sitting on the train home. Whew.

Dude. Been listening to pretty much nothing else besides Future when I'm on-the-go. Only recently listened to Monster for the first time. Started with WATTBA, then went back to DS2, then Purple Reign and EVOL. It's funny how I went from not even understanding Future last summer when DS2 dropped (not talking about understanding what he says, but "getting it") to absolutely loving it months later. I get in a zone now when I'm listening to him, especially when it's late at night and I'm sitting on the train home. Whew.

Yeah, he's terrific, and I'm glad I've never crossed back when it comes to actually buckling down and getting away from merely A Tribe Called Quest and....that's about it.

people now discovering the greatness that is Monster
i guess it's never too late

Yeah, I definitely chalk it up to being pretty close minded with Hip-Hop. For the longest time I was insanely limited with my love of Rap, pretty much swearing by ATCQ and listening to very little else (like Digable Planets, a few Outkast albums, some establised East Coast classics, and that's about it). I think I've listened to at least 200 Hip Hop albums and it's not even been a year. I think Kendrick was the guy who helped me get into Hip-Hop the way I am now.

Unlike Metal in which I've always listened to religiously since 2003, Hip-Hop always went in spades for me, but only until recently did I call myself a burgeoning Hip-Hop head. I'm loving the fuck out of the journey so far, and I love watching my tastes in the genre as a whole expand every day.

Koozek

Yeah, he's terrific, and I'm glad I've never crossed back when it comes to actually buckling down and getting away from merely A Tribe Called Quest and....that's about it.

Yeah, I definitely chalk it up to being pretty close minded with Hip-Hop. For the longest time I was insanely limited with my love of Rap, pretty much swearing by ATCQ and listening to very little else (like Digable Planets, a few Outkast albums, some establised East Coast classics, and that's about it). I think I've listened to at least 200 Hip Hop albums and it's not even been a year. I think Kendrick was the guy who helped me get into Hip-Hop the way I am now.

Unlike Metal in which I've always listened to religiously since 2003, Hip-Hop always went in spades for me, but only until recently did I call myself a burgeoning Hip-Hop head. I'm loving the fuck out of the journey so far, and I love watching my tastes in the genre as a whole expand every day.
Bless up
beSFiXF.png
beSFiXF.png
beSFiXF.png

Ain't trying to fuel the fanboy war but Section.80 and GKMC are two of my favorite hip hop albums in a very very long time.

Very curious where Kdots music will go after TPAB.

Section.80 I thought was a tad weaker than the two, but still insanely good. Definitely give it a high 8/low 9. Both TPAB and GKMC are 10/10 in my book.

The hype will be astronomical when Kendrick announces his next full length LP. It's interesting to see just how he will respond with his new material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom