• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Diablo 2

Quagm1r3

Count me in. I made a hard core sorceress a few days ago and it died yesterday when I was trying to solo Duriel. Seems like a good time to start over :)

voady said:
I hope you'll do the same thing with diablo 3 as soon as it releases :D

When Diablo III launches I'm expecting a GAF guild with hundreds of people on the list
most of which will vanish mysteriously within a week like all GAF guilds

Fugu

When Diablo 3 comes out I intend to play it solid until the doctor says I can't anymore.

I'll be playing Diablo 2 once I get back from lunch, so expect a whisper, people currently playing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
When Diablo III launches I'm expecting a GAF guild with hundreds of people on the list
Heh. Well, I think D3 had a chance. SC2 has a very solid community, as does HoN. As long as D3 comes with BNet channels, I think the D3 community will stay strong.

IMACOMPUTA

I'm installing right now.
It's been SO long since I've played.. I hardly remember anything.
Will edit post when I have my username etc.

V_Arnold

I will be here with D3, mark my words. And I will grind the fucking hell out of it. All of it. With all classes. *takes the pills*

Fugu

TheExodu5 said:
Heh. Well, I think D3 had a chance. SC2 has a very solid community, as does HoN. As long as D3 comes with BNet channels, I think the D3 community will stay strong.
Four players and weird "community" features are a strong impediment to Diablo 3 having the staying power that Diablo 2 does.

garath

Hmm. No cheap way to get this huh. $30 for the battlechest is the best I can find without resorting to sketchy sites.

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:
I'd be interested in playing, I played only a bit of #2 a long time ago. I could use a faq in op.

I'll try including some helpful tips in the OP. Other than that though, character guides are going to be very build/gear dependent. Many FAQs are mostly outdated, as the game has changed a lot since release.

Gravijah

Unknown Soldier said:

I need to build a new rig so I can put thousands and thousands of hours into Diablo III like I did Diablo II.

Fugu

Coldsnap said:
I'd be interested in playing, I played only a bit of #2 a long time ago. I could use a faq in op.
You tell me what class you want to play and I'll tell you what to do. :p

I'll go. I couldn't get into DIablo 2 because nobody wanted to play.

Gunna be a barbarian or Paladin which is better? What should my stats skills be?

V_Arnold

Fugu said:
Four players and weird "community" features are a strong impediment to Diablo 3 having the staying power that Diablo 2 does.

What? o_O No, not really. D3 is doubted, we get it, SC2 was doubted aswell. Look how THAT turned out.

Fugu

AlimNassor said:
I'll go. I couldn't get into DIablo 2 because nobody wanted to play.

Gunna be a barbarian or Paladin which is better? What should my stats skills be?
Paladins are the most broken broke class that ever broke. They are beyond easy to play and even easier to build. Barbarians are fairly unconventional in the current Diablo 2 landscape outside of as a support role for BO but they still have many options in PvE; just keep in mind that a barbarian will likely never be the largest damage dealer in the group.

Stats are sort of build-specific; generally you want enough strength and dex for your gear and the rest in vit with as few points in energy as you can manage. The only time that this is not true is if you want max block (IE you intend to use a shield; I would recommend this for hardcore), in which case you also need to put a variable amount of points into dexterity (the amount varies depending on the %block on the shield and your level, but it is always a large number).

V_Arnold said:
What? o_O No, not really. D3 is doubted, we get it, SC2 was doubted aswell. Look how THAT turned out.
How is it not? The four player maximum inherently and fundamentally caps the amount of players you can interact with at once.

EDIT: I don't doubt that it will have staying power, but it's impossible for it to have the staying power that Diablo 2 does (going on eleven years this July) without basically every possible advantage on its side. Diablo 2 strongly encouraged playing in as large of a group as possible in many ways and Diablo 3 doesn't look to be the same. Diablo 3 has seemingly successfully emulated the strong player-based economy idea of Diablo 2 (hopefully they can prevent dupes from fucking it up) and if the top-end is as rare in Diablo 3 as it is in Diablo 2 then that'll go a long way, but it seems less and less likely that you will need a group for maximum effectiveness in Diablo 3.

Kalnos

Banned
V_Arnold said:

It turned out to be a game with great polish, good 1v1, and a popular 1v1 scene. That's great if you want any of those things. At the same time it had a shit single-player, shit custom game system design, and is a completely broken team game all on an inferior Battle.net.

I can see how people really like SC2, but I prefer WC3 at this point. I'm remaining indifferent on Diablo 3 until I get to try it. Still, at least Torchlight/Grim Dawn also exist!
3AQmK.gif

God damnit you just ruined my Baldur's 2 and Jagged Alliance run throughs... At least if the lag isn't too bad for people in the EU. Will hunt down my disks and install in a minute, was thinking of playing the game again pre 3 anyway.

V_Arnold

Fugu, let me be very, very clear on this one. Diablo 2 can and is often times nothing more than a clusterfest when played by a lot of players, especially when it comes to assholes and/or loot.

Blizzard has TREMENDOUS party experience with WoW (I know, people can now howl at the moon for years just because I even mentioned it :D), and if they are designing a game for 4 players, that does not even the slightest will mean that it has less staying power.

4 player is a good size anyway. It means you need 3 friends to play coop with, not 7+, where sometimes a bad player will slip in. More "less against the wild" feeling, more party-ness, less "we are massacring something, because drops are dropped and blood is everywhere" crazyness.

If D2 and D3 would be the exact same game, with D3 offering less maximum players, I would understand your stance. But in reality, they are different games.

Edit:
Also, this reminds me of WoW's 25 man vs 10 man raiding. Guess what: usually people came to like 10-man raiding aswell, because it allowed less slackers, slackers and bad players became obvious after a few tries, and there was no one left but those who actually knew what to do. It saved lesser guilds.

Well, after digging through all my crap I was unable to find my d2 discs or keys. I bought the game waaaay before I started copying down all my serials in one place. A shame to miss out on the awesomeness of being able to download the client just having those numbers, but oh well.

Someone should roll a poison necro. Niche? Maybe, but man is act 4 fun just poison nova'ing down packs of mobs and giggling.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Never played this before but I do own it, maybe its time to finally give it a whirl with you fine folks!

Good timing! I just started a new USEast Ladder account/character on Saturday. I made it up to Druiel, died once, and then stopped playing for the night. Need to grind a level or two to get decreptify and then I will face him again. I will be spending my time on this and Magic 2012. If you add me on Steam (JakOfTheShadows) you can see when I hop in game.

JakOfTheShadows - JakOfTheShadows (Fishymancer)

EDIT: Had the character name rather than the account name. I have updated it now.

Just to clarify, people need to be sure to post ACCOUNT names in order to add to friends lists. And Exodu5 do you have the address for the vent server? Be sure to put it in tags to hide it from the general public. (gaffers will then just need to quote the post to see it)

coopolon

Alright, I'm game. But I haven't played this game since 2003 and don't remember hardly anything, so sorry to everyone for the future times I screw you up. I'll DL while researching what kind of character I want to create.

TheExodu5

Banned
OP has been updated. New format. Added some tips for new players. If you have any other useful general tips to contribute, feel free.

If you can find some links to updated build guides, that would be helpful. I haven't played D2 in some years now and have no idea what builds are good now. With the difficulty of Hell dramatically ramped up over the years a good set of build guides will be instrumental to us feasibly making our way through Hell.

USEast - UnknownSoldier (no character yet)

Does anybody know how to make the Glide wrapper work in Win7-64?

Fugu

V_Arnold said:
Fugu, let me be very, very clear on this one. Diablo 2 can and is often times nothing more than a clusterfest when played by a lot of players, especially when it comes to assholes and/or loot.

I'm probably being presumptuous with this but if I had to estimate, I've got more experience playing Diablo 2 than... well, probably anyone in this thread and probably anyone you know, too. I've been playing since the game launched and I've played it in many different styles and with many different groups. You can tell me that Diablo is a clusterfest when played with eight players, but I know that it's not. Bashiok has said many times that Diablo 2 is a mess when played with eight players, but I know that it's not. The most enjoyable times I've had playing Diablo 2 have been in eight player games, with no exception.

Blizzard has TREMENDOUS party experience with WoW (I know, people can now howl at the moon for years just because I even mentioned it :D), and if they are designing a game for 4 players, that does not even the slightest will mean that it has less staying power.

4 player is a good size anyway. It means you need 3 friends to play coop with, not 7+, where sometimes a bad player will slip in. More "less against the wild" feeling, more party-ness, less "we are massacring something, because drops are dropped and blood is everywhere" crazyness.
Oh, but it does for me. See, I have more than three friends who regularly play games like this. We stopped playing PSO explicitly because if there were five of us on, one person would be playing by themselves. Because Diablo 2 scales, we can play with however many or little players that we have, and that's great. And if we want to play with less, we can. Blizzard is removing the option to play with more players; how is this in any way desirable? Are they saying that it's impossible for them to balance the game for eight players? If so, what is so fundamentally different about Diablo 3 that makes a scaling system similar to Diablo 2's so intrinsicially impossible to implement?

Edit:
Also, this reminds me of WoW's 25 man vs 10 man raiding. Guess what: usually people came to like 10-man raiding aswell, because it allowed less slackers, slackers and bad players became obvious after a few tries, and there was no one left but those who actually knew what to do. It saved lesser guilds.
I dispute that but it's hardly relevant; The Diablo series is a completely different beast.

I'm going to host a game on USEast Hardcore Ladder. If you are playing Hardcore, come join me. Game name is me22/22. There are no completed quests so people of all levels are welcome.

Fugu

coopolon said:
Reading up on builds. Remembering why I always get intimidated when thinking about playing this game in recent years.
Skill builds in Diablo 2 are now very simple. Most of them consist of picking a skill, maxing that skill, and maxing all of its synergies. Really, the only place you can go wrong now is picking a skill to synergize that is not viable.

coopolon

Fugu said:
Skill builds in Diablo 2 are now very simple. Most of them consist of picking a skill, maxing that skill, and maxing all of its synergies. Really, the only place you can go wrong now is picking a skill to synergize that is not viable.

So it's intuitive by just reading through the skill trees? No need to faq?

Haha, I actually forgot the battle chest comes with a guide, wonder what's in there.

I'm actually getting kind of excited. Think I'm going to dig up my CRT from my storage room to get the true early 2000s dorm room experience.

Fugu said:
Paladins are the most broken broke class that ever broke. They are beyond easy to play and even easier to build. Barbarians are fairly unconventional in the current Diablo 2 landscape outside of as a support role for BO but they still have many options in PvE; just keep in mind that a barbarian will likely never be the largest damage dealer in the group.

Stats are sort of build-specific; generally you want enough strength and dex for your gear and the rest in vit with as few points in energy as you can manage. The only time that this is not true is if you want max block (IE you intend to use a shield; I would recommend this for hardcore), in which case you also need to put a variable amount of points into dexterity (the amount varies depending on the %block on the shield and your level, but it is always a large number).

Alrite, well is there a site that helps out a newb? last time I played I royally screwed my build up. Like what kind of equips i will need, the skills i should max.

Fugu

AlimNassor said:
Alrite, well is there a site that helps out a newb? last time I played I royally screwed my build up. Like what kind of equips i will need, the skills i should max.
There are resources, the problem is that a lot of them are a) out-of-date and b) assume that you have more trading leverage than you probably do. Don't worry too much about it; just feel your way through the game for awhile and once you get a solid footing on what's what you can just use a skill reset and fix your build.

Okay, I've gotten the game to work with Sven's Glide wrapper in Win7-64. First, download the wrapper and put it in the D2 directory. Run the glide-init.exe tool and set it up, on any modern machine you can activate and max everything really. Since D2 is fundamentally a sprite-based experience, I don't think enabling supersampling will do a whole lot. I didn't notice any difference, but I set max fps to 100 and it's always locked to that so whatever. If you remove the max fps limit you can get comical 300 fps. To prevent the game from trying to run at an impossibly low resolution that most modern displays don't support, make sure to enable Keep desktop composition in the Renderer pane, which maintains the desktop resolution. Anyways, then run d2vidtst.exe and choose 3dfx Glide. Now right-click on Diablo II.exe and go to Compatibility tab. You can leave OS compatibility alone, but you'll need to Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition. If you are using a custom font size for the Windows UI you'll need to disable font scaling blah blah as well. Now you can launch D2 and enjoy a full emulated 3dfx Glide experience!

Is anybody starting a game now? If not I will.

coopolon

Unknown Soldier said:
Okay, I've gotten the game to work with Sven's Glide wrapper in Win7-64. First, download the wrapper and put it in the D2 directory. Run the glide-init.exe tool and set it up, on any modern machine you can activate and max everything really. Since D2 is fundamentally a sprite-based experience, I don't think enabling supersampling will do a whole lot. I didn't notice any difference, but I set max fps to 100 and it's always locked to that so whatever. If you remove the max fps limit you can get comical 300 fps. To prevent the game from trying to run at an impossibly low resolution that most modern displays don't support, make sure to enable Keep desktop composition in the Renderer pane, which maintains the desktop resolution. Anyways, then run d2vidtst.exe and choose 3dfx Glide. Now right-click on Diablo II.exe and go to Compatibility tab. You can leave OS compatibility alone, but you'll need to Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition. If you are using a custom font size for the Windows UI you'll need to disable font scaling blah blah as well. Now you can launch D2 and enjoy a full emulated 3dfx Glide experience!

Is anybody starting a game now? If not I will.

What is the advantage to using this? Is 3dfx that important to getting it to look good?

coopolon said:
What is the advantage to using this? Is 3dfx that important to getting it to look good?

The Direct3D mode of the D2 game client is famously bad compared to the 3dfx Glide mode. Back in the 20th century during D2's development, 3dfx cards were still king of the PC gaming world and D2 was made to work with 3dfx only, they hacked on the D3D mode later on because D2's development dragged on so long that 3dfx had begun its death spiral during the development process of that game. Today there's no reason to use the D3D mode, any modern machine is thousands of times more powerful than the machines of those days and Glide emulation is trivial to perform at super high speeds.

Fugu said:
I just started a game on hardcore (me22/22). Not even at Stony Field.

I don't wanna play Hardcore...

Top Bottom