• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia/Werewolf |OT| A forum game of secrets and treachery - sign up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Hagi

#notallfriends

rs_500x277-141120114857-tumblr_inline_mnsjjqMBCf1qz4rgp.gif

CzarTim

Friends who keep detailed diaries about each other of when they log in and where they post then use that information to fill pie charts
BTW putting up cameras in my apartment and allowing any mafia player to watch me 24/7 for as low as $20 a month after a $1 free trial

Sorian

Banned
Of course people want to join the Cthulhu thread. What's not to like about our idyllic island commune where civility and rational discourse reign? Let me introduce you to Sorian, a shy cohabitant who's managed to overcome his crippling social anxiety issues and now makes his opinions known on occasion, or Blarg, the island elder that we trust unconditionally and go to in times of need.

<3

It's true, before Gafia, I never posted anywhere at all.

El Topo

Hopefully our day 2 will
not
be just as crazy as the dangapapa game.

I wouldn't call it so much crazy as I'd call it unfortunate. A potentially interesting ability that sort of kills off all other discussion for day. Crazy would be the day Blarg got lynched in the Star Wars thread, or maybe the day from the original game where I accused RobotNinjaHornets of being mafia.
But yeah, I really hope we'll have a slower (and more successful) second day.

Burbeting

Banned
Three IRL days long night-phase feels really weird to me, all of my previous games had 4-irl-days for the day-phase, but night had only one irl day.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think we could separate our games by "cuh-razy" and "vanilla" then signups can choose one or the other.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Role Madness games at all. They're very difficult to balance and people stop playing mafia because days are pointless when everything is decided at night. Each to their own, though.

Burbeting

Banned
Do other players share this opinion? I was going to Role Madness for my Gravity Falls game, but I pulled back thinking people wouldn't like it.

Role Madness can work, but it needs very carefully balanced gameboard really. Too strong powers for either sides can really destroy the balance of the game...

Sorian

Banned
Do other players share this opinion? I was going to Role Madness for my Gravity Falls game, but I pulled back thinking people wouldn't like it.

Sounds like it needs very precise and perfectly tuned balancing to stay fun.. Also I could see Crab's point that it might make days seem worthless since everything occurs during night.

Makai

I don't like Role Madness games at all. They're very difficult to balance and people stop playing mafia because days are pointless when everything is decided at night. Each to their own, though.
You can give people daytime abilities ;)

RetroMG

Role Madness can work, but it needs very carefully balanced gameboard really. Too strong powers for either sides can really destroy the balance of the game...

Fair point. I don't think I have many overpowered roles, but I'll save further discussion for later.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of role madness either. I think they CAN be fun, but they require a ton of balancing. I much prefer relatively traditional games with minor twists, like Kark's map for Animal Crossing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You can give people daytime abilities ;)

So, when I say "day" I don't literally mean the day phase, I mean more the process of voting. Nobody bothers looking for scumreads because given everyone has a role, everyone has a reason to be acting abnormally. Town PRs and scum can actually be surprisingly difficult to tell apart, so when all of a game is one or the other, everyone looks like scum, and it just becomes ability-use showdown.

I actually really enjoy pure mafia - no power roles at all, just two mafia and eleven town.

Burbeting

Banned
So, when I say "day" I don't literally mean the day phase, I mean more the process of voting. Nobody bothers looking for scumreads because given everyone has a role, everyone has a reason to be acting abnormally. Town PRs and scum can actually be surprisingly difficult to tell apart, so when all of a game is one or the other, everyone looks like scum, and it just becomes ability-use showdown.

I actually really enjoy pure mafia - no power roles at all, just two mafia and eleven town.

Yeah, normal mafia is really cool too, but I think if there is lot of players (like in the games going on now), you can have some power roles at least :).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, normal mafia is really cool too, but I think if there is lot of players (like in the games going on now), you can have some power roles at least :).

yes. I really like Open games for that reason - where all the roles in the game are known before-hand. It puts a constraint on how random PRs can get.

SalvaPot

I like the randomness far more than a regular game, mostly because I think it gives motivation to people to play until the end and be more careful about their moves.

Burbeting

Banned
yes. I really like Open games for that reason - where all the roles in the game are known before-hand. It puts a constraint on how random PRs can get.

Well, 99% of games I have played online were just like you said. Secret list games like in gaf are a new thing for me.

Makai

My favorite part is the mystery and surprise of power roles. I like Haly's idea of splitting into two leagues.

P.S. Mafia cannot night kill or communicate with each other privately in the original ruleset. Their only advantage is they know who each other are at the start. What do you think of that ruleset?

The Star Wars one is a good one to read: there's a good amount of "what not to do" while still making a pleasant experience.

WELL EXCUUUUUSE MEEEE PINCERS

IF IT HAD WORKED YOU'D ALL BE DOING IT, THEN I WOULD BE CRAB

ALL DAY EVERY DAY 24/7 MAFIA-CLAIMING, TRY IT, IT'S LIKE THERAPY

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite part is the mystery and surprise of power roles. I like Haly's idea of splitting into two leagues.

P.S. Mafia cannot night kill or communicate with each other privately in the original ruleset. Their only advantage is they know who each other are at the start. What do you think of that ruleset?

Mafia have always been able to (partially) communicate, even in the very earliest version of the game - I have a copy of the very first ruleset somewhere. However, given it was a real life game and played face to face in the same room, the communication was limited to what you can do silently - so nodding, shaking heads, pointing at other players and so on. You're right it makes things interesting, but in internet mafia I find it impractical because town obviously gets a huge more amount of discussion time compared to face-to-face mafia and mafia ends up being at a real disadvantage if they don't have a conversational equalizer.

Stopping mafia communicating during the day is totally legit, though. On a lot of sites, that's the norm. We could do that here quite easily.

Hey Crab... remember when I called you Pincers... and said therapy...

...I like, totally wasn't thinking... you know how it is...

...Crab... I have IOU's... I can give them to you... don't hurt me yo...

Crab...

Flame_AC

Personally, all the games I've played have always had Mafia communication during the day. It lets the mafia stay as one united force instead of splintering off or making mistakes that the others have to compensate for.

Top Bottom