• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

Yep gonna pass

There's only, say 4 songs that are on this vibe. There's still quite a few aggressive, uptemo "grime" tracks. Cold and Mr Skeng are my favs right now.

Listened to the album twice now, not sure what to make it. I feel he's trying to be deeper than he is. The church shit just falls flat IMO. I also feel hes got some underlying issue about people claim he's not grime anymore. Seems to mention it a lot.

riotous

Banned
But Hendrix better than all that generic trap he been making you just agreed and the best moments of DS2 are when you can the seams of his hard future exterior coming apart revealing the void.

It's a toss up to me; I'm not big on ranking things. Just know I'll have these 2 albums in a playlist for a while. If I were a music reviewer I'd say Hendrix is the better music; more effort went into it, more interesting production. But I'm not, so I'll keep bobbin' my head to Future as often as I chill to Hendrix.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
giphy.gif

HiResDes

Your cute attempt at a projection aside, we're gonna pretend that Drake hasn't made a career by jacking other artists styles?
Sure in a way, but most good artists borrow sounds and try to piece them together, but the thing is that's not a unique flow...It's pretty common among all of the new Atlanta cats.

riotous

Banned
I will say: There's 4-5 songs on FUTURE I'll probably remove from my playlist for what I consider this double album. Whereas I think all of HENDRXX will make the cut.

But FUTURE is still hype as hell.... TURBO SWITCHIN LANES

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nav's debut album is kind of mediocre-to-bad. Content is so droning and similar from track to track, no real exceptional flows or moments or memorable lines like some of his other singles (or feature on biebs in the trap). Just painfully generic and eye-roll-worthy at times. The title track is the only new track I really fuck with beyond just the production, which it should be noted, is stellar throughout. I want this dude to win, but I'm not seeing it in this project.

Part-way through HNDRXX and this sounds super poppy or at least pandering to that kind of stuff which I'm not fucking with. Hopefully it gets better later on, only really like Damage thus far.

overcast

Sure in a way, but most good artists borrow sounds and try to piece them together, but the thing is that's not a unique flow...It's pretty common among all of the new Atlanta cats.
Drake took this to a whole nother level though man. Careers and artists literally stolen. "OVO CAMPS".

riotous

Banned
Drake took this to a whole nother level though man. Careers and artists literally stolen. "OVO CAMPS".

He's pretty savage; kinda funny that he's "soft" artist in the game when he's steeling people's souls left and right and keeping at the top. I wouldn't say he stole anyone's career though; everyone who did business with Drake gave that shit away.

I rarely listen to his music but I find the hate kinda funny.

IrishNinja

Reminds me of GAF before Trump got elected... THIS will be what ends Drake's career!

i don't think anyone realistically expects that, though...he'll eventually run out of sounds/styles to ape and get less relevant, but you can't be on top as long as he has without making a mark.

i mean, it's hip hop so 10 years down the road he might be on some nelly shit where no one really talks about him, but who knows

up to views i always enjoy his shit & look forward to his albums, but the dusthead code means he can't ever be near a top 20 MC list for me

So, I'm 10 tracks into Hendrix and I'm not seeing it.

It's above average, like a 7-7.5, but it's not this messianic creation delivered unto us that you all seem to be hyping it up to be. The Weeknd song is good because the production on that is dope. The rest of it is just not resounding with me.

HiiiLife

It's above average, like a 7-7.5, but it's not this messianic creation delivered unto us that you all seem to be hyping it up to be. The Weeknd song is good because the production on that is dope. The rest of it is just not resounding with me.

Ya the Abel track cool other than that fresh Air is really the only one I repeated a lot

HiResDes

It don't have to messianic to be good, that Sampha album you hyped to death is pretty good, but it sure as hell ain't messianic either

It don't have to messianic to be good, that Sampha album you hyped to death is pretty good, but it sure as hell ain't messianic either
Fair.

Looking back on the page, I'm probably just misinterpreting the posts above, hyping the album.

Anyway, it's nice and automatically becomes better than FUTURE for having no skits.

Nibel

Nav's debut album is kind of mediocre-to-bad. Content is so droning and similar from track to track, no real exceptional flows or moments or memorable lines like some of his other singles (or feature on biebs in the trap). Just painfully generic and eye-roll-worthy at times. The title track is the only new track I really fuck with beyond just the production, which it should be noted, is stellar throughout. I want this dude to win, but I'm not seeing it in this project.

The Tesfaye feature tho

lit9nswg.gif

Agreeing with the rest

Reckoner

There's something magical about how Abel rides Comin Out Strong, even if it isn't something new from him at all

When Fresh Air starts tho

moEIZKi.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The beat drop and Stormzy's delivery on the first track on Gang Signs & Prayer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> entirety of HNDRXX. Woke me the fuck up.

IIRC, upon first listen, Damage, Selfish and Sorry are my only keepers on HNDRXX. Best evidence that trap Future > R&B Future. Which is weird, because my favourite Future song is R&B. I think it's because lyrics matter a bit more with R&B due to BPM and greater emphasis, and I think he may have come up short most of the time.

sasliquid

There's only, say 4 songs that are on this vibe. There's still quite a few aggressive, uptemo "grime" tracks. Cold and Mr Skeng are my favs right now.

Listened to the album twice now, not sure what to make it. I feel he's trying to be deeper than he is. The church shit just falls flat IMO. I also feel hes got some underlying issue about people claim he's not grime anymore. Seems to mention it a lot.

I'm liking it but it another album that needs the fat trimmed. I wish there were more bangers but stuff like "blinded by your grace pt 2" and "lay me bare" definetly show something I didn't expect (in a good way)

Blinded By Your Grace should one track and it should be part 2.

Lay Me Bare is real good for me.

I think if's a really solid debut and I like the vulnerability of some of the tracks.

The harder stuff still hits hard. There is something on there for everyone and he is going to crossover huge even more.

I understand that the religious stuff may feel contrived but I reckon he is an honest dude so it didn't grate on me.

I wish Cigarettes and Cush was more relatable because I love the vocals. Lily Allen backing is real nice.

I am really excited about seeing him live soon too, the live clips always look insane. His fans are real passionate and possessive of him in a kind of crazy, non-poser way so the interaction should be real good.

We talk about rappers, but curious. What are your favorite Rap Groups all time? Duos I put in a separate category.

I guess Wu Tang? ATCQ is another one.

Still, I think it would have to be these guys:

c2012cdf2c8c40169d6ad222de68ee28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom