• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
The politics of Rihanna’s hair: Her AMA do was a powerful form of resistance

The rest is at the link. Thoughts? Reading too much into it? I've never really thought of Rihanna as that sort of girl, myself.

I think they're reading too much into it. During an era when Lady Gaga can wear dirt and ride around on a giant mechanical horse, what is the true significance of Rih wearing a doobie? All kinds of weird things happen on red carpets in regards to fashion, and this is no different. It doesn't seem like a statement, but more, "I think this looks good and fits the style I want so I'm going to wear it."

botty

Banned
Rihanna just didn't care. She seems like she has been over this era for a while, and so I wasn't surprised that she turned up to another award show looking both casual and beautiful. It did give me a flashback to these three girls in my high school that would always get doobies together, and one would have white pins, while the others just had the regular black ones.

💂

Mau ®

URBAN
17 +1 LORDE Royals 1549 +59 418 -1 11.095 +0.363

Not URBAN getting their life from Lorde.

The NEW MULTIFORMAT QUEEN!!

They're probably playing The Weeknd remix but still yasss Ella slay!

I wouldn't put it past Rihanna to go with a doobie "look" as some kind of fashion statement. She seems to have been positioning herself as a kind of "ratchet queen" variant in the pop scene and especially this era she's made strides away from clean-cut fashionista and more toward this kind of sultry girl from the block with a lazy swagger. It works for her.

Also her performance style is so slow-motion that she always looks like she just rolled out of bed, so the doobie works in that context.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
slay a bit
justice for artpop

Man, do ya'll think that the pop girls in general now can't move albums? If even Gaga can't muster 300K.. I feel like she was the resident album seller outside of Taylor Swift (though the latter is a special case since she holds capital in a genre that actually sells albums) but I have a feeling the public is only using these pop girls for singles now.

Let's wait for Beyonce and see what happens. lol

Man, do ya'll think that the pop girls in general now can't move albums? If even Gaga can't muster 300K.. I feel like she was the resident album seller outside of Taylor Swift (though the latter is a special case since she holds capital in a genre that actually sells albums) but I have a feeling the public is only using these pop girls for singles now.

Let's wait for Beyonce and see what happens. lol

Hmm...I think Gaga was a special case. I feel as though people are getting sick and tired of her and her antics and stuff like that, so they're more drawn towards more traditional artists like Taylor. It's unfortunate, ARTPOP is amazing.

Plus I don't think the whole issue with picking a single helped Gaga at ALL. I imagine this sales dip will be for ARTPOP only. She'll make her comeback.

I'm not sure why I didn't feel Elastic Heart before, but I'm obsessed with it now. The whole soundtrack is amazing.

Devil May Cry is jusT

97.1 just played Standing on the Sun.

It sounded different.
Worse.

jay.gif

Mumei

I think it was probably much more of a fashion statement than a political one.

This is what I meant when I said I don't think she's that sort of girl; I mean the sort of girl who tries to make subtle political commentary through her hair or sartorial choices that could be read by black audiences and would fly past the radar of white audiences.

Full tracks from Christmas With Love streaming

Leona on "Ave Maria"
"A lot of people don't know that I'm classically trained and that's the first thing that I ever did," Lewis told Digital Spy.

"I really thought that was the market I was going to head towards, because I didn't sing contemporary music until I was in my teens.

"That was the foundation of my singing, so it was cool to be able to actually sing like that because on my previous records I haven't been able to do that."

"Mr. Right" is track of the year material.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
And then there was that time I had forgotten I'd entered the presale lottery on LittleMonsters.com because, really, who uses that website...but then randomly just got an email with a presale code for the latest Gaga concert at Roseland Ballroom.

2 tickets are mine. :D I don't even have anyone to go with me. I might just sell that second ticket for way more than the $50 I paid for it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
BRINTY JOHN

FLOP or BOP?
Troll-Cuntemisia Tribute Edition

Britney_Jean.png

Alien -
Gmc2ndn.gif

Work Bitch -
Gmc2ndn.gif

Perfume -
market_115_1335904579.gif

It Should Be Easy -

Tik Tik Boom -
Gmc2ndn.gif

Body Ache -

Til It's Gone -
Gmc2ndn.gif

Passenger -
Gmc2ndn.gif

Chillin' With You -

Don't Cry -

There's a few bops but it's pretty mixed.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
At this point she just should've released a digital EP of songs to hold people over. Some of that shit is all over the internet anyway. If she was smart, she'd make some money off of it and stay relevant.

Qazaq

Banned
HOW DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO REALIZE I HAD THE UNLISTENED-TO GEM OF ALL TOO WELL ON RED?!

WELL YOU CALLED ME UP AGAIN LAST NIGHT JUST TO BREAK ME LIKE A PROMISE
So CASUALLY CRUEL in the NAME OF BEIN HONEST
I'm a cumpleduppieceofpaper lyin here
Cause I remember it aaaaahaaaall
Aaaahaaaall
Aaaahaaaaall

Too well

HOW DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO REALIZE I HAD THE UNLISTENED-TO GEM OF ALL TOO WELL ON RED?!

Aaaahaaaall
Aaaahaaaaall

Too well

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS STAN HER BEST SONG TO DATE

I'M GETTING MY LIFE FROM THIS POST RN

iZP2LbEglpQ6j.gif

Trigger

At this point she just should've released a digital EP of songs to hold people over. Some of that shit is all over the internet anyway. If she was smart, she'd make some money off of it and stay relevant.

This makes too much sense so it'll never happen.

Aaaahaaaall
Aaaahaaaaall

Too well

Yassss

All Too Well is beautiful.

Zutroy

Two headlights shine through the sleepless night
And I will get you, and get you alone!
Your name has echoed through my mind
And I just think you should, think you should know!
That nothing safe is worth the drive and I would
Follow you, follow you home...
I'll follow you, follow you home...

We're drivin' down the road
I wonder if you know
I'm tryin' so hard not to get caught up now
But you're just so cool
Run your hands through your hair
Absent mindedly makin' me want you

And I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me head first
Fearless
And I don't know why but with you I'd dance in a storm in my best dress
Fearless

I've been listening to this on repeat all day

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Begin Again isn't a bad song, don't get me wrong. I just listened to it WAY too much when it was first released on iTunes, so I'm sort of over it. SBT is the only one that starts and I'm like, "Mmm, yeah, no thanks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom