• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
Real Friends is better.

Also what is happening in that thead, It's like it's people's first time hearing No More Parties in LA. But isn't that song months old?

I swear we all grooved to it, then tore it to shit, and lamented no Ye in 2015 like months ago.

Real Friends is better.

Also what is happening in that thead, It's like it's people's first time hearing No More Parties in LA. But isn't that song months old?

I swear we all grooved to it, then tore it to shit, and lamented no Ye in 2015 like months ago.
We are in the Afterlife man, not everything survives that transition.

Dereck

RetcH - Lean & Neck

artworks-000143638407-u6jnxq-t500x500.jpg

FZZ

Banned
Just woke up, listening to No More Parties In LA

Not really feeling Kendrick's verse, Kanye's is a lot better. It is a good throwaway track if that's what it is.

Things are looking better for SWISH.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real Friends remains the better track by a good margin. Shame about Kendrick's verse, but I didn't have high expectations going into it.

MBDTF sessions still blessing us into 2016

kVx2Hdk.gif

injurai

Banned
Just woke up, listening to No More Parties In LA

Not really feeling Kendrick's verse, Kanye's is a lot better. It is a good throwaway track if that's what it is.

Things are looking better for SWISH.

Preferred Ye's verse as well, but then again it's his song. I guess we got used to Kdot being a feature killer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real Friends is better.

dat Interstellar time dilation

overcast

That's not that lyrical miracle Kendrick at all. And Kanye doesn't sound old on it.

But I'm not crazy for Kendricks verse.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Meek Mill - The Trillest video. One of the best songs on DWMTM.

Purple Reign is severely lacking in catchy/memorable anything on first listen. Some interesting production (All Right, Wicked Run Up, Bye Bye), a lot of it not particularly notable. Inside The Matress and Bye Bye are the closest things to standouts, with Perkys Calling as a distant 3rd. Not bad, just kind of, meh?

Meek's 4/4 EP is really more like 1/4 because Pray For Em is FIRE and everything else is aight or lukewarm.

Nyck Caution's 22 is decent, that song with Joey Bada$$ is great.

mooooose

That's not that lyrical miracle Kendrick at all. And Kanye doesn't sound old on it.

But I'm not crazy for Kendricks verse.

"Erykah Badu Me"

"Some days I'm in my Yeezys, some days I'm in my Vans
If I knew y'all made plans I wouldn't have popped the Xans"

lmao ok

Eos

Finally went through Purple Reign multiple times and it's a solid tape. Not that many standout tracks (and production) compared to the other three tapes and Future sounds a bit lacklustre throughout the mixtape. Favourite tracks: Wicked, Drippin, Inside The Mattress, Salute, and Purple Reign.

It's definitely not better than 56 Nights and Beast Mode but not sure if I'd rank it higher than Monster.

overcast

"Erykah Badu Me"

"Some days I'm in my Yeezys, some days I'm in my Vans
If I knew y'all made plans I wouldn't have popped the Xans"

lmao ok
I don't know what that means. Throwing a few lines does nothing. The first one is a pun, not exactly Kendrick spazzing out.

So Deltron 3030.....

I don't know, I've never really been able to get into this album until now, but I'm not sure if I find it to be as good as people make it out to be....I feel as a concept album, it kind of falls apart. It feels disjointed and it doesn't do a very good job of crafting a cohesive narrative. good kidd showed it can be done. Maybe something will uncover itself in the near future, though.

I do like it though, but I would probably give it a seven out of ten at this point. It's fun to listen to, that's for sure. Never realized just how unique and well crafted Dan The Automator is as a producer; dude has a great ear.

Fjordson

So Deltron 3030.....

I don't know, I've never really been able to get into this album until now, but I'm not sure if I find it to be as good as people make it out to be....I feel as a concept album, it kind of falls apart. It feels disjointed and it doesn't do a very good job of crafting a cohesive narrative. good kidd showed it can be done. Maybe something will uncover itself in the near future, though.

I do like it though, but I would probably give it a seven out of ten at this point. It's fun to listen to, that's for sure. Never realized just how unique and well crafted Dan The Automator is as a producer; dude has a great ear.
That's a top 10 album all time for me.

I do agree that the narrative lacks cohesion at times, but damn the songs are just too good. Del and Automator in their prime, great guest spots (Damon Albarn) and the sci-fi theme = perfection.

Yeah, I listened to it in full for the first time, I'm already enjoying it a fuck ton more than I did before. I'm not sure if I like it as other people, though. But music often grows on me, and I never make up my mind on albums on first listen. Sometimes it takes multiple listens to really get something, which is fine by me.

Speaking of this, I'm loving Main Source's Breaking Atoms more than I did before, since I always thought it was a brilliant album. I still can't believe that Large Professor was behind Halftime, which has one of my favorite beats in rap. That album was truly groundbreaking, wasn't it?

Dereck

Whenever I see people talking about Deltron 3030, what I rarely see is the praise for Del's rapping. What I usually see is people talking about the story or how it does or doesn't make sense. For me the appeal of that album was Del going in whenever he was on the mic, his mic presence/lyricism was really unique at the time and he had a pretty good flow on there. A lot of the reasons why I like 3030 are the same reasons why I like Both Sides of the Brain, even though I feel that album has a small amount of duds.

Tracks like Virus, Upgrade (A Brymar College Course), Turbulence had Del rapping with so much confidence and perfect cadence.

Whenever I see people talking about Deltron 3030, what I rarely see is the praise for Del's rapping. What I usually see is people talking about the story or how it does or doesn't make sense. For me the appeal of that album was Del going in whenever he was on the mic, his mic presence/lyricism was really unique at the time and he had a pretty good flow on there. A lot of the reasons why I like 3030 are the same reasons why I like Both Sides of the Brain, even though I feel that album has a small amount of duds.

Tracks like Virus, Upgrade (A Brymar College Course), Turbulence had Del rapping with so much confidence and perfect cadence.

I love the album for everything it does from the the production, to Del, to how well the (admittedly kind of goofy) dystopian atmosphere is pulled off. But yeah, Del doesn't get enough credit for what he brings. Just take a minute to read some of his lyrics without listening to the songs and think about how badly the project would've crashed and burned without a rapper willing to commit to those verses. The amount of nerdy sci-fi jargon on there is through the roof but Del's cadence and inflections carry all of it.

Dereck

Just take a minute to read some of his lyrics without listening to the songs and think about how badly the project would've crashed and burned without a rapper willing to commit to those verses.
This is exactly why the sequel album failed.

The verses on 3030 are rock solid, and sometimes when I read the lyrics I'm surprised at what kind of techno-babble this guy squeezed into his rhymes and he made it sound so nice with the flows he used.

This is exactly why the sequel album failed.

The verses on 3030 are rock solid, and sometimes when I read the lyrics I'm surprised at what kind of techno-babble this guy squeezed into his rhymes and he made it sound so nice with the flows he used.

lol, I actually forgot about Event 2. Yeah, that's an album where Del just doesn't get into character as much. He's so monotone in comparison. Dan The Automator is still cooking, but Del doesn't hold up his end.

HiiiLife

Take Care, from what I can tell, has the better production. Too bad the damn library doesn't have it....argh.

40 was working magic on Take Care. I don't think anybody would like Drake as much if it wasn't for his production. Shit so moody lol.

Just make sure you get full length So Far Gone and not the EP. 808 Kanye / Love Below Andre influence extra strong on that mixtape.

His other prohects... Eh. They're Drake projects alright, but to me those two are his standout ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom