• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
i25WvwFlPrxhs.png

On my mind, past my bedtime, no rest in the kingdom,
Alone in my place, my heart is away
All that I can think of is, we should get married.
Let’s stop holding back on this and let’s get carried away.

BEYONCE’s most flawed song is also one of its most lyrically brilliant moments. Mine is a back-and-forth between two lovers who can’t figure their relationship out; when one wants to slow it down, the other wants to speed it up, and the song’s production follows suit. There is a LOT to digest with this song because it’s the album’s most lyrically intensive track, with monologues by both Beyonce and Drake that are as ambiguous as they are wordy. A lot of the play on words here are cleverly constructed but don’t seem to make much sense (“stop making a big deal out of the little things, cause I got big deals and I got little things”), though even with its wordiness and rare mark-missing the song is still a great transition from sex-kitten grinders to some more relationship earnestness. Drake does his job well here too, and his vocals mesh well with Beyonce’s silky lower register. Overall the song is effective enough, and will resonate with the listener depending on their affinity for new-age R&B and, honestly, Drake himself (this song’s style is pretty much lifted from his own). I do think it’s easier however for Mine to fail at resonating with listeners than other songs on BEYONCE, even after multiple listens. SCORE: C

ibkElkkd6UmekF.png

Nobody sees what we see
They’re just hopelessly gazing
Baby take me,
Before they turn the lights out.

XO works as both a love letter to her fans and as a general statement of unconditional love. Either way, it’s a soaring stadium-ready power anthem that can easily pass for a Coldplay A-side, with overly layered synths and “ooooh ohhh” background chants that we’ve come to expect from this kind of sound. XO is the official first pop single from the album which makes sense because it has every making for a foreseeable hit. It does however fall squarely on the safe side of things, and while XO’s sound and visual fits this album like a glove, it’s definitely not the most ambitious or necessary track in the overall experience. It’s a feel-good Ryan Tedder power ballad that calls to mind that overpowering emotion that Halo did so well, and Beyonce’s softly laden vocals are a good fit here. The video is also the album’s most candid moment, showing Beyonce having a goddamn blast at Coney Island, meeting fans and, of course, making the children dance. I do love how Beyonce seems to stake out the fun kids around her and forces them into a dance troupe collaboration. Perhaps she learned that from her dad. SCORE: B

iQ91FP2XgCK53.png

We say to girls: You can have ambition, but not too much.

***Flawless is hard to pin down because it comes and goes like a thunderstorm. The interlude is exactly the first half of Bow Down/I Been On, which exhibits Beyonce at her most steam pressed, calling out the women in the world who target her for any multitude of reasons (likely regarding her relationship to Jay-Z, or the way she may unintentionally promote chivalrous ideas about women and marriage; see Upgrade U). I do think the “bow down” retort is fresh for someone like Bey, considering how careful she always seems to be about treading a line of respect toward other females, but I suppose that’s the point. And just like that, the anger transitions into soft spoken editorializing, with brilliant Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie quoting herself about gender inequality. The ideas in this reading are simple but effective. “We teach girls to shrink themselves; to make themselves smaller.” The fact that this transition plays for more than just a single soundbite really makes it special; it’s an entire monologue that really contextualizes the angry production and gives it substance. It’s not just a “fuck you” song anymore, it’s a statement on female insecurity and in-fighting; that battling one another is a distraction against the real task at hand, which is to focus on elevating the female sub-species to an equal (or higher) plane than the population’s more fortunate half. Beyonce plays both the problem and the solution in this song; what starts off as a “fuck you” to the women that doubt her then transforms into a commentary about said “fuck you,” then leads off into Beyonce’s assertion that above all the in-fighting, we’re all still “flawless.” Whether you want to say that Beyonce plays the problem here or whether the song is just imbalanced is up to how you take it, but personally I think there’s some blame-taking here, and it’s an interesting (and bold) take on an otherwise rigid feminist anthem. SCORE: B-

izZocQlQtCAMN.png

And I thought the world would move on
I thought the world would revolve
Without us, without us, without us.

This Frank Ocean-assisted ballad definitely takes a page out of his playbook; this new ‘internal monologue’ brand of R&B is definitely the current genre style and it works really well for Bey. I couldn’t quite place this song at first but after a few careful listens I did find myself loving it because of its dual meanings (which, let’s face it, happens to be the case for most of BEYONCE’s tracks). What can most easily be seen as a love song (or a comment about her Destiny’s Child bandmates) can also be a statement on black empowerment and unity. “I thought the world would revolve around us,” she says, perhaps a comment on how black issues may, disappointingly, be issues that don’t really affect anyone else. It hints ever-so-slightly at this cultural martyrdom but it hits hard. “But together we got plenty power” she continues, invoking hope into the melancholy. “Yes we can” she concludes, a reference to the obvious, and because of that I can’t help but feel that Superpower is a significant moment for this album, if not significant for R&B. Yes this trope has been tackled before and in many different ways, but to hear Beyonce give a mature, perhaps realistic take on culture war and empowerment is significant because of how permeable her presence is in pop culture. “It’s tough love,” the most poignant and resonant lyric in the song, really brings this point home. Through all the in-fighting, competition and sabotage that come with being a minority in America, at the end of the day it does come from a place of love. We want what’s best for our communities and ourselves, and even though we fall into these traps sometimes, it’s the moments when we come together that real magic occurs. It’s our superpower. SCORE: A

i0rCls3ECIwF5.png

Heaven couldn’t wait for you.

Heaven is a shockingly forthcoming love song to Beyonce’s miscarried first child, and it’s a heart-wrenching production because it’s really one simple lyric that carries the song. “Heaven couldn’t wait for you” is such a soul-crushing statement, and hearing her say it over and over with a disposition that eventually cracks in the final third of the song is incredibly heartfelt. It’s a tasteful ode and doesn’t feel deliberate or forced. I remember tearing up on my first listen because of how barren it sounded; it’s simply the voice of a mother in grief. You would think it’d be difficult to place yourself in that kind of emotional situation but it really isn’t, and it’s because Beyonce feels every word and pause, and exudes it with such intensity and purpose. This really does feel like the closest we’ve come to Beyonce’s state of mind, and the way she channels this darkness with that beautiful tone of hers really is a powerful and intimate moment. SCORE: A

i6QUP387Plzgf.png

You and I together
Come on baby won’t you hold on to me, hold on to me Blue.

The placement of Blue as the last track on BEYONCE is significant for a number of reasons, but primarily in that it’s an antithesis to Pretty Hurts, as well as a successor to Heaven. The fact that it follows Heaven feels overwhelming; where Beyonce mourns the loss of her first child and having to let it go, she feels absolutely glowing in Blue, having found her treasure, assuring her to “hold on.” She can’t spare another loss, and there is so much pure happiness in Blue that really hits me emotionally. The contrast between “go on, go home” and “hold on to me” is one of the most powerful song progressions I’ve ever listened to, and it’s such a rewarding narrative that assures us that this tortured artist has found her happy ending. It’s a brilliant bookend for this album as it calls back the theme from the opening track; she hopes to be a different mother to Blue than Tina was to her. While she grew up learning that looks and money matter above all, she assures us that Blue is growing up around nothing but love and support. Beyonce feels at her most liberated here; all the troubles she feels shackled to from superficiality to industry woes to jealousies and minority inequality… it all somehow feels resolved in Blue. Her baby girl clears her mind from the rest, and sets everything at ease. It’s natural to assume that the source for Beyonce’s artistic defiance that’s visible throughout this album comes from her experience as a mother; that you can control and change your own destiny and trajectory if you want to, just as you do with your child. With all the album’s ups, downs and swivels, there’s nothing sweeter than knowing that all your happiness and answers can be found in the loved ones you surround yourself with. It’s a great ending to an album filled with plot twists and editorials, and provides some smart closure and a lot of heart to this amazing ride. SCORE: B+

I’ll conclude this review with the first thought that popped into my head after listening to this album for the first time on Friday the 13th:

Girl, I can’t believe you made me wait this long to see you at your best.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Let me go make a sandwich before I try and digest all of that

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
How on earth did little know producer Lil Internet, the one time bf(still going out?) of Azealia Banks end up directing one of Beyonce's videos?

Pretty Hurts - SCORE: A
Ghost - SCORE: B+
Haunted - SCORE: B-
Drunk In Love - SCORE: A
Blow - SCORE: B-
No Angel - SCORE: C
‘Yonce - SCORE: A-
Partition - SCORE: A+
Jealous - SCORE: A+
Rocket - SCORE: B-
Mine - SCORE: C
XO - SCORE: B

***Flawless - SCORE: B-
Superpower - SCORE: A

Heaven - SCORE: A
Blue - SCORE: B+

Girl, I can’t believe you made me wait this long to see you at your best.
Worth the wait. Bravo!
I agree with all the scores except Rocket
You gave Mine a C. That's all I bothered to read, now I know I have no reason to read the rest.
Rude!
ikTBjKcf3ITTd.gif

Mumei

Well.

I had planned on responding to a few posts on the previous page, but then 'scribe had to go and do that. Well done.

I would still like to mention that Leona is entirely right and Everything I Do slays a bit.

'scribe, it was an interesting read. I'm not sure that I agree with your interpretation of some of the songs - I didn't read Pretty Hurts as a personal statement that she has benefited from these beauty standards - which doesn't seem to be a particularly striking admission, for instance. I thought of it as a criticism of the notion of judging women's worth by their appearance, and by showing her (fictionalized, but still relatable) struggles, helps to indicate that there are no real "winners" in this scheme; even women who win in the game of appropriate femininity will still have something wrong with them, will still not be good enough. And I read Haunted's imagery as a wider social commentary about what we fear, rather than a particularized commentary about different paths that one can take in the industry.

One thing you might find interesting about Blue is that the full carnival outfit she was wearing, and later seen in parts of the video with various other people wearing it, was a reference to Iemanjá, one of the Afro-Brazilian Orixás who is held to be an embodiment of motherhood. I thought it was a neat bit of symbolism and explains why she was wearing that outfit, seemingly apropos of nothing.

Oh, and I'd also like to mention that you got the scores wrong on Haunted, Blow, No Angel, **Flawless, Mine, XO, and Mine. Please fix these, or Beyoncé and her magical scarves will judge you:

i2bsLIUu8zBnr.gif

Majmun

Entertainment Weekly: 10 Best Music Performances of 2013

9. Miley Cyrus at the AMAs

4. Taylor Swift's Red Tour

1. Beyoncé Runs the World
There are pop stars, and then there are the supernovas: performers so powerful they create their own force fields, leaving a trail of crackling kilowatts in their wake. Exhibit A: Sure, the blackout that plunged New Orleans' Superdome into darkness after her Super Bowl XLVII halftime show may have been a coincidence, but we know better; her utter command of one of TV's biggest audiences ever — some 110 million — was the takeaway story of the night. (The Ravens won, you say?) Exhibit B: Her Mrs. Carter Show World Tour, which raked in more than $100 million despite the absence of a promised fifth studio album because... Exhibit C: Oh yeah, she was just going to drop that (excellent) self-titled album on Dec. 13 with zero warning and own the pop culture conversation all over again.

Where are the lies
ibqxvPRyDxXejC.gif

Bladenic

Well.

I had planned on responding to a few posts on the previous page, but then 'scribe had to go and do that. Well done.

I would still like to mention that Leona is entirely right and Everything I Do slays a bit.

'scribe, it was an interesting read. I'm not sure that I agree with your interpretation of some of the songs - I didn't read Pretty Hurts as a personal statement that she has benefited from these beauty standards - which doesn't seem to be a particularly striking admission, for instance. I thought of it as a criticism of the notion of judging women's worth by their appearance, and by showing her (fictionalized, but still relatable) struggles, helps to indicate that there are no real "winners" in this scheme; even women who win in the game of appropriate femininity will still have something wrong with them, will still not be good enough. And I read Haunted's imagery as a wider social commentary about what we fear, rather than a particularized commentary about different paths that one can take in the industry.

One thing you might find interesting about Blue is that the full carnival outfit she was wearing, and later seen in parts of the video with various other people wearing it, was a reference to Iemanjá, one of the Afro-Brazilian Orixás who is held to be an embodiment of motherhood. I thought it was a neat bit of symbolism and explains why she was wearing that outfit, seemingly apropos of nothing.

Oh, and I'd also like to mention that you got the scores wrong on Haunted, Blow, No Angel, **Flawless, Mine, XO, and Mine. Please fix these, or Beyoncé and her magical scarves will judge you:

i2bsLIUu8zBnr.gif

You have Mine twice, is it because you really LOVE it?

Majmun

Let me rate BEYONCÉ

Pretty Hurts B+
Ghost A
Haunted A
Drunk in Love A+
Blow A
No Angel A+
Yoncé B+
Partition A+
Jealous A
Rocket A
Mine A+
XO A
***Flawless A
Superpower A
Heaven C
Blue C

Majmun

Heaven and Blue don't fit the album imo. Everything up until those two tracks sounds great and fresh. The last two tracks sound so dusty in comparison. Not a fan.

Trigger

Heaven and Blue don't fit the album imo. Everything up until those two tracks sounds great and fresh. The last two tracks sound so dusty in comparison. Not a fan.

I like that the album ends with Blue. It's a simpler end to an album filled with complex and interesting songs.

OchreHand

I think the scores represent an assessment of both the song and video.

While Bey looks flawless in the video, it had no impact when I watched it, especially considering how wildly atmospheric the song is.

I guess so... but I think it's a terrific song, and something I would have never expected Beyonce to put out. If I had to criticize the video I wish it was less glamorous and more raw. Personally I'd given an A- for the song but a B for the video.

royalan

Great review, Soul-sis!!! About where I would score the tracks (except some are too high and Blow is too low). <3<3<3

AND WAIT

Just finished listening to Leona Lewis' Christinamas album (which was amazing, btw), and I let Spotify keep going right on into Echo...

HOW AM I GETTING MY LIFE RIGHT NOW!?!?!?!?

Fly Here Now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mumei

KPopGAF off-topicness:

The steam pressedness of Park Bom stans commenting on this video is quite entertaining. It reminds me of the indignation of Xtina stans a few years back.

What would you rate Drunk in Love, Blow, Mine, ***Flawless, Haunted, and Partition? My faves.

Um.

B+, A, B+, A, A, B+

I guess. I don't really have a system for giving grades to things so those are basically pulled out of thin air without having listened to them again first.

I was not claiming that was my tree btw.

i65q1Cw3010Yp.gif

That was your tree. Don't try these lies.

botty

Banned
Soulscribe said:
Partition - SCORE: A+

Ignoring your superpower grade, this is really good *.*

Partition is my fave off the album. It's been repeating on the radio all day, along with Drunk in Love.

Mumei

Wait

Who is that Ailee chick they keep referencing in the video?

She was slaying.

Ailee is pretty good. Someone linked this pre-debut performance of hers in one of the earlier PopGAF topics, actually. She can definitely slay on the right songs / in the right range.

She's not quite SoHyang tier, though. She starts to have issues above Eb5, mostly excessive tension, and she doesn't have the same openness or resonance below that, either. I still think of her as being on the second tier of pop music vocalists, though, which isn't bad at all.

Bladenic

Ignoring your superpower grade, this is really good *.*

Partition is my fave off the album. It's been repeating on the radio all day, along with Drunk in Love.

Yes. Stan the best two songs on the album. It's been the same for me, along with a few Mine and Blow plays.

Ailee is pretty good. Someone linked this pre-debut performance of hers in one of the earlier PopGAF topics, actually. She can definitely slay on the right songs / in the right range.

She's not quite SoHyang tier, though. She starts to have issues above Eb5, mostly excessive tension, and she doesn't have the same openness or resonance below that, either. I still think of her as being on the second tier of pop music vocalists, though, which isn't bad at all.
Mumei, grab your tissues.

You can interpret that either way :-3

naughty slut

OMG that flawless transition into head voice and then back at 1:44!

royalan

LEONA

WHY THE HELL HAVE YOU NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BEST KEPT SECRET?!?!?!?!?

I had no idea that Leona had an album full of Retro 90s Brandy/Monica-esque BOPS.

I'm on Ready to Get Down and YAAASSSSS!!!

LEONA

WHY THE HELL HAVE YOU NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BEST KEPT SECRET?!?!?!?!?

I had no idea that Leona had an album full of Retro 90s Brandy/Monica-esque BOPS.

I'm on Ready to Get Down and YAAASSSSS!!!
lol get your life roy

Check out Twilight, it's my second-fave album from her.

EDIT: Oh, and I Wanna Be That Girl >>>>>>>>

KPopGAF off-topicness:

The steam pressedness of Park Bom stans commenting on this video is quite entertaining. It reminds me of the indignation of Xtina stans a few years back.

"vocal imitation of a sheep experiencing orgasm" did it lie though?
I am still not here for Pork Bun and her Cheep Cheep lookin face

What the FUCK is this? Blue is incredibly fresh. It's probably the only sentimental song about a child that's actually good. The tempo change after the first chorus alone is life changing, one of the best moments on the album.

royalan

lol get your life roy

Check out Twilight, it's my second-fave album from her.

Seriously, what's the story behind this album? Because I have never heard of it, and each and every track is giving me 90s-flavored LIFE right now. She should do more music like this.

Is this something she did before X-Factor?

Seriously, what's the story behind this album? Because I have never heard of it, and each and every track is giving me 90s-flavored LIFE right now. She should do more music like this.

Is this something she did before X-Factor?
Yeah, she recorded Best Kept Secret in 2003 (Twilight was around 2005).

Syco tried to block the album's release, but they had no legal standing to do so.

So in a classy move of epic proportions, her old label graciously released it on the same day Echo dropped to confuse customers :-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom