• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
tfw you realize MHWilliams is the new bish

2016 is truly the darkest timeline

I love you tho MH

IrishNinja

fuck happened to bish anyway? love that dude

also tfw revisiting OB4CL and ghost is on that I DONT WANNA HEAR NOBODY SOUNDIN LIKE ME and you just feel bad for bronson

PlayDat

Glad I'm getting around to listening to DS2. Shit is fire and definitely one of the 2015's best rap albums.

I was late on this one as well. It was the moment I realized Future just isn't for me. Prior to that I had listened to 56 Nights and Purple Reign. There are only a handful of tracks among all three that I like. I do REALLY enjoy Commas and March Madness.

Just?!??!

Man, that long? Shame on you.

Sarcasm. I personally didn't listen to it in full until I was a teenager (late 00's).

Kwixotik

I've been listening to Lil Ugly Mane and UGK almost exclusively for the past two weeks. Finally got around to listening to Oblivion Access and Ugly's poem/verse in the last two minutes of "Collapse And Appear" keeps flooring me. That and his feature on Antwon's "Rain Song". It took me a while to explore his shit beyond Mista Thug Isolation, Uneven Compromise, and Sleep Until It Hurts You, but I'm glad I got around to it.

Anything interesting in that dark but also braggadocious and Southern lane coming out lately? I guess Southern isn't a requisite, but it'd be a bonus.

That Kanye tracklist has me rolling.

People actually think they'll be a track called "Pikmin 2" on a Kanye album. Nintendo's copyright lawyers are going to kill the shit out of that tracklist.

Dereck

Andre giving every artist he bumps into features but he still won't record a solo album :(
Better to have your fans constantly call you the GOAT after every time you drop a guest verse instead of releasing a solo album and disappointing all of them.

Better to have your fans constantly call you the GOAT after every time you drop a guest verse instead of releasing a solo album and disappointing all of them.
Just watch, Andre going to drop Speedin' Bullet 3 Heaven and wow the world. Cudi'll be known as the GOAT for inspiring 3 Stacks to get back to work.

Dereck

Andre is sticking hard to that special technique of getting people to Tweet "Andre's about to drop an album" every few months to keep the fans hopeful. He's coasting right now.

I'm ashamedly late to both of these parties, but holy shit "1992" and "iiiDrops" are good. I'm digging "iiiDrops" a lot more as of now, but these are some really dope projects.

FZZ

Banned
Soooooo bish is no longer an admin and now stump is losing it in the NateDrake Switch thread

and the dude has been kinda out of it in the Jill Stein recount threads as well

wonder whats going on

anyways when the fuck is More Life gonna drop

Soooooo bish is no longer an admin and now stump is losing it in the NateDrake Switch thread

wonder whats going on

your fav rapper cole dropping an album in two days, just wait it out.

wonder whats going on

Yeah, plus the weird mod reaction in PopGAF where Xia got all heated over the way PopGAF "talks." Weird times.

December 10th is the likely time. It's either that or Cole's album, but I don't think it'll be Cole's record considering that comes out on the 9th.

PlayDat

That Kanye tracklist has me rolling.

People actually think they'll be a track called "Pikmin 2" on a Kanye album. Nintendo's copyright lawyers are going to kill the shit out of that tracklist.

Haha. He couldn't even use Theraflu as a track title. I'm not sure why anyone took that TurboGrafx-16 tweet to be anything other than a joke.
Secret Circle album OTW.
zCjgU9P.gif

IrishNinja

Hard truths

paved the way for jay elecharmonica

wonder whats going on

yeah still waiting to hear what went down with bish, and i gotta go hit those threads up i guess cause stump is my dude

No, I don't

no one does, not even syphons
it's gonna be juelez santana or some shit for my dude

Going through a bunch of 90s albums I haven't heard and hitting few I've already heard along the way.
Re-listened to Lifestyle of Da Poor and Dangerous again to start off, I'll never understand the praise for L, so much weak songwriting and eh rapping, nothing on this or his posthumous albums justifies it in my mind, only his freestyles really.
Gonna listen to "Deep puddle dynamics-the taste of rain why kneel" next.

Going through a bunch of 90s albums I haven't heard and hitting few I've already heard along the way.
Re-listened to Lifestyle of Da Poor and Dangerous again to start off, I'll never understand the praise for L, so much weak songwriting and eh rapping, nothing on this or his posthumous albums justifies it in my mind, only his freestyles really.
Gonna listen to "Deep puddle dynamics-the taste of rain why kneel" next.

Eh rapping?

Wat?

Eh rapping?

Wat?
His rapping doesn't seem like much for me to write home about, especially when it compared to the people they commonly try to place Big L against.
Didn't get much from his punchlines either, no better than what I've heard from other rappers.
This albums to me sounded as though L was perpetually stuck in that early 90s style where they just figured out how to be really lyrical but the abc is still constantly present (which makes sense considering most of it was recorded earlier and only released in 95 because of label issues).
And I would be fine with that if his posthumous material on The Big Picture was any better, but it was only slightly better songwriting wise and still stuck in the past.
I mean Ebonics (ugh that chorus) is interesting as a lyrical exercise, but songs like Lyrical Exercise or 22 Two's or Backseat Freestyle do so much more with the rappity rap song concept.
Ebonics is like Common making Watermelon in 99.
There were only a few moments that made me say "oh", otherwise I got substanceless punchlines with a bunch of early 90s/awkward sounding lines leading up to them on repetive tracks, the tracks honestly sounded juvenile (writing wise), especially when he tried to get "real"/"concious".
Oh and there was like 4 songs where half of the content was giving chicks aids on each track.
My favorite moment on the album was probably how he named one song "Big L" and had the climax of the song be him saying "This is The Lifestyle of Da Poor and Dangerous", it was really creative and I always love moments like that (think Jay's sorta 3rd wall breaking mafiaso shout outs on Bring It On).
I've listened to this album like 20 times trying to get him though, so maybe it's just not for me.

codhand

paved the way for jay elecharmonica

yeah still waiting to hear what went down with bish, and i gotta go hit those threads up i guess cause stump is my dude

no one does, not even syphons
it's gonna be juelez santana or some shit for my dude

mariogif0yquj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom