• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

LG phones are not decent?

there was a decent post in the android thread about LG phones. The last 2 gens they have released have upped the quality. It will have top of the line internals, a screen that is a hair below the current best screen ever (the One X) and if the last 2 LG phones are anything to go by, improving build quality. The camera is the biggest thing we don't know much about yet, but either way, expect it not to be top of the line

kinggroin

Banned
Do you guys notice app icons in the notification tray when DLing and installing them? I don't know if its because of the new play store or 4.1.2

derder

Ok so I'm running a rooted, custom install of 4.1.1 and just got the OTA update for 4.1.2. I want to go back to being unrooted and free up all the space taken up by backup images and the flashable images.

What's the quickest and easiest way of getting to a clean install of 4.1.2? I don't mind losing all of the content on my phone - everything is backed up on my computer.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ok so I'm running a rooted, custom install of 4.1.1 and just got the OTA update for 4.1.2. I want to go back to being unrooted and free up all the space taken up by backup images and the flashable images.

What's the quickest and easiest way of getting to a clean install of 4.1.2? I don't mind losing all of the content on my phone - everything is backed up on my computer.

Why wouldn't you just use RootExplorer or something similar to delete all those files without having to lose root?

gutshot

So any ideas on how to fix this?

4vsYEl.png
Pb9Zrl.png

I mean, I know the LTE Nexus has crappy battery life, but less than 6 hours with only 28 minutes of screen on time is abysmal.

NH Apache

Banned
If you're on auto, the only thing I can think of is resetting the battery stats. I've done that on other devices but I've not tried to do it on my vzw gnex. I don't even know if I can do it on my unrooted stock rom.

gutshot

If you're on auto, the only thing I can think of is resetting the battery stats. I've done that on other devices but I've not tried to do it on my vzw gnex. I don't even know if I can do it on my unrooted stock rom.

Yeah, I think you need root for that. Does removing the battery for a few minutes help at all?

NH Apache

Banned
Yeah, I think you need
root for that. Does removing the battery for a few minutes help at all?

There's an app called battery calibration which I've read can reset the stats if not rooted/rommed.

Pretty good reviews.

And no I don't believe a battery pull will help. There is an actual file that needs to be reset.

gutshot

The battery calibration app requires root. Obviously, Clockwork Mod does as well. I guess that means there is no way to fix the issue without root?

derder

How about this:

Can I install the OTA update then use the factory reset option?

I understand that using factory reset while running a custom ROM will brick the phone.

3phemeral

How about this:

Can I install the OTA update then use the factory reset option?

I understand that using factory reset while running a custom ROM will brick the phone.

Factory resets don't brick the phone, regardless of what ROM you're using. You're required to do it when you flash a new ROM. And new ROMs can't pick up an OTA anyway unless you're running a stock ROM that's been rooted. Only thing that will happen is your phone won't finish the install and boot up normally or the OTA will flash successfully but you'll lose root, in which case you can use OTA Root keeper + Titanium Backup to regain it (in my experience, Titanium Backup always fixes some aspect of OTA Root keeper's rerooting).

Piano

Banned
About time to update my ROM...

CNA 3.8
or
AOKP JB Build 5?
or something else entirely?

On CNA 3.6 right now. Only problem is occasional SOD and poor auto brightness settings.

Also, strangely, the notification shade doesn't get as dark in CNA as it does in default JB and other roms. No idea why.

womp

About time to update my ROM...

CNA 3.8
or
AOKP JB Build 5?
or something else entirely?

On CNA 3.6 right now. Only problem is occasional SOD and poor auto brightness settings.

Also, strangely, the notification shade doesn't get as dark in CNA as it does in default JB and other roms. No idea why.

CNA 3.8 removed the 4G toggle. That is a game ending move IMO.

reKon

Banned

Yeah I don't know what that was about. I bet they add it back in 3.8.5 though. I'm tempted to try aokp 5 again, but I feel bad for leaving Xenon because thosr roms are great.

Piano

Banned

What? No sale.

So AOKP, or is something else decent these days? I tried Xenon (solid but buggy), Jelly Belly (buggy) and Bugless Beast (awful battery life, no features) over the summer.

lunchtoast

What? No sale.

So AOKP, or is something else decent these days? I tried Xenon (solid but buggy), Jelly Belly (buggy) and Bugless Beast (awful battery life, no features) over the summer.

I've been using CDA 3.6.6, but they haven't updated since the beginning of the month. My phone has also been running laggy and slow lately.

Still using stock, rooted, deodexed JR030 Verizon OTA with a few mods. My last continuously booted run hit about 500 hours of uptime before I had to reboot the phone to install a tethering enabler mod. I've had no problems with it running slow or having bugs. There's a lot to be said for bone stock + a few mods like Facebook sync enabled.

I'm trying AOKP again. It always gave me the best battery life on the GS1

AOKP build 5 is really smooth so far and has more customizations than CNA as far as I can tell.

With CM10 I had some serious lag issues while using the new built in OTA updater BTW.

I used mostly CM10 and CNA and both were stable but started to lag after a while.

3phemeral

I actually just tried out MIUI JB for the hell of it because I've been avoiding it for so long. Funny thing is, despite its cons, I'm going to stick with it for a while. It's pretty damn polished, even if some of the endless confirmation prompts are a little overkill.

reKon

Banned
just installed aokp build 5. I forgot about their ridiculous boot up screens lol. I missed this along with that pink live wallpaper.

EDIT: AOKP is running very well and they've added back the swipable widgets. I didn't think I'd ever come back to this after CNA. Still need to see how battery life is though

Alright, so I want to turn my rooted, unlocked-bootloader, CWM 4.1.1 phone back to stock with all memory wiped. I want it to be as fresh as the day I bought it.

Will this guide work? I can't believe how easy it was to get to a custom ROM compared to how hard it is to just reset the damn thing.

I did it without Odin, pretty sure I found the factory image that Google provide and flashed that in fastboot. Been a couple of weeks since I did it, so I'm a bit hazy. XDA has your answers.

Here's what I did [GSM]

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-return-your-gsm-nexus-stock-flash-takju.html

Though I think I flashed Yakju and not Takju.

lunchtoast

just installed aokp build 5. I forgot about their ridiculous boot up screens lol. I missed this along with that pink live wallpaper.

EDIT: AOKP is running very well and they've added back the swipable widgets. I didn't think I'd ever come back to this after CNA. Still need to see how battery life is though

Didn't know build 5 was out, will probably switch this weekend. Earlier this week was able to install a workable google wallet. Nice to have it back again.

Do you guys notice app icons in the notification tray when DLing and installing them? I don't know if its because of the new play store or 4.1.2

Mine frequently just shows the standard app icon, i've actually only see it show angry birds spaces icon before. Does anybody else have this issue?

thespot84

I remember someone complaining about the call waiting screen in google nexus, that you can't cancel the first call if you answer the other call.

Well you CAN. When you see 2 calls on the screen, first one on hold and second one active, all you have to do to cancel the first one, is click on it (that makes it the active call) and then click the red hang up button.

:)

Top Bottom