• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, in your opinion do we need PS5 Pro?

Is a PS5 Pro necessary?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

That's where my games are.
But you said you want the best option for your gaming, to the extent of spending hundreds of dollars to do so. Why play on console then? That's not the best option, the best option is PC, you are already spending hundreds of dollars, so why not get the best option?

Just curious.

Bond007

I could live without it.
But since its coming i will end up getting it day one for my main setup and moving my current to another room.

Ive said for a long time it was "too early" for a Pro when the rumors started. I no longer think its too early.

King Dazzar

Need in this case is subjective. But I'd love one for sure.

Season 5 Yes GIF by Paramount+

vivftp

But you said you want the best option for your gaming, to the extent of spending hundreds of dollars to do so. Why play on console then? That's not the best option, the best option is PC, you are already spending hundreds of dollars, so why not get the best option?

Just curious.

PC gaming hasn't interested me in over 20 years. And again, that's not where my games are. That's not where all the games I want to play launch day 1. PC gaming is not a factor for me, just like the Switch isn't a factor for me. It's not even on my radar

LakeOf9

Thinking about buying an Apple Watch? Well, good luck and enjoy your WOKE workout notifications.
My favorite is the people complaining that a Zelda game with Zelda as the protagonist is Nintendo going woke

Like these people share five brain cells among all of them basically

LakeOf9

PC gaming hasn't interested me in over 20 years. And again, that's not where my games are. That's not where all the games I want to play launch day 1. PC gaming is not a factor for me, just like the Switch isn't a factor for me. It's not even on my radar
So it's more about getting the best experience within the ecosystem that does provide you the games you want, right? That's fair, it makes sense.

If the games that don't launch on PC day one right now were to one day do that (I assume you are referring to Sony's first party titles), would you change your mind? Or are you more interested in the console experience to be swayed?

Again, sorry for so many questions!

tommib

My favorite is the people complaining that a Zelda game with Zelda as the protagonist is Nintendo going woke

Like these people share five brain cells among all of them basically
Well the other side is complaining that Zelda is doing sexist tasks as arranging furniture and not being a transmasculine MC strong enough to hold a sword.

Everyone’s insane? That’s my take.

LakeOf9

Well the other side is complaining that Zelda is doing sexist tasks as arranging furniture and not being a transmasculine MC strong enough to hold a sword.

Everyone’s insane? That’s my take.
Oh I saw the "Nintendo is sexist because Zelda is arranging furniture" takes, they are hilarious

Like I said, the "everything is WOKE" people are as toxic as Era lol

AmuroChan

No, nothing video games related is a "need". It's a hobby. It's not essential to life. Do I need a Rolls Royce? No, but they exist and it's fine. It doesn't bother me that things I don't "need" exist. The market will ultimately dictate what the demand of a given product is.

nowhat

Thinking about buying an Apple Watch? Well, good luck and enjoy your WOKE workout notifications.
I don't know if you knew this, but now there's "anti-woke" bottled water. How it differs from regular water, I have no idea. I guess it has only two genders.

Day one for me. I know that devs could optimize better on base consoles, but that's not going to happen because time is money, give them a toggle box for PSSR and more brute force power, that will solve 90% of our issues.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The technology to do that exists in the current PS5 that is out on the market, you don't need a Pro or PS6 for that
Not picking on you but I am surprised to read this from anyone who has been playing videogames for a while. Two main reasons. One, this stuff is relative. The PS5 can run PS4 Pro games at 4K/60fps without a problem. But PS4 Pro level settings are no longer good enough. Right now we see UE5 crushing the consoles, right? Welll, the PS6 will likely handle it with ease, except by then, much more will be demanded. Graphics are not going to stop advancing so fixed platforms can catch up. Two, not even 4090s are running games at native 4K quite often. That is a $1600 GPU so in what world is a $500 console going to do it? We are in a world of sub-native resolutions and fancy algorithmic upscaling and that is not going to go away.
The technology to do that exists in the current PS5 that is out on the market, you don't need a Pro or PS6 for that
All of you didnt read properly. Native 4k, not upscaled 4k, native 4k with raytracing is something we do not have on any console and i do not think you guys understand the processing power required to run at native resolution at high framerates a game that has not just some shitty RT reflections, but RTGI and or pathtracing. Dafuq u cant even run that shit on PC at native and 60+ lol. Again, no dlss, no fsr, native. Upscaling only used in heavy pathtraced games.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
All of you didnt read properly. Native 4k, not upscaled 4k, native 4k with raytracing is something we do not have on any console and i do not think you guys understand the processing power required to run at native resolution at high framerates a game that has not just some shitty RT reflections, but RTGI and or pathtracing. Dafuq u cant even run that shit on PC at native and 60+ lol. Again, no dlss, no fsr, native. Upscaling only used in heavy pathtraced games.
I don't see how I misunderstood you. If a fancy PC that costs thousands of dollars cant do native resolution with all this stuff turned on, a cheap console won't. And by the time a console comes that can render a game from today with all that stuff, a game from today will look outdated. It's just not going to happen, these are fixed platforms while the tech is always advancing.

There is a reason why the Pro is leaning into supersampling, native is dead basically, on all platforms.

bender

What time is it?
I struggle to find reasons to want one and if I'm in that mindset, I struggle to think how this will be marketed to the average consumer. Further, I'll skip the base PS6 and wait for the Pro model of that to come out. That's made even easier with cross-generation support being predominant this generation. Hell, I could play the vast majority of the titles of enjoyed on my PS5 on my PS4 Pro.

SHA

I've to make a list before jumping to conclusion,

Unreleased games
-Borderlands 4
-Resident Evil 9
-Metal Gear Solid
-Noughty Dog
-Guerrilla Games
-Insomniac
-Quantic Dreams
-EA
-R*
-Bethesda
-CDProjeckt
-Square Enix
-ABK

Released games
-Builders Gate 3
-Dragons Dogma 2
-Lords of the Fallen
-Hogwarts Lagacy
-Atomic Hearts
-Metro Exodus

We don't unless they found a way to push for 60fps a cross the whole platform.

Last edited:

tommib

I struggle to find reasons to want one and if I'm in that mindset, I struggle to think how this will be marketed to the average consumer. Further, I'll skip the base PS6 and wait for the Pro model of that to come out. That's made even easier with cross-generation support being predominant this generation. Hell, I could play the vast majority of the titles of enjoyed on my PS5 on my PS4 Pro.
Hey you’ll be able to use the quality native 4K mode in Elden Ring at locked 60. That’s reason enough for me and it should be for you my brother.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I don't see how I misunderstood you. If a fancy PC that costs thousands of dollars cant do native resolution with all this stuff turned on, a cheap console won't. And by the time a console comes that can render a game from today with all that stuff, a game from today will look outdated. It's just not going to happen, these are fixed platforms while the tech is always advancing.

There is a reason why the Pro is leaning into supersampling, native is dead basically, on all platforms.
Then whats the point of a new console? Upscaling and whatnot can be done and improved on current gen consoles. If were going to get new ones they should actually feel like next gen because honestly this gen has been quite unimpressive console wise and the best looking games such as horizon or tlou2 were also on ps4.

Švejk

Banned
With the ridiculous inflation, regardless, it's not going to perform as well as they hope, if so.
That being said, I'm currently on Team No, we don't. Save it all for PS6.

KiteGr

No.

The looks give diminishing returns and they can't keep up in terms of cost. I'll say, unless they have some ground breaking idea, they should delay releasing a PS6 or an Xbox sparkle3000 (the names have always been ridiculous).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Then whats the point of a new console? Upscaling and whatnot can be done and improved on current gen consoles. If were going to get new ones they should actually feel like next gen because honestly this gen has been quite unimpressive console wise and the best looking games such as horizon or tlou2 were also on ps4.

Yea, you're right, this might be the most useless console gen ever, and that probably isn't going to change. IMO, with the PS4 Pro, I think we learned that there isn't a huge material difference between sub-native 4K and 4K provided there is good upscaling. PS4 Pro used CBR which was great at the time but primitive compared to the algorithms today.

Like I said, people are buying a 4090 that costs $1600+ and turning on supersampling AND frame generation. So not just fake pixels but entire fake frames. I think it is kind of funny that PC gamers are now totally cool with sub-native and upscaling while console gamers are still demanding native.

Last edited:

vivftp

So it's more about getting the best experience within the ecosystem that does provide you the games you want, right? That's fair, it makes sense.

If the games that don't launch on PC day one right now were to one day do that (I assume you are referring to Sony's first party titles), would you change your mind? Or are you more interested in the console experience to be swayed?

Again, sorry for so many questions!

PC gaming will never hold any interest to me again.

lachesis

Gold Member
Different people need/want different things - so while I personally don't need it, I wouldn't mind a new machine. It's not like anyone is forcing one to buy.
I still haven't used my PS5 much at all unfortunately. I probably will get Stella Blade down the road on sale, and that may be my 1st PS5 exclusive game that's not PS4 cross gen since launch....

PeteBull

Gold Member
Yes, for GTA 6
Thats my take too, even if we didnt get pr0 patches for old games we will for sure get enhanced mode for gta6, and since its console only and will stay like that probably for a year/two ps5pr0 will be best place to play it- highest resolution, most stable frametimes/highest fps, and who knows, very likely we will get some additional features, maybe more robust rt or some other improvements.

The truth is by the time gta6 launches( realistically summer/holidays 2025, if no delays) base ps5 will be weak af compared to even midrange pc, so for any1 of us who doesnt wanna suffer playing gta6 or other console/playstation exclusives getting ps5pr0 is only reasonable solution.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yes, why do I have to pick between 60 FPS/4K/Ray tracing?

Being able to just answer "Yes" this generation is something that should be an option... for everyone else there's the PS5.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
you can buy a $1600 GPU for your PC and still have to pick.

I do, but sometimes I want to do it downstairs with my feet up.

Dragons Dogma is the only game can think of that has this lower than 60 FPS issue, but that's processor related not GPU.

Also the options on PS5 for ray tracing are like babies first ray tracing options for PC, I don't mind, but be nice to have as an option at 60 FPS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom