• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

99nikniht

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if I can get some help with a problem I'm having with usb tethering. I can tether my phone just fine both with wifi hotspot and usb. My problem lies with trying to get this darn function to work on my pc. I'm almost certain this is a driver issue, but I don't know how to fix this. I hope someone can point me in the right direction because I have searched on google for a while and couldn't find a solution.

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if I can get some help with a problem I'm having with usb tethering. I can tether my phone just fine both with wifi hotspot and usb. My problem lies with trying to get this darn function to work on my pc. I'm almost certain this is a driver issue, but I don't know how to fix this. I hope someone can point me in the right direction because I have searched on google for a while and couldn't find a solution.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I515MSAVZW

Download the driver and install it on the PC. Yes, it works on all GNex, not just Verizon ones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Desktop. I'll pick up the $40 official one if I have to, but that seems a bit much for what it does (just a hunk of plastic.)

So guys, I rooted my Galaxy Nexus a few months ago. Now it keep asking me to update it to 4.2, but everytime I do it goes to the root menu and fails.

Anyway ideas?

gutshot

Desktop. I'll pick up the $40 official one if I have to, but that seems a bit much for what it does (just a hunk of plastic.)

Ah ok. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you. I've done some searching but have found absolutely nothing else out there. And I agree $40 is way too high. Amazon is surprisingly lacking in phone accessories.

Sky Chief

Probably December, if the 4.1 update is anything to go by.

Oh wow, I hope so. I just watched the Verge video again. The new camera controls, Swype-like keyboard, and Street View picture taking all looks so, so good. I cannot wait.

Google is really taking touch screen usability far and since JB Android just keeps leaping farther and farther ahead of every other mobile OS. I have long said that people saying that large screens are a detriment to one handed usability don't understand how creative software can overcome hardware and make bigger phones EASIER to use than smaller screened phones. So happy that Google understands this and are so far ahead of the curve.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe January actually, I forgot this probably isn't hitting the other devices until around November 13th.

DaNcaKe

Damnnnnn, been looking at getting this device for a while now to replace my iPhone 4. After the announcement of the Nexus 4 yesterday I'm torn between that and the GNex.
The storage sizes are making me lean towards the Gnex but some of the horror stories I've read about the battery are putting me off.
Is the battery life significantly extended with a bigger battery, or does the CPU munch through that quickly too? I'm in the UK so not sure if the version over here is different (GSM / LTE etc).

Zeppu

So I got the new update for Google Search, and I realized that I cannot search in SMSs and Emails anymore. WTF? Have I lost universal search? I don't know if it was this latest update or the OTA to 4.1.2.
I'm in Europe btw.

Futureman

Damnnnnn, been looking at getting this device for a while now to replace my iPhone 4. After the announcement of the Nexus 4 yesterday I'm torn between that and the GNex.
The storage sizes are making me lean towards the Gnex but some of the horror stories I've read about the battery are putting me off.
Is the battery life significantly extended with a bigger battery, or does the CPU munch through that quickly too? I'm in the UK so not sure if the version over here is different (GSM / LTE etc).

I think the CPU being the bad battery life culprit is overblown. It's mainly the huge 4.7" screen and LTE. You can reduce the brightness if you need to and turn LTE off if you want. Buy the 2,100 battery if you are really concerned.

I'm rocking stock VZW GNex, use LTE all the time, stock battery (1,700). Sometimes I'll plug in during the day for an hour at work and that is sufficient to get me through the day, other times that isn't necessary. Really depends on how much you use it obviously.

if you want to get a good deal and stick w/ Verizon, the GNex is still definitely a great, great phone. I think it's $50 on contract now? Nexus 4 has some nice improvements, but definitely don't discount the GNex.

GatorBait

So I got the new update for Google Search, and I realized that I cannot search in SMSs and Emails anymore. WTF? Have I lost universal search? I don't know if it was this latest update or the OTA to 4.1.2.
I'm in Europe btw.

Could you even do that previously? I don't see any options available in Google Search to include Gmail or SMS messages in the phone search.

I'm in Europe btw.

I think that local search on Android has been removed for the time being due to the threat of a lawsuit from that other company who patents everything.

At least, I think that's the reason.

I think the CPU being the bad battery life culprit is overblown. It's mainly the huge 4.7" screen and LTE. You can reduce the brightness if you need to and turn LTE off if you want. Buy the 2,100 battery if you are really concerned.

I'm rocking stock VZW GNex, use LTE all the time, stock battery (1,700). Sometimes I'll plug in during the day for an hour at work and that is sufficient to get me through the day, other times that isn't necessary. Really depends on how much you use it obviously.

if you want to get a good deal and stick w/ Verizon, the GNex is still definitely a great, great phone. I think it's $50 on contract now? Nexus 4 has some nice improvements, but definitely don't discount the GNex.

If you refuse to plug the Verizon Gnex in more than once a day though, the battery life is pretty crummy. I hate the idea of dragging a charger around with me all the time, that entirely defeats the purpose of a portable device. This is why the replacement for my Verizon Gnex will be the as-overkill-as-possible Galaxy Note II, with the 3100 mAh battery. I don't want to plug my fucking phone in except when I go to bed, period.

Just get a spare battery and a dual dock charger and never worry about battery life again. Srsly I got two spare batteries and dual charger for like $30. Best decision of my life.

I rarely use more than two batteries a day. Just charge the battery in your phone over night and leave the other battery on the dock, and keep one spare for those unlucky days.

BlueMagic

So did they stop selling the GNex? I can't really confirm because I can't enter the website because I'm not in the US (when I enter via a proxy it says that they are not selling it , but I'm not sure it is not because I'm behind a proxy).

snacknuts

we all knew her
So did they stop selling the GNex? I can't really confirm because I can't enter the website because I'm not in the US (when I enter via a proxy it says that they are not selling it , but I'm not sure it is not because I'm behind a proxy).

Google is no longer selling the GNex through the Play store.

I might be putting a like-new Verizon Gnex up for sale by the end of the month. It has spent it's entire existence inside a case and it has a screen protector on it, so it's basically mint. I have the extended battery for it as well. If you buy it, you get the whole package: phone, extended + original battery, case, and the screen protector sitting on it. Don't worry, I'll wipe it first and re-flash it to the latest stock ROM (JB 4.1.1) before I send it to you.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
What are the odds we ever see another CDMA Nexus with LTE?

Nexus 4 seems like a step in the wrong direction. Especially considering how Android loyalists ripped Apple for not embracing LTE.

What are the odds we ever see another CDMA Nexus with LTE?

Nexus 4 seems like a step in the wrong direction. Especially considering how Android loyalists ripped Apple for not embracing LTE.

Android loyalists ripped on the CDMA Nexus devices for their lack of timely updates. Can't have it both ways...

snacknuts

we all knew her
I might be putting a like-new Verizon Gnex up for sale by the end of the month. It has spent it's entire existence inside a case and it has a screen protector on it, so it's basically mint. I have the extended battery for it as well. If you buy it, you get the whole package: phone, extended + original battery, case, and the screen protector sitting on it. Don't worry, I'll wipe it first and re-flash it to the latest stock ROM (JB 4.1.1) before I send it to you.

I might be interested. Ever since iOS6 was released, my wife has been ready to throw her 4S in the garbage.

For those who can't wait for 4.2 here is a transformation pack with 4.2 apps including stopwatch and nexus 4 sounds.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1969488

Good Day,
Many of you already estatically await the come of Android 4.2 to the Galaxy Nexus. While some may be lol'ing aboutthe attempts to port 4.2 to the Gnex, you all will like this. I present you the Android 4.2 Transformation Pack. This Brings the
Camera with PhotoSphere
Gallery
Stopwatch/Clock
Nexus 4 Sounds
App Install (Phonesky.apk)
Launcher With Wallpapers

This seems to work with any ROM. I tested it on CM10. .

VoxPop

Just get a spare battery and a dual dock charger and never worry about battery life again. Srsly I got two spare batteries and dual charger for like $30. Best decision of my life.

I rarely use more than two batteries a day. Just charge the battery in your phone over night and leave the other battery on the dock, and keep one spare for those unlucky days.

Why does one have to deal with and carry all that? It should just work from the get go. If battery is a concern, I recommend staying as far away from the Galaxy Nexus as you can. Wait for the Nexus 4 or go with the Note 2/GS3.

z8mTr.png

What is Mediasever and why is it killing my battery?

How is it to type with the Nexus? Would it be possible to use it to type my notes up in class? Could it serve that function?

I'm at law school and I need something to read my text books as well being able to do some notes, just needed a few questions answered if at all possible.

Sober

So after hearing about 4.2, I dunno if I should, so just wondering if I should revert my GNex to the Google version. Apparently I have the Samsung version (yakjuux) so that means I have to wait a few weeks later to get system updates.

Dunno if it's worth the wait. I don't think I got 4.1(.1) until maybe September? If Samsung wasn't responsible I would've gotten in around the same the Nexus7 came out, right?

Cipherr

So after hearing about 4.2, I dunno if I should, so just wondering if I should revert my GNex to the Google version. Apparently I have the Samsung version (yakjuux) so that means I have to wait a few weeks later to get system updates.

Dunno if it's worth the wait. I don't think I got 4.1(.1) until maybe September? If Samsung wasn't responsible I would've gotten in around the same the Nexus7 came out, right?

Yep, I recall getting the update right around then. I can't exactly recall how long it was, but it was right about the time that they pushed the Nex7 out. Kinda hilarious to hear that Samsung didnt push theirs out until September.

Mediaserver appears to use more battery in the graph if you use the Google Music player. If you use a third-party player, Mediaserver will use less in the graph because the third-player player is broken out into a separate bar in the graph. When I use PowerAmp, it's listed separately from Mediaserver for example.

GiJoccin

Looking to get my first smartphone. After extensive research, since I'm stuck on verizon I'm going to go with the galaxy nexus, pick it up from amazon for a penny.

Any cases/extra battery or anything else I should look to pick up at the same time?

lunchtoast

Looking to get my first smartphone. After extensive research, since I'm stuck on verizon I'm going to go with the galaxy nexus, pick it up from amazon for a penny.

Any cases/extra battery or anything else I should look to pick up at the same time?

Battery yes.

Get the extended battery. You're going to need it.

The case I use is this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065PGWQ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There was this one time where I threw the phone inside this case across a grassy field and bounced it off the metal pole of a patio unbrella. The case itself had a large dent on it's side after that, the phone inside was unharmed. Therefore this case has my approval, it's still on my phone right now.

Why does one have to deal with and carry all that? It should just work from the get go. If battery is a concern, I recommend staying as far away from the Galaxy Nexus as you can. Wait for the Nexus 4 or go with the Note 2/GS3.

You don't have to carry anything except a spare battery or two. You can put in your wallet; it is light and small. I put it in my bag if I'm going out for extended periods. Or in my pocket.

The truth is most phones you buy will not last the whole day. Why not take advantage of the fact you can replace your phones battery in less than 20 seconds with very little hassle? The benefits outweigh the very few costs.

Top Bottom