• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
A thread about Ice and Fire that's derailing to the negative isn't complete until someone brings up Feast for Crows.

Okg7a.gif

George's Law states that "as discussion grows longer, a comparison to Feast for Crows will inevitably happen".

hahaha what is that from?

I predict you'll realize you meant this for the other thread, and then when you repost it over there I'll chastise you for it and post the spoiler rules again. ;)

Your prediction is halfway correct; I will no longer post this in the other thread :p

I didn't know we couldn't ask for predictions!

bengraven

I can't remember if it was the Emmys or Golden Globes.

He's so hesitant to be awarded anything or get any kind of exposure - this is him after they announced his nomination for best actor at one of those two awards shows.

gutshot

He's so hesitant to be awarded anything or get any kind of exposure - this is him after they announced his nomination for best actor at one of those two awards shows.

It's from the Golden Globes, the Emmys has auditorium seating.

Lothar

Banned
Meaning that picking and choosing scenes to try and support the 'they should have used this scene from the book' is tenuous at best and illustrates exactly the sort of problem with not judging each medium on its own merit. You are framing the question as choosing a book event over a scene that doesn't work. We have no way of knowing if that was the case.

I don't know what you're talking about. Take out the Harranhal exposition and put in it's place a better Arya scene. Let's say Arya trying to convince Gendry to help her kill guards so they can escape. (Since she only has one name left to give to Jaqen and they'll need more than 1 dead for them to be able to escape) There, it's now the case.

What if Arya blaming the old gods was for sake of Tywin/Arya or any other number of scenes that have worked? Who knows.

We do, because that makes no sense. Why would they have to remove a good scene from a lot earlier to add in a good scene this week?

In addition, to those very 'legitimate' complaints of acting, directing, budget, sets, etc. etc; would exist regardless.

The acting and sets are great. Especially for Arya and Harranhal, the story we're talking about. The budget is expected and season 1 was near flawless with the same budget. Those are actually the complaints that are not legitimate.

Snake

God damn this thread.

So yeah, I can understand where people might be getting annoyed, but it's getting kind of ridiculous in here, so I think I'll calm down my viewing of this thread for a while. It's reminding me too much of the websites and forums created just to bitch about when GRRM is going to write the next book and despite having visited and enjoyed those sites because I was also angry, the negativity gets eye-rolling at times.

Agreed.

Whenever I see new posts here I enter with the hope of interesting conversation.
And then
iKkPa8FvgPgaK.gif

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me

gotcha, thank you. He has become my favorite character in the show and the books, just like many people. He's just the most interesting and charismatic.

Although, ASOS:
After ASOS I'm wondering where the f he went and what happened to him

1000+ page book being reduced to ~10 hours of show time = things get cut and modified. If this was a 26 episode season then most of the complaints would be valid.

If this was a 26 episode season there would be more complaints about pacing i think. While I do think 10 episodes is to small, I think a 13 episode season would do wonders for the series. 3 extra episodes is plenty of time considering what they HAVE been able to pack into 10 episodes. 150 extra minutes is really all the seasons would need. I mean Season 1 was pretty great when it came to adapting all the major aspects (minus the budgetary restraints such as less DireWolf involvement and no Tyrion Battle) but I do feel like season 2 could have already benefitted from an extra episode or 2, but seeing as SOS is getting 20 episodes, (likely mixed in with some CoK and AFFC segments) This seems a moot point.

You ate right, I apologize for calling him a baby. It is in poor form. As far as Dan and Dave not carrying about the zealous book fans, I shouldn't have been so hyperbolic. They obviously do care, but I'd wager a bet that the book fans are near the bottom when it comes to who they are trying to appeal to.

You ate right, I apologize for calling him a baby. It is in poor form. As far as Dan and Dave not carrying about the zealous book fans, I shouldn't have been so hyperbolic. They obviously do care, but I'd wager a bet that the book fans are near the bottom when it comes to who they are trying to appeal to.

book fans will watch the show no matter what for the most part. They need to care about the nonbook fans.

Sotha Sil

Though I respect the disappointed comments, I must say the negativity does spoil a part of the fun. Though I'll say WiC's twitter recap provides a perfect counterpoint to this thread: the over-the-top enthusiasm is kind of refreshing. So thanks for that, gutshot.

Maffis

I don't mind the skipping of certain parts that doesn't really matter to the story, nor the new focus on Ros (she actually replaces someone else now which makes it fine), but what I don't like is when they fuck up the characters themselves, which they have been doing lately.

some book spoilers
Jaime killed his own cousin? He would never do that. Kinslaying is the worst thing a man can do, and in book 3 he was supposed to be on the road of redemption after the Bran incident, but there is no way a viewer can sympathize with him now after murdering his cousin like that.

Arya was supposed to be on a road of vengeance and to get stronger, but what have we seen so far? Not much, all she does is pour whine. Where is the training? Where are the names she is supposed to mutter 24/7? They haven't developed her enough.

Jon? He was supposed to be a little smarter than what he is.

apana

book fans will watch the show no matter what for the most part. They need to care about the nonbook fans.

It's not like episode 8 was loved by non book fans from what I can tell, a really mediocre reception for a mediocre episode, even that Otaku guy was not pleased. Besides I don't believe that it needs to be book vs non book fans. No one is going into the other thread and complaining about deviations fromt the books, at least I hope they are not, this is the thread where complaints are naturally going to arise. Oh and I don't care what explanations and excuses anyone comes up with, the Jon storyline is just a failure on the part of the people making the show. It's sad because they put so much effort into it and it all started off so well, I really want to know who was responsible for those changes specifically.

Vyer

I don't know what you're talking about. Take out the Harranhal exposition and put in it's place a better Arya scene. Let's say Arya trying to convince Gendry to help her kill guards so they can escape. (Since she only has one name left to give to Jaqen and they'll need more than 1 dead for them to be able to escape) There, it's now the case.

Ah, sorry I must have accidentally left a sentence out. What I mean is we don't know what any book scene was cut for. Could be for something that worked, could be for something that did not. Hence one of the problems with book complaints.

We do, because that makes no sense. Why would they have to remove a good scene from a lot earlier to add in a good scene this week?

That's not meant literally. It could be any good scene.

The acting and sets are great. Especially for Arya and Harranhal, the story we're talking about. The budget is expected and season 1 was near flawless with the same budget. Those are actually the complaints that are not legitimate.

So basically you are fine with everything but leaving book stuff out. Which brings us back to the beginning. Why act like you are taking exception to your complaints being categorized as exactly what they are?

Lothar

Banned

Book fans are complaining because they want the show to be better for nonbook fans. When I say that they're making a mistake by not giving Arya more hardships and opportunities to show her bravery, I'm saying that because nonbook fans would like even better if they did that. Book fans already know how brave she is. We don't want it in there for us.

So basically you are fine with everything but leaving book stuff out. Which brings us back to the beginning. Why act like you are taking exception to your complaints being categorized as exactly what they are?

How are they being categorized? If it's that we want it to be identical to the books, then that's clearly idiotic. If it's that we want certain scenes from the book to be in it because it would make for a better story, then yeah, that's correct.

- NY Post: War comes to King's landing *spoilers for Sunday's episode*

Some of that is recycled from the EW.com article, but there's also a few quotes from the Elio @ Westeros.

Also, NCW on Kimmel last night:
- Part 1 (youtube)
- Part 2 (youtube)

h0pper! :D I didn't know you were watching the show.

Your prediction is halfway correct; I will no longer post this in the other thread :p I didn't know we couldn't ask for predictions!
Thanks! ;) The asking for predictions gets a little tedious when a lot of people from this thread are going in there and doing it. There are a bunch of recent predictions in that thread without our poking and prodding.

bengraven

gotcha, thank you. He has become my favorite character in the show and the books, just like many people. He's just the most interesting and charismatic.

Although, ASOS:
After ASOS I'm wondering where the f he went and what happened to him

tumblr_lgkyi2ysoU1qc700b.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't mind the skipping of certain parts that doesn't really matter to the story, nor the new focus on Ros (she actually replaces someone else now which makes it fine), but what I don't like is when they fuck up the characters themselves, which they have been doing lately.

some book spoilers
Jaime killed his own cousin? He would never do that. Kinslaying is the worst thing a man can do, and in book 3 he was supposed to be on the road of redemption after the Bran incident, but there is no way a viewer can sympathize with him now after murdering his cousin like that.
I'm not sure I agree with that point. [ASoS]
I can see them changing the story a bit so Jaime directly intervenes and stops Brienne from getting raped (instead of him just rescuing her from Harrenhal which stops it) and they'll make that the reason he looses his hand. Most viewers will see him in a different light after that and they won't care about him killing his cousin. Even if they don't do it like that, most non-readers think him pushing Bran out of the tower was worse than him killing his cousin because they don't know how bad kinslaying is regarded in Westeros.

calza

I'm not sure I agree with that point. [ASoS]
I can see them changing the story a bit so Jaime directly intervenes and stops Brienne from getting raped (instead of him just rescuing her from Harrenhal which stops it) and they'll make that the reason he looses his hand. Most viewers will see him in a different light after that and they won't care about him killing his cousin. Even if they don't do it like that, most non-readers think him pushing Bran out of the tower was worse than him killing his cousin because they don't know how bad kinslaying is regarded in Westeros.

Series
In ASOS he stops them raping Brienne by saying she a Tarth and her father will pay for her in diamonds. He then rescues her from the bear pit.

He loses his hand because Vargo suspects Bolton may be trying to switch to Lannisters. Vargo can't really switch again so he cuts off Jaime's hand to create a wedge between Tywin and Roose. Jaime however tells Bolton that his father will know he played no part in his maiming.

I hope The Brave Companions are in it as it shows how wretched the Lannisters can be, they will probably be cut though.

Fuzzy

Series
In ASOS he stops them raping Brienne by saying she a Tarth and her father will pay for her in diamonds. He then rescues her from the bear pit.

He loses his hand because Vargo suspects Bolton may be trying to switch to Lannisters. Vargo can't really switch again so he cuts off Jaime's hand to create a wedge between Tywin and Roose. Jaime however tells Bolton that his father will know he played no part in his maiming.

I hope The Brave Companions are in it as it shows how wretched the Lannisters can be, they will probably be cut though.
I forgot about
him lying to them about how rich her family was to stop the first rape (there's a second where she bites off Hoat's ear that isn't shown in the book) but that's not the point of my post. He said Jaime can't come back in viewer's eyes from killing his cousin and I argued it's very easy since most think pushing Bran was worse.

bengraven

Mindfuck.

No, not that Oona is Chaplin's granddaughter: that's played out.

Oona was the chick who's name Sherlock couldn't remember and he finally remembered she was the boring teacher.

tumblr_lxypk0ivsv1r6zxl0o1_500.gif

tumblr_lx6h1zZ5iG1r4e10po2_250.gif

tumblr_lx6h1zZ5iG1r4e10po3_250.gif

tumblr_lx6h1zZ5iG1r4e10po4_250.gif

Snake

I've always wondered what percentage of people who think this show looks cheap are watching it on their computers.

Whenever I saw footage from Episode 9 on youtube (at the highest resolution possible), I thought to myself "well this is actually fairly lackluster. A shame they couldn't spend a little more on these scenes."

And then I saw the most recent preview airing on HBO on my HDTV, and it seriously looked 100 times more impressive. Sure, things always look better on a good TV, but I don't usually notice such a drastic improvement.

Sunday is coming way too slowly.

edit:
Mindfuck.

Oona was the chick who's name Sherlock couldn't remember and he finally remembered she was the boring teacher.
What???

I feel like I would have noticed this. I watched the latest season of Sherlock after I had seen Oona in The Hour and had known about her casting in Game of Thrones.

gutshot

Though I respect the disappointed comments, I must say the negativity does spoil a part of the fun. Though I'll say WiC's twitter recap provides a perfect counterpoint to this thread: the over-the-top enthusiasm is kind of refreshing. So thanks for that, gutshot.

You're welcome! Credit for those posts goes to one of my site contributors, Fire and Blood. He does a great job with them.

Dude, don't encourage gutshot. He's going to post that gif again. *covers eyes*

I don't plan on subjecting you all to that twice in one season. Although, I make no promises.

I was hoping you were talking about Oona Chaplin dancing in that video and that someone gif'd it. :(

I saw a gif of her shaking her hips in one of the vids on ONTD (which is originally how I found the videos) a while back but now I can't find it again. I want to have it for reasons.

Fuzzy

I saw a gif of her shaking her hips in one of the vids on ONTD (which is originally how I found the videos) a while back and but now I can't find it again. I want to have it for reasons.
Yes, reasons. I'm looking forward to Plywood fulfilling my request also for reasons.

Fuzzy

Thanks Plywood and thank you bengraven for those also. It's things like this that make up for some of the bickering in this thread. :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Saw this on imgur, no idea if real or not:

http://imgur.com/gallery/RO8Wz
He talked about that in this interview too.

How do you make decisions about the depictions of sexual violence that you include in your writing?

Well, I'm not writing about contemporary sex—it's medieval.

There's a more general question here that doesn't just affect sex or rape, and that's this whole issue of what is gratuitous? What should be depicted? I have gotten letters over the years from readers who don't like the sex, they say it's "gratuitous." I think that word gets thrown around and what it seems to mean is "I didn't like it." This person didn't want to read it, so it's gratuitous to that person. And if I'm guilty of having gratuitous sex, then I'm also guilty of having gratuitous violence, and gratuitous feasting, and gratuitous description of clothes, and gratuitous heraldry, because very little of this is necessary to advance the plot. But my philosophy is that plot advancement is not what the experience of reading fiction is about. If all we care about is advancing the plot, why read novels? We can just read Cliffs Notes.

A novel for me is an immersive experience where I feel as if I have lived it and that I've tasted the food and experienced the sex and experienced the terror of battle. So I want all of the detail, all of the sensory things—whether it's a good experience, or a bad experience, I want to put the reader through it. To that mind, detail is necessary, showing not telling is necessary, and nothing is gratuitous.

It was kind of awkward how long it took the girl to take off Robb's shirt thing. They were trying to keep it passionate you can tell but it was taking forever.

/random

Justin

About the preview for the next episode.

COK
From the preview it looks like they might just be cutting out any of the naval battle stuff and all the fighting will be on foot. Probably a good choice given the budget and it would explain the lack of the building of the chain. My favorite part about the battle in the book was the 40 or 50 ridiculous ship names that Martin threw out in like 5 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom