• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Industry Biz: Sony's gaming business is struggling, and its purpose is now unclear

gokurho

Summary by ChatGPT
Sony Group's gaming division reported increased revenue and profit in the first quarter of 2024, largely due to strong PC game sales and the effects of a weak yen. However, there is growing concern that the purpose of the gaming business has become unclear, particularly as PS5's full-price game sales decline and hardware sales fall short of expectations. Issues like storage capacity and pricing have impacted PS5's performance, leading Toyo Securities to lower its sales forecast to 16.5 million units. Sony's reluctance to acknowledge these challenges raises concerns about the future direction of the gaming division.
(in japanese)
translated by Deepl
As a result of Sony's decision to also release games for PCs, the purpose of their gaming business is now unclear.
In my analyst's opinion, investing in a business without a clear vision or purpose is more frightening than a declining stock price (there is a saying that investors hate uncertainty, and Mr. Buffett has commented that one should never invest in something that he does not understand).
It would be nice if there was a synergy between the development of HELLDIVERS 2 and Ghost of Tsushima on the PC and the PlayStation platform, but there was no clear reason for this when I asked for an explanation.
The sales of full-price games for the PS4 and PS5 buy-out models have been steadily declining. The PS5 is in its fourth year of release, and despite the fact that this is the time when software sales are at their peak for PS4, the PS5 is not selling any full-price game software at all. According to the Sony Group's explanation, this is a reaction to FF16 and Street Fighter 6, but if this is the case, it still seems as if the PS5 is not making up for the decline in PS4 sales.
Next, PS5 sales volume was 2.4 million units in the first quarter, a significant decrease from 3.3 million units in the previous year. Since the full-year plan is 18 million units, the progress rate is
Sony Group says that the reason sales are lower than the PS4 is because they cannot lower the price, but the author does not perceive a correlation between price and sales volume. It could be said that the situation has turned out as the author had been concerned about before the release: "Will a large, white, round gaming console truly become popular?"
The PS5 is doing well because its sales volume is on par with the PS4, but before its launch, there must have been great demand and expectations in the press that it would easily surpass the PS4. In light of this, it would be a disaster for the future if the PS5 were to be passed off as "selling quite well" like the PS3. In fact, it is sad to think that the PS3's failure was replaced by "good sales" which caused the PS5's problems.
Business is a very serious business and requires constant growth.

I a lot of the media focus on PC is due to Helldivers being day and date release. It was, after all, their highest profile release this year.

I think Astro Bot may change things.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Zacfoldor

What level of obtuse is just too much to let someone write about something?

Like, if I wrote about the chemical makeup of a star that we have yet to uncover, it would be less ignorant than market analysts concerning even the most basic principles of the video game market.

Like, you know when you know a lot about one single topic, then hear about it on the news and the news people are SO SO ignorant about that shit and they just say one wrong thing after another demonstrating their own ignorance?

This is like a million times worse than the worst one of those and it keeps getting traction like it is relevant news.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
"As a result of Sony's decision to also release games for PCs, the purpose of their gaming business is now unclear.
In my analyst's opinion, investing in a business without a clear vision or purpose is more frightening than a declining stock price"

i mean sony isn't putting shit on xbox. This is a way too advertise to the pc master race. Besides helldiver 2 they get all the sales out of playstation 1st then bring it over to PC.

They have several support studios they bought in the last decade to do this. I'm not sure what the author is trying to say

This is why media consolidation is bad. No coincidence we're seeing the editorial and journalistic standards of GI.biz go down the shitter shortly after IGN Entertainment acquired them back in...May I believe? And we all know IGN's gaming side is full of people who "prefer the color green". They were also a strong incubation site for the shilling and astroturfing that'd come to propel Xbox in the media during the 360 generation.

There's no amount of critical thinking applied to large parts of the article. "Synergizing" game development between console & PC would just mean even longer development times, larger budgets, and more Day 1 bugs for console owners which'd represent a drop in quality compared to previous generations. It'd also incentivize less console sales over time, and a disproportionate drop in profit for SIE over the long-term.

Sensationalist language like how PS5 "isn't selling any games at all" is just stupid to say no matter who you are, even if it's about Japan, because I'm pretty sure every game in the Top 100 is moving at least some number of copies. PS5 software sales could be a LOT better in Japan, yes, but don't use hyperbole to try illustrating a point contradicted with facts. You learn this stuff in middle school FFS.

Wait a minute...

It could be said that the situation has turned out as the author had been concerned about before the release: "Will a large, white, round gaming console truly become popular?"

They're not talking about that insane 'analyst' who said PS5 would fail before it released because it was white, is it? That's one of their sources for this write-up? Okay, GI.biz is cooked.

I know this is machine-translated but I can't imagine the original article being that much better. ML would just mess up certain words or grammatical things; it's not going to suddenly change the entire tone, theme or intent of the original article.

EDIT: There's a chance I might be taking the wrong read from the article. Maybe they are also in fact trying to say that the PC porting strategy does not make any sense as-is, and that SIE are too overzealous with it. In which case, I'd 100% agree. But it's kind of hard to infer if that's the writer's take or not given they don't get too deep into that point. Very surface-level, safe take on their part.

Aside that, they still have that trash idea that "constant growth" is both a good thing and mandatory for a business to be successful. This is where certain shareholders/investors are just straight-up bad omens for the companies they put their money into. Even in gaming we can see other companies getting along perfectly fine without needing to satisfy greedy growth via trend-chasing for investors (Nintendo) or just staying private to not listen to shareholders at all (Valve).

Sometimes I really wonder if SIE would be better off as its own entity altogether that didn't have to deal with certain investors from the Sony Corp side. Either that, or Sony Corp get the dumb and bad-faith investors out of their shares (especially if they are priority shares).

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

"As a result of Sony's decision to also release games for PCs, the purpose of their gaming business is now unclear.
In my analyst's opinion, investing in a business without a clear vision or purpose is more frightening than a declining stock price"

i mean sony isn't putting shit on xbox. This is a way too advertise to the pc master race. Besides helldiver 2 they get all the sales out of playstation 1st then bring it over to PC.

They have several support studios they bought in the last decade to do this. I'm not sure what the author is trying to say
If I'm reading the idiocy correctly, I think s/he is saying that because s/he doesn't understand Sony's strategy, that the situation is worse than if the situation was actually bad...or something. Please realize how convoluted this logic is.

Edit: Also realize how obviously simple Sony's current strategy is, and how this person apparently still cannot even being to understand it....

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gold Member
At this point I think people are just asking ChatGPT for a bad playstation take and make it an article.
**Sony’s Gaming Business Faces Challenges in 2024 Amid Shifting Market Dynamics**

**Tokyo, Japan – September 3, 2024** – Sony’s gaming division, a pillar of its entertainment empire, is facing significant challenges in 2024 as the company grapples with slowing hardware sales, increasing competition, and changing consumer preferences. Once a dominant force in the industry, Sony's PlayStation brand now finds itself in a rapidly evolving market that has become more complex and competitive than ever before.

### **Hardware Sales Decline**

One of the primary issues confronting Sony is the declining sales of its PlayStation 5 (PS5) console. Despite a strong start after its launch in late 2020, the PS5 has seen a slowdown in sales due to a combination of factors. The initial demand surge, driven by pent-up interest and supply shortages, has waned, and the console market is now saturated. Additionally, global economic challenges have led to decreased consumer spending, particularly on high-ticket items like gaming consoles.

"While the PS5 was a tremendous success early on, the market has shifted," said a Sony spokesperson. "We are seeing more competition from both traditional rivals and new entrants in the gaming space."

### **Rise of Cloud Gaming and Subscription Services**

Another significant challenge for Sony is the rise of cloud gaming and subscription services. Competitors like Microsoft and NVIDIA have aggressively expanded their cloud gaming platforms, offering consumers an alternative to traditional console gaming. Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass, in particular, has gained traction with its vast library of games available for a monthly fee, making it an attractive option for gamers who prefer not to invest in expensive hardware.

Sony has attempted to counter this trend with its PlayStation Plus service, but it has struggled to match the value proposition of its competitors. Although PlayStation Plus has seen some growth, it has not been able to keep pace with the rapid expansion of Xbox Game Pass, which continues to lure players with exclusive titles and day-one releases.

### **Content and Exclusivity Challenges**

Sony’s strength has always been its exclusive game titles, which have historically driven console sales. However, in 2024, the landscape of game development and publishing has become more decentralized. Many developers are opting for cross-platform releases to maximize their reach, reducing the impact of exclusive titles.

In addition, the acquisition spree by larger companies like Microsoft, which recently completed its purchase of several high-profile game studios, has further strained Sony’s ability to secure exclusivity agreements. These acquisitions have made it harder for Sony to lock down must-have titles that could drive PS5 sales.

### **Market Competition Intensifies**

Competition in the gaming industry has intensified beyond just the console wars. The resurgence of PC gaming, the continued popularity of mobile gaming, and the expansion of cloud-based gaming platforms have all contributed to a more fragmented market. Younger gamers, in particular, are increasingly drawn to mobile and cloud gaming, where they can access a wide variety of games across different devices.

Sony's efforts to capture these segments have been met with mixed results. While the company has made strides in mobile gaming through acquisitions and partnerships, it has yet to establish a strong foothold in the cloud gaming market, where competitors have already made significant inroads.

### **Looking Ahead**

As 2024 progresses, Sony faces the challenge of adapting to a rapidly changing gaming landscape. The company has announced plans to invest in new technologies, such as virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR), and to expand its content offerings through acquisitions and partnerships. However, analysts remain cautious about Sony’s ability to regain its former dominance.

"To stay competitive, Sony will need to innovate and potentially rethink its approach to the gaming market," said industry analyst David Thompson. "The company has the resources and brand power, but it needs to be agile and responsive to the new realities of the industry."

Despite these challenges, Sony remains a major player in the gaming world, and its future moves will be closely watched by industry observers and gamers alike. The coming months will be crucial as the company navigates these turbulent times, seeking to secure its place in an increasingly crowded and competitive market.
:messenger_horns:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Is this topic satire? That text can't be real. What is this?

Sony Group says that the reason sales are lower than the PS4 is because they cannot lower the price, but the author does not perceive a correlation between price and sales volume. It could be said that the situation has turned out as the author had been concerned about before the release: "Will a large, white, round gaming console truly become popular?"

Please tell me this isn't made by the guy that back in 2020 said the PS5 was going to flop because it was white...Cause the entire article seems to want us to believe something like that?

And those last lines:
The PS5 is doing well because its sales volume is on par with the PS4, but before its launch, there must have been great demand and expectations in the press that it would easily surpass the PS4. In light of this, it would be a disaster for the future if the PS5 were to be passed off as "selling quite well" like the PS3.

What? No one knew back in the day how much covid would affect the industry, how inflation wouldn't allow consoles to not decrease their prices...and still, the PS5 will be around PS3 numbers by the time GTAVI releases. By that point the PS5 will still have at least 3 years on the market as Sony's main console (fall 2025/fall 2028).

What am i missing here? Times are changing. PS5 won't stop selling as fast as the PS4, it's not decreasing in price as fast, the Pro is yet to be released etc...

What a weird article. It really reads like satire.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This guy doesn't understand Sony's business model in a similar way that a lot of PlayStation fanboys don't understand its business model.

I think it's pretty clear what Sony's business model is. They want to be relevant in all avenues in gaming.

Q: Why are they porting some games to PC?

A: Game costs are rising and they need to increase their operating income and revenues so that they can obtain a stronger cash flow.

E: I think ultimately, they want to release a PC Launcher and Storefront, but this takes time and resources. By getting into the PC space, they can continue to grow their annual revenue and operating income, when console sales generally are stagnant over a generation. Sales from a PC launcher would be more valuable item for item than on console where they take a loss on hardware. This is why they're also pushing to improve their peripherals on PC. They don't want to lose peripheral sales. It's the same reason we'll eventually get another PS Handheld.

Q: Why are games ported at different times to PC and not all the same timeframe?

A: Different games have different development cycles. Helldivers was being developed for PC from the beginning for example. Sony generally has their first party studios focus on the console version and let other studios handle the PC Ports. Depending on when these studios have time available and how long it takes to port games will alter the amount of time in between releases and their PC ports.

E: Iron Galaxy has a relationship with Naughty Dog but that relationship has frayed with the port of TLOU on PC. Most likely they'll have their flagship studio Nixxes handle the port of TLOUP2, meanwhile Jetpack Interactive who did a great job with God of War 2018, will handle the port of Ragnarok, freeing Nixxes to focus on other things. If Nixxes ends up handling TLOUP2, that will probably push back Spider-Man 2 on PC.

Q: Is the PS5 underperforming the PS4? And is the progress rate below what they projected?

A: No. The PS5 is Sony's most profitable console to date. Creating more profit than the PS1-3 combined. There are economic reasons for the PS5 selling slightly fewer units to date than the PS4 (The pandemic/supply chain, inflation/pricing). There are also reasons why big hitter titles have been delayed on PS5, again the pandemic, but also the rising cost of game development and the time to develop games in 4K detail.

E: The progress rate for the PS5 would be below forecast if all things were equal, but the analysis completely ignores the release of the PS5 Pro, which is part of Sony's forecast despite not being announced. The lowering of their forecast ignores the PS5 Pro entirely and would be the most laughable element of this "analysis" had the rest of it not been so ridiculous.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's hard not to question their strategy when they just released maybe the biggest bomba in videogames history.

Cakeboxer

I think Astro Bot may change things.
Astro Bot will be a cute AA game, but it's not one of the big ones and it won't have the same marketing budget that sells millions on it's own.
I expect it to score in the range of Psychonatus 2 which sold like shit btw. Sony has a much better hardware base than Microsoft, but it 100% won't sell anywhere close to Spider-Man, GOW, TLOU or Horizon.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I can't tell you what a debacle a Playstation launcher on PC would be.

That's because you don't understand business.

We've already seen successful launchers. The most popular games on the PC market aren't even on Steam. They all have their own launchers.

The biggest difference between Sony and these are that Sony has far more games and high quality ones.

Unlike Epic, they don't need to subsidize a storefront with free games. If Epic had more games other than Fortnite, EGS would do just fine.

So please define what a debacle looks like.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
To be fair there isn't a way out since they are struggling to lower their price to get more buyers. And development cost will only continue to grow. So their strategy here is to appeal harder and harder at the PC audience.

Sony's game business now is sending someone to say "We're making a lot of games"... and then not showing a single JPG about it lol.

Like, WTF is even this? It's a clear sign that something very bad is happening with their game development business, like, really bad.

Last edited:

HogIsland

That's because you don't understand business.

We've already seen successful launchers. The most popular games on the PC market aren't even on Steam. They all have their own launchers.

The biggest difference between Sony and these are that Sony has far more games and high quality ones.

Unlike Epic, they don't need to subsidize a storefront with free games. If Epic had more games other than Fortnite, EGS would do just fine.

So please define what a debacle looks like.
Ubisoft Connect. Next!

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
"Jack of all trades, master of none"

You could call it that, but the reality is that gaming is blending as a marketplace. Is the Switch a console or a handheld? Does it matter?

The distinction between PC gaming and console gaming has never been slimmer.

I think people have been so stuck in the mold of "console wars" that they've begun to think this is how the world works.

Imagine if Apple had said, hey we're good at making computers, let's not get into iPods or iPhones... even though that was a natural extension of computing and Apple was always big into music.

Top Bottom