• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, in your opinion do we need PS5 Pro?

Is a PS5 Pro necessary?

• Total voters

simpatico

Gold Member
With the exciting new take on Wolverine coming soon, modern audiences are going to want to experience that on the PS5 Pro. It’s the only way to true appreciate how perfectly square they made Jean Grey’s jaw.

Yes, not because consoles NEED more power, but because there shouldn't be a big price difference, and then, why not.

When consoles came out the best PC you could get for 1000€ was a 3060 with a 3600x, nowadays it's not rare to find a 4070s and a 12400f for that price, meanwhile consoles didn't lower their price, actually these got their price increased.

Lower end technology was always the best value for their price, that's not the case anymore, so if console manufacturers can't get to cut the console's prices since these old GPU and CPU aren't lowering their costs, why not release a console with more modern components? The problem is that for some reason, if leaks are real, the PS5 Pro isn't getting a new CPU, when these components are the ones that have lowered their price the most in the last years, i still got an image from the end of 2020 with price comparisons for the 5800x and the cheapest one was like 470€, where the lowest price now is around 170€.

You just have to watch the prices announced for the future Xbox Series SKU's coming at the end of this year, these are laughable.

LordOfChaos

I still don't feel this generation being nearly tapped out, but those who want less sacrifices on current gen games (such as running RT and 60fps together instead of exclusively) can go ahead and get a Pro, doesn't bother me

Ceadeus

Gold Member
No, I don't see what little prettier graphic would add. Gaming does not need more powerful hardwares, it needs novelty, fun and memorable experiences. It's a bit what I think, right now many genre are flat, stale.

My vote is no, but I'm not a graphics whore. Hell I am still on 1080p on both my tv's and computer monitors.

Ask most here and it will be a different story. Shit some people have enough cash to make Jensen rich with buying 2k+ 4090s and dual 4k displays.
I guess if you are single and can afford it go for it, but damn, how would you explain that to your wife that you spent the vacation money on a $2000 graphics card?

To me it seems like 4k was rushed for making the tv, monitor and gpu companies more money.
We were still doing 30fps on 1080p on ps4, yet instead of going 1080p 60fps standard or 1440p 60fps we jumped right to 4x 1080p and added ray tracing on top.
My $450 (during covid) gtx 3060ti can't even do 1440p ray tracing without dlss.

It was too much too soon. The hardware was fine and a quality increase. The games being made still don't use it.
They use tons of storage though, but its just for 4k and textures. Even then , I see no reason why COD and others are 200+Gb

PS5pro may make 4k people happy, but its not enough to warrant an upgrade. With targeting 4k, we will never get the amazing jumps we seen going from ps2 -. ps3 - > ps4. Why because the budget is going to resolution.
PS3 initially tough-ted 1080p and walked it back to 720p. Maybe we have to do the same for games target 1440p/1080p not 4k, and upscale as needed.
Once that is done we can target locked 60fps and a pro console for people who want native 4k.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I want a new one if it makes the games play better. I'm planning to sell one of my PS5's and replace it with a pro. I don't know if it's needed but I want one.

Matsuchezz

Yes, I need one to shit on the Series X and take a mega dump on Series S. Yup, Out of spite I need one PS5 pro.

JK, I would like to have better Ray Tracing on PS5, I really don't care for more FPS. What HW is improved over PS5, Memory is faster and more Cores?

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IMG-0258.jpg

Not interested in buying one but i see why it exists

Esppiral

A pro console from either company is a waste of time, money and resources at this point of the generation plus at the price point they have to sell it the jump in war power will be laughable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A pro console from either company is a waste of time, money and resources at this point of the generation plus at the price point they have to sell it the jump in war power will be laughable.
You're not thinking outside the box.

This will serve the same purpose the PS4Pro served as a reconstruction/upscaling live testbed.

See below.
For them to experiment with PSSR and try to perfect that shit before PS6 rolls around

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Jesb

If I already owned a ps5 I wouldn’t buy one. I don’t own one so I’ll wait on the pro. But that depends on price too.

Mr.Phoenix

Yes. We need it. And as things stand, with every coming-gen we will always need a pro console to achieve what the OG console promised.

And (I am repeating myself here), its not even that the consoles are not powerful enough, its what the devs choose to use that power for.

As it stands, what devs are choosing to use the power for is to take shortcuts or brute force grossly unoptimized code.

When the PS6 comes along, the same shit will happen, the sooner people accept that devs would always take the shortest route to releasing their games, the better.

💯 % not needed. Are there any games other than unreleased MH Wilds that are even maxing out the consoles this gen yet? Made from scratch?

I used to think that yes... right now I dont know... Sony has to justify with some games. And gaas isn't it.
This, outside of 3rd party games, there is nothing really pushing it. 4k is like I said not feasible with advanced graphics, let alone ray tracing. Ps5 is not a 1500-2k gpu.

Nope, especially considering the limitations around the CPU. There's a chance I will get one as potentially the last natively compatible system with my huge PS4 collection.

Only if you want the jump from PS5 to PS6 to be as small as the jump from PS4 pro to PS5.

The system is not the issue. The supply of games is. Which can't be changed with a PS5 Pro.
yep...

you realize that we've actually hit a point where we may have more 'versions' of a sony console over it's lifetime (2) than games from some of sony's own developers over that lifetime (1)?...

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not really, but once i know how they are planning to improve existing games i might consider buying it.

Mownoc

We don't need one but I'll gladly buy one. Some people don't want to be stuck on the same power for 8 years.

Hudo

yep...

you realize that we've actually hit a point where we may have more 'versions' of a sony console over it's lifetime (2) than games from some of sony's own developers over that lifetime (1)?...
Yeah. It's actually impressive how well the PS5 is selling considering that Sony's first-party lineup and scheduling is the weakest it has ever been (in my opinion). That's really something Hulst and the other dude have to fix. Relying on third-party exclusives when third-parties are (rightfully) trying to maximize profits, because big-ass games are expensive to make, is a weird strategy, to put it mildly.

fallingdove

Better optimisation will go a long way even on base consoles.

So we need devs who can do that.

I think we need a Series S model that will force devs to learn proper optimisation.

For a pro model, its a no from me.
I think its important for devs to have a half step toward next gen to begin refining their processes and tool sets.

Consider that Sony are likely training developers so that they are ready to take advantage of what the PS6 is capable of. They also have great relationships with developers and are probably incorporating their feedback into the PS5 pro architecture to minimize incremental development investments.

Optimization is great but I feel like you enter a Nintendo-like state when you are constantly optimizing for weak hardware linstead of learning how to develop with future games in mind — one of the reasons Nintendo games look so dated; but hey they’ve really mastered bloom implementation and know sub-hd resolutions like the backs of their hands.

Last edited:

Lilseb561

Neo Member
We don't need a Pro console but it's fine as an option for people that want it. The people who work on the console have nothing to do with the people making the games.

Twice more than we needed the PS4 Pro. Back then games were running at 1080p 30fps with good image quality and the pro was for the 10% people who had 4K TVs. Nowadays games are running at 1080p 60fps with bad image quality and 90% of people are playing on 4K TVs.

Knightime_X

If Ps5 pro is an actual thing, i'm skipping ps6 and just waiting for ps6 pro.
Dumb to buy the same console TWICE per generation.

xrnzaaas

Yes and no...
- No because the base model doesn't struggle so much as when PS4 did when Pro launched (remember how it barely ran games like Control or XCOM2). Plus consoles are supposed to be relatively cheap.
- Yes because there's a going to be a big problem running UE5 games and generally running games in 1440p/4K.

I think it depends on what you expect from the console, are you willing to upgrade and how much money would you spend on the Pro model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom