• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFchat SF4 Team Tournament. (PSN)

Ploid 3.0

Are you guys ok with two of the same characters being on the same team? It shouldn't matter since we're paring the teams against each other now, and not having it so one person can take out a whole team. But if you see some flaw in this let me know. I'll take the people that are part of a double, and mix them up via hat blind pull. Winners from the singles tournament won't be included.

Also another thing. With the team order. I suggest you tell your team mates which position you want to be in, and they will most likely agree and pick the position they want to be in. The last person (late person) will have to take his position, unless the team allow him to change up. It's quicker that way, and you can't really anticipate anything anyway, so it's best to get this phase out of the way.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Are you guys ok with two of the same characters being on the same team? It shouldn't matter since we're paring the teams against each other now, and not having it so one person can take out a whole team. But if you see some flaw in this let me know. I'll take the people that are part of a double, and mix them up via hat blind pull. Winners from the singles tournament won't be included.

I don't see why it would cause any problem. Because of the way the players will be matched up, it's not like anyone will have to fight three sagats in a row or anything.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure captmcblack and TimeKillr are awesome :D Carry me, boys, carry me.
Now I know why people want lobbies.

Killa Sasa said:
IIRC, I'm pretty sure captmcblack and TimeKillr are awesome :D Carry me, boys, carry me.
Now I know why people want lobbies.

aaahhhhh, so we meet again in another tournament :D :D hopefully we get a match in the future.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Since the teams are getting paired up, and the order is secret, it doesn't seem like there really is an 'order' persay. It could just be assigned randomly to save having to wait for people to pm you.

I mean I can't see why anyone would want to be position B instead of position A or whatever.

edit:
in fact, to create more suspence, you might assign a random new order to the teams for each fight in the tournament so you don't know which member you are going to fight until it is time.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
what the hell? Why are there no Boxers? I thought we had several great boxers in the official thread... And a big fat vadernooooo.gif to all those Blankas.

:(

slayn

Brobzoid said:
what the hell? Why are there no Boxers? I thought we had several great boxers in the official thread... And a big fat vadernooooo.gif to all those Blankas.

:(
They all ran away from boxer.
As it should be.

Insert joke about everyone running away from the black man that would probably get me banned.

(the two main gaf boxers I know of are findmyfarms and galacticae, who both switched characters for this tournament). I have no idea where all the blankas came from.

Brobzoid

Well, you won't take my Boxer this time Slayn. I don't care how many Blankas there are I will punch them all >:O

TimeKillr

captmcblack said:
Gah, so many Boxers. :x

No matter; time for the rushdown, baby.
TimeKillr/Killa Sasa, let's do this. :)

Yeah, we'll kick their butts. Abel ftw! :)

BTW my PSN is the same as my name here - TimeKillr

TimeKillr said:
Yeah, we'll kick their butts. Abel ftw! :)

BTW my PSN is the same as my name here - TimeKillr

i thought i was the only abel XD. if we fight im just gonna roll, roll and roll some more. i will defeat you without throwing a punch!!!!!

Ploid 3.0

slayn said:
Since the teams are getting paired up, and the order is secret, it doesn't seem like there really is an 'order' persay. It could just be assigned randomly to save having to wait for people to pm you.

I mean I can't see why anyone would want to be position B instead of position A or whatever.

edit:
in fact, to create more suspence, you might assign a random new order to the teams for each fight in the tournament so you don't know which member you are going to fight until it is time.

Sounds good, it means more hat drawing for me though, and more chance of being accused of setting things up though. We could ask a gaffer that isn't in the tournament though. Now I see why sweepstakes don't allow the families and the people that take part in making it to participate.

---------

The reason I picked Blanka is he's the only character I'm comfortable playing. Gogo Sixaxis!

Ploid 3.0

It's not over.

And we will keep the team order in the hands of the teams. We won't allow the teams to change up their order throughout.

Keep in mind when making your order folks, position C will carry the least weight. If you lose A and B there's no point in doing fight C, you lost.

slayn

Ploid 3.0 said:
It's not over.

And we will keep the team order in the hands of the teams. We won't allow the teams to change up their order throughout.

Keep in mind when making your order folks, position C will carry the least weight. If you lose A and B there's no point in doing fight C, you lost.
That's not really a true statement. I don't care if order is chosen or whatever, but its just whichever team wins 2 right? I mean I highly, highly doubt you'll find that everyone fights in the ABC order due to scheduling. And that's ok because it doesn't alter the final outcome.

There is no reason C can't fight first against the other team's C. Or that you can't have A, B, and C fight simultaneously if everyone is online.

Everyone on the team carries the same weight, and everyone's win is just as important as everyone else's win.

slayn said:
That's not really a true statement. I don't care if order is chosen or whatever, but its just whichever team wins 2 right? I mean I highly, highly doubt you'll find that everyone fights in the ABC order due to scheduling. And that's ok because it doesn't alter the final outcome.

There is no reason C can't fight first against the other team's C. Or that you can't have A, B, and C fight simultaneously if everyone is online.

Everyone on the team carries the same weight, and everyone's win is just as important as everyone else's win.

This whole time, I think we were all under the assumption that all 6 players would probably get together and play their match in an ordered setting. Traditionally, that's how every team fighting game tournament has ever been held so we just went in that direction. This way you'd feel like you're actually playing WITH your team, like they do in arcades where all 3 people are together in their team matches. The ordered match also gives an extra strategic element in team games.

The fact is, we're not together in person at an arcade but in different parts of the world and playing over the internet. You bring up a good point that not everyone will probably be able to play at the same time due to scheduling, and thus doing ordered matches might not be ideal for this tournament. With that being said, I guess we could do without the ordered/get together matches and instead just play whoever your matched up against whenever you can. Would everyone agree on this?

From a practicality stand though, I still think we should keep players identified as A,B,C. This way you'll always know who you're playing against and it would be easier to set up a match.

Ploid 3.0

ndn95y.png

tribal24 said:
ill be cammy then

I meant the tournament isn't over. The signup is though. The tournament is just getting started.

slayn

That bracket is badass.

also, I wasn't arguing for a change of rules on order, I was just trying to point out that it doesn't make a statistical difference if there is a pre-determined order or not >_>

edit:
if it is a pre-set order chosen by us, I don't care (because it doesn't matter) someone else on my team can feel free to pick our order.

There is much win to be witnessed in that bracket. Awesome job Ploid!

And since we won't be playing in order, the ABC sole purpose now is to just let you know who you're going up against on the other team. Once everyone pm's the info to Ploid we can get this bad boy started!

Also the match settings will be at 3 rounds, best out of 3.

dfyb said:
if the dark yellow bar is for finals, what's the white bar for?

Since it's double elim, the losers bracket finalist has to beat the winners bracket finalist twice, but the winners finalist only has to win once. The little white bar just shows whether or not the losers bracket finalist won the first match.

SLAYN

we meet again... this should be interesting to say the least. Hopefully Cammy can pick up where Guile failed. I've got better punishments options off of blocked balls, that's for sure :D

Team order hasn't been decided yet, correct? Or is it randomly decided? This is gonna be awesome :D Now to go practice up.

TimeKillr and McBlack, any preferences on order? We HAVE to get this one for my ego :lol

slayn

Step right up. Your hunt for slayn begins.

Do you pick door number 1? number 2? Or perhaps the ever mysterious... door number 3?

Ploid 3.0

Killa Sasa said:
SLAYN

we meet again... this should be interesting to say the least. Hopefully Cammy can pick up where Guile failed. I've got better punishments options off of blocked balls, that's for sure :D

Team order hasn't been decided yet, correct? Or is it randomly decided? This is gonna be awesome :D Now to go practice up.

TimeKillr and McBlack, any preferences on order? We HAVE to get this one for my ego :lol

Need to work out your order with your team. It would be faster if it was random but we have enough randoms so far. We need you guys to get this order out of the way. You could send your group a pm stating which position you will take. First come first serve type of way. They will most likely agree and choose a slot of their own. That would be a faster way of doing it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oh this sounds fun! I miss SF4... too much KZ2 for me. I'm just waiting on my buttons from lizardlick, and then I have an excuse to play. Seriously, I ordered my buttons 2 months ago. This is ridiculous.

gutter_trash said:
I need a bit of explanation how does Team work
do all 3 team members fight on the same day? or is it one at a time?

Naw just fight the opposing team member that has the same letter as you whenever you get a chance. Ideally it would be like a real tournament and we'd all get together and play, but due to scheduling it's not too possible.

I PMed my team, will wait n see what they think,

i am ready to fight anyone just checking on what their thoughts

so according to that chart.. I will be facing Galactic.. right?

gutter_trash said:

Yup. The only thing that the letter assignment will determine is who you're playing against on the other team. We're just having them pmed to Ploid instead of posted so people can't be like, OH LOOK Akachan is player B! I wanna play him instead of the other people on the team so I'll be B also! Well, probably not that rude, but ya get the point.

Edit yes - Your team is facing galactic's team.

Brobzoid

gutter_trash said:

I replied to your PM, but does kiryogi get a CC of that reply?

Brobzoid said:
I replied to your PM, but does kiryogi get a CC of that reply?
check in "sent" to see if his name was on when your replied :p
*I re-PMed you and add added kiryogi to the replied message,
going to bed now, talk tomorow :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm still undecided on who to use. :lol I think I'm better with Chun-Li at this point, but it would be more challenging to use Cammy...

Lyte Edge

FindMyFarms said:
I think you're a lot better w/ Cammy.

That was kind of an off-night when I played you in the other tourney though. ;) Plus your Boxer was fuck awesome!

It's hard for me to say; I seem to be able to take out certain characters easier with one character over the other. Just need to study who's using who in this tourney. If there's more Blankas, I might have to go with Ms. Li.

Then again it might be fun to just go with someone different entirely. Maybe it's time to break out THE DAN. Or Rose.

Lyte Edge said:
That was kind of an off-night when I played you in the other tourney though. ;) Plus your Boxer was fuck awesome!

It's hard for me to say; I seem to be able to take out certain characters easier with one character over the other. Just need to study who's using who in this tourney. If there's more Blankas, I might have to go with Ms. Li.

Then again it might be fun to just go with someone different entirely. Maybe it's time to break out THE DAN. Or Rose.

Yeah well just remember that the letter assignments for teams won't be posted, and thus the tourney can't start until everyone has a character chosen.

Edit : Don't pick Dan LOL, don't do itttt!!!

Lyte Edge

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah well just remember that the letter assignments for teams won't be posted, and thus the tourney can't start until everyone has a character chosen.

Edit : Don't pick Dan LOL, don't do itttt!!!

But no one ever uses Dan, that's the fun of it! :lol

dfyb

Banned
Lyte Edge said:

might also be fun if you didn't try to counter-pick :lol

Brobzoid

Tournament needs a Dan! If I knew a quarter circle from a zig-zag I would most def bust out in the pink.

akachan ningen said:
What happens if one of the players drops out? is the whole team screwed?

Well it was made clear that if you're going to participate, then you should be committed. It's not hard to play one match even with a hectic lifestyle.

With that being said, I think it would only be fair if the person that dropped out counted as a loss for the team going in the matchup.

TimeKillr

Killa Sasa said:
SLAYN

I don't really have a preference. There are certain people I don't want to fight (lol) and I know for a fact that I'm unable to connect with Gutter_Trash so it's my only requirement. :)

I can take on Ermac (I've done so in the past! ha!), I usually lose against Slayn and I've never played Akachan. It'll be interesting :)

TimeKillr said:
I don't really have a preference. There are certain people I don't want to fight (lol) and I know for a fact that I'm unable to connect with Gutter_Trash so it's my only requirement. :)

I can take on Ermac (I've done so in the past! ha!), I usually lose against Slayn and I've never played Akachan. It'll be interesting :)

well if you fight me, we could fight locally face to face in town since we live in the same city hahaha

Guaranteed to not have lag ;)

*brobzoid, kiryogi
if you guys want we can do some practice sessions for warming up to the tourney,
Bison, Balrog, Blanka are my 2ndaries if you need practice against them.

Top Bottom