• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Cudder

Yeah I'm gonna be very careful.
Right now I'm actually just trying to find out how many GB's my device has - strangely I didn't think about it when I bought it. The package doesn't say if it's 8 or 16GB and the stores website and catalogue says nothing. Guess I'll call them tomorrow.

Btw, which has the better camera? iPhone 4 or Galaxy Nexus?

iPhone 4 by fucking miles.

womp

Just installed Jelly Bean on my Verizon GNex.

Absolutely incredible update. Not a stutter in the slightest. Even live wallpaper lag has been finally solved. Google Now and the new search plus the awesome camera updates? Just freaking amazing.

Google knocked it out of the park. Wifi and 3G/4G are working fine with this leaked ROM as well so anyone looking to try it, go for it, it is running fantastic.

As a side note, IMO there is nothing wrong with the GNex camera...It works great and I get tired of people dogging on it. If people would actually take a moment to focus their shots properly, it probably wouldn't get the bad rap that it does. Is it the best smartphone camera in the world? No, but it gets the job done.

With the way Jelly Bean is running I can't imagine ever getting rid of this phone any time soon.

Just installed Jelly Bean on my Verizon GNex.

Absolutely incredible update. Not a stutter in the slightest. Even live wallpaper lag has been finally solved. Google Now and the new search plus the awesome camera updates? Just freaking amazing.

Google knocked it out of the park. Wifi and 3G/4G are working fine with this leaked ROM as well so anyone looking to try it, go for it, it is running fantastic.

As a side note, IMO there is nothing wrong with the GNex camera...It works great and I get tired of people dogging on it. If people would actually take a moment to focus their shots properly, it probably wouldn't get the bad rap that it does. Is it the best smartphone camera in the world? No, but it gets the job done.

With the way Jelly Bean is running I can't imagine ever getting rid of this phone any time soon.

Just to confirm, which one did you use (are there even different ones for Verizon Gnex?)? I've heard a lot of complaints about the WiFi on the "Team Liquid" released one.

womp

Just to confirm, which one did you use (are there even different ones for Verizon Gnex?)? I've heard a lot of complaints about the WiFi on the "Team Liquid" released one.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28473-ro...-jellybean-everything-functionsoptimizations/

Use the second mirror, super fast.

I've had it installed for about 4 hours now. Version 3 (The latest) has all the fixes in it and it's been running like a freaking champ. Go for it. WiFi is fixed and working fine now.

After using AOKP so long though, now I am missing my 4G widget and battery percentage icon. :/ heheh

BTW, anyone new to the GNex and looking to Root and unlock their bootloader to try this or just root their current setup...

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/for...cdma/1445-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

I've heard nothing but good things about it and it makes it insanely easy.

rozay

Banned

It was a terrible camera for a $600 device last fall, though restoring the original focus method from 4.0.1 in 4.0.4/4.1 helps things. Sucks when the picture quality is barely better than your nexus one and when both phones are beaten by the 5 year old N95 still sitting in my desk :p

kehs

Banned
It was a terrible camera for a $600 device last fall, though restoring the original focus method from 4.0.1 in 4.0.4/4.1 helps things. Sucks when the picture quality is barely better than your nexus one and when both phones are beaten by the 5 year old N95 still sitting in my desk :p

That's a little extreme shin.

womp

I hate what Google has done to the Google + app. Thank goodness for Titanium Backup and that late May backup I made of the prior (before revision) version.

Not only does it waste screen space but I swear it is killing the battery too.

iavi

Be patient! It can take up to five minutes on the initial startup boot.

Yeah, it actually took WAY long - 10~15 mins, which was unusual, but it's up and running perfectly now. Jellybean is cray! I will actually use the hell out of Google Now.

3phemeral

So I didn't do it because drivers wouldn't install for some reason..... oh well. I can wait till mid July

I used Wifi File Explorer to send the ROM to my phone. I couldn't get USB to connect for some reason. Just make sure the filesize matches. The first time I had trouble, I had some trouble with the school network and it only transferred ~66 MB of data. I wouldn't experience that had I been on my home network, though.

Yeah, it actually took WAY long - 10~15 mins, which was unusual, but it's up and running perfectly now. Jellybean is cray! I will actually use the hell out of Google Now.

Strange. The first time I did it, boot time was less than a minute. The second time I flashed, I had to wait 6-10 minutes.

Pachimari

Is the boot wait time only that long the first time after you have flashed your Galaxy Nexus? Or will it have a long boot time everytime?

My girl is in school now by the way, so I'll look into my new Galaxy Nexus. Haven't even opened it yet. But I'll call the store I bought it from first, to hear if it's 8, 16 or 32GB.

3phemeral

Is the boot wait time only that long the first time after you have flashed your Galaxy Nexus? Or will it have a long boot time everytime?

My girl is in school now by the way, so I'll look into my new Galaxy Nexus. Haven't even opened it yet. But I'll call the store I bought it from first, to hear if it's 8, 16 or 32GB.

It's usually pretty long. Don't panic if it takes 5+ minutes. But do worry if it takes 10-15+ minutes.

And no, it's not the typical boot time. First ROM setup usually involves a bunch of behind-the-scenes actions so once you get that out of the way, it should be quick after you reboot a few more times. Each successive boot should take a smaller amount of time after a ROM install until it gets to about maybe a minute? JB seems to boot faster for me than 4.04 did.

Pachimari

It's usually pretty long. Don't panic if it takes 5+ minutes. But do worry if it takes 10-15+ minutes.

And no, it's not the typical boot time. First ROM setup usually involves a bunch of behind-the-scenes actions so once you get that out of the way, it should be quick after you reboot a few more times. Each successive boot should take a smaller amount of time after a ROM install until it gets to about maybe a minute? JB seems to boot faster for me than 4.04 did.

You are seriously a great help, maybe I could add you to somekind of Messenger or chat, when I go through flashing my Nexus for the first time later?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28473-ro...-jellybean-everything-functionsoptimizations/

Use the second mirror, super fast.

I've had it installed for about 4 hours now. Version 3 (The latest) has all the fixes in it and it's been running like a freaking champ. Go for it. WiFi is fixed and working fine now.

After using AOKP so long though, now I am missing my 4G widget and battery percentage icon. :/ heheh

BTW, anyone new to the GNex and looking to Root and unlock their bootloader to try this or just root their current setup...

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/for...cdma/1445-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

I've heard nothing but good things about it and it makes it insanely easy.
Thank you sire. Since then he's apparently released the "final" v5 which resolved some other minor issues. Glad I waited a bit.

Crossing fingers at the startup screen. One minute and counting...

Thank you sire. Since then he's apparently released the "final" v5 which resolved some other minor issues. Glad I waited a bit.

Crossing fingers at the startup screen. One minute and counting...

And...25 minutes later....

Am I fucked? :(

Edit:Hm. Redid the process and it worked almost instantaneously. Hope I didnt fuck anything up though

Pachimari

I'm confused like never before when it comes to flashing this phone and I don't even know what my first step should be reading this guide.

But now, I'm gonna tear open the package, start up the Galaxy Nexus and link it to my Google account, then I'll try flash it.

I'll try following these steps as well:

Oh no, don't worry about it. It's always stressful when you're messing with an expensive toy. I don't worry about it anymore because mine is already unlocked, and once that's done, it's smooth sailing for flashing ROMs.

You should make sure you have all the necessary components on your phone before doing anything at all. The ROM, Superuser (if you want), and install recovery on it.

Once you do all that and get recovery flashed on your phone, you can proceed to unlock it. After unlocking it (the difficult part), you can reboot into recovery. While you're in that menu, just follow the directions the dev gives you.

It's usually:

1) Nandroid backup (just choose "backup" once you're in the recovery menu and wait...a while.
2) When that's done, do "Factory Reset/Wipe Data"
3) "Wipe Cache"
4) Go to "Advanced" --> select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" (optional)
5) Go to main menu --> install from SD --> choose a zip from sd card (sd card == internal memory)
6) Find the ROM and confirm you want to flash it
7) Do the same if you're flashing superuser too
8) reboot and enjoy

Also, after you unlock, even if you run into issues after you flash the ROM, it's usually easy to get out of it. For instance: I just now tried flashing Milestone 4 Franco Kernel via his app and tried autoflashing it. It didn't download the file but rebooted anyway, attempting to install the 0-size zip. The phone wouldn't boot at all, so I just removed the battery, went into manual recovery (power button + up & down button when you power on), selected "reboot into recovery", and then reflashed the ROM without wiping (because it was the same ROM) and it's fine now.

But I don't even know what Nandroid is supposed to mean..

Angst

I'm confused like never before when it comes to flashing this phone and I don't even know what my first step should be reading this guide.

But now, I'm gonna tear open the package, start up the Galaxy Nexus and link it to my Google account, then I'll try flash it.

I'll try following these steps as well:

But I don't even know what Nandroid is supposed to mean..
It's the first step of the guide you quoted. "nandroid" - don't know why they call it that, but it's basically a full backup of your phone so you can restore everything - just like he said in his last paragraph.

Pachimari

But do I need to do that step, now that my phone is all new and I got nothing on it anyway?
Thanks for your explanation, easier to understand now.

Damn, Im sure I screwed something up. I backed up my data using that Toolkit and just restored it. All fine and good. My data (images, mp3s, etc) all seem to be working fine. But certain apps like Dogg Catcher and Dropbox that have certain directory filestructures (or something else Im not aware of... seems to be an issue specifically within the \storage folder) are giving me similar errors; ie that directory does not exist or you do not have access to it. I tried going through and changing permissions manually via that toolkit to some of the paths that showed up as where Dogg Catcher was saving to but no dice.

I also tried using the AnTek Explorer to try to maybe delete them but I get an error there too. Not sure what I did wrong there.

When I used back up on the Utility I did select both "System apps/data" & "Shared data"

Damn, Im sure I screwed something up. I backed up my data using that Toolkit and just restored it. All fine and good. My data (images, mp3s, etc) all seem to be working fine. But certain apps like Dogg Catcher and Dropbox that have certain directory filestructures (or something else Im not aware of... seems to be an issue specifically within the \storage folder) are giving me similar errors; ie that directory does not exist or you do not have access to it. I tried going through and changing permissions manually via that toolkit to some of the paths that showed up as where Dogg Catcher was saving to but no dice.

I also tried using the AnTek Explorer to try to maybe delete them but I get an error there too. Not sure what I did wrong there.

When I used back up on the Utility I did select both "System apps/data" & "Shared data"

If I were you, I'd reboot into Recovery, do a Factory wipe and all other wipes, then reflash the ROM and grab all the apps fresh from the Play Store. It'll be a pain in the butt, but everything will be nice and fresh.

Pachimari

I think I have gotten a zip file and now I'll try CWM it, but when I go to their official website and want to download ROM Manager, then it turns out to be an Android app..?

3phemeral

But do I need to do that step, now that my phone is all new and I got nothing on it anyway?
Thanks for your explanation, easier to understand now.
If your phone is new and you have nothing on the device, you don't have to, but it's something you'd want so you can flash back to a good, working ROM just in case you have issues. Plus, coming from a clean ROM means it won't take as long.

Pachimari

Alright, I'll do that as well - better to learn it now than never.

Though, I feel totally stuck. I'm downloading a .zip file from the guide and then I'm supposed to flash that in CWM? Then I go to the CWM website and find a ROM Manager but it's an app for Android(?).

3phemeral

I think I have gotten a zip file and now I'll try CWM it, but when I go to their official website and want to download ROM Manager, then it turns out to be an Android app..?
Yeah, go to the play store and search for "ROM manager". Open it and for the first option, select what phone you have. It'll download the recovery file for your phone.

Did you already successfully unlock and root?

Pachimari

I haven't unlocked and rooted yet, I am really blank. =/

I guess the first thing I'll do is to install ROM Manager on the phone and select which device I have.

Circle T

It's the first step of the guide you quoted. "nandroid" - don't know why they call it that, but it's basically a full backup of your phone so you can restore everything - just like he said in his last paragraph.

It's because it makes a backup image of your current ROM from the phone's internal memory. The type of internal memory phones use is NAND flash, thus the name NANDroid backup. It basically makes a bit for bit backup of the phone's current internal memory state, so that if you were to screw something up, or just want to roll back, you can just restore that image in its entirety (apps, data, settings, cache, etc) and be right back where you were.

malyce

The first thing you should do is unlock your bootloader. ABD would probably confuse you even more so get the toolkit from this thread, install it and follow the instructions to unlock your bootloader and flash a CWM Recovery. Copy the JellyBean .zip file to to phone storage, reboot into recovery, wipe date/cache/dalvik cache, then flash the zip file.

Top Bottom