• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Salaadin

Looks like Swype was updated for ICS the other day.

It's all incredibly fasts and smooth, and I'd say the battery life is definitely imp[roved so far.

Pre-4.0.4 I was using 3G only and averaged 15-16 hours a day.
Now Im using 4G and still get 15-16 hours. I expected a drop off after switching to 4G but that didnt happen so Im pretty happy with it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Been having Android OS awake time problems recently. I have no idea why. I was running M3 with Franco 17.x with no issues. Suddenly, a couple of days ago, the Android OS bug rears its head. Killed my phone in a couple of hours.

Wiped everything and am flashing over a stock 4.0.4 on my GN plus Franco 18. We'll see how this goes. I'm already missing quick access to settings.

th3dude

How's everyone's battery life been? I'm on the extended battery but was shocked when my phone dropped from 50% to 9% overnight just from the Phone Idle process. phone had signal the whole time too. My iPhone would only ever drop a few percent overnight while sleeping.

Cudder

How's everyone's battery life been? I'm on the extended battery but was shocked when my phone dropped from 50% to 9% overnight just from the Phone Idle process. phone had signal the whole time too. My iPhone would only ever drop a few percent overnight while sleeping.

Using it sparingly I can easily get 24 hours out of it. With moderate usage I'll get like 15-17 hours or so.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Something on your phone is screwed up. Many people have the same issue. You'll have to figure out what's causing it. Google Better Battery Stats to get that app and also grab CPU Spy off the Market.

The battery on my GSM tuna is pretty great if I'm connected to wifi. 3G, not so much, but that might have to do with my carrier using AWS which is a drain as well.

This is running stock 4.0.2 with faux123's kernel and the XXKL1 baseband.

Out of curiosity I installed LeanKernel 2.0.1 over stock Google 4.0.4. LeanKernel defaults to 384mhz instead of 307mhz on the GPU. My benchmarks all went up when I OCed the CPU to 1.35ghz but it doesn't really feel any different using it. Stock 4.0.4 kernel was already a massive improvement over 4.0.2 though, so I guess Google already rolled most of the good stuff into it.

There are experimental versions of LeanKernel which support 1.42ghz but I heard many find that to be unstable, so I'm going to give it a miss. The phone is already ungodly fast the way it is.

rozay

Banned
I really wonder why the phone gets so unstable at those speeds, isn't the 4460 supposed to run at 1.5ghz normally? I understand that they probably underclocked it to save battery, but it just seems weird to me.

I really wonder why the phone gets so unstable at those speeds, isn't the 4460 supposed to run at 1.5ghz normally? I understand that they probably underclocked it to save battery, but it just seems weird to me.

Most people who've messed with OCing the Tuna think there are multiple bins of 4460, the ones which can't run at 1.5ghz due to defects or whatever are binned for 1.2ghz. If this is indeed the case then that's why OCing it is so difficult, these are SoCs which failed to run at 1.5ghz in the first place.

Biff

Most people who've messed with OCing the Tuna think there are multiple bins of 4460, the ones which can't run at 1.5ghz due to defects or whatever are binned for 1.2ghz. If this is indeed the case then that's why OCing it is so difficult, these are SoCs which failed to run at 1.5ghz in the first place.

Based on what I've learned in my process engineering courses, this is exactly how it's done.

I'm getting really tempted to buy one had a play around with one in the shop, the screen is beautiful, despite being so huge didn't feel any more difficult to hold than my current phone (DesireHD) though that's probably cos its exactly the same width, only thing I'm worried about is the terrible reports of battery life but then again all smartphones are terrible anyway

reKon

Banned
been running milestone 3 and franco 15.2, but I decided that it was time to go to build 25 and franco 18.1. This thing is flying, I didn't think it could get smoother/faster... Hopefully there are no big bugs. I'm hoping that roman fixed the alarm clock bug for build 26 though

VPhys

I'm getting really tempted to buy one had a play around with one in the shop, the screen is beautiful, despite being so huge didn't feel any more difficult to hold than my current phone (DesireHD) though that's probably cos its exactly the same width, only thing I'm worried about is the terrible reports of battery life but then again all smartphones are terrible anyway

Only 4g smartphones. Iphone 4S for example has great battery life.

reKon

Banned
you do have the option to turn off 4g and stay 3g you know. It makes things more comparable, but yeah other than the RAZR Maxx, iPhone 4/4s is still the best when it comes to battery life

DXPett1

Twitter app has been updated for better compatibility with ICS/High Res display devices. Now it is buttery smooth to use on the Tuna... finally

Umm, ok so I'm using the speaker phone and the sound entirely cuts out. I test other things and now it looks like *nothing* speaker related works? Anything with sound... alerts, youtube, websites, music.

What the fuck.

Husker86

Just realized I accidentally posted this in the Android OT. Curious for more experiences:

I really don't get how Franco kernel is so popular. I'm on AOKP M3, was running Franco 15.x for a while and it was fine (though I'd get resets very rarely). I got his new one yesterday (18.2 I think) and my phone wouldn't wake when left alone consistently. I turned off my overclock/undervolt (which worked fine before) and it would still happen. I installed Imo's leankernel 2.2 and turned overclock/undervolt back on and have been fine ever since.

Similar issues happened on his earlier kernels too, so I'm not going by just my last night's experience.

While I know I must be in the minority based on the popularity, I can't believe I'm the only one having issues with Franco's kernels.

reKon

Banned
Just realized I accidentally posted this in the Android OT. Curious for more experiences:

I really don't get how Franco kernel is so popular. I'm on AOKP M3, was running Franco 15.x for a while and it was fine (though I'd get resets very rarely). I got his new one yesterday (18.2 I think) and my phone wouldn't wake when left alone consistently. I turned off my overclock/undervolt (which worked fine before) and it would still happen. I installed Imo's leankernel 2.2 and turned overclock/undervolt back on and have been fine ever since.

Similar issues happened on his earlier kernels too, so I'm not going by just my last night's experience.

While I know I must be in the minority based on the popularity, I can't believe I'm the only one having issues with Franco's kernels.

This combo has been great for me so far

Personally, Imo's leankernel has been the best for me as far as battery life and performance. I'm running GummyNex 0.7.6 and Imo's latest.

Maxrunner

Out of curiosity I installed LeanKernel 2.0.1 over stock Google 4.0.4. LeanKernel defaults to 384mhz instead of 307mhz on the GPU. My benchmarks all went up when I OCed the CPU to 1.35ghz but it doesn't really feel any different using it. Stock 4.0.4 kernel was already a massive improvement over 4.0.2 though, so I guess Google already rolled most of the good stuff into it.

There are experimental versions of LeanKernel which support 1.42ghz but I heard many find that to be unstable, so I'm going to give it a miss. The phone is already ungodly fast the way it is.

So i assume the gsm Galaxy Nexus build 4.0.X will trounce the 4.0.2.??can you say if it will solve the lag problems with the UI and widget screen transistions?

Sumidor

I'm having trouble trying to upload videos to Youtube on my phone. Any ideas? I tried googling it, but all I could find, was to reboot, and that didn't work. I'm on Verizon and haven't rooted or done anything to my phone.

BrettWeir

I'm having trouble trying to upload videos to Youtube on my phone. Any ideas? I tried googling it, but all I could find, was to reboot, and that didn't work. I'm on Verizon and haven't rooted or done anything to my phone.

Same issue on my wife's, and my Nexus's

Pyrokai

Just got my new (well, used) Galaxy Nexus! I have a ton of incoming questions coming up but the most pertinent one for me right now is about updates. I currently am on 4.0.2 and can't update OTA (Verizon, btw). It says I'm up to date, but aren't you guys on 4.0.4? I really hope it fixes this lag with typing, especially when I hold it sideways. Seriously driving me crazy.

kehs

Banned
Just got my new (well, used) Galaxy Nexus! I have a ton of incoming questions coming up but the most pertinent one for me right now is about updates. I currently am on 4.0.2 and can't update OTA (Verizon, btw). It says I'm up to date, but aren't you guys on 4.0.4? I really hope it fixes this lag with typing, especially when I hold it sideways. Seriously driving me crazy.

The .4 update was a fluke, only like 2 handsets got the update, it was premature. Latest official update for the GN (Verizon & GSM) is .2. Only the Nexus S is on .3, and the Nexus 4G on .4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man someone at Google, Samsung, or Sprint must really love the Nexus S 4G. Thing's basically got Google Wallet all to itself (officially) and now it's leading the pack on updates, despite being older than the GN.

CaLe

Gaffers, need your help if possible.

I currently have Franco Kernel 3.0.16 installed, along with Gummy Nex 0.5.0.

I keep experiencing weird lockups and reboots, and my phone often vibrates for no reason. The camera also doesn't work properly.

I want to upgrade to a better Kernel / Rom but I don't know which ones are the best right now. Which ones do you recommend ?

Also, is it possible for me to return to stock if I want to..?

Thanks

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/27/samsu...-1-5ghz-quad-core-1080p-display-ceramic-case/

has anyone seen this?

for those who are too lazy to click :) I got you!

1.5GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos processor
4.8-inch “full HD” 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio display
A 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera
Ceramic case
4G LTE
Android 4.0

Real?

What it does mean though if it's true... the price of the nexus will drop so that's it within my price range (including a upgrade on my account (which is a discount as I am not the master account))

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/27/samsu...-1-5ghz-quad-core-1080p-display-ceramic-case/

has anyone seen this?

for those who are too lazy to click :) I got you!

1.5GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos processor
4.8-inch “full HD” 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio display
A 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera
Ceramic case
4G LTE
Android 4.0

Real?

What it does mean though if it's true... the price of the nexus will drop so that's it within my price range (including a upgrade on my account (which is a discount as I am not the master account))

does it also come with a free bridge in brooklyn?

Nymerio

Gaffers, need your help if possible.

I currently have Franco Kernel 3.0.16 installed, along with Gummy Nex 0.5.0.

I keep experiencing weird lockups and reboots, and my phone often vibrates for no reason. The camera also doesn't work properly.

I want to upgrade to a better Kernel / Rom but I don't know which ones are the best right now. Which ones do you recommend ?

Also, is it possible for me to return to stock if I want to..?

Thanks

I'm running Android 4.0.3 (aokp) with Franco 17.2 and I'm absolutely satisfied. I have not had any errors and battery life is great. I suggest you give it a try.

Maxrunner

I'm running Android 4.0.3 (aokp) with Franco 17.2 and I'm absolutely satisfied. I have not had any errors and battery life is great. I suggest you give it a try.

i would consider it, but the gsm is supposed to get the 4.0.5. in the beginning of the this month...i just hope they fix the damn lag....is the reason for the lag known???kernel problems maybe???

Just ordered myself a GN, I have questions to prepare for its arrival. (I'm in the UK, so gsm model)

- how is battery life on latest update? Any better than launch?
- is a screen protector worthwhile, or is it gorilla glass/toughenedmaterial?
- extended battery. Any good third party ones that fit without need for new backplate?

Also, most of my impressions are from reviews when it first launched, so have there been any changes to the phone since then. Ie, some complained of quiet ringer, low brightness of screen etc.

Thanks all!

remz

I too, just bought one. Upgrading from a Galaxy S one.

Pretty keen for it to arrive, hoping it's worth the cash. such a sexy, sexy phone

I too, just bought one. Upgrading from a Galaxy S one.

Pretty keen for it to arrive, hoping it's worth the cash. such a sexy, sexy phone
Ha ha, snap! Had my sgs for
18 months now, time to change.

At £450 it was too much, especially with only 16gb, but it's on offer at expansys today for £340, and that is insta-buy price.

remz

Ha ha, snap! Had my sgs for
18 months now, time to change.

At £450 it was too much, especially with only 16gb, but it's on offer at expansys today for £340, and that is insta-buy price.

Yeah, I got one for 500 AUD.... which is like 400 Euro but still super cheap for the phone. Especially over here.

That's pretty funny we both upgraded from the same phone at the same time at almost the same price though. Here's hoping Nexus is awesome!!

Just ordered myself a GN, I have questions to prepare for its arrival. (I'm in the UK, so gsm model)

- how is battery life on latest update? Any better than launch?
- is a screen protector worthwhile, or is it gorilla glass/toughenedmaterial?
- extended battery. Any good third party ones that fit without need for new backplate?

Also, most of my impressions are from reviews when it first launched, so have there been any changes to the phone since then. Ie, some complained of quiet ringer, low brightness of screen etc.

Thanks all!

Anyone?

I forgot, one more question, is there a one-click root solution, or am I going to have to flash something like CF Root?

Mafro

Anyone?

I forgot, one more question, is there a one-click root solution, or am I going to have to flash something like CF Root?

My GSM model is still on 4.0.2 so I can't comment on improved battery life with the latest version, but the battery live is already pretty good anyway.

I don't bother with screen protectors on phones anymore anymore. The phone doesn't have Gorilla Glass, but it does have something that's the equivalent.

You'll need a new backplate for the extended battery due to its larger size.

The Galaxy Nexus Tool Kit makes unlocking the bootloader and rooting very easy. It's not one click, but the instructions are very simple and the program takes you through it. I used it the other day without any prior experience with rooting an Android phone and had no problems.

beat

You'll need a new backplate for the extended battery due to its larger size.
Speaking of the backplate, I got a thin protective case for my phone that's got a clear back - it actually looks kinda cool to leave the phone backplate off, since the case still protects the phone. So is there any reason I'd need the backplate?

krzy123

broke down ordered a g-nex.

verizon has it for $199 just for today for new/existing customers, you can also use your NE2 if you order over the phone or contact customer service after the order (they'll credit it, info via slickdeals so ymmv)

Top Bottom