• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Piano

Banned
I'm sticking to the stock, rooted 4.0.4 ROM right now because it zips and barely sips battery charge. I'm considering switching kernels though - is there one that's stable that offers better battery life? I've heard leankernel is good?

reKon

Banned
I'm sticking to the stock, rooted 4.0.4 ROM right now because it zips and barely sips battery charge. I'm considering switching kernels though - is there one that's stable that offers better battery life? I've heard leankernel is good?

Tried Leankernel (2.3) a couple of days ago. As I'm typing this I'm on nearly 41 hours of battery with 2 1/2 hours of screen time (that's with AOKP 26 as my rom). I just didn't bother charging at night cause I didn't feel I needed to. Other than screen time, the terrible signal is what is killing the battery. Everything is nice and smooth, better than Franco's rom where my Android OS was much higher more of the time

broke down ordered a g-nex.

verizon has it for $199 just for today for new/existing customers, you can also use your NE2 if you order over the phone or contact customer service after the order (they'll credit it, info via slickdeals so ymmv)

Existing... as in not time for your discount?!

Husker86

Existing... as in not time for your discount?!

No, as in you're already a customer but eligible for upgrade (pricing is different between new/eligible existing customers a lot of the time).

Don't ever hope for a deal to be offered to you if you're not eligible for an upgrade, carriers don't give a shit about you until you are.

Piano

Banned
Tried Leankernel (2.3) a couple of days ago. As I'm typing this I'm on nearly 41 hours of battery with 2 1/2 hours of screen time (that's with AOKP 26 as my rom). I just didn't bother charging at night cause I didn't feel I needed to. Other than screen time, the terrible signal is what is killing the battery. Everything is nice and smooth, better than Franco's rom where my Android OS was much higher more of the time

Does it work with 4.0.4? Can't seem to find a clear answer in the thread.

Piano

Banned
Ah yes, I was looking at XDA, not RootzWiki.

Contemplating jumping to AOKP...but I figure I might as well wait until the 4.0.4 source code is released and the updates are rolled in since it's already so damn good.

Really all I want is inbuilt CPU control and the notification bar toggles.

Mrcapcom

Finally got my G Nexus paided 150 for it at best buy and got my extended for 25 from VZW
12+-+1

Its really nice I need to find some cool wallpapers, And load up what apps I can. I think ill stay stock for awhile then make the jump to unlocked bootloader and roms etc.

One question though if you unlock the bootloader and say I want to send it in for repair or something can i lock the bootloader back to send it in or is it a one time thing?

Oozer3993

Finally got my G Nexus paided 150 for it at best buy and got my extended for 25 from VZW
12+-+1

Its really nice I need to find some cool wallpapers, And load up what apps I can. I think ill stay stock for awhile then make the jump to unlocked bootloader and roms etc.

One question though if you unlock the bootloader and say I want to send it in for repair or something can i lock the bootloader back to send it in or is it a one time thing?

You can unlock/relock the bootloader to your heart's content. But a quick note: unlocking the bootloader completely wipes the phone. I did it right away so I didn't have to worry about reinstalling everything.

Mrcapcom

You can unlock/relock the bootloader to your heart's content. But a quick note: unlocking the bootloader completely wipes the phone. I did it right away so I didn't have to worry about reinstalling everything.

Yea I only had the phone for like 1 day lol and I haven't loaded that much stuff on it. I think ill unlock it later im used to the constant wipes lol
If I have time today ill try unlocking though. Is it a long process?

thespot84

My friend is having a gnex issue so I'd though someone here might have had the same experience. He said:

the sound is fine when the screen is on but it crackles when the screen is off

Just thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

My friend is having a gnex issue so I'd though someone here might have had the same experience. He said:

Just thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

My issue wasn't like your friend's, but the external speaker just conked out one day using speakerphone while talking on the phone. When headphones are plugged in it's fine, the earpiece is fine, but anything that uses the external speaker (youtube, games, websites, various tones, etc.) was kaput.

Verizon couldn't figure it out so they had a replacement overnighted to me the next day. It was refurbished unfortunately, but hey, it works.

Day 1 GNexus on stock.

womp

Is there a way I can play games using a Wii remote?

If it is for emulation, simply search for Robert Broglia in the Android Market and pickup some of the best emulators ever created on any platform.

Built in Wii remote support without extra software.

His SNES emu is free and can be side loaded from here...

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex

You cannot get any better emulators for Android than his. SNESoid is a piece of crap with a dev that doesn't support his own stuff, (no offense to Mafro who suggested it, just pointing out a fact. ;) ).

Piano

Banned
Well, switched over to lean kernel. It doesn't drain at all when the screen is off but its drain is waaaay worse than it was before when the screen is on. Like a one percent drop every few minutes...

Are there any tweaks I'm missing or should I switch? Should I switch back to stock (which was.working pretty well, about 2.5 to 3 hours.of screen on time) or what's the next best kernel? Franco?

I'm on stock 4.0.4 rooted.

godnorazi

Banned
i was pretty close to picking up a g.nex this week since they were on sale for $530 but i think im going to hold off until the s3 or the htc one

i cant get over the mediocre camera on the g.nex since it would be a downgrade from my previous 2 phones

Mafro

If it is for emulation, simply search for Robert Broglia in the Android Market and pickup some of the best emulators ever created on any platform.

Built in Wii remote support without extra software.

His SNES emu is free and can be side loaded from here...

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex

You cannot get any better emulators for Android than his. SNESoid is a piece of crap with a dev that doesn't support his own stuff, (no offense to Mafro who suggested it, just pointing out a fact. ;) ).
Snes9x-ex was the one I meant to say in the first place.

Thanks for the emu info. What about for something like the Sonic games for Android, or GTA3? I assume those games have a provision for hard key controls for sliders like Droid 4, etc. Is there any way for a Bluetooth device to emulate a phone's hard keys?

Beezy

12+-+1

I want your wallpaper.

krzy123

Got mine last night, loving the phone itself.

I get LTE at my house, but it seemed really flaky, running speedtest got me 6Mbps, but I only got one completed because the upload wouldn't complete. Doesn't seem to handoff to 3G worked great either, but its probably because of the marginal 4G issues. It would basically drop to no service. Doing some reading looks like the signal reporting won't be fixed until 4.0.4, but I'll keep an eye on it (signal level was from 1-2 bars when available).

Fiance loves the voice quality compared to the OG droid I had, but ended up dropping a call and a couple of her calls to me went straight to voicemail or didn't ring. This almost never happened on the droid, so i'll keep an eye on it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Android OS 4.0.2 update now hitting the Rogers Galaxy Nexus (Canada)
Over the past couple days we've received tips that TELUS, WIND, Mobilicity Galaxy Nexus users have successfully received the upgrade to OS 4.0.2 (up from OS 4.0.1). We're now getting reports that Rogers customers have been given the notification.

Isn't 4.0.3 supposed to be the baseline firmware?! On reflection, the rollout of ICS has been extremely bad. Is it even available for the Nexus S yet?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Verizon requires me to fax them my SS card, driver's license, and utility bill in order for my Galaxy Nexus 4G purchase to go through. v_v Something about not having credit history, bah. Bah I say!
OK well I did just get my first debit card today... might have jumped the gun.

AmazonWireless support was surprisingly great though, English-native speaker it seemed like (and up at this hour!) Good job Amazon. Best prices and best customer support? <3

Kozmo

This is so frustrating. I'm still stuck on 4.0.2 in Hong Kong. The upgrade from 4.0.1 took place after the Verizon nexus was already updated to 4.0.3. When we got the 4.0.2 update, it came bundled with a Samsung-branded Chinese keyboard (which is pretty crappy in and of itself). Samsung's Facebook page places the blame on Google, but we all know better. And there's been absolutely no word on when we will get our update. Our venting channels are so limited here that I've resorted to bitching on GAF :-\

gcubed

This is so frustrating. I'm still stuck on 4.0.2 in Hong Kong. The upgrade from 4.0.1 took place after the Verizon nexus was already updated to 4.0.3. When we got the 4.0.2 update, it came bundled with a Samsung-branded Chinese keyboard (which is pretty crappy in and of itself). Samsung's Facebook page places the blame on Google, but we all know better. And there's been absolutely no word on when we will get our update. Our venting channels are so limited here that I've resorted to bitching on GAF :-\

Verizon is on 4.0.2

There is no official Galaxy Nexus release above 4.0.2

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, so the older Nexus is up to 4.0.4, but the newest Nexus is still on 4.0.2? What is this?

Sprint moneyhats.

I have a theory someone in Google with authority really, really loves the Nexus S 4G. Currently the only one with Google Wallet (officially) and now it's ahead on ICS.

Husker86

Verizon requires me to fax them my SS card, driver's license, and utility bill in order for my Galaxy Nexus 4G purchase to go through. v_v Something about not having credit history, bah. Bah I say!
OK well I did just get my first debit card today... might have jumped the gun.

AmazonWireless support was surprisingly great though, English-native speaker it seemed like (and up at this hour!) Good job Amazon. Best prices and best customer support? <3

Unfortunately your new debit card won't do a thing for your credit score.

daoster

Question to your flashers! Do you guys use ROM manager, or do you just do it all through CWM?

EDIT: Also, AOKP or 4.04? decisions decisions...

Mrcapcom

I'm runing Codename Android atm i like it so far. I have noticed that my headphone jack is low when playing music until I get a notification smh anyone have that issue?

The bounds of overclocking Best Galaxy have been broken! By finding a way to disable the Trim command which triggers the thermal clockspeed throttling imposed by Google and Samsung, it is possible to push the Tuna as high as 1.65 ghz! Assuming your CPU can take it, of course! I'm now running a notrim version of Leankernel (2.40exp1-notrim) and I'm typing out this post at 1.52 ghz. The power of Best Galaxy is unleashed!

Top Bottom