• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gutshot

Does this affect OTA updates in the future?

You mean for the OS? I don't see how it could, considering it is just an app installed on the phone. Can apps interrupt an update to the OS itself?

If you are talking about whether Google Wallet itself would update OTA, then the answer is no. When I first installed this version, it prompted me that there was a newer version and sent me to the Play store, but you can't actually download it since it recognizes you are on the Verzion Nexus. And, in fact, you don't want the newer version because Google added some checks into the app that disables the ability to activate your account if you're on a Verizon Nexus. The older version (the one I installed) doesn't have that and works fine once you have it installed.

You mean for the OS? I don't see how it could, considering it is just an app installed on the phone. Can apps interrupt an update to the OS itself?

If you are talking about whether Google Wallet itself would update OTA, then the answer is no. When I first installed this version, it prompted me that there was a newer version and sent me to the Play store, but you can't actually download it since it recognizes you are on the Verzion Nexus. And, in fact, you don't want the newer version because Google added some checks into the app that disables the ability to activate your account if you're on a Verizon Nexus. The older version (the one I installed) doesn't have that and works fine once you have it installed.

Which apk did you use?

I've tried this, no dice.

I've now uninstalled and reinstalled drivers about 50 times :(. I downloaded a tool kit and it has step by step instructions, I think I figured out what went wrong but I cant seem to get my drivers back to where I had them. Basically when I connected via download mode, "Android 1.0" showed up in device list. This was limited connectivity and what caused me pain but you just update those drivers and it should work. The problem is I can't get back to that, now when connected in that mode my device shows up as "Samsung modem".

Cudder

I got my replacement Galaxy Nexus (white) today to replace the one with the cracked screen. Just finished flashing 4.0.4 yakju on it too. Feels good man.

Although the very last step in the guide I was following said to clear a cache on a folder I was supposed to have and execute something to the phone via command, but I think for some reason I had the folder contents without the folder itself, so I didn't do that last step. It says Im on yakju now anyway so I suppose I'm alright.

G.O.O.

After a long hesitation between Galaxy Nexus, Xperia S and HTC one S, I finally bought the GN a few minutes ago (because it was on sale and I had to hurry).

Please tell me I won't regret it, it'll be my very first smartphone.

3phemeral

After a long hesitation between Galaxy Nexus, Xperia S and HTC one S, I finally bought the GN a few minutes ago (because it was on sale and I had to hurry).

I resisted the smart phone craze until I stumbled upon a good opportunity to get one and when I did, it was like a whole new world os possibilities opened up.

malyce

I don't always encourage people to by Galaxies as their first smartphone, but when I do, its the Galaxy Nexus. Stay thirsty my friends.

kehs

Banned

You'll regret not getting a smartphone sooner.

Okay i am borrowing a friends laptop to install 4.04 because i can't get drivers to work on my pc.

How should i approach this, should i just plug my nexus in and let it auto install drivers our should I install Samsung drivers 1.6.4.0 before i plug in the phone for the first time? I'm a bit paranoid after spending Horas trying to get it to work on my PC.

if anyone recently flashed yakju 4.04, did you manually install drivers at any point?

Cudder

Okay i am borrowing a friends laptop to install 4.04 because i can't get drivers to work on my pc.

How should i approach this, should i just plug my nexus in and let it auto install drivers our should I install Samsung drivers 1.6.4.0 before i plug in the phone for the first time? I'm a bit paranoid after spending Horas trying to get it to work on my PC.

if anyone recently flashed yakju 4.04, did you manually install drivers at any point?
I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to flashing/rooting on Android even though I've only owned Nexus smartphones.

I flashed 4.0.4 yesterday using this guide, it's pretty straightforward and easy.
http://webtrickz.com/guide-to-updat...oid-4-0-4-and-get-future-updates-from-google/

JoeFu

Banned
Even though I've had the phone for months now, these price cuts still make me salty.

Same here. I got it from that one place for 650 or something. I don't even remember the website. At least if anything happens to my phone it'll be easy to replace.

lol nvm, got it for 560 on daily steals, doesn't make me that salty anymore. Had the phone for half a year already,so wahtevs.

SimleuqiR

datnexus0000.gif

:-D

I made it myself. Be kind.

Thank you MS.

Cudder

Nvm, I think I successfully flashed this mofo to 4.04 FINALLYYY!! Thanks for the link man.

Btw, did you flash the radio? What does it do exactly?
Radio? No I didn't, I only flashed what it says to in the guide. Also after you flash the 4 things it says to wipe the cache from the adb and fast loader and then execute something to your phone. I skipped that step because I couldn't find the folder they were talking about. You?

Pachimari

Seriously, the Galaxy Nexus is on sale this week here in Denmark for $453 (I'm not even sure they got any more in stock) and I'm very close to joining Android.

The situation is, that I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 but I'm really into the OS and the new voice stuff with Jelly Bean, I also use Google Calendar, Google Reader, Gmail and just started up my Google+ again. I even use Chrome as my default browser on all of my Macs, so nice that it can synchronise with Chrome for Android.

Would it be worth it at that price? I totally dig the design and button-less front. Is the battery the same, worse or better than iPhone 4 though?

It's the GSM one and as I'm located in Denmark, I guess I have to flash it to update the OS to the latest versions myself, is that even easy? By the way, it uses a normal SIM and not a Micro-SIM right?

-----

Apps I'm thinking of getting:

Skype, Viber, Google+, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, chompSMS (BiteSMS), IM+, Google Reader, Instapaper, Mobilbilletter, Danke Mobilbank, XE Currency, Spotify, Onavo Extend, Dropbox, Twitter, Instagram, Synology apps - I actually think most of the apps i use on iPhone 4 is on Android as well.

Any great apps that's only out for Android and not already on iOS? There's free turn-by-turn navigation in all countries? Is there a widget for quick play control for Spotify?

Radio? No I didn't, I only flashed what it says to in the guide. Also after you flash the 4 things it says to wipe the cache from the adb and fast loader and then execute something to your phone. I skipped that step because I couldn't find the folder they were talking about. You?

I was gonna ask you but I figured it out while doing it. Basically the platform tools rar you download, you make into the fastboot-adb folder and then run that in command to clear cache. I'm not sure how necessary it is but I did it anyway. I say that because my phone boot up after each flash I did so I don't see the big deal. I had to power down the phone after each step manually.

Cudder

I was gonna ask you but I figured it out while doing it. Basically the platform tools rar you download, you make into the fastboot-adb folder and then run that in command to clear cache. I'm not sure how necessary it is but I did it anyway. I say that because my phone boot up after each flash I did so I don't see the big deal. I had to power down the phone after each step manually.
Interesting. My phones been flawless after flashing 4.0.4 so I suppose I'm alright. Though while flashing the 4 things it did get stuck on boot up at the google logo once. I had to pull the battery and get it back in boot loader mode to continue flashing the files. Scared me.

Nope storage was untouched, it even had my wallpaper from the last rom when I booted up.

Awesome, I flashed a 4.0.4 rom to my GSM GN and it left everything in tact, just wanted to make sure it would be the same with this rom.

Well, I know what I'll be doing this evening!

Any noticeable difference in speed/performance?

DarkFlow

Banned
Awesome, I flashed a 4.0.4 rom to my GSM GN and it left everything in tact, just wanted to make sure it would be the same with this rom.

Well, I know what I'll be doing this evening!

Any noticeable difference in speed/performance?
No lag as far as I can tell. Everything just smoothly opens. Google now understands most everything I throw at it. It set a alarm, got me the weather, sport scores and even opens web address I tell it. I did find it does not understand neogaf, it thinks I'm saying neo gas no matter how slow I say it lol.

Pachimari

I'm gonna head out to buy a Galaxy Nexus I think and before setting anything up I would like to flash it and get Jelly Bean. But how do I go about this? Is there a step by step guide? I have never flashed an Android phone before, in fact, it have been 3 years since I had an Android - now rocking a jailbroken iPhone 4.

It'll be a Galaxy Nexus bought here in Denmark, so I guess it's GSM.

I'm gonna head out to buy a Galaxy Nexus I think and before setting anything up I would like to flash it and get Jelly Bean. But how do I go about this? Is there a step by step guide? I have never flashed an Android phone before, in fact, it have been 3 years since I had an Android - now rocking a jailbroken iPhone 4.

It'll be a Galaxy Nexus bought here in Denmark, so I guess it's GSM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

Top Bottom