• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any foreknowledge but I'm almost certain she's
Jeyne Lanister. Makes sense that she really is a Lanister spy, and the Romeo and Juliet thing would play a lot better with a tv audience. That's my theory on why they wouldn't reveal her last name anyway.
A Lannister pretending to be some field doctor to spy on Robb is such a ridiculous premise. It doesn't fit this show's setting at all.

Defuser

The changes in the second death from Jaqen H'ghar is hilarious and stupid at the same time. It basically render the number of deaths portrayed through his fingers to Arya redundant.

JGS

Banned
I can't remember if he was there in the book version, but I kept on waiting for him to jump into that scene last night.
I thought he was going to kill that one guard for mouthing off to Tyrion again.

Also, as much as I love a good Joffrey smackdown, what on Earth makes him tolerate from Tyrion. At this point in time, he seems so far gone that he would think nothing of killing Tyrion for such disrespect. Tyrion gets to him apparently.

3rdman

Just came in to post one quick thought I had as the starting opening credits rolled yesterday...I knew I was going to like this episode. Why? Because it was written by the same woman who wrote Episode 4 (which was my favorite of the year so far). Vanessa something-or-other??? Can someone tell me her name?

Also, on a similar note, is there a breakdown of the writers of each episode somewhere?

Peff

I don't have any foreknowledge but I'm almost certain she's
Jeyne Lanister. Makes sense that she really is a Lanister spy, and the Romeo and Juliet thing would play a lot better with a tv audience. That's my theory on why they wouldn't reveal her last name anyway.

I think you might be right

Just came in to post one quick thought I had as the starting opening credits rolled yesterday...I knew I was going to like this episode. Why? Because it was written by the same woman who wrote Episode 4 (which was my favorite of the year so far). Vanessa something-or-other??? Can someone tell me her name?

Also, on a similar note, is there a breakdown of the writers of each episode somewhere?
Vanessa Taylor.

WiC.net's episode guide has a list of writers and directors.

bengraven

Best episode yet.

- Taking of Winterfell was awesomely done
- same as the riot
- Tyrion and Joffrey scene
- fantastic direction
- Arya and Tywin's quiet moments
- Littlefinger's suspicion
- Halfhand
- Ygritte and Jon
- Osha slicing throat
- lots of direwolves
- fantastic cinematography
- finally get to see Tonk's goods

My only real complaint about the episode is the changes to Jon and the Halfhand's story. Of course the ship could right itself and those problems could quickly go away, but based on some preview shots I'm worried that's not going to happen.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, I absolutely loved the scenes between Arya and Tywin.

Two of the best actors in the show with some great material to work with.

Charles Dance needs more screentime.

bengraven

jggJg.png

jett

D-Member
All it made me think is "Why the hell is she leaving with him alive?"

In fact, she could probably actually make the rounds and kill every single one of Theon's men before the drunkards could get their pants off...

Seriously. I think the show's writers aren't very intelligent, when they make these kind of changes they should at least think it through a little bit.

GCX

The riot was amazingly well done. That must've been one of the hardest scenes to shoot so far with all that stuff going on.

JGS

Banned
I was really hoping that she would kill him, but then I supposed her primary concern was getting out safely with the kids. Theon dead would have left Winterfell with people theoretically worse than him.

That's a longshot explanation for sure.

JGS - did you read the books? If not, you should be careful about reading through this thread if you don't want to be spoiled on some big events later in the series.

The riot was amazingly well done. That must've been one of the hardest scenes to shoot so far with all that stuff going on.
In case you're interested, there's a couple short behind the scenes videos on that sequence via the link that I posted above:

I didn't notice this, but I'll check for it in my rewatch - [ACoK]
Televisionary noted in his review that you can hear an eagle cry during the scene where Jon and Qhorin attack the wildlings.

I didn't notice this, but I'll check for it in my rewatch - [ACoK]
Televisionary noted in his review that you can hear an eagle cry during the scene where Jon and Qhorin attack the wildlings.

SWEET. I was wondering whether they'd portray that stuff. I hope they do it justice.

Vyer

There's a funny pic with her head cocked at an incredible angle in one of the GoT threads...

I don't mind it. She's kind of a gypsy-like character, so she sees things differently. She looks at things differently.

I had to mentally fight that and the Dany eyebrow picture in last night's episode.

Tacitus_

Oh balls. With Rakharo dead, Jhiqui missing (from the show) and Irri supposedly dead there won't be awesome banter between them :|

bengraven

I think the stealing of the dragons
gives Dany good reason to burn down the house of the Undying. In the books she lashes out and though it's necessary in the books, they need to portray her as a pure hero in the TV show so they need to give her that reason to burn it down. Also assuming we'll see her yell out "drakarys!" and have Drogon lash out.

So bizarre to have to look at the book with the eye of the average viewer I think...

Oh balls. With Rakharo dead, Jhiqui missing (from the show) and Irri supposedly dead there won't be awesome banter between them :|

tumblr_m3mw5cXIFZ1rnpb7vo2_250.gif

Meier

Yeah, I absolutely loved the scenes between Arya and Tywin.

Two of the best actors in the show with some great material to work with.

Charles Dance needs more screentime.

I dunno if they can give him too much more -- he's already receiving a LOT (which is to our benefit because he has been phenomenal) more than we could have expected coming in.

JGS

Banned
JGS - did you read the books? If not, you should be careful about reading through this thread if you don't want to be spoiled on some big events later in the series.

In case you're interested, there's a couple short behind the scenes videos on that sequence via the link that I posted above:
I haven't read the books at all!

However, I accept blame in the event of getting spoiled. I was just spoiled a major thing Googling something about this show already so I can never comment on it in the other thread dangit!

Overall, this thread has been pretty polite and I appreciate the background story that isn't allowed in the other thread. It's interesting to see the reaction to castigng choices and whatnot.

However, if you want the non-book readers to stay out of this thread, I'll oblige. I don't want to imply contamination of either one.

Tacitus_

minor series spoilers (said banter)
“You are too skinny for him,” Jhiqui was saying. “You are almost a boy. Rakharo does not bed with boys. This is known.” Irri bristled back. “It is known that you are almost a cow. Rakharo does not bed with cows.”

dmann

Also, as much as I love a good Joffrey smackdown, what on Earth makes him tolerate from Tyrion. At this point in time, he seems so far gone that he would think nothing of killing Tyrion for such disrespect. Tyrion gets to him apparently.

If Joffrey was to have Tyrion killed, Grandfather Tywin would put the smackdown on his little shit of a grandson even if he was king. Joffrey is not that stupid, okay I take that back, the kid is an idiot but he know full well that he can't get on his grandfather's bad side. Tywin's riches and the Lannisters are what is keeping Joffrey on the Iron Throne. Also, to be a "kinslayer" is a terrible sin in the world of Westeros.

However, if you want the non-book readers to stay out of this thread, I'll oblige. I don't want to imply contamination of either one.
It's totally your call if you want to stay in this thread and possibly get spoiled. I don't mind at all. Just be very careful about not posting something you've learned here over in the other thread. If you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to post in the other thread without that information seeping through in your predictions or comments, and that's why book readers shouldn't post in the other thread.

JGS

Banned
It's totally your call if you want to stay in this thread and possibly get spoiled. I don't mind at all. Just be very careful about not posting something you've learned here over in the other thread. If you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to post in the other thread without that information seeping through in your predictions or comments, and that's why book readers shouldn't post in the other thread.
Got it. I'm pretty careful. the only thing I've learned beyond casting was about Renly. I usually hightail it out of here when it turns to something no show related otherwise. Like I said Google is far more dangerous.
If Joffrey was to have Tyrion killed, Grandfather Tywin would put the smackdown on his little shit of a grandson even if he was king. Joffrey is not that stupid, okay I take that back, the kid is an idiot but he know full well that he can't get on his grandfather's bad side. Tywin's riches and the Lannisters are what is keeping Joffrey on the Iron Throne. Also, to be a "kinslayer" is a terrible sin in the world of Westeros.
I was thinking about it in terms of his getting slapped by his mother which he didn't take nearly as well and the threat seemed real. He's never even threatened Tyrion.

scosher

My only complaint with this episode is that despite us getting to see the direwolves again, they're nowhere to be seen when Jon, Bran, or Rickon actually need protection. Where is Ghost when Jon gets lost? Where is Summer and Shaggydog when the Ironborn assault Winterfell? Even a short simple scene of Bran commanding Summer to obey, possibly when Theon first enters his bedroom, would've sufficed. But as is, the direwolves have been reduced to household pets rather than guardians, and the logic gaps concerning them are annoying.

Got it. I'm pretty careful. the only thing I've learned beyond casting was about Renly. I usually hightail it out of here when it turns to something no show related otherwise. Like I said Google is far more dangerous.I was thinking about it in terms of his getting slapped by his mother which he didn't take nearly as well and the threat seemed real. He's never even threatened Tyrion.

Yeha, totally. I got majorly spoiled by typing in a characters name and google auto completing a spoiler! Beware!

Man, fuck you Theon!!! I was disappointed at how they handled the Rickon/Bran escape scene. COK SPOILER:
I was hoping they'd escape off camera and Theon would burn 2 bodies at the end of the episode, and we wouldn't see the 2 until the next episode. I don't even remember how it happened in the books, but the idea of the millions of people thinking Theon killed Bran and Rickon was so exciting to me.
continuing COK spoiler, but about next episode preview too:
I guess they can do it next episode since it looks like Theon is hunting them and maybe he'll "catch" them and burn the bodies without the audience knowing they are fakes.

Man, fuck you Theon!!! I was disappointed at how they handled the Rickon/Bran escape scene. COK SPOILER:
I was hoping they'd escape off camera and Theon would burn 2 bodies at the end of the episode, and we wouldn't see the 2 until the next episode. I don't even remember how it happened in the books, but the idea of the millions of people thinking Theon killed Bran and Rickon was so exciting to me.
continuing spoiler, but about next episode preview
I guess they can do it next episode since it looks like Theon is hunting them and maybe he'll "catch" them and burn the bodies without the audience knowing they are fakes.

ACOK
They can still possibly do that. We saw Bran and co. leave Winterfell. What they could do is not show them going back to the Winterfell Crypts (assuming this still happens) leaving the audience to think they're still out in the wild, then make it unknown exactly whose bodies Theon gets. Then again without also providing the bodies of Hodor and Osha that would be a stretch.

apana

My thoughts on last night's ep:

-Ygritte was perfect, even though she didn't say what we were all waiting for
-Clarke's Dany is acting a little too desperate and petty
-Is that tower what I think it is? Why did they make it a tower??
-Great KL riot scene. Pretty close to what I imagined. But no Bronn? Was he not in the book scene either?
-Finally some more Hound action. The more dialogue for Rory, the better.
-Tyrion was a badass yet again. So was Tywin.
-oh yeah, Natalie Tena...that was unexpected and awesome

I knew it was going to happen, parts of it were shown in two trailers.

KingGondo

Banned
I dunno if they can give him too much more -- he's already receiving a LOT (which is to our benefit because he has been phenomenal) more than we could have expected coming in.
Yeah, I know it's unrealistic. Dance is just so, so perfect as Tywin.

I still think having 12 episodes per season would have made the show immensely better, but it only having 10 eps per season is what it takes to keep it on the air, I can live with that.

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but what do we think about book Sandor vs. TV Sandor? I love both, but I think as with most of the subtle plot points in the books, they're beating you over the head with his feelings for Sansa so the unwashed masses don't miss it.

I REALLY hope we get (ACOK)
His drunken rant and making Sansa sing at the tail end of/after Blackwater

bengraven

continuing COK spoiler, but about next episode preview too:

Like Count said. Plus,
there's an entire chapter with Theon hunting for Bran and Rickon in the woods. That's the chapter that ends with Theon getting the bodies as alternates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom