• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

lunchtoast

Of course, all the time. When Sandy hit last week my Comcast decided to die *after* the storm left, the 4G tether had my whole home covered. 5 year old on the iPad, wife on her Nook etc.

:)

I've used it as backup too, but I'm thinking of using it for full time use. My isp options are expensive so I'm looking at it as an option. I might try it out for a few weeks.

I've used it as backup too, but I'm thinking of using it for full time use. My isp options are expensive so I'm looking at it as an option. I might try it out for a few weeks.

Verizon won't be very happy with you if you use your GNex as a home Internet landline and start sucking down many GB of data.

VoxPop

Anyone know where one can buy a custom battery door cover so that the phone doesn't look like a complete turd? Preferably an all solid color with no text? I plan to spray paint the sides as well.

Piano

Banned
Will that case work with an extended battery? I see that many extended batteries on amazon come with cases to accommodate the size... Any recs for extended batteries?

It works with the official extended battery. For the big double wide extended batteries you'll have to find a different case - I believe Seidio makes a case for their large battery?

adg1034

Verizon won't be very happy with you if you use your GNex as a home Internet landline and start sucking down many GB of data.

For what it's worth, I've been doing exactly that with my grandfathered data plan for a while. First with my OG Droid (3G, though), then starting this past January with my Nexus. I haven't downloaded massive amounts of Steam games or movie torrents or anything similar, which has probably helped, but Verizon's seemingly turned a blind eye. We haven't been able to get any meaningful form of broadband at our house, ever, so this has been the next best thing. Root -> built-in WiFi tether option. (Even if there's nobody else around you, still use encryption on your network. For some reason, it's helped keep the signal more reliable.)

Starting next week, though, 20 Mbps DSL is arriving, so all shall be right with the world.

pastapadre

Neo Member
Got the OTA update for my Galaxy Nexus (and Nexus 7). Now to play around with the new features. Really looking forward to trying the Photo Sphere tomorrow.

Schlep

A couple weeks ago I grabbed the 2100 mAh battery and added a few profiles to Tasker. One disables Bluetooth (unless currently connected) and mobile data while on WiFi. The others disable WiFi while connected to my car stereo and disable autosync once it hits <15% battery. Just those few changes have extended my battery life from about 8 hours with moderate use to about 15 hours with moderate use.

Not sure if it was a bad battery I had before (stock) or if the 250 mAh and Tasker profiles make that big of a difference. All I know is I no longer have to babysit the thing for battery life.

JoeFu

Banned
So I got the OTA and tried to update, but it got stuck on the android lying down with the red triangle. Any ideas how to fix that?

JoeFu

Banned
don't you have to be rooted to have flashed stock back again?

I used the galaxy nexus toolkit thing. I was rooted before but I think I lost it when I flashed jelly bean on it. Oh well I have 4.2 now so I'm happy. Sucks it wiped everything when I flashed stock back on my phone.

Also are emoji's gone for everybody else? Like when I type "star" in it used to have a little star, now it's gone

anyone experiencing unusual battery drain on 4.2? Deep sleep works for me but not all the time and not when it always should...weird as I have no new apps installed since 4.1.1

edit: google services using most of the battery and keeping the phone awake it seems...

Zeppu

Yeah, not even that faux Framework trick is working (which really means no update for our device on the servers yet).

The faux framework tricked fucked up Google Now location access as well.
Dammit, buying a nexus on launch and having to wait for updates sucks :(

My little GN just updated itself to 4.2
Can't see anything different about it aside from an improved notification bar (giving you direct access to settings), camera having the panorama option, and the clock now being more than just an alarm clock (stop watch function, etc).

Cudder

My little GN just updated itself to 4.2
Can't see anything different about it aside from an improved notification bar (giving you direct access to settings), camera having the panorama option, and the clock now being more than just an alarm clock (stop watch function, etc).

Yakju?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
4.2 on my Nexus 7 is kinda annoying when you try to swipe down your notifications bar and accidentally bring down the settings menu. Gonna take some getting used to.

I imagine it'll be a nuisance on the smaller screen too, i dont pay attention to what side of the screen in dragging down from usually.

4.2 on my Nexus 7 is kinda annoying when you try to swipe down your notifications bar and accidentally bring down the settings menu. Gonna take some getting used to.

I imagine it'll be a nuisance on the smaller screen too, i dont pay attention to what side of the screen in dragging down from usually.
Pretty sure it works differently on smaller screens. Either a two finger swipe for the settings or a button press after bringing down the shade.

I hate the quick settings stuff.

JoeFu

Banned
One thing I really dont like with 4.2 on the GN is the speed at which it turns the screen on/off. There's like a 1 second delay when pushing the power button.

One thing I really dont like with 4.2 on the GN is the speed at which it turns the screen on/off. There's like a 1 second delay when pushing the power button.

I'm guessing it is related to the lock screen widgets, which suck anyway. I'm very disappointed by the lock screen changes. Everything else about 4.2 is great.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Updated! OTA, Takju, Australia

EDIT Lock screen widgets suck. Just unlock the phone?

Otherwise, I like everything else.

Top Bottom