• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

DXPett1

Well I have a google play Nexus, but I would bet it would work on any if you do the switch and change builds. I flashed right from AOKP 40 to this and it worked fine.

So yes, Takju. Unfortunately the OTA is a delta upgrade which is essentially a patch and relies on what was previously on the phone and not a full update.

So basically you have two options

Takju (Google Play Store GNs) - Use the OTA, upgrade means data is intact
Any other GSM - Use a custom 4.1 ROM like http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849 Full wipe mean data is gone

xtop

flashed jb this morning. i'm loving the new notifications. and wow is it smooth. i don't know if its reached iphone level yet or not, but it's pretty great. google now is pretty slick but i'm not sure how often i'll use it, i'll have to keep playing with it.

DarkFlow

Banned
So yes, Takju. Unfortunately the OTA is a delta upgrade which is essentially a patch and relies on what was previously on the phone and not a full update.

So basically you have two options

Takju (Google Play Store GNs) - Use the OTA, upgrade means data is intact
Any other GSM - Use a custom 4.1 ROM like http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849 Full wipe mean data is gone
I used the one you linked too, I did not use the ota. The delta ota Needed a build that is no longer on my phone, And it did not wipe my data. Hell I had the wallpaper from aokp when it started up.

People on yakju are flashing it with success. This is a FULL ROM.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849&page=41

Pachimari

Got home with a brand new Galaxy Nexus after driving for 1.5 hours!
I'm now back on the Android bandwagon after having a HTC Magic three years ago - also rocking iOS devices of course.

Now I'm gonna see if I can flash my GSM European model with Jelly Bean, this is SO not gonna be easy for me. =/

Pachimari

Do I need the Galaxy Toolkit in order to flash my brand new Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean? I don't seem to get this guide, kinda confusing me, especially as I'm sitting with a Mac.

And now I'm reading this, what is 'flash in CWM'? 'ClockworkMod'?

Do I need the Galaxy Toolkit in order to flash my brand new Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean? I don't seem to get this guide, kinda confusing me, especially as I'm sitting with a Mac.

And now I'm reading this, what is 'flash in CWM'? 'ClockworkMod'?

I haven't messed around with the g-nex so I can't help you with your first questions but "flash in CWM" just means you have to reboot into Clock Work Mod and install zip from sd (there should be an option that reads just that). Flashing is just installing the zip. Nerds love to give cool sounding names to things :)

Might actually consider flashing since this has some stuff I want. I think I'll wait until mid July though to give Verizon the benefit of the doubt since that's the official release date.

Circle T

I will miss some of the nice CM9 tweaks I've become used to, but it is SOOOOO worth it to try this. They weren't joking with the "Project Butter" name. So good.

gutshot

Might actually consider flashing since this has some stuff I want. I think I'll wait until mid July though to give Verizon the benefit of the doubt since that's the official release date.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. If Verizon doesn't announce or release anything by the time Google officially updates the GSM models, than I will have to assume we are in for the standard 3-6 month wait.

kinggroin

Banned
So strange...

My play store was updated last night. It didn't have the typical category frames on the left hand side.

Today, it's back to the previous version...

?

JoeFu

Banned
So I'm a super noob when it comes to this, have only flashed stuff on my touchpad, is it easier on the GN? I really want that butter.

A good guide anywhere?

3phemeral

So I'm a super noob when it comes to this, have only flashed stuff on my touchpad, is it easier on the GN? I really want that butter.

A good guide anywhere?

I just used the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit. It's pretty self explanatory (the program will guide you through most the process, you just need to know what version phone you're using). Once you unlock it, just get Clockwork Mod on there, the JB ROM (whichever version you have), reboot into recovery, make a Nandroid backup through recovery (it's just the backup option when you're in cwm recovery) and then choose to flash from sdcard and flash the ROM you placed on your phone earlier.

JoeFu

Banned
I just used the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit. It's pretty self explanatory (the program will guide you through most the process, you just need to know what version phone you're using). Once you unlock it, just get Clockwork Mod on there, the JB ROM (whichever version you have), reboot into recovery, make a Nandroid backup through recovery (it's just the backup option when you're in cwm recovery) and then choose to flash from sdcard and flash the ROM you placed on your phone earlier.

Sweet thanks. I wanted to waste some time before the NBA draft so hopefully I can get this all done in 2 hours.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Stuff like this makes me regret my Note purchase.

I feel like the new radio has worse reception than the old. I'm in my basement granted, but the other one consistently had more bars. Do I need the new one or can I revert back? I think this one is European as it has XX.

DarkFlow

Banned
Your going to be wait till long after July then. Google only said that it's coming to the gsm in July. Knowing Verizon you'll see JB sometime next year.

Pachimari

I haven't messed around with the g-nex so I can't help you with your first questions but "flash in CWM" just means you have to reboot into Clock Work Mod and install zip from sd (there should be an option that reads just that). Flashing is just installing the zip. Nerds love to give cool sounding names to things :)
Oh okay, I have to admit this flashing still seems very complicated to me in my head. I'll try play with it tomorrow but I'm afraid of bricking my new Galaxy Nexus.

How can I see what version phone I'm using? Is it in 'settings > about' or something like that? I'm gonna turn on the Galaxy Nexus for the first time tomorrow, but thought I would flash it before even playing around with it.

3phemeral

Oh okay, I have to admit this flashing still seems very complicated to me in my head. I'll try play with it tomorrow but I'm afraid of bricking my new Galaxy Nexus.

How can I see what version phone I'm using? Is it in 'settings > about' or something like that? I'm gonna turn on the Galaxy Nexus for the first time tomorrow, but thought I would flash it before even playing around with it.

Hrm -- well, I think you can go to your About Phone section for most the details. Mainly you're just concerned with what version OTA you have so you can install the right drivers. You can always manually install them, anyway. After that, you should be able to unlock, though I understand that even as seemingly simple it is, it's always stressful for a newbie to go through that process. Just make sure to read all the directions.

LyleLanley might be able to help, seeing as how he's new to the process and just got his phone recently. It's been a while for me since I did it ages ago and have mainly been flashing new ROMs, so I've forgotten a lot of the finer details you might be concerned about. It was easier than my Droid2, that's for damned sure.

You said you were from Denmark right? So that means you do not have the takju (american play store) version so do what this guys says below

To "flash" this rom all you need to do is make sure you are rooted and have CWM installed. How exactly to root and install CWM on the g-nex I am unsure of...sorry.

Pachimari

You said you were from Denmark right? So that means you do not have the takju (american play store) version so do what this guys says below

To "flash" this rom all you need to do is make sure you are rooted and have CWM installed. How exactly to root and install CWM on the g-nex I am unsure of...sorry.

Thanks a bunch, I'm gonna follow this guide.

I think I just installed a CWM, at least it's a recovery for GSM. Actually I think this one is wrong. Anyway trying to follow the guide. :)

Hrm -- well, I think you can go to your About Phone section for most the details. Mainly you're just concerned with what version OTA you have so you can install the right drivers. You can always manually install them, anyway. After that, you should be able to unlock, though I understand that even as seemingly simple it is, it's always stressful for a newbie to go through that process. Just make sure to read all the directions.

LyleLanley might be able to help, seeing as how he's new to the process and just got his phone recently. It's been a while for me since I did it ages ago and have mainly been flashing new ROMs, so I've forgotten a lot of the finer details you might be concerned about. It was easier than my Droid2, that's for damned sure.
And thanks for this answer as well, I'm gonna check it out.

3phemeral

So...can I just flash the takju rom and then use the ota on xda to move over after unlocking?
I have no idea what these new terms are. It's like, takju, yakju or something, right? One of them being the GSM USA Play version, and the other being...uh, the GNex Google gave out that's based off of an older update from their Play store version?

All I know is I have a CDMA version and I waited for a thread for that specific version to pop up on either XDA or Rootzwiki.

That's probably one of the main confusions I had at first when I was figuring out what ROMs I could use.

Anyway, found a list for the newbies.

Toro = Verizon
Maguro = GSM/HSPA+
Toroplus = Sprint

Takju = Maguro + Wallet
Yakju = Maguro - wallet

Really don't know what you can do with the other versions since I pay attention only to Toro. :)

Pachimari

So when flashing with CWM, it's actually using CWM Touch Based Recovery on the phone itself and Odin on the computer?

Anyway, I'm downloading the stuff the guide tells me to now.

When flashing CWM, do I do it like in this guide?

3phemeral

So when flashing with CWM, it's actually using CWM Touch Based Recovery on the phone itself and Odin on the computer?

I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the touch-based version after downloading ROM Manager. When you open ROM Manager, the very first option should be to select the type of phone you have, then it'll automatically download the recovery version for that phone.

Pachimari

I guess the first thing I'll do is to actually open up the box and turn on my Galaxy Nexus. Then find out what version I have and I guess download the ROM Manager. So one flash with CWM on the phone itself? I want to punch myself for being so dumb by the way.

When flashing CWM, do I do it like in this guide?

Please tell me you aren't installing things from the galaxy note forum..

also the first statement is confusing.

Here's how I did it with the gs2. Through odin I installed CWM. After that I never used Odin or hooked the phone up to the computer, it was all through CWM. I would reboot into CWM by pressing power key and volume buttons. This all varies between phones though so that's why I'm not much help.

Also CWM Touch is just a touch version of CWM. Unless a guide specifically asks to install the touch version I would avoid it since non touch version is usually more stable.

And also don't feel bad for being a noob. I was like this when I first started and with the g-nex I am still a noob.

3phemeral

I guess the first thing I'll do is to actually open up the box and turn on my Galaxy Nexus. Then find out what version I have and I guess download the ROM Manager. So one flash with CWM on the phone itself? I want to punch myself for being so dumb by the way.

Oh no, don't worry about it. It's always stressful when you're messing with an expensive toy. I don't worry about it anymore because mine is already unlocked, and once that's done, it's smooth sailing for flashing ROMs.

You should make sure you have all the necessary components on your phone before doing anything at all. The ROM, Superuser (if you want), and install recovery on it.

Once you do all that and get recovery flashed on your phone, you can proceed to unlock it. After unlocking it (the difficult part), you can reboot into recovery. While you're in that menu, just follow the directions the dev gives you.

It's usually:

1) Nandroid backup (just choose "backup" once you're in the recovery menu and wait...a while.
2) When that's done, do "Factory Reset/Wipe Data"
3) "Wipe Cache"
4) Go to "Advanced" --> select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" (optional)
5) Go to main menu --> install from SD --> choose a zip from sd card (sd card == internal memory)
6) Find the ROM and confirm you want to flash it
7) Do the same if you're flashing superuser too
8) reboot and enjoy

Also, after you unlock, even if you run into issues after you flash the ROM, it's usually easy to get out of it. For instance: I just now tried flashing Milestone 4 Franco Kernel via his app and tried autoflashing it. It didn't download the file but rebooted anyway, attempting to install the 0-size zip. The phone wouldn't boot at all, so I just removed the battery, went into manual recovery (power button + up & down button when you power on), selected "reboot into recovery", and then reflashed the ROM without wiping (because it was the same ROM) and it's fine now.

Pachimari

Please tell me you aren't installing things from the galaxy note forum..

also the first statement is confusing.

Here's how I did it with the gs2. Through odin I installed CWM. After that I never used Odin or hooked the phone up to the computer, it was all through CWM. I would reboot into CWM by pressing power key and volume buttons. This all varies between phones though so that's why I'm not much help.

And also don't feel bad for being a noob. I was like this when I first started and with the g-nex I am still a noob.
Oops, I'm gonna ignore that guide now.

Oh no, don't worry about it. It's always stressful when you're messing with an expensive toy. I don't worry about it anymore because mine is already unlocked, and once that's done, it's smooth sailing for flashing ROMs.

You should make sure you have all the necessary components on your phone before doing anything at all. The ROM, Superuser (if you want), and install recovery on it.

Once you do all that and get recovery flashed on your phone, you can proceed to unlock it. After unlocking it (the difficult part), you can reboot into recovery. While you're in that menu, just follow the directions the dev gives you.

It's usually:

1) Nandroid backup (just choose "backup" once you're in the recovery menu and wait...a while.
2) When that's done, do "Factory Reset/Wipe Data"
3) "Wipe Cache"
4) Go to "Advanced" --> select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" (optional)
5) Go to main menu --> install from SD --> choose a zip from sd card (sd card == internal memory)
6) Find the ROM and confirm you want to flash it
7) Do the same if you're flashing superuser too
8) reboot and enjoy

Also, after you unlock, even if you run into issues after you flash the ROM, it's usually easy to get out of it. For instance: I just now tried flashing Milestone 4 Franco Kernel via his app and tried autoflashing it. It didn't download the file but rebooted anyway, attempting to install the 0-size zip. The phone wouldn't boot at all, so I just removed the battery, went into manual recovery (power button + up button when you power on), select "reboot into recovery", and then reflashed the ROM without wiping (because it was the same ROM) and it's fine now.
Gonna look into this when the girlfriend has gone to school.

This is gonna be very interesting and exciting.

3phemeral

Oops, I'm gonna ignore that guide now.

Yeah, be very (quadruple emphasis!!!!) careful about the version you install because you could really badly brick your phone. I once accidentally installed the wrong kernel on my tf101 and it was hell trying to figure out how to fix it. I narrowly lost my device completely because of a very easily avoidable mistake.

This is gonna be very interesting and exciting.
Once you get passed the stressful part, it's really just fun trying out different ROMs. I'm liking JB so much that I'm gonna stick with it for a while to see if I want to go back to AOKP. But AOKP is an excellent ROM if you ever think of trying something else. I'd recommend waiting for milestone versions (stable versions) and M6 should be just around the corner.

Also, I mentioned previously that I reflashed the ROM without issues because it was the same ROM, but it's also generally good practice to make sure you only do that for the same ROM of the same version number (file structure is exactly the same).

Sometimes, when ROMs go through new version iterations, the file structure changes because the devs are moving things around in order to fix issues. You can flash the same ROM of a few versions later, like AOKP b25 top b26 (that's called a "dirty" flash), but you can run into issues due to possible incompatibility.

Pachimari

Yeah I'm gonna be very careful.
Right now I'm actually just trying to find out how many GB's my device has - strangely I didn't think about it when I bought it. The package doesn't say if it's 8 or 16GB and the stores website and catalogue says nothing. Guess I'll call them tomorrow.

Btw, which has the better camera? iPhone 4 or Galaxy Nexus?

3phemeral

Yeah I'm gonna be very careful.
Right now I'm actually just trying to find out how many GB's my device has - strangely I didn't think about it when I bought it. The package doesn't say if it's 8 or 16GB and the stores website and catalogue says nothing. Guess I'll call them tomorrow.

Btw, which has the better camera? iPhone 4 or Galaxy Nexus?
No clue, never owned an iPhone. Might be quicker to do a Google search.

Top Bottom