• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
innM3Dl3Oh3de.gif

I remember when your head caught flame
It kissed your scalp and caressed your brain
(I remember when your head caught flame)
Well you laughed, baby it's okay
It's buzzcut season anyway
(Well you laughed, baby it's okay)

Explosions on TV
And all the girls with heads inside a dream
So now we live beside the pool
Where everything is good

ic1y0vh0S7awj.gif

Mary J Blige is everything. Her 90's run is damn near flawfree. My Life > Mary > Share My World > The Tour

tumblr_my1cyaoOBk1skh9u5o1_400.gif

Her entire career is the best evolution I have ever heard. I don't have one bad Mary album I can honestly say I don't like. From her debut all the way to her most recent are all good. Her consistency is like wow. I love that she always shouts out her fans and gives love to her fans for her success. Made me tear up a little. And when she takes it to church...

Laaaaawwwwwwwwwwdddddddddd

dancing-in-church-o.gif

He has an album and movie out??

It's remarkable how Justin Bieber news would never make its way to me if I didn't come around here. lol

^ Imma try :p

There's a few songs on BTW I really like. Americano, Bloody Mary, Bad Kids, Highway Unicorn (#justiceforhighwayunicorn), Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel. I think the problem with it is my same as with ARTPOP, it just sounds too unpolished and unfinished in places.

There's not a single song on The Fame Monster which is just straight-up bad. The worst you can say is that Gaga's written better (So Happy I Could Die, Teeth, Speechless). But BTW, to me, sounds so much like ideas from TFM reheated and diluted. I don't really think the album is doing much that TFM didn't do, and in most cases, better.

I think I'm probably way too harsh on BTW, like with ARTPOP (and with most albums that I constantly trash). BTW is a good album.

BUT, TFM is really, really good, all in part because Bad Romance is one of the best pop songs ever written. Bad Romance, I honestly think, is strong enough on its own to guarantee that TFM is better than BTW.

The lyrics are the best Gaga has ever written (notably, there's no heavily forced references or naff attempts at wordplay—the pun on bad romance, and the double entendre nature of the entire lyrical content of the song is just there, it's not laboured on, your attention isn't drawn to it; the lyrics are straightforward but striking [I want you ugly, I want your disease/I want your everything as long as it's free]). The melody is astonishingly catchy all the way through and there are some serious sing-along-belt-it-out lyrics (too many to repeat them all: virtually the whole song invites drunken belting).

The production is absolutely perfectly on-point. One example; when the second chorus kicks in and there's the extra synth boop boop boop boop playing along on each beat—it's small but it's the kind of perfectly placed production that truly, perfectly elevates a song. It ensures that the song is just barrelling along with a kind of unstoppable pop force, you don't get bored, the energy never fizzles out. Another: the synth screams during "I want your love/Love love love/I want your love". The off-beat, sycopated, jaunt of the whole song, the punching, marching rhythm of the drum beat.

Bad Romance is literally perfect from start to finish. It's the kind of pop song that even the snobbiest Real Music Lovers can't help but admit is a damn good song, which is a big clue that it's transcendentally great pop music (another example: Toxic). It's the kind of song that's so good that even a reheated, warmed over facsimile (Nicole Scherzinger's Poison) slays. My mind reels that not everybody agrees that it's by far and away Gaga's best song, because it strikes me that it's by so much her best song that it's not even close.

I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

Makes sense. Bad Romance was a well-timed titan and I suppose it deserves to elevate TFM to where it is in people's minds. Do I think it's her best song? Not by a long shot, but I think it came at the perfect time and resonated really well because of it. I think it's the best "entry level" song into Gaga's portfolio because I think it captures most of the tropes she uses every time. I do wonder how BTW would have been received if it wasn't so bloated though... as an album it suffers because it's so large but most people would easily say that it has some of Gaga's all time highs.

JohnDoe

Banned
Why did Beyonce sample the audio from the Challenger Disaster for the beginning of XO?

Interpretation by RapGenius:

The famous line by the NASA PR announcer Steve Nesbitt shortly after the explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger on 28th January 1986.

The significance of this line in context with the song is probably referring to Bey and Jay’s relationship. Some may think it’s a way to advance their careers instead of being genuinely in love.

The flight controllers are the naysayers. They’re looking very carefully at the situation and scrutinizing them, trying to analyze every little thing the do. Obviously a major malfunction are naysayers still think they are not in love and them together must be a mistake.

Interesting...

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I've got 5 more nights until you're next to me
4 more days of being lonely
3 more wishes I can barely breathe
If I can make it to Christmas Eve then it's

One more sleep
(One more sleep until it's Christmas)
One more sleep
(Can't believe how much I missed us)
One more sleep
(One more sleep until it's Christmas)

Merry Christmas GAFPOP
ib1FY05ePXqkn0.gif

Partition

Banned
I'm sorry, but, what?

That makes no sense to me.

Because it doesn't.

If anything, ARTPOP is the TFM sister, as Gaga herself described it's sound.

I'm really #done with how overrated TFM is though. I really don't get it, and I'm a Gaga stan. The only truly perfect tracks are Alejandro and SHICD. I never listen to Bad Romance (the chorus is overkill) outside it's video, Telephone was never good, Monster is nothing special, DITD is missed potential, and Teeth and Speechless are almost just borderline bad.

I guess it's praise comes from it probably having the best choruses in her discography. Though even those have such a transparent shtick with the repetition gimmick found in 6/8 tracks.

BTW is her only album which can stand on it's own and sets itself apart from the rest. It has the best production, most inventive choruses, and a solid theme and set of ideas that are actually easy to comprehend. Even if it has lower lows than TFM, it accomplishes so much more artistically than TFM ever did for her.

Because it doesn't.

I'm really #done with how overrated TFM is though. I really don't get it, and I'm a Gaga stan. The only truly perfect tracks are Alejandro and SHICD. I never listen to Bad Romance (the chorus is overkill) outside it's video, Telephone was never good, Monster is nothing special, DITD is missed potential, and Teeth and Speechless are almost just borderline bad.

I guess it's praise comes from it probably having the best choruses in her discography. Though even those have such a transparent shtick with the repetition gimmick found in 6/8 tracks.

BTW is her only album which can stand on it's own and sets itself apart from the rest. It has the best production, most inventive choruses, and a solid theme and set of ideas that are actually easy to comprehend. Even if it has lower lows than TFM, it accomplishes so much more artistically than TFM ever did for her.

I just want to throw this entire post on NeoGAF Shitposts.

Qazaq

Banned
Because it doesn't.

Absolutely. I think Born This Way is a fantastic album. The diversity, the inventiveness, the sound, the themes, the cohesiveness, it's fantastic.

Because it doesn't.

ilxV9cb5I1CVm.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
You're here where you should be
Snow is falling as the carolers sing
It just wasn't the same
Alone on Christmas day
Presents, what a beautiful sight
Don't mean a thing if you ain't holding me tight
You're all that I need
Underneath the tree

Slay, Kellegend :'(

Yado

I think it's just that none of Gaga's albums age well. As much as I like Artpop I'm sure it's going to suffer the same fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom