• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
What about using the full word on TV, for example, if you're quoting what an actual racist person/politician said? I feel like saying "n-word" instead just softens the impact of the actual hateful, vile words that were said. I'm thinking of this situation on CNN where the host acted more disgusted at a guest using the full word while quoting Jeff Sessions than at Sessions who actually said the word. This is just silly to me.
I still don't feel comfortable with that, but shit is needed sometimes because people don't care about the N word. Say nigger though and people feel a bit uncomfortable

I don't feel the need to say it but I sure as hell am saying it if I rap along to a great track. There's a world of different between that and casually dropping it in a conversation.
No there isn't

thabiz

Rapping along? Loooooooooooooool

Y'all just mumbling the words till you get to the n word, then just scream it out with authority like you a g.

Loooooooooooooool

College kids will never change.

Ever since I read Huckleberry Finn in 3rd or 4th grade (and by read I mean only half of it, the first time I read it and each time I've read it after that, I always quit at some point while he's on the island with Jim for some reason) I've held the strong opinion that it (nigger) should always be said/read no matter by who if that's what the text or conversation requires.

It always irritated me in History Class.

Helmholtz

Man it never even occurs to me to try to rap along to hiphop, I rather just listen/move to it
As a white guy that shit just reminds me of the opening scene of office space

Exodust

Banned
Rapping along? Loooooooooooooool

Y'all just mumbling the words till you get to the n word, then just scream it out with authority like you a g.

Loooooooooooooool

College kids will never change.

Yeah, sure buddy. Nobody sings along to songs they like either.

Numb

she seems like she prob says it alot tbh. not sure why anyone would rush to defend her.

but i dont get it is it cool or not? i say it at concerts and dont give two shits. if someone wants to drag me over some shit like that then so be it but im always gracious if someone is offended. full disclosure im a white girl

edit: i just feel like you shouldnt be saying it on the regular, like at whole foods or something. but at the same time if no one is checking her and just getting offended on twitter later on then of course she's gonna act some type of way
full

If you're one of those people that says the dialogue along to movies that you're watching, do you:

1) Censor yourself when watching a movie like Django Unchained?
2) Use a hard R?

Asking for personal research.

LionPride

Banned
The real question, beyond why do people feel some type of way because they can't say one fucking word...

Is why do you wanna say nigga so bad? What about that specific word is so tantalizing that you get upset when someone says not to say it

Exodust

Banned
The real question, beyond why do people feel some type of way because they can't say one fucking word...

Is why do you wanna say nigga so bad? What about that specific word is so tantalizing that you get upset when someone says not to say it

What the fuck are you on about? Never said I would say the word or just want to say it. I just don't like awkwardly skipping a word if I choose to sing along to a rap track. I don't care at all about saying the word outside of that.

LionPride

Banned
What the fuck are you on about? Never said I would say the word or just want to say it. I just don't like awkwardly skipping a word if I choose to sing along to a rap track. I don't care at all about saying the word outside of that.
Was I talking to you?

Exodust

Banned
Your post came right after mine where I quoted a post quoting you. Who were you talking to? Or is it just a general statement?

EDIT: Fair enough, reread your post and it didn't seem directed at me. Disregard.

riotous

Banned
The new Kweku Collins is even more inventive albeit a bit less catchy than Nat Love.

Thanks for the heads up on the new album, saw you post about it the other day.

It definitely starts really strong with some great tracks; on both my listens I kind of got bored at some point though and didn't pay much attention to the second half. That remake of Maps kind of loses me; the original song being 100 times better doesn't help.

hey guys i'm super white but also jewish so kinda a minority? we had 4000 bad years and now everyone is all up on us cause 80 good years. jews control the media etc. etc. fuck yeah we do! we waited 4000 years to control the media, let us have this one. jeez.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Peep the AD I just posted.

Yeah I downloaded g perico, AD, and Compton AV all at the same time and the AD album is by far the best.

I'm also really unexpectedly feeling the new blackbear album digital druglord.

Is the New York Blackout the number one or at minimum top three Hip Hop historical event?

"During the blackout, numerous looters stole DJ equipment from electronics stores. As a result, the hip hop genre, barely known outside the Bronx at the time, grew at an astounding rate from 1977 onward.[7] Three decades later, Grandmaster Caz recalled for a Slate article and podcast that, when the power went out, he and his partner DJ Disco Wiz were playing records, running their equipment from an outlet in a park. At first they thought the outage was local and caused by something they had done, but realized when they heard stores closing that it was citywide. He took advantage of the widespread looting in their part of the Bronx to get a mixing board, as did other aspiring rappers and DJs. "After the blackout, all this new wealth … was found by people and they just—opportunity sprang from that," he recalled. "And you could see the differences [in their sound] before the blackout and after."

So many things are just erased had that never happened, legends cut short, sound shifts, evolution of the culture, rap as we know it not the same.

Imagine if DJ Clark Kent never stole his first turntables during the blackout, that not only erases his solo career, but it means he never convinced Jay to stop selling drugs/take rap seriously (which means Jay either dies, goes to jail, or quits for some other reason and lives a normal life) and help kick-start his career/develop him as an artist, which means no Rocafella, which means no more Kanye and so much other stuff.

HiResDes

Yeah I downloaded g perico, AD, and Compton AV all at the same time and the AD album is by far the best.

I'm also really unexpectedly feeling the new blackbear album digital druglord.
Me too man it's catchy, definition got some bops the little blackbear EP he put out was cool too.

Is the New York Blackout the number one or at minimum top three Hip Hop historical event?

"During the blackout, numerous looters stole DJ equipment from electronics stores. As a result, the hip hop genre, barely known outside the Bronx at the time, grew at an astounding rate from 1977 onward.[7] Three decades later, Grandmaster Caz recalled for a Slate article and podcast that, when the power went out, he and his partner DJ Disco Wiz were playing records, running their equipment from an outlet in a park. At first they thought the outage was local and caused by something they had done, but realized when they heard stores closing that it was citywide. He took advantage of the widespread looting in their part of the Bronx to get a mixing board, as did other aspiring rappers and DJs. "After the blackout, all this new wealth ... was found by people and they just—opportunity sprang from that," he recalled. "And you could see the differences [in their sound] before the blackout and after."

So many things are just erased had that never happened, legends cut short, sound shifts, evolution of the culture, rap as we know it not the same.

Imagine if DJ Clark Kent never stole his first turntables during the blackout, that not only erases his solo career, but it means he never convinced Jay to stop selling drugs/take rap seriously (which means Jay either dies, goes to jail, or quits for some other reason and lives a normal life) and help kick-start his career/develop him as an artist, which means no Rocafella, which means no more Kanye and so much other stuff.

Did you pick this event because it indirectly revolves around Jay-Z?

"During the blackout, numerous looters stole DJ equipment from electronics stores. As a result, the hip hop genre, barely known outside the Bronx at the time, grew at an astounding rate from 1977 onward.[7] Three decades later, Grandmaster Caz recalled for a Slate article and podcast that, when the power went out, he and his partner DJ Disco Wiz were playing records, running their equipment from an outlet in a park. At first they thought the outage was local and caused by something they had done, but realized when they heard stores closing that it was citywide. He took advantage of the widespread looting in their part of the Bronx to get a mixing board, as did other aspiring rappers and DJs. "After the blackout, all this new wealth … was found by people and they just—opportunity sprang from that," he recalled. "And you could see the differences [in their sound] before the blackout and after."

Have you seen the get down. There's an episode that focuses on this event and how it ties into the hip hop movement

The Kami album is dope.

The Sorry Jaynari & A.D. album is dope as well

The A7PHA album is a nice veer away from the sounds of the above 2 too.

Good recs.

HiResDes

I couldn't stand that Kami album, probably my least favorite thing I've heard this year. I love some of the music he's emulating, but it's just not done well and comes off cringey

Bronx-Man

Banned
Listening again, I love All-AmeriKKKan Bada$$. Manages to do the soulful urban sound that's been popping lately without biting TPaB like a lot of albums have lately with all the jazzfunk instrumentals. Good Morning AmeriKKKa's a great opener, reminds me of the self-titled from Joh Legend & The Roots' "Wake Up!"

I couldn't stand that Kami album, probably my least favorite thing I've heard this year. I love some of the music he's emulating, but it's just not done well and comes off cringey
There are moments that come off more as grating, that I can definitely agree, but the moments that hit really hit me in that soft spot I have for melodic autotuned wailing over for atmospheric beats.

But, yeah, definitely needs more refinement before it becomes truly spectacular.

Koozek

say what you will about logic's music but as a person i think he's probably pretty nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAz_tXijm-k
He's a good kid, yeah. Never listened to any of his albums in full, but watched many interviews where he talked about how he grew up and what it was like for him as a biracial kid.

https://youtu.be/74ze2Fq-G4k?t=2m49s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIb-qy-jf4s

"Logic talks to Father + Brother about Not Following Them Into Street Life, Addiction + More"

Listening again, I love All-AmeriKKKan Bada$$. Manages to do the soulful urban sound without biting TPaB like a lot of albums have lately with all the jazzfunk instrumentals. Good Morning AmeriKKKa's a great opener, reminds me of the self-titled from Joh Legend & The Roots' "Wake Up!"
Liking it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom