• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Developers Choice Awards 2014 Thread: Watch Live March 19, 2014

Does anyone else get the feeling that the current, constant praising of Indies is a fad that'll have its bubble burst soon enough?

Not to say Indie games are good or bad (or that the entire spectrum of Indie games can be classified so easily; obviously they can't), but I can't help but feel this is just another stage of the video game's industry's long obsession with being seen as an equal with books and movies as an "art form."

"Indies aren't mass market and are 'weird' (many of the ones that get a lot of attention are), so they prove video games are art!" seems to be the feeling get from a lot of the Indie evangelists.

Cartman86

Banned
Does anyone else get the feeling that the current, constant praising of Indies is a fad that'll have its bubble burst soon enough?

Not to say Indie games are good or bad (or that the entire spectrum of Indie games can be classified so easily; obviously they can't), but I can't help but feel this is just another stage of the video game's industry's long obsession with being seen as an equal with books and movies as an "art form."

"Indies aren't mass market and are 'weird' (many of the ones that get a lot of attention are), so they prove video games are art!" seems to be the feeling get from a lot of the Indie evangelists.

No

lol indie games are cropping up because of the failure in the AAA industry to encourage and instill continued creativity

It is not some big effort to make video games look more like an art form. That's ridiculous

I don't like this host that much but I can't tell if it's me being sexist

All right that woo thing worked much better than I thought it would

Women in the video game industry seem very self-righteous about being women in the video game industry.

Why is she acting like they'll be scared of her? I get that it's a joke but it seems odd. Maybe it's because I'm European? Is it an American thing? I don't understand!

Freeman

Banned

Not really. Many of them are great, that its all that matters. Looking back in the past few years I have more indie games on my list of favorite games than AAA and I don't even play that many indies.

Makai

Not if the AAA studios keep going out of business. :|

This... is awkward.

Women in the video game industry seem very self-righteous about being women in the video game industry.

Why is she acting like they'll be scared of her? I get that it's a joke but it seems odd. Maybe it's because I'm European? Is it an American thing? I don't understand!

In some place, Patrick Klepek nervously laughs in the same manner that did when he cheerfully called Nolan North an asshole.

HardRojo

I played BS:I a month or so ago and the only thing about audio I remember is that song Elizabeth sings :/ Tearaway had great music but the game didn't take advantage of it, playing it only during certain parts.

hawk2025

I played BS:I a month or so ago and the only thing about audio I remember is that song Elizabeth sings :/ Tearaway had great music but the game didn't take advantage of it, playing it only during certain parts.

Tearaway took full advantage of it. Its best moments work because of the fantastic soundtrack, like everything during the ending and final segments.

wildfire

Banned

Game developers will be more discerning about actual game design. For example the awards for Actors by Actors is vastly different from the Academy Awards which is more populist.

HardRojo

Tearaway took full advantage of it. Its best moments work because of the fantastic soundtrack, like everything during the ending and final segments.

There were parts with no music playing at all, the parts with background music were great and I really wanted music to be there all the time :/ The ending was great and I loved the game but not having music all the time is my only complaint.

aly

How hard is it to say the winner and move on?

I did'nt like Gone Home, but congrats to them I guess.

Find it hard to find this funny when so many people are using food banks /nofunpolice

jl4qDbFUCOzgJ_e.jpg

Top Bottom