• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

So, I guess I can start posting in this thread. I have never, ever been able to run. I don't know why. Either my lungs or my legs would give out on me after about a minute or two. Mostly shin splints, but I felt I could never get enough oxygen. I'd run for maybe 90 seconds and be sucking wind. I tried to adjust my gait to reduce the shin splints and it worked, until I was sidelined with plantar fascitis. My legs are unusually defined and thick for someone who doesn't lift.

I resolved this year to get in better shape, and for the first four months I have been doing upper body workouts and walking. This week I decided I was ready to start mixing some running in. Well, jogging pace. I did two and a half minutes on Tuesday, and two five minute periods this morning. Felt freaking awesome, I haven't done two minutes of sustained running in fifteen years.

I've been wanting to do a 5K for a few years, and this might finally be the year.

This is great! I'm glad things are finally starting to look up running-wise. If your goal is to run a 5K you might be interested in following a C25K program, like this one. In any case, and whatever training you end up doing, keep us updated and don't hesitate to talk to RunGAF if you have any doubts or want to share your experiences ;)

I just finished week 3 of my c210k program! Feeling pretty good about it so far. I've run a few 5ks in the past, but I'd like to get to the point where I'm running 3 miles twice a week and then going for a longer run (4-6 miles) on the weekends.

I've been doing a mix of running outside and inside on the treadmill and I vastly prefer running outside. However, it's going to start getting pretty hot here in NC. Do you guys usually combat the heat by running in the morning/evening?

I just finished week 3 of my c210k program! Feeling pretty good about it so far. I've run a few 5ks in the past, but I'd like to get to the point where I'm running 3 miles twice a week and then going for a longer run (4-6 miles) on the weekends.

I've been doing a mix of running outside and inside on the treadmill and I vastly prefer running outside. However, it's going to start getting pretty hot here in NC. Do you guys usually combat the heat by running in the morning/evening?

Rock on with the c210K!

I find that the biggest problem in hot climes is the heat coming off the ground/pavement. It's distracting when your feet feel like they're being cooked inside your trainers, so I prefer morning runs.

Obviously you should be thoroughly hydrated at all times but also consider carrying a water bottle just to splash your neck and face - makes a big difference for me.

Always glad to hear about the progress of someone new! Congrats on your progress so far, I still remember training for my first 10k 1.5 years ago thinking WTF I was doing to myself lol and now I'm a marathoner. Go figure.

Anyways, regarding the heat- currently my running coach has us doing our track workouts at 5:30 in the morning (not fun lol) before work every Wednesday in order to avoid the heat that usually persists in the Bay Area around this time. Personally though, it doesn't matter to me as long as I get my necessary daily run in; which is usually at night on weekdays before strength class and longer runs in the morning on weekends.

Just forewarning, if you are planning to try and run in the heat, be sure to take it easy and run slow; perhaps just getting out there for only 2-3 miles max. You want to make sure that your body is acclimating to heat training and given the extra pounding that's associated with running in hotter temps, I highly stress it.

Thanks, both of you. I tend to wake up early anyway, so I may just start getting up a little earlier to get my runs in. I finally live in a neighborhood where I feel comfortable running so I'm pretty psyched I can run outdoors again!

Next step is to register for a 5k - I'll probably be ready in July so I'll try and find one with a start time in the morning. My first 5k was years ago in DC in July at like 6pm... I think it was 85 degrees with 100% humidity. Not fun!

30F1WP6l.png

I keep stalling myself at around the 6 mile mark, need to push a little harder.

titch

Was running really well but got struck down with a chest infection unfortunately having sarcoidosis it takes a bit longer to clear up.

Getting back on track now though and although i thought it was going to come a little early i managed to knock a minute off my previous 5 mile time in a local race early this week.

Started off probably a bit easy but finished strong and my watch is reporting a PB for both 1 and 2 miles at some point during the race.

Overall pretty pleased

Aurongel

I'm coming off of a nasty run of illness and 50 hour work weeks so I've fallen off the wagon a lot. Thankfully my illness kept me from binge eating in the downtime so my weight has stayed the same.

Anyway, I've heard from friends and a few folks in the fitness subreddit that ingesting caffeine before a workout is a good way to burn some extra calories. Is there any validity to this that anyone can back up?

Anyway, I've heard from friends and a few folks in the fitness subreddit that ingesting caffeine before a workout is a good way to burn some extra calories. Is there any validity to this that anyone can back up?

No idea about the science of it, but definitely feels really great when you're out there, especially early in the morn. I'm a believer in it having some performance benefits.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally went to the store for some new shoes on Friday. Ended up with Saucony Guide 9's. They fit like a glove right away, super comfortable with doing a quick jog in the store.

I've also determined that I'm not an Asics guy. Tried on two different shoes of theirs; one in my normal size, and one a half size up. My feet weren't going in on the one my normal size, and the one a half size up still felt incredibly tight.

Planning to get a short run in tonight to break the new shoes in! Pretty excited.

mdsfx

Ran 10 miles mid day yesterday. It was 80°f and sunny. 6 miles in I stopped sweating and felt exhausted. Then came the chills. What the hell was that...?!

Goodlife

Anyone else get sick after long runs (well, long for me)?
Happened 3/4 times after 20ish k runs. Last night was the last time after 19k

Like a couple of hours after, start to feel like I'm hungover and have to head to the toilet for a good few spews.
Am ok after a while then, but not a pleasant hour or so.

Fistwell

Ran 10 miles mid day yesterday. It was 80°f and sunny. 6 miles in I stopped sweating and felt exhausted. Then came the chills. What the hell was that...?!
Dunno, sounds kind of awful. Heat stress, heat exhaustion, heatstroke, something like that?

Symptoms include hot skin (often without sweating, because the person may be too dehydrated to sweat), hallucinations, chills, severe headache, confusion, dizziness, slurred speech.
Although, honestly, confusion, dizziness and slurred speech sound like any other Saturday night to me.

Like a couple of hours after, start to feel like I'm hungover and have to head to the toilet for a good few spews.
That happens to me almost anytime I push distance beyond what's comfortable for me. Feeling sick, need to lay down, can't keep food or water down.

Zoe

Sounds like you need to start backing off if it's happening predictably. Lower your intensity, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.

Goodlife

Sounds like you need to start backing off if it's happening predictably. Lower your intensity, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.

Last night was a gentle run, in terms of pace.
Felt fine (although It was a warm evening) during / straight after it.

Zoe

Last night was a gentle run, in terms of pace.
Felt fine (although It was a warm evening) during / straight after it.

How did your heart rate and hydration compare to times when you don't get sick?

Pace shouldn't be your only barometer.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Decided to start taking running seriously, so I downloaded Hal Higdon's 10K novice training guide. Feel good about my very first run. 2.5 miles at a 10:01/min pace. A lot of hills in my area, with the first half mile being a 100ft climb.

I am pretty happy. I hardly ever run. Last time I ran was maybe half a year ago, and before that it was a few years. It's always been my most lacking athletic discipline. But I'm sick of hating running and I want to learn to enjoy it by achieving weekly goals. And one of them is to comfortably complete a 10k. I'm hoping I didn't jump into the deep end by going straight to the 10K program instead of working my way through the 5K, but I train hard in lots of other ways and so I thought I'd be okay. Wish me luck!

Yep, I have a strong desire to take a nap when returning home when putting away 9+ miles runs. The pukey feeling only if it's really hot.
I guess it's dehydration misxed with the exertion?

So it's warmer in London, but not sunny :mad:
Coming up to 18 degrees, which I'm no fan of, yesterday I managed nice 5.5 mile loop around Regent's Park except I forget whilst a pretty place it is the ultimate ratrun for traffic to cut through the city so together with the higher termps you could feel the pollution sinking down around you.

It's going to be muggy as hell tonight, up to 23 degrees this evening, so I just went out in the morning.
Managed to beat my 5K PB by a couple of seconds - 28:11 at 8.50/mile ^_^ Woot!

Decided to start taking running seriously, so I downloaded Hal Higdon's 10K novice training guide. Feel good about my very first run. 2.5 miles at a 10:01/min pace. A lot of hills in my area, with the first half mile being a 100ft climb.

I am pretty happy. I hardly ever run. Last time I ran was maybe half a year ago, and before that it was a few years. It's always been my most lacking athletic discipline. But I'm sick of hating running and I want to learn to enjoy it by achieving weekly goals. And one of them is to comfortably complete a 10k. I'm hoping I didn't jump into the deep end by going straight to the 10K program instead of working my way through the 5K, but I train hard in lots of other ways and so I thought I'd be okay. Wish me luck!

Good luck MrOogieBoogie and keep it going - all sounds great :D

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally went to the store for some new shoes on Friday. Ended up with Saucony Guide 9's. They fit like a glove right away, super comfortable with doing a quick jog in the store.

I've also determined that I'm not an Asics guy. Tried on two different shoes of theirs; one in my normal size, and one a half size up. My feet weren't going in on the one my normal size, and the one a half size up still felt incredibly tight.

Planning to get a short run in tonight to break the new shoes in! Pretty excited.

Following up on this - I did a 4.5km run last night - Holy Shit. What a difference it was to have some shoes that were actually comfortable. I didn't feel the need to stop or slow down because my feet weren't feeling comfortable in my shoes.

Following up on this - I did a 4.5km run last night - Holy Shit. What a difference it was to have some shoes that were actually comfortable. I didn't feel the need to stop or slow down because my feet weren't feeling comfortable in my shoes.

Now comes the next phase: buying a ridiculous number of pairs just in case they change the model for the worse next season ;p

Menthuss

Went running with a heartbeat sensor just now since I wanted to see if I my heartbeat was irregular (I occasionally get heart palpitations during exercise). I had just completed my first interval of 15 minutes when I realised I was sweating like a pig.
It was really hot outside (27 degrees Celsius) so I initially attributed it to the heat. I then took a look at my phone to check my heart rate and was shocked to see it was over 170!

At first I thought the sensor wasn't working properly but the heat alone wouldn't have been enough to make me sweat this much. I'm looking at my stats now and while I was walking faster than normal (normal pace is ~6:23 min/km while this run was 6:02 min/km), I didn't feel like I was exerting myself. I decided to stop after like 4 minutes into my second interval and just walked back home since my high heart rate did unnerve me quite a bit. Could the temperature have had anything to do with my heart rate being so high?

Anyone else do double workouts within 24 hour spans? I've been having to essentially double up my workouts over the past month or so on Tuesday nights as I start my 2-3mi warm up then 60 minutes of strength training between 6:30-8 PM PST, eat, rush to bed, hope I can sleep by 10pm and then wake up at 4:45 am before work to run track workouts with my local running crew on the track at 5:30am.

Needless to say, this shit is draining lol. Even during marathon training, I ended up at least waiting 20-24 hours in between workouts. Now I'm just doing ten hours and my sleep at night ends up feeling like a nap.

Went running with a heartbeat sensor just now since I wanted to see if I my heartbeat was irregular (I occasionally get heart palpitations during exercise). I had just completed my first interval of 15 minutes when I realised I was sweating like a pig.
It was really hot outside (27 degrees Celsius) so I initially attributed it to the heat. I then took a look at my phone to check my heart rate and was shocked to see it was over 170!

At first I thought the sensor wasn't working properly but the heat alone wouldn't have been enough to make me sweat this much. I'm looking at my stats now and while I was walking faster than normal (normal pace is ~6:23 min/km while this run was 6:02 min/km), I didn't feel like I was exerting myself. I decided to stop after like 4 minutes into my second interval and just walked back home since my high heart rate did unnerve me quite a bit. Could the temperature have had anything to do with my heart rate being so high?

I'd say so. Not only does performance go down as temperature goes up, there is also the possibility of suffering from heatstroke, which even at it's lightest can really mess your HR and exhaustion feeling.

Anyone into making their own running fuel - such as flapjack* makin' and bakin'?
I have to confess I'm a bit addicted to the delicious oaty fruity goodness! And they are fun as you can (sort of) include anything you like...

I've been seeking out recipes that aren't too insanely syrupy or fatty - it's a challenge - but this one turned out nice:
https://therunningbug.com/eat/recipes/healthy-flapjack-run-snacks
But I'm not 100% sure of the calories, I guestimated these at 250 calories per piece.

Anyone else also like flapjacks? Or running food recipes?

*N.B. I mean British flapjacks - as in "A sweet dense cake made from oats, golden syrup, and melted butter, served in rectangles." No idea what these are called in America?

What would you expect your heart rate to be? 170ish doesn't seem that out of the ordinary for someone running.

Menthuss

What would you expect your heart rate to be? 170ish doesn't seem that out of the ordinary for someone running.

The run was supposed to be a fairly easy run though? I certainly wasn't trying to push myself or go much faster than normal. With the amount of effort I was putting in I was expecting a heartrate of 120-140.

The run was supposed to be a fairly easy run though? I certainly wasn't trying to push myself or go much faster than normal. With the amount of effort I was putting in I was expecting a heartrate of 120-140.

Everyone is different. It depends on your age/build/fitness and even then if they're all identical it will still vary person to person. The heat/hydration would be a factor as well, as will how much you've ran in the past few days as maybe your body was tired. I wouldn't let it worry you too much, keep track of it over your next few runs and compare what different paces and temperature does to it.

panda-zebra

I used to have random flutters/palpitations - scary stuff - it turned out to be diet and caffeine induced and never happens now I eat clean and only have a single cup of tea first thing, decaf after that. that was before I started running so I've no idea what it'd look like recorded in an activity.

I have (well, technically now had, it's borderline risky/high) high blood pressure, so not sure if that affects things. I also take an inhaler for asthma that is known to increase heart rate. My idling heart rate is around 60-70 when sat at the computer and free of asthma medication. When I'm running easy it's between 160-170. Doing a 5k or 10k at whatever happens to be my limit that day it's 180-200+... if I have little lapses where I fade a little and need to kick myself on, it drops to the 170s (and lines up perfectly with crappy pace in the strava graphs). This is all measured with a TomTom Spark/Runner 2, not some kind of proper heart rate monitor, but the LifeQ green LED tech in these is supposed to be as good as it gets in watches "the vast majority of heart rate measurements are within a 5% error of a chest strap electrocardiogram".

So given what I see in my activities, I wouldn't be worried with what you've experienced. Like autumnleaf says, we're all different and it varies lots based on all kinds of factors.

Gemüsestäbchen;237226098 said:
Anyone into making their own running fuel - such as flapjack* makin' and bakin'?
I have to confess I'm a bit addicted to the delicious oaty fruity goodness! And they are fun as you can (sort of) include anything you like...

I've been seeking out recipes that aren't too insanely syrupy or fatty - it's a challenge - but this one turned out nice:
https://therunningbug.com/eat/recipes/healthy-flapjack-run-snacks
But I'm not 100% sure of the calories, I guestimated these at 250 calories per piece.

Anyone else also like flapjacks? Or running food recipes?

*N.B. I mean British flapjacks - as in "A sweet dense cake made from oats, golden syrup, and melted butter, served in rectangles." No idea what these are called in America?

I don't mind a flapjack afterwards occasionally, but find them a bit tough to digest as long run fuel. There's definitely no good reason to go putting butter in them, that recipe you linked is a good one (minus the honey :p ).

Best run fuel: Medjool dates. The boxes in ASDA are way better than the plastic-packed dried up crap Tesco sell!

Fistwell

I used to have random flutters/palpitations - scary stuff - it turned out to be diet and caffeine induced and never happens now I eat clean and only have a single cup of tea first thing, decaf after that. that was before I started running so I've no idea what it'd look like recorded in an activity.

I have (well, technically now had, it's borderline risky/high) high blood pressure, so not sure if that affects things. I also take an inhaler for asthma that is known to increase heart rate. My idling heart rate is around 60-70 when sat at the computer and free of asthma medication. When I'm running easy it's between 160-170. Doing a 5k or 10k at whatever happens to be my limit that day it's 180-200+... if I have little lapses where I fade a little and need to kick myself on, it drops to the 170s (and lines up perfectly with crappy pace in the strava graphs). This is all measured with a TomTom Spark/Runner 2, not some kind of proper heart rate monitor, but the LifeQ green LED tech in these is supposed to be as good as it gets in watches "the vast majority of heart rate measurements are within a 5% error of a chest strap electrocardiogram".

So given what I see in my activities, I wouldn't be worried with what you've experienced. Like autumnleaf says, we're all different and it varys lots based on all kinds of factors.
From your last 10K, think I saw a spike up to 222bpm. O.O

That's a lot of bpm's.

satriales

My heartrate goes over 100 just walking to the start of my run, and my max at the end of a 5k race can be 205.
For my easy long runs I aim for around 160, but usually find that too slow and end up averaging 170 instead.

Heartrates will vary a lot between different people, I'm pretty sure whenever I use the heartrate feature of the treadmill at the gym immediately at the end of my run I'm always around 160-175 even for different speeds.. I'd say as long as you don't have any difficulties breathing, your heartrate returns to whatever normal is for you in an ordinary amount of time and the effort felt proportional to what you put in you should be fine.

I don't mind a flapjack afterwards occasionally, but find them a bit tough to digest as long run fuel. There's definitely no good reason to go putting butter in them, that recipe you linked is a good one (minus the honey :p ).
Best run fuel: Medjool dates. The boxes in ASDA are way better than the plastic-packed dried up crap Tesco sell!

Dates are bloody delicious - I already put some diced ones in the flapjacks - I'l look out for these at ASDA.
And yeah, definitely try the recipe again minus the honey with the extra fruit I put in it there's really no need.

Upping my mileage for the 15K in the US, tried to go off the beaten track in my area - literally - by taking a new route through some stadium grounds / golf course, that happened to have some forest / park land. Was fun to get a bit lost, and it racked up an 8 mile or so at a easy pace (When I planned to only do 7!):
8.12 miles @ 01:19:43 / 9:49 per mile
I am running (no pun intended) out of time to put longer runs in as I have that annoying "I'm about to travel all work gets mushed into the last few days" syndrome, but I would like to do another 8 miles and push a bit harder to get my body more used to the distance.
Tiny tiny twinges of shin splints, so I'll back off over the weekend, and physio has more or less solved the hip pains. Pretty fired up!

Menthuss

Thanks for all the responses. I'm quite relieved right now, haha.

Heartrates will vary a lot between different people, I'm pretty sure whenever I use the heartrate feature of the treadmill at the gym immediately at the end of my run I'm always around 160-175 even for different speeds.. I'd say as long as you don't have any difficulties breathing, your heartrate returns to whatever normal is for you in an ordinary amount of time and the effort felt proportional to what you put in you should be fine.

What would be an ordinary amount of time in this case?

panda-zebra

From your last 10K, think I saw a spike up to 222bpm. O.O

That's a lot of bpm's.

I saw the peak said something well above max, had to work a bit too hard on that one, been doing too much. Rested up a bit since so going to ease back in and try to be more sensible (yeah right).

Gemüsestäbchen;237259671 said:
Dates are bloody delicious - I already put some diced ones in the flapjacks - I'l look out for these at ASDA.
And yeah, definitely try the recipe again minus the honey with the extra fruit I put in it there's really no need.
My brother slices them open, removes the stone and stuffs the void with pieces of salted pretzel. Nutrition vs gels compares really well and the gloop doesn't come close to how tasty and satisfying these are :D

My watch gives recovery info if you pause it before ending the activity. It always says excellent or good and the time taken to get back to a certain percentage of what it was during exercise. Probably why I've never worried about the actual rates as it seems to get back promptly.

Pedrito

I just pulled the trigger on a Vivoactive HR. I can finally stop using my 8 year-old Nike+Nano. I bet the calibration was way off.

I still think it's pretty ugly but alas, there's no way I can drop 600$+ on a sexy Fenix 3/5.

snacknuts

we all knew her
In an effort to motivate myself to start regularly exercising and lose some weight, last week I signed up for a half marathon on Nov. 4. I tried doing one about 8-9 years ago, but I overdid it during training and messed my knee up. On race day I only got to about four miles before I had to give up and walk the remainder. I'm in much worse shape now than when I started prepping for that race, but I have more of a desire to do things right. A friend of mine who has done a couple of half Ironman triathlons has created a training schedule for me. And instead of just running, I am working stretching and strength training into my routine. We'll see how it goes.

In an effort to motivate myself to start regularly exercising and lose some weight, last week I signed up for a half marathon on Nov. 4. I tried doing one about 8-9 years ago, but I overdid it during training and messed my knee up. On race day I only got to about four miles before I had to give up and walk the remainder. I'm in much worse shape now than when I started prepping for that race, but I have more of a desire to do things right. A friend of mine who has done a couple of half Ironman triathlons has created a training schedule for me. And instead of just running, I am working stretching and strength training into my routine. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck mate!
Out of curiosity - What's your weekly training plan? What strength / stretches are you doing?

Thanks for all the responses. I'm quite relieved right now, haha.

Again it would vary person to person, however long it normally takes you to recover. I really wouldn't worry about it, it doesn't sound like you felt you were exerting yourself or found breathing difficult. Your body was probably just tired and combined with the heat probably just put your heartrate up, or it could be that's what your heartrate is but you'll need to check it over a few weeks to know.

Goodlife

Lush tempo intervals run this morning, training really starting to fall into place for my 1/2 in 5 weeks. If I can stay injury free now (i.e. no more gout flareups) I'm pretty confident I can get a half decent time

crispyben

Last night, I crossed another running event on my bucket list: the Vertigo run in Paris. I took the stairs up to the 49th floor (954 steps) of the tallest office building in France. I timed myself just under 9 minutes, which is one more than I would have liked based on my training over 40 floors, but I guess it's due to me not sticking to the inside since I didn't use the banister and didn't want to bother other competitors. I'm still above 100 steps/minute too :) Before yesterday, the best time ever was 4'43"...

Fisico

Last night, I crossed another running event on my bucket list: the Vertigo run in Paris. I took the stairs up to the 49th floor (954 steps) of the tallest office building in France. I timed myself just under 9 minutes, which is one more than I would have liked based on my training over 40 floors, but I guess it's due to me not sticking to the inside since I didn't use the banister and didn't want to bother other competitors. I'm still above 100 steps/minute too :) Before yesterday, the best time ever was 4'43"...

Is that the one in La Defense?
Must be hard on the knees, I was thinking about registering but I had a bit of a pain in my right knee so I didn't want to take any risk.

Must be fun and pretty intense regardless!

Bragging rights unlocked. Nicely done! Never got a chance to do one of these stair runs, it's on the bucket list.

crispyben

Is that the one in La Defense?
Must be hard on the knees, I was thinking about registering but I had a bit of a pain in my right knee so I didn't want to take any risk.

Must be fun and pretty intense regardless!
Yeah, that's the one :) The thing is, you can do these things at your own pace. I walked most of the way, there's no chance I could run up more than a dozen floors! My heart rate at the top was 183, and i caught my breath pretty fast, maybe because I've never been able to "kill" myself exercising... but I passed more people than passed me, I'm more tortoise than hare!

Bragging rights unlocked. Nicely done! Never got a chance to do one of these stair runs, it's on the bucket list.
What's even nicer is that it's one of the charity runs, which are not so frequent in France. I collected 250€ for children and sports, so I wasn't lacking motivation, even though I waited almost two hours in the humid since the race was not so well organized...

I'm going to start incorporating track work into my distance routine with a running partner. Historically I've enjoyed doing 400m repeats for my speed work. I run around a 9m/mi average pace, but my 5k pace is around 7:55/mi - I'd like to get faster with that and with my 10k time (52:40 PR). I'm already adding mileage but want to do some speed work as well. I usually run my 400s at around 6:00/mi pace. Any fun track workouts I could incorporate?

Top Bottom