• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF / Playstation 3 / Call of Duty 4 Realism Unit

calder

captscience said:
Sounds like fun. I'd love to join.
I think I'll be able to play the role of lowly private quite well.

PSN: Captscience
If we're striving for "realism" though shouldn't you be a captain? ;) Although maybe saying "Captain Captscience" would be just as confusing.

If need be I volunteer to role-play as the twitchy, hyper-competitive corporal whose bravado and macho posturing hide a frightened combat rookie. Then in the first firefight I lose it and run off weeping and soiling myself. We'll just improv it after that.

I am so excited for COD4 it's sick:D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
calder said:
If need be I volunteer to role-play as the twitchy, hyper-competitive corporal whose bravado and macho posturing hide a frightened combat rookie. Then in the first firefight I lose it and run off weeping and soiling myself. We'll just improv it after that.

LOL :lol oh man, people are looking askance in my direction here at work I laughed so loud at that, bravo good sir!

I'm getting more and more hyped for CoD4 as well, and this realism thing sounds really awesome. I hope we have enough peeps to make it work on a regular basis.

I'd like to volunteer to be the scared private who fills his bloused pantaloons at the sound of a phone book falling on the floor of the barracks, but who ends up being an unlikely hero after jumping on a grenade (that he accidentally pulled the pin to when fumbling for his crotch-itch ointment).

calder said:
If we're striving for "realism" though shouldn't you be a captain? ;) Although maybe saying "Captain Captscience" would be just as confusing.

I am so excited for COD4 it's sick:D

Ha! Then I can be the incompetent leader cowering in the back, lost in the fog of war barking out contradictory commands that ultimately results in my demise in the form of a mercy team kill.

Two more weeks until release. I highly suggest anyone wanting to be in the unit get a headset by that time. FYI if you are planning on getting the Playstation EYE and don't have a headset yet, the EYE will also function as a microphone for games.

Zeke

FYI I won't have the game until after or on the 15th hopefully I'll have it before the 17th. Really shooting for the 15 tho. I do have head set so I'm ok on that front. PSN Tulip_Sniper

satori

Lock and load I am ready to go. I will be getting this for the PC and PS3, and let me add, I can't fukin wait!

RavenFox

Banned
Blind o pal this sounds awesome. I really think it would work. Ive done this to some extent in BF2. Time is my only problem but I would definitely like to take a part in this.

RavenFox said:
Blind o pal this sounds awesome.
That's what I am hoping. It has always been a blast when I've done this on PC using realism mods. I am very thankful that Infinity Ward added a realism mode to allow us console players the same fun.

steve

Banned
blindrocket said:
Two more weeks until release. I highly suggest anyone wanting to be in the unit get a headset by that time. FYI if you are planning on getting the Playstation EYE and don't have a headset yet, the EYE will also function as a microphone for games.
I have the headset from Warhawk, but I'll be the first to say that the sound quality out of it is piss poor compared to what I was used to on the PS2 with my Logitech headset on SOCOM.

I'm not ready to completely write off this headset yet though, I'm hoping it's Warhawk's fault the sound quality is so craptastic.

Has anyone tried it on another game? On Warhawk, not only can I barely hear people, it's all fuzzy and garbled the majority of the time.

Well recruits, we have less than one week before we have to ship out for basic! :D
As you have probably seen in the threads in the Gaming forum the PS3 version has shaped up rather nicely and I think we will all enjoy playing this great game on our platform of choice. Infinity Ward has done a stellar job and has given us what seem to be a very competent online system and a built-in realism mode.

And again I urge everyone to have some way of communicating by voice chat in the game. You need either a USB or Bluetooth headset or the Playstation Eye. This really is a must because a realism unit is based around teamwork and you need to be able to communicate with the team.

I have not set something up like this for consoles before, as I have stated my previous Call of Duty experience is from the PC so I would welcome suggestions on how to get this to run efficiently. Depending on interest, we may have too many members for only one team and will need to make a second team. If so we will need a couple of team leaders. We may play a few skirmishes and get to see the play style of everyone and decide what roles people should fill afterwards and perhaps take a vote on the team leaders.

Safe Bet

Banned
Its been a long time since I've been addicted to an online game...

Perhaps getting out of the respawn/die/respawn cycle is what I need.

I'll be on Day One.

steve

Banned
blindrocket said:
Well recruits, we have less than one week before we have to ship out for basic! :D

And again I urge everyone to have some way of communicating by voice chat in the game. You need either a USB or Bluetooth headset or the Playstation Eye. This really is a must because a realism unit is based around teamwork and you need to be able to communicate with the team.
See my above post. Any word on whether or not the Warhawk headset just plain sucks or is it Warhawk that sucks? Has anyone tried the jabra headset with another game, Resistance perhaps?

steve said:
See my above post. Any word on whether or not the Warhawk headset just plain sucks or is it Warhawk that sucks? Has anyone tried the jabra headset with another game, Resistance perhaps?
I wish I had an answer for you, steve. I haven’t used the Warhawk headset personally, but I also haven’t heard widespread complaints about it either.

I've had RL training in Ground Combat and haven't been able to use any of that in quite some time, so I'm definitely down for this!

I was still on the fence as to which version to get as well, but this sealed it for me - PS3 version it is. I have the headset from Warhawk, but I might get something a bit more comfortable.

PSN: DeejayKnight

I won't have the game on launch day (funds are tight - leaving the country on the 12th for a few weeks), but as soon as I can get my hands on it, I'm definitely interested. :D

Maverick

I am absolutely down for this. I missed out on the resistance clan because I didn't get my PS3 until this summer.

This game is more my speed. I already have a blutooth headset.

PSN: SeanCon

steve

Banned
blindrocket said:
I wish I had an answer for you, steve. I haven’t used the Warhawk headset personally, but I also haven’t heard widespread complaints about it either.
Ok, thanks. I'll just have to play it by ear. No pun intended.

I preordered today and picked up the Playstation Eye as well (voice communication is a must!) and they said I'd have it Wednesday by the latest but I sure hope it's earlier than that.

J-Rzez

I don't take orders, and I don't give orders... Let me get my gear of choice, a run off into the fog of war, and do what I do best... Kill people... But not like Rambo, but like a Delta Sniper...

Defuser

ugh, it turns out that you up have to rank up to Sergeant II(Lv12) before you can get a clan tag. Im only level 8 >_<

Some of you may be getting the game already, I will hopefully get my copy tomorrow if Gamestop keeps their end of the bargain. ;)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Getting my copy today. I sent a bunch of you friend invites last night. Feel free to shoot me an invite if you see me on playing tonight (which you will!).

Big Nate said:
Getting my copy today. I sent a bunch of you friend invites last night. Feel free to shoot me an invite if you see me on playing tonight (which you will!).
Yup, added you last night. I hope our little unit works out!

calder

I'll be on tonight. Maybe leave work a bit early too... :)

EDIT: lol blindrocket still hasn't accepted my friend invite. ;(

steve

Banned
Should be picking up my copy tonight. Would like to complete the single player mode before I jump online though, so I'm not totally clueless.

JB1981

my psn tag is Beamber
please feel free to add me

i would love to get some games going tonight if anyone is interested

calder said:
I'll be on tonight. Maybe leave work a bit early too... :)

EDIT: lol blindrocket still hasn't accepted my friend invite. ;(
Someone JUST sent me an invite and I added them, if it wasn't you please send it again because I honestly didn't see anything before right now.

As for how this is going to work, once we all get situated with the game - gone through the single player - whatever, someone with a phat connection should probably play host for us to have a meet-up. Not all of us have even got the game yet, I imagine.

calder

Oh I meant a PSN friend invite, not a party one.

I don't see how to invite ppl to a party except who are on your PSN list, but a lot of the options are hidden for a while. I kept inviting a non-GAFer I know who was playing but we kept just missing each other (and I accidentally rejected him twice lol). When I get high enough to add a clan identifier we'll see if that helps, but something about the way the menu read made me suspect that clan support is limited to nothing more than being able to slap [GAF] in front of your name. :\

Anyone wants to add me to PSN, especially anyone interested in the COD4 realism unit, feel free. ID is caldermuyo, I think I have at least 10 spaces left in my friends list (expand that Sony!)

Safe Bet

Banned
I'm going through the thread and sending out friend requests...

ACCEPT OR DIE!!!

;)

Edit:

Will wait to send out invites until Blind rounds up everyone's gamernames.

Concept17

Couple hours of MP, rank 11 atm. (ZOMG I LOVE AIRSTRIKES!)

So far my best streak is 10 or 11, can't remember which.

I am ranked at lvl 9 right now, it's addictive! But since it's technically "tomorrow" right now I'm going to hit the sack.
Tomorrow I will gather up everyone's Playstation Network ID that left one and we will get a good feeling of who wants to get this party started. ;)
I saw some people that were freaking OFFICERS today... I think I hit Sergeant with my next promotion, it takes a lot of work! :)

lunlunqq

Already got it. PSN: lunlunqq. Played 4 games tonight. go to bed now. got work to do tomorrow. cant wait to see you guys online! :D :D

calder

Played around with the party system last night. Had gamerecks, hellshalfhalo and I believe Big Nate in a party. Worked fairly well, we joined up a match and were on the same team etc.

Unless there's a clan list option you can't see until you can assign yourself to a clan I guess the party system has to do, and it should work ok from what I've seen. It doesn't have all the handy social options of Resistence or Halo but we'll see, one thing I would like to know is if anyone in a party I create would be able to invite ppl from their friends list? If not, the person creating the party would have to have everyone on their friends list (your PSN list, I don't see an in-game seperate list yet). This likely isn't a huge problem as the most ppl you can have in a party is 9 after all, but we'll have to figure it out as we go.

Great game :D I just can not wait to get a rifle with full auto lol

GRU_ribbon.jpg

Playstation Name List for the GAF Realism Unit [GRU]

Acos
A-D-O
Asshandler
Beamber
blindrocket
caldermuyo
Captscience
DeejayKnight
Iron_Scimitar
Kassatsu
Resolver1
SeanCon
Sykra
Torgo
Tulip_Sniper
xDefuser

I don’t think that this is everyone that has shown interest in the unit so if you haven’t left your PSN ID please do so or if I have missed you let me know.

caldermuyo, I didn’t get a friend invite from you, are you sure that you sent me one?

Clan support isn’t unlocked until you hit a certain rank so I would suggest people work on that, for those of us that have the game, what’s a good time to meet up and who wants to play host?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Add me to that list, PSN = Diseasedyak. (really wish my id here was the same, bleh, oh well).

Anyway, had some fun last night with Calder and Gamerecks. The party invites seem to work just fine, you just have to have them in your friend's list.

The clan tag is opened up at Rank 12, I only ended up getting to 8 or 9 last night. The last match I played before calling quits had a freakin' Colonel or some such, level 31 or 32 I think.

calder

blindrocket: yeah I sent one but I'll resend, I might have misspelled it or something. It just shows as pending on my Friends list, but I'll cancel and redo it.

Top Bottom