• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF'S ultimate $500/£400/$650 CAD budget gaming rigs + bonus high end configs!

Abubakr said:
Too bad there is no microcenter in Canada, yet.

it was likely an extremely good deal, like a clearance thing at best buy where theres one left every 20 stores or something.

it had half the plastic ripped off of it, and the sticker said $389.99 so it was likely a really old return. The rep found it under the lowest locked door under all the motherboards in the back, next to about 10 bfg gts 250s they were selling for $150!

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
The GPU in my laptop decided to die while I was surfing the net last night, so I think I'm going to try to build my first PC.

It seems like several parts from the first page are not available or the package deal is gone. I'm posting this in this thread because every recommendation for parts came from this thread. I tried to stick to the OP as much as possible.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor
2. MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Package price is: $220 minus a $10 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.211637

3. RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

4. CASE: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

5. PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

6. HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

7. DVDRW: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

8. GPU: GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150387

Total: $714.69 - $45 in rebates = $669.69 (it's a sign)

A few questions for the PC gurus here:

Is this setup going to rock my world for a few years?

If there were one thing you'd change/upgrade in this setup, what would it be?

Also, I'm interested in recommendations for a 24" 1080p monitor around $300 if anyone has any recommendations that will blow my mind.

Are there any other odds and ends I need to make this thing go besides the OS?

I would have suggested upgrading to a 4890 if you're planning to run at 1080p, but if you can get that 4870 with two free games for $90, I'd jump on that right away!

Edit: Oh wait, the two games are $30 each, so you end up paying $150. Sneaky... :(

TheExodu5

Banned
My buddy's building himself a high end rig. Canada.

Anyways, here are the rough components he'll be getting. Can't really find all the links at work. Any modifications or precision on the specific components would be appreciated:

CPU: Core i7 920
Motherboard: SLI + DDR3 Triple Channel motherboard...not sure which one would be best
GPU: XFX GTX 275. Only $15 more than an HD 4890, and can be used as a PhysX card down the road.
RAM: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel. Not sure which speed.
Case: Coolermaster CM 690
PSU: Corsair 750W (12V single rail)

drakesfortune

Oh wow, yeah I did not notice that they parted out the two games at $30 each. Lame.

I just realized that neither of these have HDMI out. What am I looking at to get a card with an HDMI port and that will do 1080p gaming? I suppose I can do without the HDMI port, but I was kind of hoping I could hook it up to the TV easily to watch shows.

Edit: and thanks for the HD upgrade, added that too even though I have a 100gb hard drive on my laptop that I've never gotten past 80gb. :lol I suppose I'll be storing a lot more games on the system now though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Firestorm said:
TheExodus, where are you thinking of for the XFX 275? How much is it? Lowest I can find is $250 at NCIX =( BFG at $215 after Rebate and PNY for $200 (NewEgg.ca) after rebae seem cheapest, but I'd like an EVGA or XFX as they warranty even if I overclock down the road.

NCIX or NewEgg. Nothing spectacular. I was just comparing the XFX HD 4890 to the XFX GTX 275. The best deal on NCIX seems to be the XFX GTX 275 for $250, with no MIR hassle involved.

Seems like the XFX HD 4890 can be had for $220 at NewEgg though.

He'll be sticking to the GTX 275 for possible PhysX support down the road.

drakesfortune said:
Oh wow, yeah I did not notice that they parted out the two games at $30 each. Lame.

I just realized that neither of these have HDMI out. What am I looking at to get a card with an HDMI port and that will do 1080p gaming? I suppose I can do without the HDMI port, but I was kind of hoping I could hook it up to the TV easily to watch shows.

Edit: and thanks for the HD upgrade, added that too even though I have a 100gb hard drive on my laptop that I've never gotten past 80gb. :lol I suppose I'll be storing a lot more games on the system now though.

First off, usually a lot of these cards come with a DVI-> HDMI adapter. The sound can sometimes be an issue, but for example, in the GTX 275's case, you can hook up your internal SPDIF to your videocard to get audio out from your DVI-> HDMI.

Anyways, judging by your name, I assume you have a PS3? Set up a media server! It's easily my favorite way to watch shows, and the PS3 seems to produce a much nicer image than my PC does on my TV, for some reason.

drakesfortune

TheExodu5 said:
First off, usually a lot of these cards come with a DVI-> HDMI adapter. The sound can sometimes be an issue, but for example, in the GTX 275's case, you can hook up your internal SPDIF to your videocard to get audio out from your DVI-> HDMI.

Anyways, judging by your name, I assume you have a PS3? Set up a media server! It's easily my favorite way to watch shows, and the PS3 seems to produce a much nicer image than my PC does on my TV, for some reason.

Hmm, I'll have to look into the dvi to hdmi thing a bit more. I do need sound to go over for sure though.

I do have my PS3 setup as a media server, but I've never been able to pump video over for whatever reason. Ever since PSN had connection issues (which I was affected with) I can't even get photos to go over any more. Music is fine though. It's weird. It kind of sucks too, I was using my PS3 as a backup for all of my family photos up until this issue started.

UT66 said:
You are set. Hell my 2006 setup is still going strong. :lol

E6600 3.2GHZ
ASUS P5B-E
4GB DDR2
4770 DDR5 900 / 900

= 64 FPS ON RE5 AT 1280 X 1024 4XAA

The E6600 was such an awesome buy, its 3 years old now and launched at $300, yet even at stock it'll run any game pretty damn well. OC that thing and you're laughing, nothing's going to cause you an issue. The 8800GTX is following a similar sort of trajectory as well.

Just really disproves the myth that you need constant upgrades to keep up with PC gaming. You're easily looking at a 5 year lifespan for that midrange CPU if you want, i.e. just the same as your average console. Ofcourse you can spend a fortune on PC gaming if you want, but by the same token you can now enjoy all PC games at great settings for very little. Good times.

drakesfortune, that's looking like an excellent setup as far as I'm concerned, you could perhaps add an aftermarket cooler and maybe switch to a 4890 if you want, but that's more personal preference, really.

Firestorm

The myth comes from this overpowering need by gamers to always have everything at max and the latest shiniest thing. With consoles you're restricted. With PCs, you're not.

Then again, with Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony releasing a new hardware revision every other year....

Firestorm said:
The myth comes from this overpowering need by gamers to always have everything at max and the latest shiniest thing. With consoles you're restricted. With PCs, you're not.

Then again, with Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony releasing a new hardware revision every other year....

Well even then an e6600 + 8800GTX is still going to offer you most of that, you might not be able to play at 1080p with maxed out aa but you'll still be going strong at 1680x1050 I'd imagine.

Its really not fair to have 720p/2xaa/0xaf at 30fps with frame drops and tearing as the standard on one side and flawless 1080p/60hz with 16xaa/af on the other, ofcouse the latter is going to be harder to reach at times, that should go without saying.

TheExodu5 said:
My buddy's building himself a high end rig. Canada.

Anyways, here are the rough components he'll be getting. Can't really find all the links at work. Any modifications or precision on the specific components would be appreciated:

CPU: Core i7 920
Motherboard: SLI + DDR3 Triple Channel motherboard...not sure which one would be best
GPU: XFX GTX 275. Only $15 more than an HD 4890, and can be used as a PhysX card down the road.
RAM: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel. Not sure which speed.
Case: Coolermaster CM 690
PSU: Corsair 750W (12V single rail)

Be sure to add some sort of custom cooling, that i7 920 is just begging to be OCed.

Firestorm

brain_stew said:
Well even then an e6600 + 8800GTX is still going to offer you most of that, you might not be able to play at 1080p with maxed out aa but you'll still be going strong at 1680x1050 I'd imagine.

Its really not fair to have 720p/2xaa/0xaf at 30fps with frame drops and tearing as the standard on one side and flawless 1080p/60hz with 16xaa/af on the other, ofcouse the latter is going to be harder to reach at times, that should go without saying.
Oh it's definitely not fair, I just know that when I get a PC game I just want to put everything high and when I can't I get disappointed. Then again, I game on a laptop right now. With consoles you don't get the choice so you just take it!

drakesfortune said:
Hmm, I'll have to look into the dvi to hdmi thing a bit more. I do need sound to go over for sure though.

I do have my PS3 setup as a media server, but I've never been able to pump video over for whatever reason. Ever since PSN had connection issues (which I was affected with) I can't even get photos to go over any more. Music is fine though. It's weird. It kind of sucks too, I was using my PS3 as a backup for all of my family photos up until this issue started.

If you want HDMI audio then I have to recommend going the ATI route. The dongle should be included in the box (check the picture to make sure, the odd brand won't include one) and its just a case of downloading the relevant drivers and you should be away.

The Nvidia hookup is a bit fidgety to setup with some soundcards and since its limited to SPDIF you can't get multichannel PCM audio over HDMI which is a big loss.

I'd go with this fapworthy ASUS card, personally:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121311

Its got excellent cooling and a pretty substantial factory OC as well as better capacitors and voltage regulation so reliability and OC potential should be way up.

Firestorm said:
Oh it's definitely not fair, I just know that when I get a PC game I just want to put everything high and when I can't I get disappointed. Then again, I game on a laptop right now. With consoles you don't get the choice so you just take it!

Well I guess I'm kind of the opposite. I hate being stuck with the setting the developer chooses as more often than not that means God awful texture filtering (making everything a smudged, blurry mess) and no vertical sync. I'm more than happy to reduce a few shader effects to get those two things back, and it bugs the crap out of me playing games with those things present.

I love tweaking shit, so having options on how best to make use of your system is a huge, huge positive for me, being stuck with fugly defaults is not something I appreciate.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I recently upgraded my 4400+ AMD 7900GT HTPC:

E8400 CPU and Gigabyte MB for $200
4GB RAM for $25 AR
9600GSO $30 AR (w/COD WaW)

I was getting 15-30 FPS in WaW at 720P in low settings, now I'm getting 60+ FPS with 2xAA and higher settings. I guess I'm back in the PC world in addition to PS360 (time to sell my 360 maybe?).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I know the 4890 is financially the hotness right now, but should ATi's driver support factor into recommending it over the GTX 275?

Firestorm

K.Jack said:
I know the 4890 is financially the hotness right now, but should ATi's driver support factor into recommending it over the GTX 275?
Personally, I'm really interested in PhysX so I think it could be worth the extra $15

Also comes with a free copy of Call of Duty World at War and Terminator Salvation. The GTX 275 seems to work better in some games while the 4890 performs better in others. I think the GTX 275 might have had a price drop since this topic was made.

TheExodu5

Banned
K.Jack said:

I'm in the NVidia camp myself. You can't really go wrong with the HD 4890 though...it's problems are in only a select few games (TLR High Shadows, RE5 DX10), and it is the best card for the money. I like NVidia's driver support and the possibility for PhysX, so it's worth the small price premium to me.

Javaman

DeadGzuz said:
I recently upgraded my 4400+ AMD 7900GT HTPC:

E8400 CPU and Gigabyte MB for $200
4GB RAM for $25 AR
9600GSO $30 AR (w/COD WaW)

I was getting 15-30 FPS in WaW at 720P in low settings, now I'm getting 60+ FPS with 2xAA and higher settings. I guess I'm back in the PC world in addition to PS360 (time to sell my 360 maybe?).

I find it hilarious and awesome that the video card combo costs less then only the game at retail/steam.

I highly suggest not getting the xfx 4870, unless you also get a scythe musashi. The things stock fan is way too damn loud, and Also I just returned one because it had a screen flicker every 10 seconds or so

drakesfortune

Ok so I'm leaning towards the 4890 or the gtx275. Which one is going to run quietest? Also a better cooling system was mentioned for my setup above, any recommendations? I am concerned about the volume of fans, so I'd like this thing to be as quiet as possible, and I'm willing to spend $50 to $75 to bring the noise level down if it's worth it.

Also how big of a deal is it that the GTX275 has less ram and slower core clock and memory clock speeds?

I don't know how good this website is, but here's a direct comparison of the GTX275 against 4890. I've only just begun reading it, but hopefully it'll help me decide. I'm so new to this stuff. I was contemplating building a PC for the past couple months, but wanted to put it off until Windows 7 went retail. Since my laptop took a crap on me though, I've got to do it now, and I need to order the parts right away, because I NEED a new computer. My wife isn't happy about me stealing her computer, and my computer is literally my livelihood.

drakesfortune

Looks like the 4890 wants a 550watt power supply. The one I have in my cart at newegg is only 500w. Do I need to upgrade this?

drakesfortune said:
Looks like the 4890 wants a 550watt power supply. The one I have in my cart at newegg is only 500w. Do I need to upgrade this?

id go with the nvidia, i heard all the ati cards ship with bad stock fans.

500W is too low for a beefy system, you can probably get by with it but id definitely suggest getting a 700W. its only like 75 bucks compared to probably around 50-60, so its worth it.

If newegg doesnt have those prices, i know for sure the 700W are 75 at microcenter

drakesfortune

Yeah I was reading over the link above, and it seems like with one exception the gtx275 outperformed the 4890, and it idles it a much lower power consumption, and seems to run cooler. So that has me thinking that the GTX275 is the way to go as it'll produce less heat and therefore hopefully the computer will run quieter. 95% of what my computer will be doing is internet/spreadsheet stuff anyway. The sound complications with nvidia are a bummer, but I think I'm willing to trade that off for a slightly better performing, quieter computer. Heck, the energy costs I'll save will pay for the price difference in the first year alone.

Can I get away with a 500w power supply with the GTX275, or no?

Okay, so here's what I'm looking at now:

1. PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor
2. MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Package price is: $234 minus a $10 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.211637

3. RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

4. CASE: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

5. PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

6. HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

7. DVDRW: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

8. GPU: GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

Total: $756.52 - $50 in rebates = $706.52

the gtx 275 is probably more than you need, im more than happy with my 260, but to each his own.

you should most definitely get a bigger power supply if you're going with a gtx 275. 700-750w is plenty, i really dont think 500 is enough,...You risk a lot of stuff in your build if you try to save money on the PS.

One nice thing about getting 1066 ram over 800 is that despite whatever dual-channel problems i've heard with AM2+ procs, you can underclock the ram to 800, and then youve got the entire space between 800 and 1066 for "approved" overclocking, as opposed to getting "unapproved" overclocking 800 ram up to 1066 or whatnot, so consider that.

The proc and mobo deal sounds great, I got a phenom 920 for $150 and a gigabyte 780g chipset for $80 so you're paying less than I did, although I can't speak for the 770 chipset, one nice thing I like about my board is that you can set two sata ports to ide with the rest AHCI, and AHCI almost always a necessity to get sata hard drives to work with amd chipsets in a hackintosh setup, and setting AHCI to a windows hard driverequires special driver configurating.

edit: I should also mention that I really like my coolermaster elite 360 case, its like the smallest ATX case available, i got it for very cheap ($40), is made to be both horizontal and vertical, but require a lot of sawzall work to get the power supply to fit with a 260 or above

Chiggs

Gold Member
Yazus said:
Jesus motherfucking christ, god damn fucking big cases. The Antec Nine Hundred V2 is goddamn 45CM Tall, and my desk is only fucking 41. JESUS CHRIS

Edit: fuck it, I'm getting an Antec Skeleton.

This is my favorite post in the thread. I especially love the completely irrational finale. :lol

Firestorm

Yeah Nobiru, definitely check around for better prices using ShopBot or PriceCanada. MemoryExpress Price Matches (owned by NCIX I think). I know the BFG GTX 275 for example is ~$246 - $30 mail in rebate.

Firestorm said:
Yeah Nobiru, definitely check around for better prices using ShopBot or PriceCanada. MemoryExpress Price Matches (owned by NCIX I think). I know the BFG GTX 275 for example is ~$246 - $30 mail in rebate.

yeah, its 244 at memory express after mail in, I put it in brackets because i doubt i would get around to doing it :p .

But is the stuff i picked worth getting? Does BFG make good cards? or should I find someone else?

Firestorm

Nobiru said:
yeah, its 244 at memory express after mail in, I put it in brackets because i doubt i would get around to doing it :p .

But is the stuff i picked worth getting? Does BFG make good cards? or should I find someone else?
I hadn't heard of 'em as I wasn't a PC person but I've been doing a lot of research over the past two weeks and BFG is one of the top manufacturers.

And I meant it's $246 BEFORE mail in rebate.
http://www.directcanada.com/product...BFGEGTX275896OCE&manufacture=BFG Technologies

http://www.shopbot.ca
http://www.pricecanada.com

I find ShopBot is better for checking to see lowest current price while PriceCanada has a nice Price History tab that shows you what the prices have been at over the life of the product to see if you should hold off or not.

Firestorm said:
I hadn't heard of 'em as I wasn't a PC person but I've been doing a lot of research over the past two weeks and BFG is one of the top manufacturers.

And I meant it's $246 BEFORE mail in rebate.
http://www.directcanada.com/product...BFGEGTX275896OCE&manufacture=BFG Technologies

http://www.shopbot.ca
http://www.pricecanada.com

I find ShopBot is better for checking to see lowest current price while PriceCanada has a nice Price History tab that shows you what the prices have been at over the life of the product to see if you should hold off or not.

oh wow, awesome. I will search all my parts and see what i can find, thanks for the links :)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking for a large (1TB or more) hard drive + an external enclosure. I'll be primarily using it externally for now but eventually I'll probably move it into an HTPC that I build when I get the money. Any recommendations on a brand and model for either item? All of the hard drives above 1 TB that I looked at were just outrageously expensive, it seems like the space:price ratio goes through the roof after that point. Are hard drives at that size even reliable yet?

Only looking to spend ~$150, but I'd pay more if it meant getting a substantial upgrade (so like, 500GB extra for only $40 more or something like that).

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm trying to slap some sense into my friend.

I'm telling him to go with the i7 + Asus P6T combo on NCIX for $550. He's insisting that he goes for the i7 + EVGA mobo for $710, or that he gets the $370 Gigabyte motherboard on NewEgg.

WHYYYYY!?

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC, at the moment I've an old Sony Vaio R series, I was going to recycle (give to a relative) and build a new one, but am I able to fit in new components to the R series case? It is a very nice case, and the insides are getting on I don't think any relatives would appreciate it.

404Ender said:
I'm looking for a large (1TB or more) hard drive an external enclosure. I'll be primarily using it externally for now but eventually I'll probably move it into an HTPC that I build when I get the money. Any recommendations on a brand and model for either item? All of the hard drives above 1 TB that I looked at were just outrageously expensive, it seems like the space:price ratio goes through the roof after that point. Are hard drives at that size even reliable yet?

Only looking to spend ~$150, but I'd pay more if it meant getting a substantial upgrade (so like, 500GB extra for only $40 more or something like that).
Just jump on one of the 1.5tb for around $100 deals (I think there's one on slickdeals right now) and put it in an external enclosure that you buy separately. You'll pay less and have a reusable enclosure for the future if you do decide to use the drive internally.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
letsbereasonable said:
Just jump on one of the 1.5tb for around $100 deals (I think there's one on slickdeals right now) and put it in an external enclosure that you buy separately. You'll pay less and have a reusable enclosure for the future if you do decide to use the drive internally.

Yeah I was already planning on getting an external enclosure. Any recommendations on a reliable one?

Thanks for the slickdeals tip, I'll check it out.

K.Jack said:

Its a fair point though I do think the issue is a little overblown, I mean Nvidia just released a WHQL driver that completely breaks game profiles, so neither are perfect.

Nhancer is personally worth a lot to me, I know most don't care but having excellent profile management and the ability to add supersampling to games is something that I really value. Badaboom, PhysX and 3D Vision are pretty nice extras as well, though for many they're not a big deal, and with DX11 and OpenCL on the horizon, CUDA is going to have a fight on its hands to prove its relevancy.

The price gap was rather significant for a while (around $50 between a 275 and 4890) but its really closed recently so I am sort of rethinking my recommendations. I do like that performance is generally more consistant with Nvidia hardware, and I think that does appeal to a lot of people.

Abubakr

Neo Member
Wow. Shopbot really helps. By using this useful website, I've been able to bring down the cost by at least $70! Thanks Firestorm!

Just 2 more months.. until I get enough money.

Can some one explain to my why the i7 920 is so low on this ? i thought by going up to an i7 anything I would be better off ...

hl2-oc.gif

maybe i should just stick with the Q9550 or X4 955.

The short version: the test is not indicative of how good the i7 is, whatsoever. What you get with the i7 is a hyperthreaded (8 virtual cores) quad core with extremely low stock temps and great overclocking potential. That's why everyone loves them.

the long version: the 920 is probably low on that when you are talking about stock speeds. if they instead did a chart comparing the performance when paired with like, an ocz vendetta 2 since thats a good heatsink that has an attachment for every socket ever made (or similar aftermarket cooler), and overclocked each cpu to the point that they maxed out at, say, 60c temp under a prime95 torture test with no errors, and then finally...

...instead of simply using some arbitrary game that could favor one cpu or another based on its code and would likely never show you the proper difference between a quad and dual core, if instead they ran a proper cpu benchmark that can multithread perfectly and either show an improvement or the lack of improvement when using hyperthreading or not,.....Then you'd most likely see all the i7's at the top, the phenom II x4's and quad cores below that, the phenom II x3's with fourth core unlocked below that, the phenom II x3's with three cores enabled below that, then the phenom x4's, then the phenom II x2's, the phenom x3's, then core 2 duo, athlon x2, core duo and so on and so forth...

... BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, since it would take so long to run all those tests and properly attach the heatsinks and tweak the motherboards, and buy all the replacements after burning through the motherboards, this would be done a year into the future and you'd notice way above all the others sits the larrabee at the top with an x86 cell right below that.

Nobiru said:
Can some one explain to my why the i7 920 is so low on this ? i thought by going up to an i7 anything I would be better off ...

maybe i should just stick with the Q9550 or X4 955.

i7 only really comes into its own in heavy multithreaded aplications or once you OC the thing and unleash its true potential. It currently doesn't really offer much at all to a gamer, heck in most games my cheap as chips E5200 will perform just as well as a stock i7 920 after spending 5 minutes to OC it.

The vast majority of single GPU gaming rigs are still CPU bottlenecked in most games. Excess CPU grunt just isn't needed atm.

drakesfortune said:
What do you guys think about upgrading the rear fan to something like one of these silent fans?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426016

Do they work well enough to keep things cool? It sounds like these fans in particular are very quiet. Does anyone have any other recommendations for silent fans?

Yate Loons if you're on a budget, Noctua's if you're not.

Avoid the rest.

Edit: :lol :lol I see Exodus5 knows his fans! :D

Tom Penny said:
Some sick deals on AMD Phenom II x4 945 Deneb 3.0 quad core combos or the processor this weekend . Really cheap. Why is that processor cheaper than the 940 Deneb? I'm thinking I have to buy one of the combos at that price. $200 for a mobo and CPU and good CPU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...bCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=100&Page=1

Its not a black edition so not iquite as ideal/easy for OCing and requires DDR3 memory which will push the price up a little, though have you standing in good stead for future upgrades.

Its a toss up really. The 945 used to be a terrible buy as it had a ~ $50 price premium and DDR3 was very pricy, if the cost is roughly the same, then things get a lot more complicated.

Edit: Having a look at them combo deals and they're pretty damn hot. Some awesome deals among them, a good starter to base your rig around.

Tom Penny

brain_stew said:
Its not a black edition so not iquite as ideal/easy for OCing and requires DDR3 memory which will push the price up a little, though have you standing in good stead for future upgrades.

Its a toss up really. The 945 used to be a terrible buy as it had a ~ $50 price premium and DDR3 was very pricy, if the cost is roughly the same, then things get a lot more complicated.

Good thing you told me that. I can't run my DDR2 6400 memory with that CPU? I have 4 gig and don't feel like buying more ram. I guess I'll have to find a 940 combo.

Top Bottom