• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

giphy.gif

HiResDes

The first six tracks are sequenced perfectly on Stoney, but yeah the rest has some big hiccups so disappointing. Started off so emotional. The beat on Hit This Hard is incredible though

This new J Cole feels significantly less diverse than FHD, and it really hurts the album. It's not bad, but it's pretty boring on first listen. I suppose he's progressed, but I really don't care for the progression.

The composition is really solid though, yeah. I do appreciate that. I just really wasn't expecting this.

Less diverse? The instrumentation alone is more diverse than FHD. It's also more ambitious, and a "concept album."

Few good tracks on the cole album on first couple listens. Definitely a much stronger first impression
Than FHD.

Immortal, Neighbors, folding clothes are all nice. Its very much on the nose but Cole's never been one for nuance but I can appreciate it.

Also there's a twitter thing going on about the Deja Vu beat. Vinylz and Boi1da claim that Vinylz made the beat first and the producer who did the bryson tiller song stole it. He basically admitted to it on twitter too.
http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=6066137.0

Stoney is so wavy, and yeah like Des said it starts super strong, but it's too long. Deluxe version is over an hour, Post Malone noooo. August 26th was so good in part because it was condensed. Got in, did what it did, and got out with you wanting more.

But damn Post Malone's melodies + the production still make it easy to play this whole thing through, even the "ehhhhhhh" tracks. I'm conflicted.

J. Cole on the other hand..... Nah.

OG Kush

Sometimes when I listen to Post Malone I feel like I'm listening to down south country boy, wearing a cowboy hat, pretending to be a trapper.

4 your eyez is the type of music that gets played at an independent coffee shop run by 30 year old white dudes

foldin clothes is the corniest shit i've ever heard.

Dre3001

This Cole album definitely has a mellow and soulful vibe to it so I could see some people not rocking with this.

Only songs I'm not rocking with is folding clothes. Other than that I would say this is up there with FHD to me.

Basically if you don't like Cole this album won't make you a fan and if you are a fan than you are probably liking the album.

Lyrically though this is probably the sharpest he has ever been. Only weak point is that Cole insists on singing all his choruses. Some hooks would definitely benefit from an actual singer.

Syntsui

New Cole is what fans would expect from him and won't change the haters opinions. He will go platinum again with no features and life will go on.

Personally I preferred FHD, but it's a nice listen anyway. It's not an album meant to be played again and again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
whew, who would have imagined that by 2016, all three of Kendrick, Cole and Drake would have failed us with their latest big releases

#ZeroHeroes
#NoIdols

haven't listened to the new Cole yet but not expecting much based on how exceptionally awful the single was

whew, who would have imagined that by 2016, all three of Kendrick, Cole and Drake would have failed us with their latest big releases

#ZeroHeroes
#NoIdols

haven't listened to the new Cole yet but not expecting much based on how exceptionally awful the single was

Views is a great album that yall gonna be talking about in a few years. You cowards aint sensitive enough for it yet.

Dre3001

I wonder if most of the people bashing Cole know that he dropped a concept album.

The whole album is a time capsule from a drug dealer, left for his daughter. Cole is just talking as him for the whole album, until the title track where he says his dealer friend who died asked him to tell his story so that his daughter could hear it.

Views is a great album that yall gonna be talking about in a few years. You cowards aint sensitive enough for it yet.
Nah. The last album from Drake the artist was "Nothing Was The Same."

VIEWS is just a melange of culture-vultured ideas and pop sensibilities. Views a year before it released must have been more grime-centric, a year before that a minor evolution of the Toronto sound Drake's been "pioneering" for years. Drake's aimless and has no real vision for what he wants his sound to be like, all he does know is what he wants the Drake brand to represent: pop domination.

T Dollarz

I see everyone putting Jeffery on their year end lists with SS3 and I'm Up nowhere in site.

SS3+I'm Up> Jeffery

Whoa breh, take a step back. I'm up is nowhere close to the other two. It's gonna be tough for me to decide which I want between SS3 and JEFFERY on my list. I'd like to keep it at one per artist, but both were truly phenomenal.

I like the concept in the Cole album. I didn't even catch that it was a concept album until the last couple tracks.

Damn, Cole put out a decent album.

Immortal,Neighbors,4YEO,Change are my highlights. The Deja Vu track is probably the worst because I instantly think of the Bryson Tiller song.

Like someone said above, definitely the sharpest Cole has been lyrically in a minute, gets a but pedantic but it doesnt hurt it too much.

Buuuuuut

That "dont believe in santa" shit on shes mine pt.2 made me roll my eyes hard af

J. Cole, just like Frank Ocean, benefits greatly from the fact people will give the album more than one spin before judging... and partially due to the general nature of repetition you'll begin to appreciate the music.

the album is cool.

I enjoyed J. Cole '4 Your Eyez Only' more after the initial spin.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WOAT part of VIEWS-era Drake is him fueling and creating a caricature of the "Toronto" accent, which pretty much started and continues as a wannabe-Jamaican thing, which is kind of fitting. Now it's gone overboard from people I know.

The project itself.. IDK. I don't even think aping other styles is the main issue with it. I've warmed up to it a bit since release, but the songs just aren't that good overall. Keep the Family Close, U With Me, Feel No Ways, Weston Road Flows, Redemption, Too Good, and Fire & Desire are pretty true to Drake's style (though even that has it's obv influences), the rest is jumbled and shameless, but even some of those make for some of the better songs on the album (Controlla/Pop Style).

Zekes!

I can't get behind Post Malone whatsoever. Dude just rubs me the wrong way. He looks and sounds like somebody I want to slap

I probably won't bother listening to this J.Cole. I barely remember Forest Hill Drive except for No Role Modelz

Fjordson

WOAT part of VIEWS-era Drake is him fueling and creating a caricature of the "Toronto" accent, which pretty much started and continues as a wannabe-Jamaican thing, which is kind of fitting. Now it's gone overboard from people I know.

The project itself.. IDK. I don't even think aping other styles is the main issue with it. I've warmed up to it a bit since release, but the songs just aren't that good overall. Keep the Family Close, U With Me, Feel No Ways, Weston Road Flows, Redemption, Too Good, and Fire & Desire are pretty true to Drake's style (though even that has it's obv influences), the rest is jumbled and shameless, but even some of those make for some of the better songs on the album (Controlla/Pop Style).
Agreed. Aping other styles has never been something I care about with music from any artist, if it sounds good it sounds good. I just don't think the songs are that good on Views. A few are pretty great imo, like Feel No Ways, but as an album (an 81 minute album no less) it's not very replayable for me. And this is coming from a pretty huge Drake fan.

Sometimes when I listen to Post Malone I feel like I'm listening to down south country boy, wearing a cowboy hat, pretending to be a trapper.
That's kind of what he is tbh. Just with cornrows instead of the cowboy hat.

I can't deny that his whole image and persona feels artificial at times and some of his lyrics are corny, but he can write a nice melody and usually has pretty good production.

There are some definitely some misses on Stoney, but overall I think it's dope.

DangerStepp

Born Sinner was awful, dumped J. Cole.

Skipped FHD.

Gave him a chance because I thought 'False Prophets' was good.

Listened to 4 Your Eyez Only.

Nope. Putting J. Cole back in the tank.

Controlla is probably my favorite single released this year. I thought Views was an average album but there was plenty of good stuff on it. With You is a sleeper for me.

4 Your Eyez Only is gunna be used at a lot of wedding receptions. It has that "floating on air" vibe to the production and the thematic content to match a wedding's atmosphere.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
fan theory...does this makes sense for those of u who heard the album already? damn...

1481310022_369b78d15ef3dbe6f04ea91dd19428db.jpg

Ab-Soul's craft is definitely much better on this new album but I'm increasingly not a fan of conspiracy brother raps the older I get. 17 year old bobbychalkers would have loved it.

Dre3001

It could be and it's a neat concept.

Too bad the music and everything surrounding it isn't that great.

I like the album but I think this is Cole's biggest fault.

Whether in arrogance or just unaware of criticisms, Cole's albums could be much better if he had outside help.

With these last two albums Cole seems like he is trying to come off as a discount Lupe Fiasco. He wants to make these artistic "raw" projects but can't seem to fit everything together. The concepts are there, the lyrics are there, but the production is weak and the singing is poor.

I still think his latest project is solid but I definitely can understand lots of the criticisms people have about it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If you're gonna slander TLOP but stan for a dude making songs about folding clothes and drinking almond milk, your opinion belongs in the goddamn trash-bin.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
VIEWS still has a slew of keepers, yeah.

For me:

U With Me?
Controlla
Pop Style (Remix)
Fire & Desire

What I really want from Drake is just an album full of U With Me?s and Fire & Desires. Won't stop him doing all the more upbeat/hype/trap/party singles like 0-100, just give me a cohesive project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom