• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

I would go with Asus ROG Strix b650e-f... I know Asus gets pretty bad rep, but I've been using Asus MBs for many years and got used to them.

My first choice would be ASRock B650E Taichi, as it even comes with USB 4.0 - but it the price seems to be way too high right now. But as far as future proofing is concerned, I think this B650E Taichi pretty much checks all boxes. At that price - you could really get an X670E Taichi at just 50 more dollars.

I'm currently running Asus ROG Strix X670E for my pc with 7800x3d, but I think I could have gone with B650E w/o any issues in hindsight...
While I have you can you send me the ram and psu to consider? Running a 470 but want the overhead for the eventual higher power draw gpu

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
can't freaking pick a mobo for my 7950x3d. I think I want a b650e for better future proofing but idk.
i have a 7950X3D and the motherboard i have is an Asus ROG Gaming WiFi B650E-E.

bought it april 2023 and at first there were some issues with my ethernet disconnecting but it's fixed now through loads of BIOS updates and Windows. I'm really happy with the motherboard. There is the cheaper B650E-F i don't know what differences there are. I was comparing this board more towards the X670 ones. As far as I could tell those are a waste of money unless you need USB 4 or more PCIE lanes. AMD cpus can't really be overclocked much so there's no need to get a higher end board.

i wanted a board that supported PCIE5 so that's why i went with B650E. i have a PCIE 4 ssd but i wanted to future proof for PCIE 5 ssd. not sure i will ever upgrade to a PCIE5 SSD though lol but it's nice to have i guess.

the RAM i have are these sticks

they are on the ASUS b650e-e gaming wifi QVL list. no issues at all and run at 6000 just fine with EXPO enabled. i had lots of issues on my previous AMD build with RAM where the system would randomly reboot or BSOD. i've used this 7950X3D/64GB RAM/B650E-E combo for 17 months now and no instability issues.

Last edited:

lachesis

Gold Member
While I have you can you send me the ram and psu to consider? Running a 470 but want the overhead for the eventual higher power draw gpu
I chose the DDR5-6000 CL30 (64gb) FRO G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo CL30-40-40-96.

Not that I know much about RAM - but I researched and was told that for 7800x3d, at least - DDR5-6000 CL30 is supposedly the sweet spot, so I just picked up one from compatible model from ASUS site.
So once you are set with the Mobo, I'd head off to the manufacturer's website and find compatible RAM for that Mobo.
For gaming 32gb is good enough - but I use my rig mainly as a workstation (so I need a better CPU like 7950x3d like yours haha) - so I went with 64gb.

PSU - is a grandfathered one from my previous build many years ago. It's Corsair AX850 80+ Titanium. I think it's discontinued. but It's plenty enough for my 4080 Super.
But if you are building a new one - I'd say go to https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ and pick anything from A tier. ATX 3.X compatible one would be better.
I've been using Corsair PSUs for many years - but this Silverstone one also seems nice at 1200W, dedicated 12VHPWR port.

I chose the DDR5-6000 CL30 (64gb) FRO G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo CL30-40-40-96.

Not that I know much about RAM - but I researched and was told that for 7800x3d, at least - DDR5-6000 CL30 is supposedly the sweet spot, so I just picked up one from compatible model from ASUS site.
So once you are set with the Mobo, I'd head off to the manufacturer's website and find compatible RAM for that Mobo.
For gaming 32gb is good enough - but I use my rig mainly as a workstation (so I need a better CPU like 7950x3d like yours haha) - so I went with 64gb.

PSU - is a grandfathered one from my previous build many years ago. It's Corsair AX850 80+ Titanium. I think it's discontinued. but It's plenty enough for my 4080 Super.
But if you are building a new one - I'd say go to https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ and pick anything from A tier. ATX 3.X compatible one would be better.
I've been using Corsair PSUs for many years - but this Silverstone one also seems nice at 1200W, dedicated 12VHPWR port.
Sweet bought the mobo ram. Almost done with this new build yay

Top Bottom