• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

Nankatsu

Run CMD with admin privileges. Then run "sfs /scannow"

When that is finished, run Powershell as admin. And run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"
This one is going to take longer.

Thanks for the feedback man. Will try that later on tonight.

Salute GIF

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Run CMD with admin privileges. Then run "sfs /scannow"

When that is finished, run Powershell as admin. And run "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"
This one is going to take longer.

Found out what was causing the issue.

Appearantly I had an issue with my Microsoft account.

For whatever reason it got block. I supposed I was getting that quick screen at restart because of that, because I cleared the issues with my account and the issue is gone.

Thanks for the help anyway bro.

So I got the newer GPU for cheap (4070 for $350) the hard part is over and I’m doing doing this shit.

Now I gotta do the rest it’s old 4790k, old ram blah blah

I’m thinking 7800x3d? Should I wait for the next releases? Is a new socket or something coming out that I should wait? What mobo should I pair with it.

Going in a fractal north mid tower.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
So I got the newer GPU for cheap (4070 for $350) the hard part is over and I’m doing doing this shit.

Now I gotta do the rest it’s old 4790k, old ram blah blah

I’m thinking 7800x3d? Should I wait for the next releases? Is a new socket or something coming out that I should wait? What mobo should I pair with it.

Going in a fractal north mid tower.
What is your use case?

Does anyone have a Samsung monitor that supports HDR10+ Gaming. It's like the Dolby Vision counter part of HDR but optimized for gaming and exclusive to Samsung monitors and only supported on a few games. I play Warzone and RDR2 with it enabled and I think it looks great in my opinion but the colors are crazy vivid. When I tab out of the game, I notice Windows desktop is also crazy vivid. Makes me think it's not real dynamic metadata or whatever and it's just turning on vivid mode because why else would Windows 11 look brighter and more vivid when it obviously doesn't support HDR10+ Gaming?

Klik

Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade from I5 12400F to Ryzen 9800x3d when its released(even if 9800x3d is "only" 10% faster than 7800x3d)? I also plan to get RTX 5080..

also play simracing on Quest 3 VR

Last edited:

M1987

It's been a nightmare since moving to AM5.I built the PC and it would only boot with one ram stick in slot a2,the others didn't work.I tried the other ram stick and that also booted up fine.I sent the motherboard back and it did the same thing with the new motherboard.I changed the ram sticks today and no difference so it's surely a problem with the cpu? I have done all the usual things like updating the bios,reseating/loosening the cpu etc,and the only thing I haven't swapped is the cpu

winjer

Gold Member
How's this combo? In particular the MB. All for $499

I can't find any info on the motherboard. That's my main concern...

It's a decent motherboard. Not amazing, but also not bad.
It has good VRM thermals, so it will work well with a 7800X3D.

Xyphie

thank you! I imagine for gaming it'll do just fine?

It's perfectly fine, especially at that bundle price it's a no brainer. You're effectively getting it for free if you consider a 7800X3D is like $380 and 32GB DDR5 ~$100.

A 7800X3D only uses like ~90W on full multithreaded loads, so power delivery specs are basically irrelevant. Really, the only reason to go with the higher-end X670/X670E boards is if you want stupid amounts of M.2 SSDs or PCIe cards.

I have a question for the RTX4070tiSuper owners. Guys are you happy with the performance of this card at 1440p, and do you notice any stuttering issues? I read one guy saying that his 4070tiS had stuttering issues and bad 1% lows, so he bought a 7900XT and had much better experience. I do not see such problems in the YT videos of the 4070tiSuper, so maybe he was exaggerating.

I do not want to buy AMD card because of much slower RT and worse upscaling tech, not to mention much higher power consumption. If 4070tiS really has stuttering issues and bad 1% lows, I'm willing to pay $200 more and get the 4080S.

And the last question. I'm thinking about the MSI gaming slim (white) model, but maybe you guys some better suggestions?

Last edited:

Bojji

I have a question for the RTX4070tiSuper owners. Guys are you happy with the performance of this card at 1440p, and do you notice any stuttering issues? I read one guy saying that his 4070tiS had stuttering issues and bad 1% lows, so he bought a 7900XT and had much better experience. I do not see such problems in the YT videos of the 4070tiSuper, so maybe he was exaggerating.

I do not want to buy AMD card because of much slower RT and worse upscaling tech, not to mention much higher power consumption. If 4070tiS really has stuttering issues and bad 1% lows, I'm willing to pay $200 more and get the 4080S.

And the last question. I'm thinking about the MSI gaming slim (white) model, but maybe you guys some better suggestions?

This guy was full of shit. 4070ti super is more or less on par with 7900xt in raster, much better in rt and has dlss. 20GB of VRAM is not needed by games at this point, 16gb is the sweet spot and will be for next few years. AMD fanboys are everywhere and they will do anything to shit on Nvidia. Nvidia is full of shit when it comes to prices but their GPUs are just better. 7900xt is an excellent piece of hardware but it only makes sense if it's much cheaper than 4070ti super.

Xyphie

I read one guy saying that his 4070tiS had stuttering issues and bad 1% lows, so he bought a 7900XT and had much better experience. I do not see such problems in the YT videos of the 4070tiSuper, so maybe he was exaggerating.

No reason to believe some random guy on the Internet unless he can backup his claim. A 4080 Super wouldn't solve the issue either way as they are both just slightly different bins of the same GPU.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That dude must be full of shit. I own that card and so far it's been a great experience, free of any weird stutters or any kind of issue really.

Maybe Asus? I'm not an expert but afaik, both Asus and MSI are the best so you can't go wrong with any of them.

No reason to believe some random guy on the Internet unless he can backup his claim. A 4080 Super wouldn't solve the issue either way as they are both just slightly different bins of the same GPU.
I know that both cards have the same chip, but the 4080S has more L2 cache and I thought that it might help with 1% lows?

To be honest, I am still deciding between the 4070tiS and the 4080S. The 4070tiS is cheaper, but if I'm going to pay $800 anyway, I might as well pay an extra $200 for the 4080S. The 4080S seems to be about 10fps faster on average, but sometimes that 10fps translates into a 30% relative performance difference.

Edit -

20240807-160718-2.jpg

PfIPeUu.jpeg

I bought the 4080S and this card has exceeded my expectations. Only 58-63°C under full load, and the card is basically dead silent in a good way. I have not experienced any stuttering issues (or problems with 1% lows), so it seems that the AMD guy was just lying. I have bought several graphics cards over the years (TNT2, Geforce 2MX, Geforce 3, Geforce 8800Ultra, GTX680, GTX 1080ti, and GTX1080), but so far I have never been more impressed with a GPU. I'm able to max out my 1440p 170Hz monitor in many games, and even RT runs surprisingly well. Less demanding RT games like Guardians of the galaxy (or even older path tracing games like Quake 2 RTX) runs at high refreshrate 120-140fps even at native 1440p. More demanding RT games like The Witcher 3 Next Gen runs at 80fps at 1440p native (mix of uber plus and ultra settings). With DLSSQ the game ran at 120fps and with DLSS3 frame generation I often saw 170fps (the tame maxed out my monitor). I'm pleasantly surprised at how smooth and responsive the DLSS3 frame generation feels, this feature is absolutely usable and certainly improves the experience.

The 4080S is amazingly fast at 1440p and absolutely worth the money. I have no regrets.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Bought myself a new monitor.

MSI MPG 271QRX - 27" 1440P 360Hz QD-OLED.

81K7cLjcGiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It has been delivered today and I've just finished setting it up. It's beautiful and 360Hz is crazy smoooth even just using the desktop. Done a quick check of the quality for dead pixels etc but so far so good! Everything looks perfect. Haven't actually played a game yet. I was worried about text clarity as i've seen many people say it isn't great on OLED but I don't see anything wrong with it...

I paid £800 for it and was debating if I should or not. My old monitor is a 27" 1440p but it's IPS with 165Hz. So it's not bad but I just want OLED and high fps lol. Now I'm using the monitor the price is totally worth it!

I'm not sure how many games I'll get to run at 300+fps lol but we'll see. I only really want it for Valorant which I've been playing a lot. My PC can easily hit 160fps in many games so I was being held back somewhat. If I can "only" do 240hz then that's fine.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong because I think I'll struggle to go back to IPS now.

Soodanim

It has been delivered today and I've just finished setting it up. It's beautiful and 360Hz is crazy smoooth even just using the desktop. Done a quick check of the quality for dead pixels etc but so far so good! Everything looks perfect. Haven't actually played a game yet. I was worried about text clarity as i've seen many people say it isn't great on OLED but I don't see anything wrong with it...

I paid £800 for it and was debating if I should or not. My old monitor is a 27" 1440p but it's IPS with 165Hz. So it's not bad but I just want OLED and high fps lol. Now I'm using the monitor the price is totally worth it!

I'm not sure how many games I'll get to run at 300+fps lol but we'll see. I only really want it for Valorant which I've been playing a lot. My PC can easily hit 160fps in many games so I was being held back somewhat. If I can "only" do 240hz then that's fine.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong because I think I'll struggle to go back to IPS now.
You could always try out Lossless Scaling's framegen

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
You could always try out Lossless Scaling's framegen
i've never heard of that.

i only want high FPS for valorant and i can hit 360fps so i'm happy.

VRR flicker is damn awful though. I've turned VRR off. still need to test other games and see how it is without VRR.

Soodanim

i've never heard of that.

i only want high FPS for valorant and i can hit 360fps so i'm happy.

VRR flicker is damn awful though. I've turned VRR off. still need to test other games and see how it is without VRR.

You can choose from 2-4x framegen, so any locked 60fps will be up to 240 for next to nothing. Free smoothness!

It works on pretty much anything AFAIK. I've used it in classic RE games to run at 60fps.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
A question from a total noob on PC building.

I tried building a PC on a website, following the "Great" configuration suggestions in the OP for AMD CPUs (I've read about the issues with Intel 13 and 14 series).
The final price is between €2550 and €2900, based mostly on secondary features like hard disks, cooling etc. This is way north of the price in US$ estimated in the OP, so something doesn't add up. I'm wondering if VAT in the US is such that the difference with Euro prices really narrows after adding taxes, but somehow I doubt it.

I'm considering a new PC that can handle some current gaming (including emulation, of course) without going all the way up to 4K60+, RT and all the bells and whistles. But I'd like to stay below the €2000 treshold. Any suggestions?

OverHeat

« generous god »

Congrats

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
thank ye.

i'm in love with it lol i have OLED TVs, Steam Deck, and my phone is OLED so it's nothing new but it's still mind blowing to see these colours/contrast. can't seem to find any issues with dead pixels and uniformity is excellent. the only downside is that with VRR on it flickers really bad. i had it set up incorrectly but it seems to be improved but still not as good as my old monitor. It seems this is normal for OLEDs so it's not defective. I've turned off VRR for now to see if I have any issues with stuttering, input latency, or screen tearing.

£800 is the most i've ever paid for a PC monitor but it's worth it.

what monitor do you have?

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
thank ye.

i'm in love with it lol i have OLED TVs, Steam Deck, and my phone is OLED so it's nothing new but it's still mind blowing to see these colours/contrast. can't seem to find any issues with dead pixels and uniformity is excellent. the only downside is that with VRR on it flickers really bad. i had it set up incorrectly but it seems to be improved but still not as good as my old monitor. It seems this is normal for OLEDs so it's not defective. I've turned off VRR for now to see if I have any issues with stuttering, input latency, or screen tearing.

£800 is the most i've ever paid for a PC monitor but it's worth it.

what monitor do you have?
AW3423DW and PG32UCDM

GreatnessRD

A question from a total noob on PC building.

I tried building a PC on a website, following the "Great" configuration suggestions in the OP for AMD CPUs (I've read about the issues with Intel 13 and 14 series).
The final price is between €2550 and €2900, based mostly on secondary features like hard disks, cooling etc. This is way north of the price in US$ estimated in the OP, so something doesn't add up. I'm wondering if VAT in the US is such that the difference with Euro prices really narrows after adding taxes, but somehow I doubt it.

I'm considering a new PC that can handle some current gaming (including emulation, of course) without going all the way up to 4K60+, RT and all the bells and whistles. But I'd like to stay below the €2000 treshold. Any suggestions?
PC parts pricing can be volatile. For instance the Ryzen 7 7800X3D gaming chip was regularly seen around $350-380 and now its around $420. Just depends on your region. I think I got the money part right and I built this for you using PCpartpicker. You could switch out the GPU for something Nvidia, but I felt this was more bang for the buck as you're getting the second (Or 3rd depending on who you ask) GPU out right now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€379.00 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO 69 CFM CPU Cooler (€53.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard (€149.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€104.89 @ Proshop)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€117.90 @ Alza)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card (€915.78 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case (€80.50 @ Galaxus)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€111.98 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Total: €1912.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-02 14:46 CEST+0200

Case is also personal preference and if you want RGB fanciness

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Are you saying that you wont be going up to 4k60 and RT here or you want it to be able to do 4k60 with RT? What res are you looking to be playing at?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Are you saying that you wont be going up to 4k60 and RT here or you want it to be able to do 4k60 with RT? What res are you looking to be playing at?
1440p with decent framerates would be enough. My PC monitor is still 1080p and, as I mentioned, I’m unlikely to play the latest and greatest on PC.

1440p with decent framerates would be enough. My PC monitor is still 1080p and, as I mentioned, I’m unlikely to play the latest and greatest on PC.

Unlikely to play the latest and greatest? Honestly you could put together something with like RX 6700XT or 6800 and a Ryzen 5600x for under a thousand and get what you want. The new unreal engine games are giving everyone problems with fps but you'd be able to play everything with that combo.

A little more premium would be 4070 super with a ryzen 7600.

I'd honestly go to a store and look at 1440p monitors first, It's a better image for gaming but the screen can feel massive. 1080p gaming is still a great experience at 24 inches and you can do it on the cheap.

Last edited:
Got the 4070 back in the day off Facebook for 350. Finally pulled the trigger and snagged a 7950x3d. Was waiting more specially for the 7800 but this is the same thing and the deal was good enough for me to end my misery.

Now to decide on MB and ram. Then if I want to take the psu cpu cooler and storage from my old pc or just start new

Soodanim

I need a bit of help please, GAF.
  1. Went away for the weekend
  2. Turned off the multi-plugs all my electronics are plugged into
  3. Came back, turned everything on
  4. Everything but the PC is working
I assume it's the PSU as I'm getting no lights or sounds from anything.

So far I have:
  • Plugged PC into a socket on its own
  • Tried swapping the fuse
Might order a new plug/cable to test as that seems to be the next thing to try. Is there anything I can do different to check/test/diagnose? As mentioned earlier on this page I want a new build at some point so worst case I get a little bit ahead of that project with the PSU, but I don't want to be too hasty.

winjer

Gold Member

So far I have:
Might order a new plug/cable to test as that seems to be the next thing to try. Is there anything I can do different to check/test/diagnose? As mentioned earlier on this page I want a new build at some point so worst case I get a little bit ahead of that project with the PSU, but I don't want to be too hasty.

When you press the button to tur on the PC, is there any thing happening.
Any beeps. A fan trying to start. Something?

Also, check if the connector from the power button to the motherboard is well plugged in.

Soodanim

When you press the button to tur on the PC, is there any thing happening.
Any beeps. A fan trying to start. Something?

Also, check if the connector from the power button to the motherboard is well plugged in.
Nothing. Darkness and silence.

Checked all connections - as secure as the day I built it

Edit: ethernet port does have a light... Time to unplug components?

Edit2: there's a green light on PWR_LED on the mobo now, I could have sworn that wasn't there before. Human error? Who knows. Looking up the manual now.

Last edited:

Xyphie

So far I have:

power_atx_socket_pin_number__40404_zoom.jpg

Here's something you could try. Unplug all the power cables from the motherboard, drives, GPU etc. Only leave the 24-pin cable connected to the PSU. From the diagram above: Bridge the green pin (it's probably a black wire, but the one in its place) with one of the black ground plugs with a like a paperclip (something conductive). If the power supply doesn't start (no fan etc) something in the power supply has likely died. It could be something as simple as an internal fuse, which may or may not be user servicable -- do that on your own risk though.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Nothing. Darkness and silence.

Checked all connections - as secure as the day I built it

Edit: ethernet port does have a light... Time to unplug components?

Edit2: there's a green light on PWR_LED on the mobo now, I could have sworn that wasn't there before. Human error? Who knows. Looking up the manual now.

Turn off the power supply. By removing the power cable.
Then press the power button on the case for a few seconds. This should remove any charge left somewhere in the system
Plug the PSU again and try to turn on the PC.

Also, try a clear cmos. The procedure is described on your motherboard manual.
Usually it's just a matter of removing the motherboard battery, and shorting the 2 pins marked as clear cmos, for 10 seconds.

Soodanim

Turn off the power supply. By removing the power cable.
Then press the power button on the case for a few seconds. This should remove any charge left somewhere in the system
Plug the PSU again and try to turn on the PC.

Also, try a clear cmos. The procedure is described on your motherboard manual.
Usually it's just a matter of removing the motherboard battery, and shorting the 2 pins marked as clear cmos, for 10 seconds.
Forgot to mention draining the residual power, but did that again for safety.

Tried clearing CMOS, worked perfectly. Funny thing is I've had to do that once before, but I'd forgotten about it entirely.

I appreciate it, thank you.

Last edited:

hinch7

Forgot to mention draining the residual power, but did that again for safety.

Tried clearing CMOS, worked perfectly. Funny thing is I've had to do that once before, but I'd forgotten about it entirely.

I appreciate it, thank you.
I usually find that if its not booting but powering on, its usually RAM or motherboard compatibility with that kit or speed/timings thats causing the issue.

If it does it again and refuses to boot in, reset CMOS, take out all but one stick of RAM and see if that works. Then put it back in once working.

Last edited:

lachesis

Gold Member
can't freaking pick a mobo for my 7950x3d. I think I want a b650e for better future proofing but idk.

I would go with Asus ROG Strix b650e-f... I know Asus gets pretty bad rep, but I've been using Asus MBs for many years and got used to them.

My first choice would be ASRock B650E Taichi, as it even comes with USB 4.0 - but it the price seems to be way too high right now. But as far as future proofing is concerned, I think this B650E Taichi pretty much checks all boxes. At that price - you could really get an X670E Taichi at just 50 more dollars.

I'm currently running Asus ROG Strix X670E for my pc with 7800x3d, but I think I could have gone with B650E w/o any issues in hindsight...

Top Bottom