• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Mully

I'd really like to update from my HTC EVO 4G, but damn is a S-2 expensive. Anyone know where I could get an unlocked or Sprint enabled phone for cheap?

Well i got my nexus yesterday and i love it but got one major problem with it how can you get an alphanumeric keypad to type on? I hate typing on qwerty but cant find an option to change it anywhere, is there one? I even tried downloading a replacement keyboard ( go keyboard) but that was highly annoying

kehs

Banned
Well i got my nexus yesterday and i love it but got one major problem with it how can you get an alphanumeric keypad to type on? I hate typing on qwerty but cant find an option to change it anywhere, is there one? I even tried downloading a replacement keyboard ( go keyboard) but that was highly annoying

Different keyboards allow access to it through custom settings, but the keyboard input type is determined by the app/input field.

For example, if you're adding a phone number in the contacts app, you'll get a numeric keypad, because the app says "this field is only for numbers".

Different keyboards allow access to it through custom settings, but the keyboard input type is determined by the app/input field.

For example, if you're adding a phone number in the contacts app, you'll get a numeric keypad, because the app says "this field is only for numbers".

But as i'm typing this (or any text) i get a qwerty keyboard but i dont want that i want i an alphanumeric keypad like i've been able to do on every android phone i've used before bit i cant find anuthing in the options

kehs

Banned
But as i'm typing this (or any text) i get a qwerty keyboard but i dont want that i want i an alphanumeric keypad like i've been able to do on every android phone i've used before bit i cant find anuthing in the options

I'm not sure what you mean then. You mean like you want to use t9? It's not included by default, but you can get a t9 keyboard from the Play Store*.

I'm not sure what you mean then. You mean like you want to use t9? It's not included by default, but you can get a t9 keyboard from the Play Store*.

So there definately aint one included, seems like a strange ommission, i'll have another look on the market but the one i downloaded already was crap

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I seem to be getting really poor 3D performance out of my Galaxy Nexus, and would like to know if I should be worried.

Something like Shadowgun will fluctuate between running pretty smoothly (30-40 fps, I guess) and chopping noticeably (15-20 fps) on my phone, whereas other people report it running perfectly smoothly on their GNs. Even simpler 3D games like Wind-Up Knight or Cordy fail to run smoothly on my phone, constantly feeling a bit choppy and occasionally dropping to pretty bad framerates. A game that does run very smoothly is Minecraft, but it seems to be something of an exception.

What are your experiences? What version of Android are you running? I'm on 4.0.2 stock, and I'm trying to figure out if my issues have something to do with that (I've found some accounts of people claiming their performance dropped with the 4.0.2 update) or if my phone is actually not giving me the performance I should be getting.

So, I seem to be getting really poor 3D performance out of my Galaxy Nexus, and would like to know if I should be worried.

Something like Shadowgun will fluctuate between running pretty smoothly (30-40 fps, I guess) and chopping noticeably (15-20 fps) on my phone, whereas other people report it running perfectly smoothly on their GNs. Even simpler 3D games like Wind-Up Knight or Cordy fail to run smoothly on my phone, constantly feeling a bit choppy and occasionally dropping to pretty bad framerates. A game that does run very smoothly is Minecraft, but it seems to be something of an exception.

What are your experiences? What version of Android are you running? I'm on 4.0.2 stock, and I'm trying to figure out if my issues have something to do with that (I've found some accounts of people claiming their performance dropped with the 4.0.2 update) or if my phone is actually not giving me the performance I should be getting.

Wind up knight runs very smooth on mine haven't tried the other two

Owensboro

Looks like Swype was updated for ICS the other day.

HOLY CRAP! HOW DID I MISS THIS!

Oh man my Swype is back. This is the best news ever. Thank you so, so much for putting this here. I was starting to get real pissed at the generic keyboard. I kept hitting letters instead of spacebar and it was driving me insane.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
stock 4.0.2, I actually love wind-up knight, my favorite android game so far. 100% completed it on my galaxy nexus

And you don't experience the slightest hint of slowdown or choppiness in the game? Well, that is weird... Even just swiping between the books on the level select screen is really choppy on my phone, as if it's running at 15-20 fps or so.

Guess I can try factory resetting the phone, and if that doesn't change things I'll just have to realize I've got another semi-broken GN (already exchanged my first one due to a screen with a strong color tint, and some other things). Man, this phone is great in some ways, but a piece of shit in others. I have barely heard of anyone who doesn't have at least some issues with it. Samsung's QA is terrible.

beat

HOLY CRAP! HOW DID I MISS THIS!

Oh man my Swype is back. This is the best news ever. Thank you so, so much for putting this here. I was starting to get real pissed at the generic keyboard. I kept hitting letters instead of spacebar and it was driving me insane.
I don't want to use Swype, but why did Google take out touch keyboard calibration in ICS?

And you don't experience the slightest hint of slowdown or choppiness in the game? Well, that is weird... Even just swiping between the books on the level select screen is really choppy on my phone, as if it's running at 15-20 fps or so.

Guess I can try factory resetting the phone, and if that doesn't change things I'll just have to realize I've got another semi-broken GN (already exchanged my first one due to a screen with a strong color tint, and some other things). Man, this phone is great in some ways, but a piece of shit in others. I have barely heard of anyone who doesn't have at least some issues with it. Samsung's QA is terrible.

Do you have hardware acceleration on? I had it on when playing that, actually I think I just ended up keeping it on all the time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you have hardware acceleration on? I had it on when playing that, actually I think I just ended up keeping it on all the time.

Isn't that option just for forcing hardware acceleration in all 2D apps? 3D apps are always hardware accelerated, I believe.

Piano

Banned
I'm trying out different kernels to see what offers the best battery life. What should my target screen on time be here? 3 hours?

I see people on xda and rootz getting 4+...how the fuck is that possible? I've got the extended.battery, too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
VZW users: Where can I get Google Wallet? My version says I now need to update. When I hit the update button, it says my carrier doesn't support it.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm officially over this phone. Weak ass vibration that I can't feel while it's pocketed, low maximum headphone volume, shitty data radios, shitty camera, too big to one-hand comfortably.

I wanted to love it, I really did. If only I could cram a 4g radio into my old DX.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Anyone that's switched between Verizone/Att have any experiences to share? I'm thinking about making the switch for the Note.

gcubed

Anyone that's switched between Verizone/Att have any experiences to share? I'm thinking about making the switch for the Note.

i just went the other way.

I lived in a relatively good area for both (except for my house, but both suck equally). The biggest difference to me so far is the ability to actually use my phone in crowded areas. ATT sucked for that (LTE i'm sure is better because no one is on it)

th3dude

I switched a few weeks ago from my ATT iPhone to the Verizon Nexus.

Decided that this time I would port my phone number to Google Voice and get a new number from Verizon. Took a few days to get everything settled in, but now that it is working, it is wonderful.

No text plan from Verizon and didn't have to tell anyone a new phone number.

HawkeyeIC

My main problem with this phone is the data signal. Have to reboot sometimes just for my phone to find even a 3G signal.

I know that there were some 4.0.4 radios that leaked...did anyone flash those and did they help at all?

BrettHD

Banned
I bought a Galaxy Nexus from Verizon and after a day ordered a Razr Maxx from Amazon Wireless to replace it because of the Nexus's terrible battery life.
It wasnt draining that much with the screen off but when it when was on the battery dropped like a rock.
Yes I know you can flash custom roms/kernels/underclock to get better battery life but I went through all that with my last phone a Droid2/Global and didnt want to do it again.
Plus the Nexus is a pain to use one handed - I constantly felt like I was going to drop it.
Very happy with the Razr Maxx so far.

rozay

Banned
I bought a Galaxy Nexus from Verizon and after a day ordered a Razr Maxx from Amazon Wireless to replace it because of the Nexus's terrible battery life.
It wasnt draining that much with the screen off but when it when was on the battery dropped like a rock.
Yes I know you can flash custom roms/kernels/underclock to get better battery life but I went through all that with my last phone a Droid2/Global and didnt want to do it again.
Plus the Nexus is a pain to use one handed - I constantly felt like I was going to drop it.
Very happy with the Razr Maxx so far.
You actually prefer how the razr maxx feels one handed to the nexus?

I've been pretty impressed with my GN battery life (GSM, 4.0.2, stock). It was one thing I was worried about before picking it up given all the negativity. But so far I haven't been caught short, easily lasts me all day with few hours of browsing, tweeting, few texts. (26% brightness, Wifi on, 3g on, bluetooth/gps off)

BrettHD

Banned
You actually prefer how the razr maxx feels one handed to the nexus?

Yea I do.
Its a little thicker than the Nexus so I feel like a have a better grip on it.
I think its a bit shorter than the Nexus as well but I sent the Nexus back before the Razr Maxx arrived so I could be wrong.

NH Apache

Banned
You get a Kernel but I'd recommend Franco, either milestone 1 or the nightly builds if you enjoy fleeting but fun features.

Thanks. Also, to those of you who flash often, do you backup your sms/mms and accounts with TiBu? Is it ok to restore that particular system data without fucking up the new rom? Or should I just regard those texts as lost?

JordanKZ

Thanks. Also, to those of you who flash often, do you backup your sms/mms and accounts with TiBu? Is it ok to restore that particular system data without fucking up the new rom? Or should I just regard those texts as lost?

Unless you do a full system wipe (required from moving from one ROM to another for example) then all your system elements will be in tact, only the OS gets re-written.

NH Apache

Banned
Unless you do a full system wipe (required from moving from one ROM to another for example) then all your system elements will be in tact, only the OS gets re-written.

Yeah I wiped. I'm just wondering if restoring those items via tibu will fuck over the os, or if there is an alternate way of restoring texts/accounts.

Does anyone know of a decently cheap stylus that will work on the Nexus? I've been wanting to get one for a while now, and figured I'd ask you guys before I drop $25 on one.

Top Bottom