• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's mid year GOTY Awards - 2024 Edition

What's your GOTY so far?

• Final Fantasy 7

Votes: 70 38.9%
  • Hellblade 2

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Rise Of Ronin

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Stellar Blade

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • Helldivers 2

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • Dragons Dogma 2

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Tekken 8

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Suicide Squad

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Prince Of Persia

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Bollataro?

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Alone in the Dark

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Pedro Motta

Played some great things this year already, FF7 Rebirth, Elden Ring DLC, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Animal Well.

Most of them I've put more than 100 hours in.

For now, between FF7 and Erdtree.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've played almost none of those except hellblade 2 and that was boring as hell. I've just started rebirth and I'm sure that will be good.

T4keD0wN

Suicide Squad and Hellblade 2?
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Does this year suck so far if more than half of the games listed seem mid (5/10) at best by my tastes.

Last edited:
Length of the content is irrelevant. It's still DLC and not a new game release. Maybe they should have released it as a stand-alone game then.
bullshit.
Pretty much the whole industry treated this as a major release and deservedly so.
Your are suffering from a major case of
DpQ9YJl_thumb.png

Last edited:

GrayChild

Shadow of the Erdtree and it's not even close.

They basically made Elden Ring 2, locked it behind two of the most difficult bosses in the original game, and sold it for just 40 bucks instead of 70. That's absolutely insane!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yeah, if I include games from other years my GOTY would be As Dusk Falls on PS5. That game really hit me narratively and I think it’s a hidden gem. Masterful storytelling and visuals.

Pentiment is up there as well.

I mean, Ive played others that came out this year (though not fully aside from Banishers) and I cant help it man. Hi Fi is the best Ive experienced. Then Stellar Blade.

And I gotta say, it's a rare fucking occurrence when my fav two games of the year are masterclass character action games. Not usually the way I roll at all.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Voted for Helldivers 2. It was pure, unadulterated, chaotic fun. My GOTY so far.

I think Astrobot might take the crown later this year.

DKPOWPOW

The lack of Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is absurd.

On this list I have played 2 games, Helldivers 2 and Tekken 8.

I have enjoyed Tekken quite a bit but, it is not Game of the Year. If I had to guess it would be Infinite Wealth, but I have to finish the 1st one before I settle into Gloriousness.

Prince of Persia seems like a strong contender from the little I have seen. Next on my to buy list. Everything else here… eh. Too much from last year (and the years before) to play.

I think later this year Warhammer, Astro Bot, and Brothership will be contenders.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

The lack of Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is absurd.

On this list I have played 2 games, Helldivers 2 and Tekken 8.

I have enjoyed Tekken quite a bit but, it is not Game of the Year. If I had to guess it would be Infinite Wealth, but I have to finish the 1st one before I settle into Gloriousness.

Prince of Persia seems like a strong contender from the little I have seen. Next on my to buy list. Everything else here… eh. Too much from last year (and the years before) to play.

I think later this year Warhammer, Astro Bot, and Brothership will be contenders.
If you like metroidvanias and action/adventure games, the new PoP is a must play

Borowski_1

Sounds like you haven't played it. It's quality through and through with great gameplay. With ~6 nominees, I can see it happening.

I'm a couple hours in

FF VII, Yakuza, Dragon's Dogma 2, Animal Well, Balatro and Prince of Persia are stronger contenders

Also with Astro Bot, Zelda and Indiana Jones coming? I just don't see it

I'm a couple hours in

FF VII, Yakuza, Dragon's Dogma 2, Animal Well, Balatro and Prince of Persia are stronger contenders

Also with Astro Bot, Zelda and Indiana Jones coming? I just don't see it

I'd bet some of those don't make it. I wouldn't be surprised if dragons dogma got left off or the indies, or even helldivers 2 being MP only.
I don't think Yakuza has ever been on there. Rebirth, Astrobot and Zelda are probably a lock though for 3 of the spots.

Roxkis_ii

For me, it's between Stellar Blade and Nine Sols.

The irony is I never used the parry mechanic in games, but Stella Blade tought me and Nine Sols helped me sharpen my parry skills.

Top Bottom