• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Diablo 2

TheExodu5

Banned
I am starting a special Diablo 2 playthrough with some friends, and I figured I might extend the invitation to GAF.

-----

IRC

Server: GameSurge (irc.gamesurge.net)
Channel: #gaf_d2
Join the Channel

We will be using IRC to better coordinate our activities. Either join using the link above, or use your favorite IRC client.

-----

Rules

- You must make a character from scratch.
- You can only play with other people that are taking part of this playthrough (though you can play solo as well)
- No outside trist runs, baal runs, etc... If you
- No outside trading. All of the loot will only be earned and traded amongst ourselves.
- Agree amongst yourselves how you want to handle loot. Try to be courteous.

-----

Details

We will be playing on:
Ladder - US EAST

Player List:GAF username - Account Name - class
TheExodu5 - TheExodu5 - Wind Druid
Goldmund - Goldmund - Zealadin
cwmartin - cwmartin
gijoccin - Whattattattadoo - zealot
iamblades - iamblades - barbarian
Freakinchair - freakinchair - Summoning Druid
Saige – LargeAxe - Barbarian
CrunchyFrog - CrunchyFrog09 - meteorb sorc
JakOfTheShadows - JakOfTheDead - Fishymancer
Spirit_of_Jazz - Spirit_of_Jazz - Bowazon
Human_Shield - Human_ShieldX - Barbarian
CCBFAN - CCBFan - lightning sorc
Quagm1r3 - ItzaTrapper - Trapsin
Saige - saige121 -
dragonflys545 - fireflys545 - Orb Sorc
Coopolon - Coopolon - summoning necromancer
Akitasha - dZ_Zb - Orb Sorc
Nekofrog - Nekofrog - Hammerdin
Furio53 - Furioess - Sorceress
AlimNassor - VictorSavage - paladin
KKRT00 - KKRT - assasin
Syril - Syril - Martial Arts ASsassin
jasonng - jasonng - Trap assassin
Jinko - Jinko - Necromancer
Furio53 - Furio53 - sorceress
Razorskin - Razorskin - Paladin
Mazre - Mazre - Amazon
The Frankman - The_Frankman - Paladin
GiJocin - gijoccin - Meteorb Sorc
Maccas - Maccas - Sorceress
Immortal_Daemon - Immortal_Daemon - Frenzy Barbarian
Infinity - Anomoly - Necromancer
DreamMachine - Devanous - Zealot
Dresden - tabascopig - summon druid

If you intend to play, please post your D2 account name (and class/spec if you wish).

-----

Battle.net

To play with other participants, it is highly recommended that you add the above players to your friend's list.

To add a friend, type:
/f a <account name>

To view the status of your friends, type:
/f l

To send a broadcast to all of your friends, type:
/f m <message>

If someone gave their character name for the player list above instead of their account name, you can find out their account name by typing:
/whois <character name>

-----

Tips

- You can respec 3 times, once for each difficulty. After you complete the Den of Evil, Akara will allow you to refund all stat and skill points.

- Stat distribution: while there are variations, the general rule of thumb is to get just enough str/dex for the gear you want to use, and dump everything else into vitality.

- Skill distribution: look at a skill tree and see which skills synergize (give each other bonuses) together. Your build should focus around those skills. Don't worry about it too much, since you'll have one respec per difficulty if you regret your choice.

- Insight is a very useful runeword to get once you get an act 2 mercenary. It is created using a 4 socket polearm with Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol. This will give you lots and lots of mana regen. This is a must have for casters. You should be able to farm these runes from The Countess.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
How bad is the lag on US servers for a european?

I can't imagine it being much of a problem unless you're doing PvP.

MedIC86 said:
oh dont do this to me, i recently had my account wiped with my uber javazon :(

Good thing we're starting from scratch. :)

bengraven

I've never played with a group. Would it be a pain the ass to coordinate times? What if everyone surpasses your level and you're like lvl 5 to their 20 and you can't level up anymore due to no one being at your level when you want to play?

TheExodu5

Banned
bengraven said:
I've never played with a group. Would it be a pain the ass to coordinate times? What if everyone surpasses your level and you're like lvl 5 to their 20 and you can't level up anymore due to no one being at your level when you want to play?

Hopefully we get enough people that it won't be much of a worry.

I mean, worst case, you can still play solo and talk about it here, and benefit from trades. Eventually we'll all be stuck in Hell anyways. :)

Higher levels can also play with you as well...nothing stopping that.

bengraven

TheExodu5 said:
Hopefully we get enough people that it won't be much of a worry.

I mean, worst case, you can still play solo and talk about it here, and benefit from trades. Eventually we'll all be stuck in Hell anyways. :)

True enough! I'm re-installing now.

No clue what build I'll go with, but I'll likely be an assassin again.

Goldmund

I have a question. Will the drops be fairly distributed or is it "I clicked first, it's mine", when we're playing together?

TheExodu5

Banned
Goldmund said:
I have a question. Will the drops be fairly distributed or is it "I clicked first, it's mine", when we're playing together?

Hopefully people playing together can agree to those terms. If there is an Amazon and a Sorceress playing and a unique staff drops, I'd hope the Amazon can be kind enough to give it to the Sorcereress. Otherwise, I imagine many of us will end up doing some solo boss runs down the line anyways, which is where most of the good unique gear will come from.

animlboogy said:
When do you want to start this? I would LOVE this. I haven't played nearly as much Diablo 2 as I should have.

Any time. You can start withy some people right now if you wanted to. You could also start solo if you want.

I started my character last night, and he's level 10. I won't be playing until later this evening (7PM EST).

Inkwell

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Maybe I'll do this. I started a Pally a week or two ago and only got to about level 3.

Never played it legit, always had runs, would like to take it slow and play. Question: whats the fastest/cheapest way to buy and download? I see direct2drive doesn't have it.

TheExodu5

Banned
bengraven said:
True enough! I'm re-installing now.

No clue what build I'll go with, but I'll likely be an assassin again.

Also: respecing is in the game now. You get one respec for each Den of Evil quest you do (so 3 respecs total).

For my wind druid, this means I'm just starting off as a fire elemental druid, and will respec once I hit level 30 (and get Hurricane).

BurningNad

I'm so in. I actually started a new character a couple weeks ago but stopped due to not having anyone who I know to play with. I'll post my character name when I get home.

Edit: Likely to go with a summonancer or whatever they're called these days.

TheExodu5

Banned
jeremy70583 said:
Never played it legit, always had runs, would like to take it slow and play. Question: whats the fastest/cheapest way to buy and download? I see direct2drive doesn't have it.

There are a few key resellers that have the game for cheap. You can just get the key from them and register it to your b.net account.

They're not exactly licensed resellers, but I haven't had any issues with my keys. YMMV.

Syril

Oh man, this is really tempting. I've only done an actual from scratch playthrough of this once in the last five years or so.

Goldmund said:

Seconded. Personally, I could go without a loot free-for-all.

iamblades

jeremy70583 said:

Only way to get it DD is off battle.net, but you can get any retail code and activate it on your battle.net account and download it. There are places you can just buy a cd key that they email to you if you don't want to go retail.

TheExodu5 said:
There are a few key resellers that have the game for cheap. You can just get the key from them and register it to your b.net account.

They're not exactly licensed resellers, but I haven't had any issues with my keys. YMMV.

do you know of any legit seller's? don't want to just pick one randomly from the net and have to wait forever to get the CD key

TheExodu5

Banned
jeremy70583 said:
do you know of any legit seller's? don't want to just pick one randomly from the net and have to wait forever to get the CD key

I got mine of a site called mmo1st.com for $9.

They're not legitimate resellers, but the keys are legit and I haven't had any issues with mine.

The only legit DD seller would be Batte.net itself. I think Blizzard charges $30 for it, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
Bah what the hell. It'll also get me off my ass to finally buy the expansion. Any of you use teamspeak?

I own a vent server. We could use that if you guys are interested. I'll post the info tonight.

garath

I tried installing it once and the graphics almost killed me. It was some really low resolution and no widescreen. Any tips for that? Or is it just a grin and bear it situation?

I've since lost my CDs but I wouldn't be adverse to buying the digital copy off battle.net

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
is there a steam like service that has diablo 2?

i've still never played it even though i've played most of the shit that's like it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ah, TheExodu5 how I wish I could join you... a pity you chose the wrong timing for D2 :(

Goldmund

TheExodu5 said:
Hopefully people playing together can agree to those terms. If there is an Amazon and a Sorceress playing and a unique staff drops, I'd hope the Amazon can be kind enough to give it to the Sorcereress. Otherwise, I imagine many of us will end up doing some solo boss runs down the line anyways, which is where most of the good unique gear will come from.

[...]
I'm glad we're on the same page.

Goldmund - Goldmund (Zealadin)

EDIT: Maybe I'll change to Smite, if someone else insists on using Zeal.

GiJoccin

ooo i just started a diablo 2 playthrough on ladder useast - my friend and i got our chars to act 3 and monday we're going to have a long diablo 2 session.

gijoccin: Whattattattadoo (zealot)

I bought Diablo II a couple summers ago and I didn't really "get" how to play it. I didn't make it very far. My fault really. That said I am looking forward to Diablo III and hopefully I'll be a little better at it. Haha.

ascii42

Sounds awesome, but I just started a game about a week ago and have played and traded loot with someone else. I think my sorceress is a level 6 or 7.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gravijah said:
When will you be starting this playthrough, anyway?

Any time. You can start on your own, or coordinate with other players in here. I'll be playing at around 7PM EST if anyone wants to join then.

Anyways, I suggest people add each other to their friends list.

In chat, just type "/f a <charactername>" to add someone to your friend's list. "/f l" will list your friends and their status. "/f m <message>" will broadcast a message to all your friends.

cwmartin

Are we doing any group composition or just whatever we want to? I can always be a support pally or sorc/necro if we need one.

iamblades

If any of you guys run across some decent 1h axes, particularly if they have life and mana leech on them, could you hang on to them for me?

I'll do likewise if you let me know what you will be needing..

TheExodu5

Banned
cwmartin said:
Are we doing any group composition or just whatever we want to? I can always be a support pally or sorc/necro if we need one.

Just whatever you want. Group composition in Diablo really isn't all that important (well, unless you have 8 fire sorcs running together or something).

iamblades said:
If any of you guys run across some decent 1h axes, particularly if they have life and mana leech on them, could you hang on to them for me?

I'll do likewise if you let me know what you will be needing..

Sure thing.

Anyways, general suggestion to anyone here: get a mercenary from Act 2. Get a 4 socket polearm and put in the following runeword (Insight: Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol). Those runes should all be farmable off The Countess, I think. Say goodbye to your mana problems after that.

GiJoccin

Goldmund said:
I'm glad we're on the same page.

Goldmund - Goldmund (Zealadin)

EDIT: Maybe I'll change to Smite, if someone else insists on using Zeal.

1.13 we can respecc now, no worries, especially this early on.

i'm not toooo sure how much i'll be able to play, so i doubt we'll conflict

i've just never made a zealadin, so i wanted to give it a shot

Top Bottom