• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
honestly, kendrick is top 5. he's prob #5 on the top 5 list, but he's proven himself. like honestly, what's the real ranking here?

5 - kendrick
4 - kanye
3 - jay z
2 - nas
1 - tupac / biggie

like maybe not in that order but in terms of rapping, albums, and overall cultural footprint, that gotta be a more or less concrete list right?

When it comes to overall cultural footprint, I can get down with that, not in terms of rapping and albums for the first 2 though

LionPride

Banned
Fuck The Spurs.

But you know Kawhi is better than every person on y'alls roster by a country mile

stay delusional if you want, majority agree he is the best ever or easily top 3.

Imma pull one from your book, why should I care about the majority? What did Tupac do when it came purely to his music to deserve to be put in my personal top 5 because that's all these lists are, personal favorites.

honestly i already regret posting that

but i think cultural footprint is very important in determining top 5, otherwise there are just too many variables at play. hell, otherwise we could just be ranking individual wu tang members and thats just messy

Eos

Fuck The Spurs.

full

No he isn't. Don't bring that conversation into here please.

It's about even as far as ranking, the rest of the statement I just can't agree with lol.

On paper Jay Z has and will continue to have one of the greatest rap careers/legacies of all time, but what's on paper/stats doesn't matter, Jay's current legacy/public perception is horrid and will only continue to get worse.

-He will not be remembered as a lyricist or a good rapper, only as a businessman with pop hits (he's going to go down in history as a worse rapper/artist than Eminem/Big L/Busta Rhymes/DMX for just three of many rappers who he will be remembered as worse than).

-It will falsely be remembered that Biggie was his mentor/teacher that taught him everything

-He will be remembered as a flow/lyric thief who got everything at the start of his career from the better rappers Jaz-O and Nas/hopping from dick to dick, and continued to build the rest of his career off of stolen bars and hopping on features to stay relevant

-He will falsely be remembered as someone who owes all of his success/status to Kanye/Beyoncé

-He will falsely be remembered as a snake/not "real"/someone who didn't bring anyone with them to success which amongst many of the falsities about Jay's life/character that millions already believe will continue to be passed down as fact and just like they've done for the past two decades lead to millions thinking he's a shit rapper

And that's just the start, Jay doesn't have "the streets", the general public, the hypebeasts, the underground elitists, or any other group that will carry on his legacy, there will be no Jay Z statues or murals, he's not going to get a gushing outpouring of love on his death like we've seen for many celebrities over the past years, and so on so forth, there's just way too much evidence supporting everything I'm saying.

Hitta93

Banned
On paper Jay Z has and will continue to have one of the greatest rap careers/legacies of all time, but what's on paper/stats doesn't matter, Jay's current legacy/public perception is horrid and will only continue to get worse.

-He will not be remembered as a lyricist or a good rapper, only as a businessman with pop hits (he's going to go down in history as a worse rapper/artist than Eminem/Big L/Busta Rhymes/DMX for just three of many rappers who he will be remembered as worse than).

-It will falsely be remembered that Biggie was his mentor/teacher that taught him everything

-He will be remembered as a flow/lyric thief who got everything at the start of his career from the better rappers Jaz-O and Nas/hopping from dick to dick, and continued to build the rest of his career off of stolen bars and hopping on features to stay relevant

-He will falsely be remembered as someone who owes all of his success/status to Kanye/Beyoncé

-He will falsely be remembered as a snake/not "real"/someone who didn't bring anyone with them to success which amongst many of the falsities about Jay's life/character that millions already believe will continue to be passed down as fact and just like they've done for the past two decades lead to millions thinking he's a shit rapper

And that's just the start, Jay doesn't have "the streets", the general public, the hypebeasts, the underground elitists, or any other group that will carry on his legacy, there will be no Jay Z statues or murals, he's not going to get a gushing outpouring of love on his death like we've seen for many celebrities over the past years, and so on so forth, there's just way too much evidence supporting everything I'm saying.
Where's the evidence because this is new to me.

LionPride

Banned
Pretty sure I already explained it for the most part in the NBA thread and you read the comments.

Not wasting my time to do that again.
You really didn't explain yourself, other people, me included, posted rankings, then revised them having Kawhi in the top 4. I wanna know your personal players above The Claw Mr. "LaMarcus Aldridge is better than Kawhi"

Hitta93

Banned
I did, if Gaf Hop wants to read the comments and decide for themselves if they agree or not, they are free to do so, otherwise, no Kawhi isn't a top 4 player. Not even close.

Hitta93

Banned
Everything said about Jay Z on any site/comments section from circa Ether era up until now.
Or do you mean evidence for the specific points?

Both, I'm going to copy and paste your quote to see what this FB hip hop group I'm in(NY based too) thinks of it because I know Jay gets a bad rap, but I felt it was overlooked.

Koozek

Can't rank Kendrick over Drake personally, even though he went the pop route.
I really wonder if Drake will ever be considered Top 5. I don't think he will ever by the current guard of 90's-centric Hip-Hop critics, that's for sure. Maybe when Complex, Genius & Co. will have Top 5 discussions in 10 years or so. What will that new Top 5 look like?

And deep down, I think, Drake is pissed that he still hasn't had that "classic" album, that's artistically revered and loved by Real Rap fans too, like GKMC or TBAP. I'm sure he's still a Hip-Hip Head in his heart no matter how nonchalant and above-it-all he seems to be nowadays with his status.

effzee

Pretty sure outside of the internet rap world, Jay Z are beloved by fans and fellow rappers.

All the new rappers mention him as inspiration or in their top 5. The hate for Jay is so intense that people are re-writing his history, impact, and place in the rap world.

Anyway, I personally found Damn to be better than To Pimp a Butterfly. I also wanted to add that while I don't like all of Kendrick's output all the time, the one thing I always appreciate about his work is it never seems forced. By that I mean while he might collaborate with pop stars, his own albums never have rapper of the week guest appearances or any forced collabos just to capture whatever is hot at the moment.

after listening to new kendrick at every get-together this weekend i'm really feeling it. think i only desire putting it on in that kinda social setting, but it's perfect for that. spring is here mood.

also playboi carti is coming to my town next friday prob gonna hit that up

e: also also catching up with the thread and seeing a kendrick stan scream fuck nas makes me want to never listen to kendrick again smh

Exodust

Banned
Nigga I don't give a fuck about what change he did, he ain't have a single fucking good album! None, zero, zip! Nigga's trash as fuck

So I repeat

Fuck Nas

Man, I'm a Nas stan who loves the "Nas lost" meme but how the fuck can you listen to hiphop and have this opinion? Did Nas date rape your sister and emasculate your father or something?

I really wonder if Drake will ever be considered Top 5. I don't think he will ever by the current guard of 90's-centric Hip-Hop critics, that's for sure. Maybe when Complex, Genius & Co. will have Top 5 discussions in 10 years or so. What will that new Top 5 look like?

And deep down, I think, Drake is pissed that he still hasn't had that "classic" album, that's artistically revered and loved by Real Rap fans too, like GKMC or TBAP. I'm sure he's still a Hip-Hip Head in his heart no matter how nonchalant and above-it-all he seems to be nowadays with his status.

I doubt Drake cares. There was a time where he probably did but at this point he realizes he's the man. Nobody is going to remember Kendrick's albums in a decade or two, whereas Drake has an endless amount of hit songs that are the soundtrack for people's lives. Albums are dead, unfortunately. Singles matter. Kendrick doesn't really have any, well outside of like 2-3. Drake will be the dominant voice of his generation of rap just as Jay-Z was of his.; I'm sure people might argue Jay-Z didn't drop the best albums of that era but nobody cares.

I doubt Drake cares. There was a time where he probably did but at this point he realizes he's the man. Nobody is going to remember Kendrick's albums in a decade or two, whereas Drake has an endless amount of hit songs that are the soundtrack for people's lives. Albums are dead, unfortunately. Singles matter. Kendrick doesn't really have any, well outside of like 2-3. Drake will be the dominant voice of his generation of rap just as Jay-Z was of his.; I'm sure people might argue Jay-Z didn't drop the best albums of that era but nobody cares.
Holy shit, and here I thought LionPride was going to be king of the trolls.

What a horseshit argument, because a) albums do matter and will always matter and b) Drake isn't the voice of any generation.

LionPride

Banned
Man, I'm a Nas stan who loves the "Nas lost" meme but how the fuck can you listen to hiphop and have this opinion? Did Nas date rape your sister and emasculate your father or something?
He. Doesn't. Have. A. Good. Album. I listened to his albums, I tried, it didn't hit. That's how I have that opinion.

Holy shit, and here I thought LionPride was going to be king of the trolls.

What a horseshit argument, because a) albums do matter and will always matter and b) Drake isn't the voice of any generation.
It's weird ain't it

Sitting in the house playing video games.
You gotta get one. Get a PS4 Pro, and turn the lights off, and play Resident Evil or some shit like that. Nah. You not gonna have a good day. Trust me.

So, why do you it if it's not a good day, if it's stressing you out?
'Cause you gotta do it. You pay $60 for the shit. You gotta go through it.

Why did you pay $60 for it if it's gonna stress you out?

'Cause I didn't know it was gonna be like that. I be at the GameStop just hanging out and I was like, "What's up, bro?" He gave me the little slap-and-dap. And I'm like, ”What's new?" He was like, ”Get Resident Evil and get Final Fantasy." I was like, ”I'm not gonna play Final Fantasy." Whatever. Got it. Played it for like 10 minutes. Turned it off. Turned on Resident Evil, and then the motherfucker chopped my hand off, but it's highly addictive 'cause you gotta get out of that fuckin house.
LMAO.

Koozek in shambles, I look forward to your angry tweets at Vince about his inability to enjoy the finest Japanese RPG game ever made.

The whole interview is great, check it out, but Vince is like that guy from "Full Metal Jacket", the one with the thousand yard stare. The bit about fans in it is so fucking true, because the nature between artists and fans is so twisted and fucked up in that we expect things from them and expect them to give them to us regardless of what they want i.e. Kendrick's "second album", Future's three-peat, etc.

If you don't think Illmatic is a great album your views on hip hop are largely worthless. It's the equalivent of being a "jazz fan" who thinks Love Supreme isn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom