• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's mid year GOTY Awards - 2024 Edition

What's your GOTY so far?

• Final Fantasy 7

Votes: 70 38.9%
  • Hellblade 2

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Rise Of Ronin

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Stellar Blade

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • Helldivers 2

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • Dragons Dogma 2

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Tekken 8

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Suicide Squad

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Prince Of Persia

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Bollataro?

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Alone in the Dark

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We are six months in, and there have been several big AAA titles released already. FF7, Dragons Dogma 2, and Helldivers headlining what has been a rather lackluster year for me at least. But what does GAF think?

I can update the poll to add more games if I missed something.

I personally didn't like anything that much. Last year RE4, Star Wars Jedi Survivor and ToTK blew me away but this year's big games just made me angry playing them. FF7 was too much mini games, hellblade 2 was too much walking, SS was too repetitive, and Dragons Dogma 2 had that jank I only expect from euro RPGs. Brothers remake was the most fun i had playing games this year but its a copy pasta remake with updated graphics. Other than that, the TLOU2 dlc mode was fun, but ultimately too barebones. Haven't played Rise of Ronin so that might be the one game that clicks with me.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
8Uidx9t.jpeg

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve not played any of them and it’s a really underwhelming list of games based on what I have seen. Voted for Helldivers because it looked to be gameplay focused.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Out of that list, it's Dragon's Dogma 2.

Playing on PC I was able to have a smooth experiencie always above the 60fps. Exploration was fine enough even with the lack of actual dungeons, the combat is an absolute thrill and some quests were pretty cool.

Still disappointed in it, sure, but I can't deny I had a lot of fun with it.

I could vote to SMT V2 too, but it's not on the list. :lollipop_tongue:

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely Balatro for me so far. The second best game I’ve played is probably the Paper Mario TTYD remaster.

I did not enjoy Hellblade 2 at all.

Granblue Fantasy Relink, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Dragon's Dogma 2, Stellar Blade, and Tekken 8 are all good games but RE7 Rebirth takes the crown for me, even if I've put more hours into Helldivers 2 and Dragon's Dogma 2 (mods bring a lot of replayability to it. There are mods that let you create your own vocation already).

Objectively, FF7 Rebirth is in a tier of its own in terms of quality, story (got that JRPG flavor that many won't like), loveable and iconic cast, gameplay, and content. Not everyone loves the ending but this is like a love letter from the devs to every fan of FF7.

I had Tekken 8 pegged as the winner early on but the post-release microtransaction store, Killmonger start screen, and bad moveset changes to favorite characters like Kazuya and Lee have soured my outlook. For me it is Alone In The Dark. I love the narrated notes, most of the voice acting (excluding David Harbour in Carnby campaign), jazzy soundtrack, atmosphere, and replayable short campaign. Playing New Game+ with Emily and acquiring the secret ending is what I want from a horror game. I am a bit disappointed about how tanky bugs and how numerous final boss spawns are on Hard/New Game+ are though.
1106c49f5261459e68f98b8cb03d58f1872b8c6180ed7431.jpg

P.S. Rise of the Ronin would probably be a contender had it released on PC.

Last edited:

Rockman33

After seeing that list it really makes me realize how weak this year has been. At least for my taste.

Where is Palworld? Probably had more fun playing that then anything else on the list. Picked Prince of Persia. But I don’t even think Prince was amazing.

Last edited:
Anyone voting for Hellblade 2, you'll get a kick out of something called Netflix. Check it out sometime! You don't even have to hold up.

ssringo

While I'd hesitate to call any of the big games I've play bad, Stellar Blade is the only one that wasn't a disappointment.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That is a pretty weak ass list. Helldivers 2 was the best out of the ones I’ve played, but none of those are the kind of GotY tier stuff that gets me excited about gaming.

Honestly kinda sad for a console generation beginning its 4th year. Isn’t this when they’re supposed to really be firing on all cylinders?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hellblade for me, followed by Ghost of Tsushima on PC.

Over the second half of the year I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XVI on PC, Avowed, STALKER 2, and maybe Silent HIll 2 and Metal Gear Solid Delta.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

FF 7 Rebirth is the only one I played on the list and so far it's fucking amazing. 50 hours in so not done yet but I'm not surprised if it ends up as my GOTY.

Hudo

Game of the year (so far): Unicorn Overlord
Disappointment of the year (so far): Homeworld 3
Surprise of the year (so far): Slave Zero X
OST of the year (so far): Persona 3 Reload
Waifu of the year (so far): Leda's Sword (Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree)

Pejo

Sadly I was hoping it'd be Dragon's Dogma 2, but it isn't. Strange that they dropped the ball so hard on it, there was significantly more Dragon's Dogma hype than ever, before and the game came out. Then it released with a nickle and dime DLC bonanza, performance issues, and reused.. everything. The hype completely evaporated. Wish I knew what Itsuno was thinking. I was hoping we'd hear about a DLC expansion by now but it's been silent.

For me SMTVengeance and Stellar Blade are tied so far. I've been enjoying the First Descendant too, but I have no illusions that it's anything more than a competent looter shooter grindfest slop game. I just happen to have not played one in a while so it's been a nice little relax and zone out type grind.

XXL

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Game of the year (so far): Unicorn Overlord
Disappointment of the year (so far): Homeworld 3
Surprise of the year (so far): Slave Zero X
OST of the year (so far): Persona 3 Reload
Waifu of the year (so far): Leda's Sword (Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree)
I just bought the Homeworld Collection on Steam. It sounds like the right move over Homeworld 3. I've never tried them before and I'm excited to try them out in the near future.

Hudo

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

I just bought the Homeworld Collection on Steam. It sounds like the right move over Homeworld 3. I've never tried them before and I'm excited to try them out in the near future.
Homeworld 1 especially is one of the best real-time strategy games ever made. Homeworld 2 is solid as well (there are some gameplay changes that may or may not be your cup of tea. I like both games).
Also, if you have the chance: Get Homeworld Cataclysm/Emergence. It's a cool take on Homeworld 1. More horror vibes. I dig it. It's not included in the remastered collection because the source code was lost.
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is underrated. Easily the best Dune game ever made.

Homeworld 3 looks great, has great atmosphere and the rogue-like mode is fun. But they really botched the campaign and story... like really botched it. Wait for a sale, like maybe $15 or so, if you are really interested.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I didn’t realize the first half of this year was so boring, damn.

Is that Banishers game any good? Couldn't tell from the demo. haha.

Banishers and Outcast are probably the two most overlooked games this year so far and I loved Outcast.

Top Bottom