• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

Hmm.

avq8o7ddo1b.gif

Always doing the most with those constipated facials.
ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

Majmun

I think both are great actors. But I prefer Leto. He's a more versatile actor. The Playstation of actors imo.

Jake always has the same face and offers the same shit over and over again.. Reminds me of Nintendo tbh.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i've decided that BEYONCÉ is the best album a popgirl has ever released and that beyonce is the madonna and janet jackson of our generation

okah6rhlb6x.gif

BEYONCÉ really does feel like a cultural event in a way that a pop album rarely does...even otherwise fantastic albums like Godfessions, Blackout and The Fame Monster don't have what BEYONCÉ has done. It has already infiltrated pop culture...the number of celebrity tweets and instagrams I see now that reference SURFBORDT (the sweatshirt is this seasons must-have item), I been drinkin', I woke up like dis, etc. It has truly capture the popular imagination in a way that must have the lessors seething, pressed and jealous.

I do think that once the dust has settled and the fumes about the speed, extent and viciousness of the wig snatching that Beyoncé performed on the night of 13/12/13 have subsided, and the bald bitches learn to deal, BEYONCÉ will be regarded as a modern classic of pop.

are we sure that's not the graveyard's caretaking collecting the trash?

i've decided that BEYONCÉ is the best album a popgirl has ever released and that beyonce is the madonna and janet jackson of our generation

mM8ryR8.gif

k2uf0R7.gif

stole is a nice way of saying cleaned up.

BEYONCÉ really does feel like a cultural event in a way that a pop album rarely does...even otherwise fantastic albums like Godfessions, Blackout and The Fame Monster don't have what BEYONCÉ has done. It has already infiltrated pop culture...the number of celebrity tweets and instagrams I see now that reference SURFBORDT (the sweatshirt is this seasons must-have item), I been drinkin', I woke up like dis, etc. It has truly capture the popular imagination in a way that must have the lessors seething, pressed and jealous.

I do think that once the dust has settled and the fumes about the speed, extent and viciousness of the wig snatching that Beyoncé performed on the night of 13/12/14 have subsided, and the bald bitches learn to deal, BEYONCÉ will be regarded as a modern classic of pop.

Lessors are said to have found inspiration for their careers and maybe they even got pregnant surfbordting.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm fucking SCREAMING

this mashup is better than the original song:

LADY GAGA VS POKEMON THEME - APPLAUSE

[edit] i'm not even being shady here...it's actually a really great example of how a great backing track can bring something more to a melody...the only bit that's worse is the pre-chorus

I don't use Justin Timberlake that much but you could even imagine if he managed to pull a BEYONCE instead of doing all that 20/20 payola promo? If the long-awaited FS/LS followup just randomly appeared on iTunes when thirst for him was at its peak?
D5uJuyO.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't use Justin Timberlake that much but you could even imagine if he managed to pull a BEYONCE instead of doing all that 20/20 payola promo? If the long-awaited FS/LS followup just randomly appeared on iTunes when thirst for him was at its peak?
D5uJuyO.gif

Heh, I asked the same question a couple of weeks back
He would have easily of clocked 1.5m

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That goes without saying
Although I do still bop to Suit and tie occasionally

I do think that once the dust has settled and the fumes about the speed, extent and viciousness of the wig snatching that Beyoncé performed on the night of 13/12/14 have subsided, and the bald bitches learn to deal, BEYONCÉ will be regarded as a modern classic of pop.

are we sure that's not the graveyard's caretaking collecting the trash?

But where are the lies? Beyoncé impact is undeniable. The rest of the world can stay hairless.

tumblr_n0n98rr1Wj1qf454qo1_400.gif

OMG! That Pokemon Applause mash up is fire!! Dead at the vocals going all out at the end LMAO!

Yoshiya

today I've been getting so much life from rocket (GOD DAMN IT, I'M COMFORTABLE IN MY SKIN) and now that mashup is completely ending me

royalan

I don't think BEYONCE will be a timeless album, because the songs themselves aren't infectious enough.

I mean, yeah, people are saying "Surfboart!" now, but people were also saying "Shine Bright!" last year, and "Shake your laffy taffy!" a few years before that. It's easier now than ever to sloganize something; that alone isn't an indication of cultural longevity. I think that if the music on BEYONCE were going to achieve any sort of cultural significance, we'd see those having significance chart performance like 21 and even Emancipation of Mimi (which were chart BEASTS) tracks did. But BEYONCE tracks are not charting much better than any other typical hit single would.

As it is, people bought the album en masse because the world fell for Beysatan's gimmick release strategy (which is really the only thing this album will truly be remembered for). But the popularity of the music itself really only exists within the microcosm of ATRL/ONTD/Blogosphere/Pop Music Standom. And even most of those people are cognizant enough now to realize that, had Beyonce released this album in a standard way, nobody would really care because the album itself is boring and devoid of catchy hits, despite being surprisingly well-assembled.

That's the tea.

I don't think BEYONCE will be a timeless album, because the songs themselves aren't infectious enough.

I mean, yeah, people are saying "Surfboart!" now, but people were also saying "Shine Bright!" last year, and "Shake your laffy taffy!" a few years before that. It's easier now than ever to sloganize something; that alone isn't an indication of cultural longevity. I think that if the music on BEYONCE were going to achieve any sort of cultural significance, we'd see those having significance chart performance like 21 and even Emancipation of Mimi (which were chart BEASTS) tracks did. But BEYONCE tracks are not charting much better than any other typical hit single would.

As it is, people bought the album en masse because the world fell for Beysatan's gimmick release strategy (which is really the only thing this album will truly be remembered for). But the popularity of the music itself really only exists within the microcosm of ATRL/ONTD/Blogosphere/Pop Music Standom. And even most of those people are cognizant enough now to realize that, had Beyonce released this album in a standard way, nobody would really care because the album itself boring and devoid of catchy hits, despite being surprisingly well-assembled.

That's the tea.
no lie rly

It's a lot like Magna Carta Holy Grail - lots of noise, but little impact.

Not to say it isn't the best album I've heard in a long time, but I'm assessing its cultural significance separately from its (inestimable) quality. And literally not a single soul between the ages of 5 and 95 (to channel Iwata) is still talking about the album.

And Partition still isn't on Spotify. fail mess

DMeisterJ

Banned

As it is, people bought the album en masse because the world fell for Beysatan's gimmick release strategy (which is really the only thing this album will truly be remembered for). But the popularity of the music itself really only exists within the microcosm of ATRL/ONTD/Blogosphere/Pop Music Standom. And even most of those people are cognizant enough now to realize that, had Beyonce released this album in a standard way, nobody would really care because the album itself is boring and devoid of catchy hits, despite being surprisingly well-assembled.

That's the tea.

!

Drag the delusions !

People give this album too much credit. There are catchy tunes here or there, but when your fave constantly puts out hits, you have a better ear for songs that have cultural influence or impact, and BEYONCE has none. Drunk in Love is big now, because it's smashing on the radio (but not iTunes, poor mess just got certified plat after three months), but will it be what she's remembered for, or will she have ushered in a new era of music by releasing it? Nah.

Impact is when you release a song and the whole industry takes notice and starts to morph around that sound. As much as you guys hate on the Queen, Rihanna, WFL was a song that had IMPACT. It ushered in a whole era of copycat singers and singles trying to emulate the sound that Calvin and Rihanna so eloquently put together in her single. The dance-pop era is long dead now (See: ARTPOP sales), but when you think of that era and the song that best encapsulates it, you think of WFL. Not because it's the most successful, but because so many songs derived their sound from it. Nevermind it having the impact to launch a career of a relative nobody into success.

As it stands, DriL is a great song to listen to for the time being.

royalan

It's a lot like Magna Carta Holy Grail - lots of noise, but little impact.

This really is the best way to put it.

Impact is when you release a song and the whole industry takes notice and starts to morph around that sound.

And this, in a nutshell.

BEYONCE's not really a trend-setting album (outside of its release). It makes a production of embracing pretty much every Urban/Pop trend of the moment, and as such it's not really an album that's going to change the sound of Pop in the same way Rihanna does seemingly without even trying. It's an album very "of its time."

But this isn't really a diss of Beyonce, because in my mind she's never really been a trend-setting artist. She's just not musical enough...or culturally in-tune...or forward-thinking...or smart. Beyonce's strength, to me, has always been in observing the Pop music scene, and then swooping in like a lacefronted vulture to pick at the carcasses of the most relevant trends, then lacquering them with a thick coating of polish and voluptuous diva antics. This is why pretty much EVERYTHING she does can be traced back to a youtube video. She's not the diva you look to for something new; she's the diva you look to for the old done really well. This is why her "experimental" album (4) is such a pile of shit, and why B'Day is her best album. BEYONCE trends closer to B'Day than 4, which is a good thing - it's just held back by Beyonce taking herself way too seriously these days.

Partition

Banned
!

Drag the delusions !

People give this album too much credit. There are catchy tunes here or there, but when your fave constantly puts out hits,

Or maybe someone could be known, for you know, quality? Madonna surely didnt have the slew of hits that Rihanna had, but there is a reason she is so respected. Your argument could apply towards Katy too, who is getting even more hits than Rihanna since 2011.

Ties

Banned
Or maybe someone could be known, for you know, quality? Madonna surely didnt have the slew of hits that Rihanna had, but there is a reason she is so respected. Your argument could apply towards Katy too, who is getting even more hits than Rihanna since 2011.
Madonna has 8 Grammy Awards

Rihanna has 7 Grammy Awards.

Katy Perry has 0 Grammy Awards

Bebé, fuck outta here with that "quality" bullshit.

tumblr_n1ywweMb8c1rvut8go4_r1_400.gif

It's easy to have impact when you latch onto easily digestible sounds. Never has Rihanna changed the pop landscape in a way that didn't seem like a natural progression given how things were before. WFL smashed and people copied her? Wow. Let's praise Katy Perry's iconic impact for spawning Domino and American Girl. Legend, imo.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It's easy to have impact when you latch onto easily digestible sounds. Never has Rihanna changed the pop landscape in a way that didn't seem like a natural progression given how things were before. WFL smashed and people copied her? Wow. Let's praise Katy Perry's iconic impact for spawning Domino and American Girl. Legend, imo.

So easy to have impact yet Beyonce has none. The self-clock

Yes Beyonce had a great album but let's put things into perspective.

jvFIkFG5wy109.jpg

K? Bye.

I love you Touch but guess what? Mariah has all that and doesn't sit on it while she continues to make a fool out of herself with flop ass songs and albums. She needs to sit and be a LEGEND. Throw out a single here and there but as her SINGLE artist years she was undeniably powerful. While Bey was Destiny Child, she never had the opportunity to until now. So there really isn't any comparison. Madonna is who you should really be comparing it too.

He fave'd it.

ibxvMA4CLfJKTf.gif

I'm super PRESSED right now... Not her V getting what my V can only dream about. Fuck her lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom