• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's mid year GOTY Awards - 2024 Edition

What's your GOTY so far?

• Final Fantasy 7

Votes: 70 38.9%
  • Hellblade 2

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Rise Of Ronin

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Stellar Blade

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • Helldivers 2

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • Dragons Dogma 2

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Tekken 8

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Suicide Squad

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Prince Of Persia

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Bollataro?

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • Alone in the Dark

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Fbh

Gold Member
Shadow of the Erdtree so far.
I know it's a DLC but it's not my faul everyone else can't do full games as good as FROM DLC.

If we are only counting full releases then probably Unicorn Overlord.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This is year is so bad that I havent played any of the ones in the list lmao. Actually checking my stuff I have played exactly 0 games that have released this year(Erdtree excluded, its an expansion). Holy fuck, this may be the worst year ever in my opinion. Im waiting for a sale on Stellar Blade tho and theres a few games coming that I might be day one like Metaphor or Star Wars or Fronspunk 2 or Stalker 2 tho this may get delayed. Still, 4 games? Fucking yikes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is year is so bad that I havent played any of the ones in the list lmao. Actually checking my stuff I have played exactly 0 games that have released this year(Erdtree excluded, it’s an expansion). Holy fuck, this may be the worst year ever in my opinion. Im waiting for a sale on Stellar Blade tho and theres a few games coming that I might be day one like Metaphor or Star Wars or Fronspunk 2 or Stalker 2 tho this may get delayed. Still, 4 games? Fucking yikes.
For someone like me who likes JRPGs this year has been fantastic for me. I’m getting great JRPG back to back and still more to come.

Last edited:
i've played dragon's dogma 2 & alone in the dark, & even if I play nothing else for the rest of 2024, i can't really consider either one goty...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think I've really played a GOTY contender yet this year and I've bought more new games than I usually do. Of those listed in the OP I've played Tekken 8 the most. I play it with friends and I enjoy it. But it's just Tekken.

I got bored with Stellar Blade pretty fast. It's stylish but not too deep.

Suicide Squad was fun to play for a couple of days then it tapped out, but at least I didn't pay for that. A friend gifted me a copy so she wouldn't be playing alone.

Prince of Persia is pretty good but I felt like that loop got boring pretty fast.

I played Hellblade 2 on game pass and the voices were so annoying they gave me mental illness.

It's been pretty mediocre for me so far.

Rebirth is cleaning up and rightfully so.

I wonder what titles from now to the end of the year have the potential to make this more interesting. Maybe Astro Bot, Avowed, MGS, and Indiana Jones (probably a stretch) have a chance?

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Rebirth is cleaning up and rightfully so.

I wonder what titles from now to the end of the year have the potential to make this more interesting. Maybe Astro Bot, Avowed, MGS, and Indiana Jones (probably a stretch) have a chance?
2024 will be the year Elden Ring dlc came out.

Everything else is a blur, ff included.

SpiceRacz

This is probably my favorite game I’ve played so far this year:

7e3Y8fL.jpeg

This is probably my favorite game I’ve played so far this year:

7e3Y8fL.jpeg
This is my number 2 behind balatro. Insane OP didn't even list it. Awesome game, some of the most entertaining puzzles I've come across in awhile.

Also looking at the results on this poll, it's pretty funny that the top 2 games are Sony exclusive and the third game is hell divers 2 is a console exclusive. I swear all I ever see in this site, outside of the Xbox/MS bashing, is complaints about where the Sony "first party" games are at.

RickSanchez

i dont know if they count but i have had an absolute blast with the PC ports of Horizon Forbidden West and Ghost of Tsushima. So mid-year GotY for me is Horizon Forbidden West PC closely followed by Ghost of Tsushima PC

What? Mostly only doing AAA? Fuck...

Come on V Rising, we will go find a better poll... with blackjack... and hookers.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Jesb

I’ve only played two games released this year. So I can’t really make a pick so far. I’m surprised no rest for the wicked is not up there on anyone’s list. It’s something I really want to play eventually. I’m pretty big on horror games so I’m sure Alone in the dark could be there too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For someone like me who likes JRPGs this year has fantastic for me. I’m getting great JRPG back to back and still more to come.

It's genuinely been incredible and reignited my love for JRPGs. Didn't unicorn overlord launch this year as well?

What is this list.

Podge

Neo Member
I might sound insane, but the best experience I've had in a game so far this year was my first taste of the College Football 25 trial on Xbox Series S. Holy shit, they nailed it. I never play sports games anymore, but this year two of my top games are College Football 25 and MLB The Show 24. I created a knuckleball closer for RTTS on Xbox/Switch and got horribly addicted lol.

Here is my GOTY 2024 list so far. The way the winds are blowing in the industry, especially with Nintendo, I have a feeling this is going to be a much different list by the end of 2024.

1) EA College Football 25 - Xbox Series S
2) MLB The Show 25 - Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch
3) Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - PlayStation 5
4) Princess Peach: Showtime! - Nintendo Switch
5) Helldivers 2 - PlayStation 5

This has been a year where I have played a lot of older games. Also, I have discovered and fallen in love with shmups, particularly Cave shooters. So my GOTY for "New to Me" 2024 would be DoDonPachi Resurrection on Nintendo Switch.

Toots

Gold Member
FF7 rebirth seems like the sensible choice but i voted Rise of the Ronin because it deserves it also.

Ffvii Rebirth, Banishers and Shadow of the Erdtree are the best.
Also need to play Pacific Drive, The Thaumaturge and Alone in The Dark sometime this year.
Dropped Rise of Ronin as soon as SotE was out.

Top Bottom